Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #31
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Re: Has AU Falcon scared off Ford from ever doing another BOLD Falcon

If Ford did thorough market research/testing with 100s of Ford buyers then they could be as bold as they want - as long as the research groups like the car.

I think the Ford Fusion looks great. As do the latest Astons.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #32
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Great range of opinions which is great, This thread was just something that popped into my mind the other day while following the FG and VE. I thought to myself " I wonder if the AU Falcon had any effect on the styling of the Falcons after it ie BA FG" or if it is not talked about mentioned in design meetings. I do like the FG especially the G6ET and F6. This was more of a question of what would FG have been if the AU had not been built and say the BA had come out in 1998. Would Ford have been more bold with FG styling. If you look at VZ to VE Commodore, Holden made large changes to styling for the better. Thanks for all your replies by the way, Shane
Old 25-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #33
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
lol @ BF and FG looking alike...nothing in common...

But yes, the AU was as bold, unique and interesting as australian design will get. The BA looked like a camry...
Truer words were never spoken.

I hope Ford Australia's designers have the opppurtunity to style a Falcon that's as bold as AU, but executed in just the right way to be as accepted as say E or B Series.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #34
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my opinion the Commodore is too reto with the flared guards of the 70's. The design was not ground breaking but more a modern slant on an old design/style. Whether you like the AU or not Ford had to find a new starting point and so the BA was a little on the conservative side. I think Ford are looking to bring more class to its range.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #35
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
The lead designer for AU and FG was the same person.
That comes as no surprise
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did most of BA too didn't he, Butterworth came in towards the end...?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
never more truth applied to Dodge over the last few models, having to wear the corporate cross grille mouth; ugly. what works on a large pickup isn't necessarily going to look good on your muscle car.
Look at the current corporate Kinetic face from Fiesta through to FGII to SZ Territory, they're all different even though similar elemets are there in all of them.
That's why the corporate face isn't the face people are thinking of, just the latest one they've seen..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #38
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
There's a lot of wiggle room in what the locals are allowed to do
So the front end similarities between Terri, XR, and Fusion are coincidence? Or G6 and Mondeo before that? I think not.

I have no issue with Ford trying to reign in styling differences... its been used to great effect by VW, with a single and easily recognisable look across the entire model range. Clearly, its not harming sales.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #39
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
I hope Ford Australia's designers have the opppurtunity to style a Falcon that's as bold as AU
There's a fine line between bold and ridiculous. Sadly, AU crossed it, which is a shame considered how good it was under the skin.

Its styling was the only reason I waited til BA to get out of my EF.
Old 25-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #40
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
There's a fine line between bold and ridiculous. Sadly, AU crossed it, which is a shame considered how good it was under the skin.
The original AU1 did, yes i completely agree, but i think the AU2/3 look great.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

To answer the question, Id say it has contributed to the possibility. However, I feel its more to do with the current climate of the car market. To be bold in design of a large car would be an incredible risk, one Ford cannot really afford to take. From a logical business perspective anyway.

Conversely though, they may just pull of the biggest success yet to hit them. But lets be fair & say those odds are pretty darn unlikely.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Explain why the AU was ridiculous...

The major letdowns with the AU were some cheap looking plastics (bumpers, side moulds) and 4WD ride hight coupled with dilated wheel arches, it they (FoA) spent a bit more time refining the shape, it would have been a winner.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
. However, I feel its more to do with the current climate of the car market. To be bold in design of a large car would be an incredible risk.
I beg to differ, most of the new models today have very bold styling features...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
So the front end similarities between Terri, XR, and Fusion are coincidence? Or G6 and Mondeo before that? I think not.
Of course they are similar, Ford has coroprate "Kinetic" Styling and now moving to Kinetic II"
Since none of the examples you have given are identical, then yes there is wiggle room in local styling

The AU variant I really like was the Fairlane, I think Ford lost something magical when they redesigned it for BA.
Old 25-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #45
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
I beg to differ, most of the new models today have very bold styling features...
I refer to the large car segment specifically. Even more specifically, a manufacturer who cannot make such a financial gamble. Which, is basically what my first post was...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #46
leonbray
Cougar Owner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfO0wqhY4Q

New Falcon will probably look a lot like the Modeo. The Territory has the outgoing design theme

AUIII XLS with Tickford bits, 1968 XR7 (302W 4v roller cam), 1969 Convertible (302W),
leonbray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #47
RayRay84
Starter Motor

I think the AU was a great looking car for it's time, I remember when my old man picked up his new AUI forte back in '99, and thinking how modern it looked, especially compared to our EB that it replaced, though admittedly it did have the ute grille fitted and some decent alloys...

