Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: VFacts March..Mazda wins AGAIN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
Agree I purchased a XR 50th in 2010 and the car has been great no issues at all so far. But the car does not suit my wife as a daily as she says it's too big to go to shopping centres. I really don't need a car of this size nowadays myself as the family has grown up and I only use it to travel to work and very occasionally into the country side. A small car would be suffient but it's a mindset that I like bigger local cars so prefer them over smaller cars but why a person with 2 or 3 children that don’t go off road on a regular basis would buy a SUV costly to repair suck fuel and are ordinarily cars to drive.
They are the vehicles that a robbing Falcon and Holden of sales for family cars.
It's an awful analogy but the difference in internal space between a Focus and a Falcon is
roughly 100mm in shoulder room and 125mm rear leg room - about a palm width in both directions.
While Ford would never lengthen and widen a Focus to do that, it proves the point that the
difference in space between a small car like that and a big car is not that much, where the difference
comes in is all the extra fluff motor companies put around it to gain perception of added value
and features of performance and towing ability not found or arguably needed in a small car.

Last edited by jpd80; 03-04-2012 at 11:21 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for people that are hurting with the cost of living
it`s hard to see them picking a big sedan in the upper fuel usage bracket when they can get a medium size car you can make do with that uses a tad less fuel and with a lower outright purchase cost.
in my book this the main reason why people are going for the small/medium size pos, the sad part about it is no matter how good the big car is and how mediocre the medium small car is, if people are cost cutting (as a lot of the population is)the smaller vehicle will get sale.
It will be interesting to see the figures at the end of 2012 with the diesel terri and 4 potter falcon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

While there's a disconnect with retail sales, the loss of fleets is the biggest problem for big car makers.
Having two very fuel efficient alternatives for fleets is key to Falcon's long term survival:
- EcoLPI, a large LPG car has traditionally been popular with fleets - Holden has one too
- Ecoboost, a frugal I-4 turbo, a lighter car, four cylinder credentials - Holden doesn't have one
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Pretty simple really, sell a strong reliable car and people will tell their friends, and keep buying them.

I know a few people who buy Mazda's and swear by them. They are the new Toyota!

Ford on the other hand builds cars that are years ahead in design, but lack what the general public look for, reliability!!
See ... now its these statements that irks me to tears. I have had EVERY model Falcon new since an XD Station wagon ...... I would guess approximately 35 Fords I have owned while currently in the 'Fleet' is a G6E, Territory, Ranger & FG GT 335. Yes, showing my age but remember when dad traded the ZC on a new ZF Fairlane on top of what I have had, have been involved in a few. There are just as many reasons why people BUY cars and Ford sell to those who appreciate a good thing and reliability is one of them.

Reliability is Fords strong point ........ perception may be a weak point and constant statements like these on a forum dedicated to the brand is probably another reason. Really .... what hope have they got. You might have had a problem with a couple but in the scheme of things, they are a bloody great car, in design, BFYB & reliability ..... believe it or not.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
See ... now its these statements that irks me to tears. I have had EVERY model Falcon new since an XD Station wagon ...... I would guess approximately 35 Fords I have owned while currently in the 'Fleet' is a G6E, Territory, Ranger & FG GT 335. Yes, showing my age but remember when dad traded the ZC on a new ZF Fairlane on top of what I have had, have been involved in a few. There are just as many reasons why people BUY cars and Ford sell to those who appreciate a good thing and reliability is one of them.

Reliability is Fords strong point ........ perception may be a weak point and constant statements like these on a forum dedicated to the brand is probably another reason. Really .... what hope have they got. You might have had a problem with a couple but in the scheme of things, they are a bloody great car, in design, BFYB & reliability ..... believe it or not.
I know several people who had BA Falcons and SX Territory's 5 - 10 years ago who now hate the brand, simply because of silly things like warped brakes, rust, balljoints, diff bushes and **** dealer service. People will not continue buying your product regardless of how good it is if the quality is crap.

