Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #31
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: Take the car industry. It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Hate to point out the obvious, but the issues this country face wont just affect the car industry. We are now seeing job losses in the retail and financial industries. At the end of the day - we are all competing with overseas workers and they will work for a lot less (not saying we should work for less) But i am suggesting Australia is in an intresting time at the moment.

Unemployment is tipped to rise and if the car industry were to shut up shop the loss of jobs and flow on affects of the loss of jobs would be quite devestating for our economy.

FYI I was informed and will see if I can find some facts but last year the governemnt purchased 21,000 vehicles from overseas - so its not as if they are supporting the local industry.
For some reason, Australia is not taking advantage of it's cheapest and most abundant assets - energy and resources!

Why? Oh yeah, it causes global warming and we must stop using carbon based energy to save the world

As for the Government purchases of import vehicles; that's a fringe benefit for Government employees that are not public servants - work that out
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #32
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
The real problem with the Auto industry in this country is solely the price of Petrol.
Knock that back to $1 a litre and you wouldnt be able to keep up with demand for new large cars.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. Now they are f@#king with the price of LPG, so people will think twice about that aswell.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
Well said, I couldn't agree more. Now they are f@#king with the price of LPG, so people will think twice about that aswell.
Wait till the Carbon Tax comes in.

Old 15-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
For some reason, Australia is not taking advantage of it's cheapest and most abundant assets - energy and resources!

Why? Oh yeah, it causes global warming and we must stop using carbon based energy to save the world

As for the Government purchases of import vehicles; that's a fringe benefit for Government employees that are not public servants - work that out
We do actually, we sell brown and black coal to China they turn that into cheap electricity and charge it out at approx. $0.03 per kwH. We do the same thing here but it costs us about $0.30 per kwH.

As long as the caron isnt produced in Oz we are fine

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We do actually, we sell brown and black coal to China they turn that into cheap electricity and charge it out at approx. $0.03 per kwH. We do the same thing here but it costs us about $0.30 per kwH.
If it costs us more, then we're not taking advantage of our cheap power/resources.

Governments have to look at the added charges they add on from the beginning of the charge line to the end -

levies, taxes, fines, etc.

They are all added on somewhere.

Old 15-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
Kryton

Quote:
If it costs us more, then we're not taking advantage of our cheap power/resources.

Governments have to look at the added charges they add on from the beginning of the charge line to the end -

levies, taxes, fines, etc.

They are all added on somewhere.
The government needs to stop being so greedy with taxes.
Tax this, tax that and then waste all of it on other crap that doesnt benefit this country.
Every year they cry poor, even after they've introduced another tax.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #37
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The government needs to stop being so greedy with taxes.
Tax this, tax that and then waste all of it on other crap that doesnt benefit this country.
Every year they cry poor, even after they've introduced another tax.
Yes and soon more and more people will realise this issue doesnt just affect the car industry - I know guys in the financial industry who are now nervous, why cause they just learned their jobs could be sourced at a far cheaper rate overseas.

Accountants are shipping paperwork offshore to India, they can train an Indian student to be able to complete tasks to the latest Australian standards for around $20K pa. Try to find an Australian Accountant who will work for $20K

Old 15-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #38
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes and soon more and more people will realise this issue doesnt just affect the car industry - I know guys in the financial industry who are now nervous, why cause they just learned their jobs could be sourced at a far cheaper rate overseas.

Accountants are shipping paperwork offshore to India, they can train an Indian student to be able to complete tasks to the latest Australian standards for around $20K pa. Try to find an Australian Accountant who will work for $20K
It's cost of living that determines wages.

Australian workers have to pay a fee on everything they look at, levies for stupid Governments that forget to insure themselves, levies on anything that the Government wants to squeeze a dollar out of, new and increased taxes, Government Department charges, inspection and licensing fees, ever increasing and easily obtainable fines, etc

These costs all add up, they need to be paid. Then we can add what it costs for us to live - Food, transport, electricity, etc.

Finally we can add the cost of enjoying the fruits of our labour - entertainment.

Don't blame the Australian worker, don't blame the overseas worker, don't blame the business.

Have a look at where the added costs come form first! Have a look over the past 24 months; money wasted on insulation for free, Government wages, Carbon Tax, etc.

And I don't subscribe to the belief that "pay peanuts, get monkeys". That's bull!

Old 15-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #39
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It cost of living that determines wages.

Australian workers have to pay a fee on everything they look at, levies for stupid Governments that forget to insure themselves, levies on anything that the Government wants to squeeze a dollar out of, new and increased taxes, Government Department charges, inspection and licensing fees, ever increasing and easily obtainable fines, etc

These costs all add up, they need to be paid. Then we can add what it costs for us to live - Food, transport, electricity, etc.

Finally we can add the cost of enjoying the fruits of our labour - entertainment.

Don't blame the Australian worker, don't blame the overseas worker, don't blame the business.

Have a look at where the added costs come form first! Have a look over the past 24 months; money wasted on insulation for free, Government wages, Carbon Tax, etc.

And I don't subscribe to the belief that "pay peanuts, get monkeys". That's bull!
Agreed, no I am not blaming the Australian worker, or the overseas worker. The issues I am refering to as you quite rightly pointed out have a lot to do with the short comings of our government (both past and present) The examples I have provided above is what is happening at the moment, I dont like it, but thats what's happening

I work in the steel industry and we can buy steel cheaper overseas, than we can from our local mills (who are under threat) The annoying thing is the overseas mills use Australian iron ore and coking coal to manufacture their steel,

I dont subscribe to "pay peanuts get monkeys" I go out of my way and pay more to support local jobs - because I beleive it is important that this nation keeps as many people employed as possible. Look at the mess some Euro countries are in with youth unemployemnt heading towards 30% - I dont want that happening here.

Old 15-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #40
dddd

I honestly believe the car industry is dead, however the federal government wont want it to officially start to close up during its reign in power, so they will throw any amount of money at it to prolong the death and the car manufactures know this so they will demand ridiculas large amounts knowing full well they will be given it.

The present government has done three main things to ensure not only the car industry gets hit but all industry in general

1 Rudd's "renewable energy policy" a certain percentage of electricity must be green and this percentage must increase every year. We must remember renewable energy is approximately ten times more costly to produce the coal powered.

2 The new work place regulations have made it far more difficult for people that run there companies to compete with overseas companies

3 the carbon tax will crucify Australian companies competitive capabilities

Australia only ever had one advantage for its industry and that was cheap power (coal) Hell the government must know this and has deliberately attacked it, one can only assume it wants living standards in Australia to be lowered and has certainly done whats necessary to achieve that goal
All this talk of how to save the car industry amuses me as the policy changes to kill it off has already been implemented, the government has decided all industry is to take a hit (they simply would not have done the above otherwise) and with the government against you your nothing more than shot sheep
But hey the greens will be happy and that's the important thing
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
My old man says sometimes, "Australia has no place making cars anymore." I hate agreeing with it but sometimes I think he has a point...
A difficult time we live in.
There is a need for car manufacture and this can be done succesfully but a smaller cleaner smarter build situation which means real investement in high tech solutions also people realising a more economical car can still perform without driving like a boat . Many Euro designs fit this nomenclature easily and personally a Modeo sized rwd 3 litre wagon would get my vote and money (but then I currently own several Euro's)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
It's cost of living that determines wages.
and while a shoebox bare bones house costs a minimum of $300k, that ain't going to bet better any time soon.

somethings got to give sooner or later. economists are making predictions that something will.

Quote:
The real problem with the Auto industry in this country is solely the price of Petrol.
that wouldn't explain the massive hike in the suv/4wd segment though would it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post