I bought an AUII a few years later and loved it - obviously all the nay-sayers when ragged on the car never drove it, because they were a great car to drive.

The design has aged pretty well, though I will admit that the low series interiors look a bit crap these days, But the actual overall design (Especially the XR's) still looks just as good as they did back in '98.

Only thing I never liked was the double-decker spoiler on the S1 XR's.. WTF??
Old 25-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Explain why the AU was ridiculous...
It looked like a pregnant seal, sunbaking.
Old 25-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #49
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i wasnt really a fan of the AU1 XR's either.

My Interior has held up exceptionally well to alot of punishment over the years, quality is great and i have got used to its unusual ergonomics.
Old 25-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Hmm, dont see it...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #51
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmm, dont see it...
Neither i think it looks great.

Quote:
It looked like a pregnant seal, sunbaking.
Its not like the EF looked any better...
Old 25-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #52
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
I hope so.
Good i hope they do, then you wont buy one then you may find another forum to annoy.

Can we go a few weeks without an AU bashing thread seriously? Because i can see where this will go.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #53
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I think that cars like the 2002 BA XR6 Turbo and the All new Territory back in 2004 proved that people will buy the Ford product if it ticks all the boxes for what they want as a family car. There was alot of Holden and Subaru buyers that brought both the above cars instead of WRX's and Holden's useless Adventra 4x4 wagon. When Ford release the 4cyc ecoboost they will have the biggest range of engines ever offered in AUS. They just need a bit more WOW factor now to get them across the line. I would have liked to have seen them do another model to take the place of the Fairlane but using the Falcon body say like a very upmarket G6E with revised front and rear styling and a more upmarket interior to maybe grab a few more Caprice/Calais V buyers and bring back sunroofs and black roof linings.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #54
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Good i hope they do, then you wont buy one then you may find another forum to annoy.

Can we go a few weeks without an AU bashing thread seriously? Because i can see where this will go.
Agreed, please dont ruin this thread as it was not intended as an AU bashing. I own an AU and think they have a better seating position than the BA so both cars had some great features. This is purely a styling question on how AU styling effected all Falcons styling after it. If you dont have something good to add than just read it and move on.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #55
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #56
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

I am going to differ a little and say that the AU Forte series 1 was actually the only odd one out and was the extremely boring, mundane and was the main problem. It wasn't bold. The shape was in the right direction, the XR and definitely Fairmont had it right from the start. Boring killed the AU from the offset ..... not being brave. It then tarnished the entire range .....

The XR was in your face and a brave move that pulled it off very well ..... later the T series which during series 2 started doing well. In comparison to all the models the AU Forte 1 was the ugly duckling, boring in comparison and killed off the momentum from the VERY successful EF Falcon.

Then came the B series XT ..... ..... then the FG ...... While the XR's and other models did well selling to the public sector and as company vehicles when there was a choice to be made, while (very unlike all other Falcon standard models before it) the base unit died.

If anything the AU Forte series 1 killed the 'Falcon 500'. Base models to the general public has not recovered and the base model ...... which SHOULD be their commodity ..... is relegated to those who are unfortunate enough to get them as their company car.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #57
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was nothing wrong with the AU2/3 Forte's i guess the public just didnt like them at the time, a very underrated and under appreciated car.
Old 25-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #58
Cano90
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
That is hilarious
Old 25-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #59
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Just imagine if FoA had the cash to do a Fusion nose and tail on FG II, that would have knocked the socks off the press..

How hot does that look!!!!!! I hope the next gen Falcon follows those lines......

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
How hot does that look!!!!!! I hope the next gen Falcon follows those lines......
It's a polarising style, there's no middle ground because people will either love it or hate it and
that's what Ford US is counting on, more buyers loving that style than what the competition has.
Is our market and buyers different? Would that work here? or is it just a passing fad?

These are the questions FoA has to pose in order to stay in front of the curve, sure their
designs aren't as up to date but so long as they aren't plain, Falcon and Territory will do OK.