Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #31
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Kuga Compact SUV to be Released in Australia in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Rav4 has no diesel and it still sells well, even being 6 years old.
Neither does Outlander, or CRV.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #32
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

So, in a surprise move Ford have decided to bring this in earlier than expected. That is great. No, actually it's not so great, because there's no diesel. You can keep it, Ford, we'll wait for the next model which has diesel.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #33
Rodge
Banned

Diesel's don't work for everyone Falc'man, trust me I know all about diesel particulate filter problems and the effects on diesel engines from repeated short city journey's.

What is odd however is doesn't it seem a bit bizarre that we have an all new Focus but we're just getting the Kuga which is based on the previous generation Focus. That just feels weird. I'm fundamentally opposed to accepting hand-me-down limited option models years after they were first released based on alledged excess demand in home markets. For goodness sake what are we, second or third rate consumers ? They call it a titianium model but if you look at the technology in the latest Focus Titanium a more accurate description of the so called new Kuga would be almost the base spec of the current Focus. Its not good enough.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Rodge mate enough with the jihad on the filters, man you got burnt. Although I 100% agree on the hand-me-down comment. EU need to get rid of some cars so they come here..what did they commit a crime or something?

http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/2011/suv_under.htm

Objectively tell me why someone would buy a Kuga?

I like the car, the engine just doesnt make sense, all the bodykits in the world wont make it sporty.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #35
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Rodge mate enough with the jihad on the filters, man you got burnt. Although I 100% agree on the hand-me-down comment. EU need to get rid of some cars so they come here..what did they commit a crime or something?

The same question can be asked about any car that is not the best in it's category. I look at the current Escape they have on offer and think what a pos who'd buy that, but guess what, it's a choice Ford have and offer - better than nothing, and I'm guessing this Kuga is better than Escape, and when the next-gen Kuga lobs around it would be close to best in class. The aim by Ford is they will offer best-in-class vehicles for all classes, and the trend shows they're heading that way. This Kuga isn't best in class, but it's a step in the right direction.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #36
Rodge
Banned

Lexus RX350's have been a very popular soccer mum's SUV for the well off for many years, maybe with the tighter economic times the Kuga will capture a small portion of that market ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #37
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few mods and it will be a pretty decent sleeper, apart from the Forester XT, power wise there really isnt a competitor to it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
stang65
FPRJET

Is it just me , it looks o.k.... But I reckon the New Terry looks much better. I know it will be zipier than the Terry.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #39
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I guess what I was getting at is if you had a choice between the I5T and a TDi for this type of car I would think the TDI would get the nod 99.9% of the time.

Its nice to know they think of Oz when they need to get rid of the scraps. Perhaps there will be enough uneducated buyers who will jump because its new, but I would think most would just sit back and wait. Which means they wont sell flash to begin with and get rubbish press straight off the bat.

Or I am just thinking about it to much, but for me I would just wait until the full range is available. Did they not mention 2013 just last week? Do it once and do it right IMO.
Think of those old retired farts with some dosh who are the more apathetic about cars and driving. See them as a tool, or accessory. They want a bit of luxury, and a taller car that doesn't upset the joints of him an the misses as they get in an out. And room for the gold clubs of course. A Nissan Xtrail would be fine(a perfect old persons car). But they want something a bit more classy to park under the carport at that competitive retirement village. The Titanium offering all the luxuries and envy that Bert and Meryl who take names at Bridge Night couldn't afford.

"We bought the Titanium.... that's the top end model", is one of the bragging rights... as well as all that "4WD grip", and punchy "5cyl turbo overtaking power" that they never use.

Not sure who else would buy it. The suburban trophy wife with two kids and a hobby?

But still... it will add more pretty to the ford catalogues and local papers... and hopefully be a reason to not print pictures of the Escape.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #40
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

I like the car, the engine just doesnt make sense, all the bodykits in the world wont make it sporty.
Don't want to derail the thread... but worth noting, the Falcon EcoLPi took best large car under 60k
http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au...arge_under.htm
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #41
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Will this take Territory sales, or will it draw sales away from other manufacturers?
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Will this take Territory sales, or will it draw sales away from other manufacturers?
Considering 80% of Territory sales are diesel, and Kuga doesn't offer it, I wouldn't think so, as the fuel comnsumption is pretty heavy.