Ford need a big wake up call.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #36
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

But you will also have those who continue to buy because they are reliable. I for one would not and do not have the crap load of money to waste over such a long period of time on something that is crap. Not that stupid believe it or not.

Despite some small issues like those above ...... (had BA warped brakes, easy fix and bad dealer experiences, easy fix), there are of course some things that can and have been improved. A few specific problems, ball joints which has been addressed, diff bushes (hopefully .... jury still out) for the quantities that have been sold is for me and many 1000's been a good experience and no reason to change. Sheep will be sheep and having a Mazda 3 must be the going thing.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
But you will also have those who continue to buy because they are reliable. I for one would not and do not have the crap load of money to waste over such a long period of time on something that is crap. Not that stupid believe it or not.

Despite some small issues like those above ...... (had BA warped brakes, easy fix and bad dealer experiences, easy fix), there are of course some things that can and have been improved. A few specific problems, ball joints which has been addressed, diff bushes (hopefully .... jury still out) for the quantities that have been sold is for me and many 1000's been a good experience and no reason to change. Sheep will be sheep and having a Mazda 3 must be the going thing.
Well for 20 kay you get alloys and cruise control :P

Another thing that Ford struggles with that Mazda has downpat is supply, we get ripped off big time in the grand scheme of things (Focus and Ranger continue to hurt due to no supply).
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #38
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Reliabilty isnt a Mazda strong suit. Trust me I work there.
My wife and I are now on our 4th mazda since 2004 (3 mazda 3's and a BT50 SDX. All had manual gearboxes) and all have been pretty much faultless reliability wise.
The only one that had a couple of minor issue was my 2007 MPS3 which had a idler pulley crap itself and a bose speaker die.
I modded that car (suspension, wheels/tyres and bolt on power upgrades) and tracked it and it still held up well. It is currently still going with no issues with the person who bought it off of me in 2009.

At the moment we only have the wifes SP25 sedan and my FPV F6 as our daily drive cars (I still have the V8 XP coupe and my old VRX magna), reason i moved on from the mazdas was i wanted a large turbo'd RWD car and Ford/FPV just happened to build what i wanted. (I wont class my G6ET as a good expierience considering how much of a lemon it was, so that car is quickly disgarded as one ive owned)

Id have no issues buying another Mazda if they had what i wanted in there range.

Last edited by zoomie; 04-04-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Well for 20 kay you get alloys and cruise control :P

Another thing that Ford struggles with that Mazda has downpat is supply, we get ripped off big time in the grand scheme of things (Focus and Ranger continue to hurt due to no supply).
.......... massively. To the point where Ranger in near extinct here and Focus is on the endangered list. If these were worse cars than what they are, supply then would not be a problem.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #40
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Mazda win on the whole ownership experience. I've never had a warranty issue with them either. First they dont have many issues in the cars and if they do, Mazda fix the cars without argument and fix it right. Yes there will be exceptions to that, but really they are in a different league when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Meanwhile Fords shipping Territories with rust already on them, that somehow got past quality assurance and are just waiting for their new owners to discover the joy that their 50K+ car needs work on it while its not even a year old. One example but there are many. Not hard to figure which brand has figured out what the market expects.

Ford needs to realise the days of being one of the big three is over. If they don't wake up to quality and customer service, then my guess is they are a year or two from permanently dropping out of the top five in Australia.
That just about hits the nail on the head.

I have a little over 12 months before my lease is up on my G6ET and it will be the last Ford I buy.

I'm just over it all. With the crap quality of finish and then you have to nearly have a title fight to get them to admit there is a problem.

As far as I'm concerned they went backward in quality control when the FG came out.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
That just about hits the nail on the head.

I have a little over 12 months before my lease is up on my G6ET and it will be the last Ford I buy.

I'm just over it all. With the crap quality of finish and then you have to nearly have a title fight to get them to admit there is a problem.

