Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Re: Commodore to be built overseas after 2014

I think the only way the Falcon and Commodore could continue is to be locally designed and built overseas for global consumption.

Realistically though, I think by the end of the decade we'll have Mondeo/Mustang bs Malibu/Camaro.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #32
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Double post
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #33
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Blame Joolya. And to more extent Green Bob.

It IS becoming too expensive to manufacture here, what with all the lazy SOBs on production lines wanting more for less...
Can you elaborate please?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Wish someone in the government would give me money to keep working here.
Why do you have to be a massive overseas company making millions again in the USA to require a handout here.
Sick of sponsoring these guys to stay when the same cars are cheaper to buy in the US than here.

Well, if you're happy to live with 500million to 1billion people in Australia than I'm sure we can accomodate the same economy of scale.

I think Australia could afford to drop all support for local production IF all imported goods were subjected to the same laws requiring workers be paid the same award wages as Australian based companies are required to pay Australian workers according to Australian law. Pfft, I'd just go build overseas and sidestep all that if I were a multinational.

Or maybe Australia should put the same fees on imported cars, whether they be a tariff or not, as other countries do. China charges 25% on all imported cars as of 2006. Australia has a 5% tariff. Thailand has a 200% tariff if you don't have an FTA with them - and conspicuously added a capacity tax just as Australia signed an FTA so Australian cars couldn't be sold there. Japan has an 83% tariff on imported cars without an FTA. Brazil have just RAISED their import tariff on cars by 30%.

Have you ever noticed how China forces foreign car makers to establish a partnership in China, and reveal ALL their technology secrets, before any foreign cars are allowed to be sold in China? And yet all their cars come into Australia, sidestep all Award Wage laws, are subject to bugger all tariff, and have pretty much no non-tariff based restrictions?

Copying some of the barriers to trade that the greatest economies in the world use would seem like an EXCELLENT policy for the Australian government to adopt don't you think? No more need for cash handouts then...

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 03-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #35
gazza6
Starter Motor

An update from the Australian newspaper:

HOLDEN has condemned union claims that future generations of the iconic Commodore will be designed overseas as "completely untrue".
Managing director Mike Devereux today vowed the popular model would be “100 per cent designed, engineered, manufactured in Australia for many, many, many, many more years”.

“I'm quite confused as to the tactics being taken to frankly slander what is a proud Australian brand,” he said on ABC radio.

However, in a statement, Holden said it had not made a final decision about the future of the Commodore.

The Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers (APESMA), which represents Holden engineers, believes Holden will make a decision in the next month about sending Commodore design work overseas.

APESMA chief executive Chris Walton this morning said Holden had privately confirmed it was “highly likely” the model after the 2014 Commodore would not originate locally.

...“Our members will start losing their jobs from the first quarter of next year if this decision is made to use an overseas designed car in the future,” he said. “What was the old jingo... football, meat pies kangaroos and Holden cars.

“What are we going to have - baseball, sushi, pandas and Holden cars?”

Holden currently has factories at Port Melbourne and Elizabeth in Adelaide's northern suburbs. The engineers said they feared Holden's move could cost up to 300 jobs in Port Melbourne.

Mr Devereux said he was “puzzled” why the union would speak publicly with false and “inappropriate” claims.

“I'm very confused as to why one of our close partners during the normal negotiation process would choose to talk to shows like yours...about things that are completely untrue,” he said on radio.

“The things that we're talking to the union about are things that are near the end of this decade, many years from now and frankly they're confidential conversations that we're supposed to have in the course of bargaining with our union.”

In its statement, Holden said: “The issues being raised in the media today relate to decisions for new products which Australians won't see until closer to the end of the decade, and we have not finalised these decisions yet.”

The Holden statement said it did not comment on enterprise bargaining agreement negotiations in the media or speculate about the long-term future models.

Mr Devereux would not say how many years Commodore would be made in Australia, as companies in highly capital intensive industries did not “tip your hand” to competitors.

“We don't talk about our future plans,” he said.

“What I can tell you specifically is that it is difficult today to do things in Australia, to continue to manufacture things in Australia with the economic and political climate that we've got.

“We ... fight every single day for the right to continue to do the three things that we do here, which is one of only 13 countries that does this stuff, and that's to design, engineer and build cars.

“That's what we're working hard to do.

“I would be extremely surprised to hear somebody on your show say that we have looked them in the face and say that it's highly likely that the `14 Commodore's going to be engineered and designed overseas, because that's completely untrue.”

Holden, a subsidiary of US motoring giant General Motors, has made Australian-engineered cars since 1948.

Additional reporting: AAP
gazza6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #36
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those unions are just disgusting!!! Private meetings should stay private..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love it how they show such outrage at the unions reports then come out with............. Holden said "it had not made a final decision about the future of the Commodore"

it would be a sad day if the holden packed up, or ford for that matter , but who could blame any company for wanting to seek a country where they can design and build cars without having to live off government handouts, they are probably looking at the future with the carbon tax.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #38
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
UPDATE 10.50am: HUNDREDS of workers at Holden's Melbourne operations could be out of work after the company told senior staff it would stop making the iconic Commodore.

