Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #31
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Default Re: Chrysler to Join V8 Supercars?

A 3rd brand like Chrysler or Dodge would be a perfect fit, just what the series needs come it's 2013 freshen up.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #32
ford lover

It would be good for other makes to join in,including Holden and Ford!Those cars have nothing to do with the two makes,except for the sheet metal.Bring back the old days!Dont both supercars run 9 inch diffs?Somewhere they lost the plot.

Last edited by ford lover; 27-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
ford lover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
Majestic

you're right mate! its a two horse (dinosaur) race year in year out! In the world there is no other racing category for just two manufacturers. Racing is all about testing and improving vehicles, so the more competition - the better.

With indication that Ford may soon stop making the Falcon after 2016, it's obvious that other manufacturers need to get involved sooner rather than later. A one make series will not survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
V8 what? Supercars? WTF is that. Got so bored by it how many years ago now it's simply "who cares" to most people these days. I don't understand why Channel 7910??? even broadcast it - don't they realise no-one is watching?
Old 27-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic
Who can remember Jim Richards calling moron Holden and Ford fans "a pack of *********" after winning Bathurst in a Nissan skyline GTR, a great moment in motor sport history.

Imagine if Nissan or Toyota were allowed to join the series and the technology they can bring to it, they would leave both Holden and Ford for dead. Just look at what happened when Nissan were allowed to compete with the GT-R, it was Godzilla first, daylight second, the Sierra Cosworth third and the Holden's were still circulating on the track after the other teams had already packed their transporters and left the circuit.

The fact is that they changed the rules so that only Ford and Holdern V8's would be the main racing in this country because of being slaughered by the GTR! (who would have thought the scars of the Nissan Skyline GTR woulr run so deep to this day lol) If this didn't happen, who knows what advancement both Ford and Holden would have made over the years just to stay competitive? Maybe we would be all driving around in way more advanced holden and fords on the street as a result?
If jappa fan girls arent bragging about grandmas Civic hp/l they pull this crap out of the myth book.
First of all the GTR only had one good year, 1991. The others it competed in, the Sierra cleaned it up in the standings.
The demise of Group A had nothing to do with the GTRs perceived dominance, the timing was purely a coincidence, it was scrapped because of costs and a decline in participation with each region going to their own formula and set of rules in favour of parity, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Majestic

if the v8's were competative - they wouldn't have needed to change anything - that's fact no matter which way you want to look at it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
If jappa fan girls arent bragging about grandmas Civic hp/l they pull this crap out of the myth book.
First of all the GTR only had one good year, 1991. The others it competed in, the Sierra cleaned it up in the standings.
The demise of Group A had nothing to do with the GTRs perceived dominance, the timing was purely a coincidence, it was scrapped because of costs and a decline in participation with each region going to their own formula and set of rules in favour of parity, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
Old 27-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if the v8's were competative - they wouldn't have needed to change anything - that's fact no matter which way you want to look at it lol
No it's not fact, because Group A was scrapped world wide, there were no V8 v GTR battles in Japan or Europe. Believe it or not there were more makes competing than Ford, Holden and Nissan too.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #37
Majestic

ok you're right mate - you win lol Still a two horse race has become rather boring IMO
Old 27-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #38
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Imagine if Nissan or Toyota were allowed to join the series and the technology they can bring to it, they would leave both Holden and Ford for dead. Just look at what happened when Nissan were allowed to compete with the GT-R, it was Godzilla first, daylight second, the Sierra Cosworth third and the Holden's were still circulating on the track after the other teams had already packed their transporters and left the circuit.
Do you realise that V8 Supercars are purpose built race cars designed to be the same and have no technical advantage over each other? That's why both manufactures use 5 litre V8s both with the same transmissions and live axle set ups when we know that is not the case with a Falcodore you can buy.

This series they have today is not the same series back in the early 90s. Back then it was a very diverse field, now it's just a formula-style category
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I wonder if V8Stupercars are starting to realise there may a time limit on there class unless they actually make it interesting.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #40
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

yeah good to see another manufacturer come in, if it is chrysler, would that mean some of the money will be coming from the US tax payers to fund this?
Good on them if this is the case, more money to boost our economy!
4stanger is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #41
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

While this is a good idea, it wouldn't be such a bad idea for V8 supercars to bring back the days where the race was one by the car and driver not just the latter
babyf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #42
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who can remember Jim Richards calling moron Holden and Ford fans "a pack of *********" after winning Bathurst in a Nissan skyline GTR, a great moment in motor sport history.

