Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Those Kangaroo things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I got the whistle. Biggest POS ever bought. I guess u do get what u pay for.
But yours worked - in your post above, you said you nearly hit 3 - I'd imagine if you didn't have them fitted, you may have actually hit one.........perhaps!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #32
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly, the idea of noise “repelling” animals is basically crap. If Roos had a natural predator, and you could mimic that sound then perhaps, but they don’t.
For whatever reason, roos aren’t capable of perceiving a fast moving vehicle as a threat, otherwise we wouldn’t hit them in the first place. They certainly don’t perceive horns, whistles, or any other accoutrements as a threat.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #33
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Here's my 2c worth. I use the $2 cheapy twin aperture whistlers and I reacon they make a difference. I've done alot of night driving over the years and from personal experience they made a difference when fitted. I used to bulk haul mail between Bathurst and Mudgee which is one of the worst spots in the country for roo strike insurance claims and I used to hit roos at least 2 a week in my truck but after I stuck 4 whistlers across the front of the trucks bullbar it reduced the strike rate to less than 1 a month. They don't scare them off, that's not what they're supposed to do IMO but what they do in fact do is make a roo stop - prop - and have a look to see where the noise is coming from and that's all you need it to do because by the time you've spooked it into moving again you're already passing it. There'll always be the odd roo that was in a blind spot or behind something and didn't hear you coming that'll pop out and catch you out and you still have to be alert and drive defensively and yes you will have to take evasive action from time to time but they do make a difference. At least the ones I buy do. I've tried the single ones that stick up on posts like the ones Mr Hardware posted but most don't work real well and if they do it doesn't take much to block them but these .....

....are the ones I grab when I find them and they've been on all our vehicles for years and the only roo I've ever hit in one of my cars was just as the sun was coming up on a blind right hand corner where a roo came up out of a gully on the side of the road and popped out from behind a bush so I had no nowhere to go and no time to stop. A rule of thumb that has served me well is that a roo in motion will remain in motion but a roo standing still will remain standing still till you've gone by; so far that rule has not let me down. These days I don't even look for roos as such, just motion, cos if it's standing still it's not a problem. Often I don't see stationary roos till I'm almost on top of them unless they're actually on the road or right on the verge because I'm scanning up the road for movement.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #34
staity

LOL Mine Flail I love it, wonder if one will fit on the ute???

As for those twin aperture ones i used to do a similar run to bushbasher Lithgow to Kandos at ungodly hours of the morning and night, and the first week i had one on the car hit (only lightly thankfully) the first and only roo for 4 years. I put it down more to good luck than anything else, if you want to beleive they work go for it but im yet to see proof.
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #35
cowboy
Cowboy

I had the whistles on the front of my ute for a long time, they made bugger all difference in my opinion. Thank god for the 5 poster. I did the Nullabor at night once, I stopped and set up camp after the 10th roo.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4