Petrol Territory heavy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #43
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Does 2012 Kuga = No new model Escape in 2013?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #44
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Does 2012 Kuga = No new model Escape in 2013?
Yerp.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #45
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yerp.

Good to know, cheers.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #46
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

However the 2013 Escape will become our 2013 Kugu. Ford are introducing the older model to help establish the Kuga "name" in the Australian market whilst the production demands for the newer model in other markets levels out. Ford stated in an interview that they wouldnt normally follow this stratagy, but I think with the current Escape now no longer able to be sold "new" (no ESC) it was either have no entrant in this segment for 12+ months or introduce the old model (with limited drivetrains) to set down some roots and establish the name before a full on assult with the 2013 model with ecoboost petrol and tdci diesel drivetrains.
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #47
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think it'll be great as there are lots of "soccer mums" and "yummy mummys" and "retired folk" that want something different and lets be honest the turbo 5 is no slouch and should be even better with the added 4wd grip, yeah there's no diesel but how many out there are big sellers with no diesel u have the Rav4, outlander, CRV or the Xtrail. and i don't now bout u guys but those models make imo a large portion of the sales in this market. so i say great bring it on we deserve a better car than the escape, and cos there old shape they'll surely be cheaper.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

X trail has diesel.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #49
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ohhh thanks for correcting
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #50
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
However the 2013 Escape will become our 2013 Kugu. Ford are introducing the older model to help establish the Kuga "name" in the Australian market whilst the production demands for the newer model in other markets levels out. Ford stated in an interview that they wouldnt normally follow this stratagy, but I think with the current Escape now no longer able to be sold "new" (no ESC) it was either have no entrant in this segment for 12+ months or introduce the old model (with limited drivetrains) to set down some roots and establish the name before a full on assult with the 2013 model with ecoboost petrol and tdci diesel drivetrains.
I would have thought that the Kuga would become Ford's premium compact SUV for market, and escape would take up the price range under it, and offer a more adventurous, utilitarian, rugged SUV.

Like X-trail and Murano.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #51
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
I would have thought that the Kuga would become Ford's premium compact SUV for market, and escape would take up the price range under it, and offer a more adventurous, utilitarian, rugged SUV.

Like X-trail and Murano.
Nice plan, but in 12 months the Kuga & Escape will be the same thing!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #52
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED

Like X-trail and Murano.
The market is demonstrating that people don't want utilitarian SUV's. The thing that keeps the Escape sales dribbling along is purely its price. Even the X-Trail example you mentioned leaves the Escape for dead in every way (except price) and still outsells the Escape comfortably. And yeah, once the global Kuga is released, the CD2 platform will be extinguished totally now that the Mazda Tribute is no longer being made.

I think the Ecosport, Kuga and Territory will give Ford a great SUV lineup without filling dealer lots with overlapping, pointless products.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #53
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
The market is demonstrating that people don't want utilitarian SUV's. The thing that keeps the Escape sales dribbling along is purely its price. Even the X-Trail example you mentioned leaves the Escape for dead in every way (except price) and still outsells the Escape comfortably. And yeah, once the global Kuga is released, the CD2 platform will be extinguished totally now that the Mazda Tribute is no longer being made.

I think the Ecosport, Kuga and Territory will give Ford a great SUV lineup without filling dealer lots with overlapping, pointless products.
Yes but my example of X-trail is because it is itself... utilitarian. It's a basic do this do that little car. I thought this is something Ford was going for these days. Best in all segments. And the name escape evokes the idea of adventuring somewhere, and towing the van.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #54
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Add in Global T6 SUV (Mountaineer/Everest) and that is a full volume lineup.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #55
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Didn't think the 5 speed in this was a dual clutch, what transmission is it, as this will be the first I know of behind a Ford 5 pot!

I am sorry, but not good enough Ford, is the Titanium based off the Euro Titanium or the Titanium X!!!

Plus what options will we be able to get, can we get the reversing camera/GPS stereo....
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Old and New Escapes side by side

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There's definately a whole decade between them.
Old 18-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #58
BDA074

Isn't that the new Escape? Not out in the US yet?
Looks good in Black. Wish they's kept the Escape name in Aus...
Old 18-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #59
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The more models FoA can through out to us the better...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA074
Isn't that the new Escape? Not out in the US yet?
Looks good in Black. Wish they's kept the Escape name in Aus...
Yes it is, they're still making them at the prototype plant, Main line doesn't kick in for another few months..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post