The fact is that they changed the rules so that only Ford and Holdern V8's would be the main racing in this country because of being slaughered by the GTR! (who would have thought the scars of the Nissan Skyline GTR woulr run so deep to this day lol) If this didn't happen, who knows what advancement both Ford and Holden would have made over the years just to stay competitive? Maybe we would be all driving around in way more advanced holden and fords on the street as a result?
Re Jim Richards and the fans, the reason the fans were so hostile was that the Skyline was into the wall with 3 wheels while the #17 Sierra had pitted for wets and was still running. The race was red flagged and results were awarded as of the previous lap, a rule the fans weren't aware of. They thought DJ had been dudded hence the booing etc.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #43
1TUFFUTE
Banned

seriously guys...alot off people watch the v8s these days itsbigger then ever....just ecause a few stay loyal to the roots and move on doesnt make the racing crap...i find it awesome to watch...BUT i LOVE to watch muscle car masters and would prefer to see street driven cars with a few mods ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Its not the lack of fans that the muscle car masters isnt big enough...its companys like 888 and their money that need to back the series to get it off the ground and up and running. I mean its hardly even telivised...so hows it sposed to grow to awesomeness if we and the prospective fans cant even view it
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #44
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo
yeah good to see another manufacturer come in, if it is chrysler, would that mean some of the money will be coming from the US tax payers to fund this?
Good on them if this is the case, more money to boost our economy!
Hey, I'm all for racing, but let Fiat provide the racing budget.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #45
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford lover
It would be good for other makes to join in,including Holden and Ford!Those cars have nothing to do with the two makes,except for the sheet metal.Bring back the old days!Dont both supercars run 9 inch diffs?Somewhere they lost the plot.

How have they lost the plot? They are powered buy v8's and look like there road car contempories...

Your suggestions is to do the same but make them slower?

Oh wait, its being done already "Australian Production Car Championship" and the last aussie car to win it was a BF XR6T, in 2006...since then it's been evo's and BMW's...

But yeah, good idea.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #46
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
First of all the GTR only had one good year, 1991. The others it competed in, the Sierra cleaned it up in the standings
the gtr first appeared at bathurst 90 from memory. after qualifying outside? the top ten, it was very dominant until it had diff? problems
it virtually wiped the board clean in 91 and 92 - won both the championship and bathurst in both years. jim won the title in 91 in the nissan colours. skaife won the title in 92 with the winfield gtr. as much as i think the sierra was the best road come racing car ever built, the gtr could not really have been any more dominant

as far as other brands joining the v8 supercars circus, i do not want it to happen. for years ford have been given the wrong end of the stick from the officials - how many times have we been even competitive at bathurst since 93

after being bent over for years while holden get everything, i have no desire to see the new boys get more from the officials than ford. and let's face it, if a new manufacturer joins, they will be given every chance to succeed. ford will be a distant 3rd, 4th or worse, if other manufacturers join
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #47
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I dont understand why people whinge about them not being like the street cars. Thats because they are race cars and its Australias top race category. Its the same with NASCAR, F1, WRC, Drag racing etc. The cars in those are nothing like you can buy either.

People say the old days were better but the races were boring with one car sometimes half a lap infront of 2nd place.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #48
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

NASCAR is ridiculous now. It doesn't relate to anything on the street. It's not like NASCAR technology trickles down to street cars—street cars have far surpassed NASCAR technology.
Old 28-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
ok you're right mate - you win lol Still a two horse race has become rather boring IMO
Not even, its like having 25 Black Caviar's on the field and the only difference being the jockey.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #50
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
I dont understand why people whinge about them not being like the street cars. Thats because they are race cars and its Australias top race category. Its the same with NASCAR, F1, WRC, Drag racing etc. The cars in those are nothing like you can buy either.

People say the old days were better but the races were boring with one car sometimes half a lap infront of 2nd place.
I agree. I can't remember the "old days" as such, but I can't imagine every race was a ball tearing spectacular like some make it out to be.