As far as I'm concerned they went backward in quality control when the FG came out.
may i ask what state you are in, and do you use country dealer or big city, i do believe these have a bearing on many aspects of car satisfaction..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #42
Buntz
Straight Eight

Fords problem is they don't advertise. And when they do... their advertising sucks.

Funny how people say the Mazda 3 is performing better than Ford product. When the Mazda 3 is off of Ford's C1 platform.

And despite all this as Boss said. Mazda is losing billions of dollars, and are looking to partner up with someone as they are simply in hot water as far as goes. So they may be selling these but are they making money off of them? ford is posting huge surplus of cash globally. But as far as Australia actually goes. They aren't attacking the market... their just watching their share slide. But by the looks of the Falcon MkII website... looks like they might be gearing up for a campaign to get back in there. Hopefully they've hit rock bottom and now it's up time.

Go Ford.

And all you Ford hating rappers. Everyone is waiting for you at ls1 or gminsidenews or camrylovers or wherever you're from.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #43
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Fords problem is they don't advertise. And when they do... their advertising sucks.

Funny how people say the Mazda 3 is performing better than Ford product. When the Mazda 3 is off of Ford's C1 platform.

And despite all this as Boss said. Mazda is losing billions of dollars, and are looking to partner up with someone as they are simply in hot water as far as goes. So they may be selling these but are they making money off of them? ford is posting huge surplus of cash globally. But as far as Australia actually goes. They aren't attacking the market... their just watching their share slide. But by the looks of the Falcon MkII website... looks like they might be gearing up for a campaign to get back in there. Hopefully they've hit rock bottom and now it's up time.

Go Ford.

And all you Ford hating rappers. Everyone is waiting for you at ls1 or gminsidenews or camrylovers or wherever you're from.
dont confuse ford with falcon..
ford forums not falcon forums, i am a car enthusiast. that prefers holden.

would i by a ford? yes...as long its not an australian made one..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #44
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Which raises the question as to what really is the independent variable between the Mazda3 and the Focus?

By rights, if the platform is the same winning platform, they should be selling both in equal measure. Yet, one is completely trashing the other.

Is there a difference in build quality? Is it lack of supply? Is it because the indicator stalk is on the wrong side? Is it the difference the Ford Dealer network?

If Ford was selling as many Focus and Mazda is selling the 3, we would all be nodding our heads wisely talking about Ford’s brilliant adaption to a new small car reality. But it is not happening …
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #45
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about Ford drop the Focus and bring back the Telstar ?? ie the Mazda 3 badged as Telstar ? Which Ford did in the 1980's .
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #46
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

The C1 platform was not Ford's on their own it was a joint development between Volvo, Ford and Mazda.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #47
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Everyone that has one raves about how reliable they are. My parents have had a few and they have been faultless.
Agreed, many I know that have them can't fault them.
I liked the first gen more so than the second gen but that is due to a style thing. There is nothing really wrong with the Mazda 3, it is a great car.
Mazda deserve the sales figures.
The Focus is a damn good car too, the sales aren't too bad for it.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #48
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
How about Ford drop the Focus and bring back the Telstar ?? ie the Mazda 3 badged as Telstar ? Which Ford did in the 1980's .
Mazda 3 ne 323 was Laser.

Mazda 6 ne 626 was Telstar.

And both of those suggestions are contrary to One Ford. So not a chance.

Lukeyson
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #49
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Mazda 3 ne 323 was Laser.

Mazda 6 ne 626 was Telstar.

And both of those suggestions are contrary to One Ford. So not a chance.

Lukeyson
That would be better..the 626 to replace Focus..then Ford might get good sales !!! One Ford might be good in theory, but not in practice.......
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #50
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
FG is a big step up over B series. 1 persons experience is not an accurate cross section of the brand.

same goes for dealer servicing/experience etc. so many people crucify the brand over one or two stories or experiences they have heard of, or had themselves. again, not an accurate indication of the brand as a whole.

like others, i have had every model since XF and would class them as a very reliable, good value product, and will continue to buy and promote them.

so many people think that because they don't suit their needs, then they don't suit anyone's needs. many need to look at things from a much broader point of view.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #51
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

I had warped rotors on my BA turbo, got them fixed. No dramas. At the time it was the best car I had owned.

