Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #31
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: CO2 emissions . what's yours ?. do you care ?

buy a bicycle.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #32
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

the recent volcano eruptions in Chile that shut down world air travel for days put more carbon in the air than humans have since the industrial revolution.

This carbon tax is BS, they cant even quantify it. The biggest winner and the biggest pusher behind it is Macquarie bank they will be buying and selling carbon licences like there is no tomorrow and taking a 20% cut, Giallard will retire and join bob carr and Morris Yemma on the board no doubt after she gets the boot.

The most important thing in the world is stability and although im not saying pollution is a good thing and it should be reduced as much as possible especially in the 3rd world, far too much emphasis is placed on it.

No matter what the world will go on. weather cycles are happening all around us long term and short term the sky really is not falling.
Right now the la nina effect is in place which last for 2-7 years and happens every 30-35 years for us in oz it means lots of rain and tropical storms up north every summer, look out Darwin you are overdue for another cyclone there has been one there every 30-35 years since records were kept.

Biggest threat in the world right now would be a global war, with religious nutbags and emerging superpowers looking to flex muscle its a dangerous place right now thats really where the pollys need to put their effort in.

On a side note it really annoys me that whenever they are talking about pollution on the tele they always show a pic of a nuclear power or gas electricity plant spewing out steam, but the news reader gives the impression tot he viewer that its carbon.

ITS JUST WATER PPL!!

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #33
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I couldnt really care less about my CO2 emissions. Its a somewhat meaningless number if you dont know how much CO2 was emitted in the manufacture of the car itself.

Prius owners are kidding themselves if they think they're doing the world a favour....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #34
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
the recent volcano eruptions in Chile that shut down world air travel for days put more carbon in the air than humans have since the industrial revolution.

This carbon tax is BS, they cant even quantify it. The biggest winner and the biggest pusher behind it is Macquarie bank they will be buying and selling carbon licences like there is no tomorrow and taking a 20% cut, Giallard will retire and join bob carr and Morris Yemma on the board no doubt after she gets the boot.

The most important thing in the world is stability and although im not saying pollution is a good thing and it should be reduced as much as possible especially in the 3rd world, far too much emphasis is placed on it.

No matter what the world will go on. weather cycles are happening all around us long term and short term the sky really is not falling.
Right now the la nina effect is in place which last for 2-7 years and happens every 30-35 years for us in oz it means lots of rain and tropical storms up north every summer, look out Darwin you are overdue for another cyclone there has been one there every 30-35 years since records were kept.

Biggest threat in the world right now would be a global war, with religious nutbags and emerging superpowers looking to flex muscle its a dangerous place right now thats really where the pollys need to put their effort in.

On a side note it really annoys me that whenever they are talking about pollution on the tele they always show a pic of a nuclear power or gas electricity plant spewing out steam, but the news reader gives the impression tot he viewer that its carbon.

ITS JUST WATER PPL!!
La Nina is a normal part of the weather cycle. Australia has had floods going to way back into the depths of time, only recorded history only goes back around 200 years or less, which in climate terms is like last Tuesday.

The picture you paint of global conflict, religious nutbags, and megolamaniac superpowers is more accurate than you think and just around the corner.

The Earth has emphysema due to the deforestation. To illustrate a couple of cigarettes smoked by a healthy young person probably won't harm them (assuming they don't become addicted). But if someone has 98% of there lungs gone, one cigarette could end them. So all this carbon tax nonsense basically allows polluters and deforesters to keep on going doing what they always did, but ask the consumer to pay the tax. No one is planting forests again, because honestly no one knows how.

Keep driving your cars and burning your wood fires. The governments haven't got the solutions. Just plant trees.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The throw away society.
We're constantly encouraged to recycle yet when it comes to cars, the rules some how change,
how can it be greener to constantly throw away so many older cars and manufacture new ones?

Re powering older cars with efficient diesel or switching to LPG has to be a better option...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #36
tweeked
N/A all the way

I think my GT comes in about level with your average third world country.

No I dont care.

And i think the guy in the Honda Hybrid who had to wind down his window this morning to listen as I drove beside him didn't car either, for just a little while at least.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
As i said I DON'T CARE.
I wish i could shrug of 10g fines...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #38
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Isn't Co2 what plants thrive on?

So by eliminating Co2 we are killing trees!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #39
RAPID_BA
Banned

My cammed and tuned xr8 with high flow cats produces less emissions than most hybrid camrys over the course of a year. How is this possible?

I hardly ever drive it!!! Does maybe 2000km a year. Noone can say this hulk isnt green (excuse the pun)
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #40
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ran 16lt of e85 in a full tank...ran very well...temps down a little too
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use probably 8litres of fuel a day.
My work probably uses over 50,000 litres of diesel a day. My V8s CO2 output is a drop in the ocean compared to my work. And my work is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the world.

ICE in cars is the only way to go at the moment. If something better comes along that's good, but it's not here yet. So why stress.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #42
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

You know if someone went to the effort of adding modern technology and computer controlled combustion to the steam engine, it could be a very efficient little power plant that could burn pretty much anything that is flammable. The old steam engines of old were so wasteful of energy as their boilers lost most of their heat to the surrounding atmosphere, but if you sealed that heat in and used modern thermodynamic principals it could be an interesting type of engine to revisit again.

I doubt we'll see a steam powered Falcon though. It's hard enough trying to get people to accept a turbocharged 4cyl, so I think a steam engine may be pushing it.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought now we had a carbon dioxide tax that was going to take care of the CO2 from my cars

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #44
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah logging old growth forests is not a good idea, nor is any pollution for that matter really, but i dont think man really is having a massive effect on the amosthere just as yet.

However I think our efforts here is Oz should be to find a game changer IE prefect solar, wind tech or other cleaner and easier forms of power generation, they already exist but the oil company's hold the patents why cant we instead of screwing our economy give $100M or more to the CSIRO and get them to work.

Im just sick of the joke of policy we have around the environment right now for instance now that Macquarie own every tip in NSW they charge a environmental disposal fee of $30 or something for every tyre dumped, Now in oz we dont burn our rubbish like other countries and we have plenty of holes to fill up to put non toxic waste in like plastics rubbers, general waste etc but we pay for the tyre to be disposed of in a green way so rather than going to landfill or being recycled its shipped to china and burned, is not putting it in a hole in the ground more green than all the fuel involved in shipping it and the pollution from burning it?

Full rubbish dumps can than even become power stations as the rotting rubbish produces huge amounts of methane which is usually just burned off on site but why could it not be utilised for power, even under clover moores nose the old brick pit dump now Sydney park just has a chimney constantly burning the methane off.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......

Last edited by bigsta; 19-12-2011 at 10:20 AM.
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't know why they pick on cars when jets use 20x the amount of fuel per person and they dump it in the upper atmosphere where it does more damage