What was it? Bathurst 79 when Brock won by 6 laps? Now compare that to the 3 way battle in 2007 or the epic Tander vs Lowndes finish last year.

I mean the current formula gets a bit stale at times, but I would put it down to contrived officiating more than the cars themselves. The cars are so close these days you can almost separate them by a paper's width. Yes 888 dominating also gets boring, but that's the way they engineer their cars. If they were driving production Commodores they would still have the best cars in the field.

If for whatever reason the series reverted back to production racing it would be fine for a while until one make starts dominating and the inevitable shitfight for parity begins. To me it seems as if people have selective memories and only remember the good bits, but not the bad.

Honestly at first I was a bit hesitant about COTF, but the more I think of it I don't think it'll be so bad. If people want production car racing there are plenty of categories to suit their needs. For me atleast if I want to watch production cars race eachother I'll watch said category or go to a track day.

TCM is my favourite category outside of the V8s, but I must admit its attraction is mainly the cars. The racing itself IMO isn't that much better than the V8s. Usually it's a case of follow the leader when Bowe or Richards get out in front and these cars are a lot faster, powerful, brake better etc than their original counterparts, so I really don't see what makes the racing better from over 30/40 years ago.

Last edited by Ryan; 28-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #51
Majestic

I wonder how many holden fans followed craig lowndes (jockey) to ford when he crossed over? and ford fans when he returned to a holden? sure we all appreciate a really good driver but in reality - people like the cars (horse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Not even, its like having 25 Black Caviar's on the field and the only difference being the jockey.
Old 28-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #52
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
V8 what? Supercars? WTF is that. Got so bored by it how many years ago now it's simply "who cares" to most people these days. I don't understand why Channel 7910??? even broadcast it - don't they realise no-one is watching?
Thats were your wrong Jeff, all the bogens do, they spend thousands of dollars on their team caps shirts flags etc etc, only to have them swap cars next year, & the same goes for the drivers! Its just a show, its in no way a sport, & you can here them say that every telecast. Its a huge business now & its all about money, which there seems to be no lack of, with the bogens supporting it as they do.

I have a friend that is pretty high up in the V8 circus, & he even admits they stage most of the race finishes towards the end of the year. I can go on but I wont, only to say if another player comes in where are they going to fit them? they are only aloud 32 cars per grid, & the grids are full now!

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
What he said.... It all became a procession when they introduced the 'safety car'.

Safety car comes out and all cars lose what buffer they had over the cars behind them.
Old 28-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #54
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler

I have a friend that is pretty high up in the V8 circus, & he even admits they stage most of the race finishes towards the end of the year.
considering you can bet on race results thats a mighty big can of worms...

i call bs, personally.whilst i dont doubt they use the safety car 'strategically' i really doubt they actually engineer results.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #55
homegrown
hotshot

I dont really have too much interest in the V8 Supercars lately. I still like to hear that the Blue ovaled stickered car has beaten the Giant Frisbee stickered car.
If I had a governing voice in the V8 supercar world it would be Race what the manufacturer produces, Build a Production line Supercar with the exeption of installing a roll cage, tyres, ditching the exhaust. And if Holden of Fords lose, Build a Faster Car!!
Add a plaque on the dash like the Thunderbolt. CAUTION "This car is designed to scare the @#$% out of You!"
Old 28-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #56
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
If I had a governing voice in the V8 supercar world it would be Race what the manufacturer produces, Build a Production line Supercar with the exeption of installing a roll cage, tyres, ditching the exhaust. And if Holden of Fords lose, Build a Faster Car!!

Again, From my earlier post.

"Australian Production Car Championship" and the last aussie car to win it was a BF XR6T, in 2006.

Are people to stupid to realse that production car racing exsist in australia?

The V8's are our peak level racing championship, like DTM and SuperGT...

Leave the V8's as is, if you don't like it, turn over to SBS.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #57
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
maybe makybe diva's - even holden's can usually go further than 2000 metres
Old 28-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #58
Majestic

what happens if ford stops making the falcon after 2016? will we see commodores racing the ford taurus?
Old 28-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #59
gtxb67

if ford stop making falcon's, then i doubt holden will be allowed to make commode dores
Old 28-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #60
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear ya Jeff.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post