Now Im on my FG turbo...it has been faultless. The FG is a cut above the BA.

Happy Falcon customer here.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #52
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

One Ford is utter rubbish. What happened to different variants to suit different markets? Focus sales have tanked in Europe as the Europeans (expecting something sharp to drive) haven't warmed to the car's feel-free steering. European drivers have at least flocked to the far superior Fiesta.
Gotta love One Ford; destroying sales in international markets just to cut costs. Why does Ford have to be run by Murrcans who can't see past the length of their own noses?
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #53
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
One Ford is utter rubbish. What happened to different variants to suit different markets? Focus sales have tanked in Europe as the Europeans (expecting something sharp to drive) haven't warmed to the car's feel-free steering. European drivers have at least flocked to the far superior Fiesta.
Gotta love One Ford; destroying sales in international markets just to cut costs. Why does Ford have to be run by Murrcans who can't see past the length of their own noses?
i don't think you understand what is meant by 'one ford'!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #54
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Markets are shifting structurally - everyone is downsizing. For the Americans that means moving from full size SUV's/Crown vic size cars down to Medium size Fusions and SUVs. For us its seems to be away from Commodore/Falcon and into Mazda 3 size cars and compact SUVs, while for the europeans its moving from Focus size cars into Fiesta sized vehicles.

As long as Ford captures a significant slice of people down-sizing (which seems to be the case) its all good!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #55
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The question needs to be asked again, whats so great about the Mazda 3. There are at least 3 or 4 better cars in its class.
You do have to hand it to Mazda Australia, they have done a brilliant job on their brand image here in Australia because in their home country Japan and even the US it has no where near the same image and is considered inferior to Toyota, Nissan and Honda by a fair shot.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #56
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What a total load of crap.. Please look at the facts before writing!!

If being the best selling car in UK is tanking, I wish Falcon would tank hard!!

http://www.fleetworldgroup.co.uk/new...45/0434004827/
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #57
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
What a total load of crap.. Please look at the facts before writing!!

If being the best selling car in UK is tanking, I wish Falcon would tank hard!!

http://www.fleetworldgroup.co.uk/new...45/0434004827/
The Fiesta is the UK's best selling car. However, as a previous poster mentioned, it could just be down to people downsizing from a Focus for, say, tax reasons. Either way, reviews of the new Focus have been lacklustre compared to the reception that the old Focus received.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because it is an American owned and run company?

Be thankful One Ford is there, it's the only thing saving Falcon...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #59
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Because it is an American owned and run company?

Ford Europe and Asia is losing money while the bulk of profit comes from Ford North America,
it is you who doesn't understand One Ford, sales in America of Ford and Lincoln came
within 4,500 sales of GM NA - that would have been unheard of a decade ago.
I wasn't looking at things from the point of view of the business itself. I certainly wasn't doubting that One Ford didn't increase Dearborn's profits and sales. It has also transformed Ford's American range (while the new Focus is a step backward compared to the old Focus, the new Focus is a considerable step forward compared to the old Yank Focus). It has allowed for a shift in perception of the brand in the US. To the US buyer, Ford are no longer selling outdated offerings years behind the competition; they are bringing the game forward with stylish and comparatively dynamic European inspired vehicles. Ford are no longer the 'gas guzzler' company; reviewers rave about Ford's small cars in the US, and sales back this up.
However, I don't work for Ford, I'm just a car enthusiast, and from the point of view of this particular car enthusiast, One Ford isn't healthy. I just can't help thinking that One Ford was implemented from a strictly American perspective.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #60
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Be thankful One Ford is there, it's the only thing saving Falcon...
Because of One Ford, we risk losing what makes the Falcon great...