Job losses could start early next year with up to 350 staff losing their jobs by mid-2013.

Whatever way you look at it, it's not going to be a rosy future for our automotive manufacturers here and the flow-on effects will be significant.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #39
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It IS becoming too expensive to manufacture here, what with all the lazy SOBs on production lines wanting more for less...
The same ones that have had a 3% pay rise in three years? Or the same people who lost 2/3rds of their workforce to remain competitive but still produce more than half the cars of only 4 years ago? A qualified rigger at fords is on $26 an hour, is that overpaid? What is your idea of a fair wage?

The problem with manufacturing costs in Australia is things like payroll tax, land tax, income tax and soon, carbon tax. There is a tax on bloody everything. And workcover premiums may as well be a tax too.

Also, the safety standards on equipment and processes is much higher in Australia, it costs a lot of money to provide the safety features and services that the auto manufacturers provide their employees.

You don't believe that we in Australia are different? Then check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOBqRVDOYQ
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #40
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back to bashing unions..... woohoo...... the cause of all our woes....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #41
Falcman0o7
Banned

Won't happen.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #42
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Easy target, I guess.

I have no problem with people disliking unions and I personally have never been in a job where I was a member of one.

However, if they were for real these same people should give up those things that unions have delivered or helped deliver over the past 100 yrs such as public holidays, 37.5 hr week, 4 weeks annual leave, etc.

Put your money where your mouth is and I have no problem with an opinion.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #43
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Let me clarify my earlier statement...

I have nothing against line workers who have no involvement with any Union. It's the ones who use the "safety" of the union to screw over their employers and hold their workmates at ransom because they aren't happy with what they got.

There has been so many union rallies and the like recently, even moreso now with Joolya in charge that employers are changing their thought processes and looking at alternatives in a more serious light.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #44
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
There is no truth to this story. Holden are currently working on the MY14 Commodore facelift and the work is being done locally. What is not clear is what is the decision for the VE replacement due in MY17.
watch the video posted, they said the MY14 would be the last aussie design. So you just re-iterated what they said but claimed they're lying.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
My comment was in no way union bashing. It's an observation on the amount of press release activity there is from unions at the moment. There seems like there is a real power struggle going on at the moment between unions, government, business and the fight for public perception.

All the parties are feeling each other out, and throwing up grenades of information is a classic union strategy. This seems to be one of those occasions.

I in no way voiced an opinion on unions, and won't air my political opinons about unions on a public forum.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
However, if they were for real these same people should give up those things that unions have delivered or helped deliver over the past 100 yrs such as public holidays, 37.5 hr week, 4 weeks annual leave, etc.
I propose we reintroduce the Volunteer Coastal Defence network in case the Japanese try to attack us again with their submarines.

Sure the world is different to 70 years ago, we have legislations, laws, departments to watch over us and the Japanese invaders, however they are just as relevant today....
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #47
aualright

Quote:

I have nothing against line workers who have no involvement with any Union. It's the ones who use the "safety" of the union to screw over their employers and hold their workmates at ransom because they aren't happy with what they got.

There has been so many union rallies and the like recently, even moreso now with Joolya in charge that employers are changing their thought processes and looking at alternatives in a more serious light.
My theory is that workers have had limited pay increases (if any) over the past 3 yrs due to the GFC. I work for a large corporate and we also used that as an excuse to put a halt on pay increases (non-unionised obviously).

People can put up with that as a reason for a period but I think the union members are now asking why the GFC doesn't affect management's salaries. You'll see more union pressure now due to this - and I think it would be the same no matter who was in govt.

Your hope would be that Mr Tony Abbott (note the respect) is elected and brings back Workchoices so unions, penalty rates, etc can be abolished.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have been a union member plenty of times, at times they have been very good at righting wrongs, that said i have been on the receiving end when i worked for myself, like employers there are those that do the right thing and others that don`t, unions have a place and it would be foolish to think otherwise imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #49
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the Malibu has arrived with perfect timing to be rebadged.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #50
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Japan doesn't have unions and they get their cars made in cheap labour countries...Unions have SFA to do with it..
IMO Here's our new Commodore...
http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-mid-...m=chevy_malibu
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #51
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:

Put your money where your mouth is and I have no problem with an opinion.

+1, I agree 100%. But we all know that will never happen.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #52
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Carbon tax anyone?

This might be the start of some serious downsizing.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #53
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
My theory is that workers have had limited pay increases (if any) over the past 3 yrs due to the GFC. I work for a large corporate and we also used that as an excuse to put a halt on pay increases (non-unionised obviously).

People can put up with that as a reason for a period but I think the union members are now asking why the GFC doesn't affect management's salaries. You'll see more union pressure now due to this - and I think it would be the same no matter who was in govt.
Join the Occupy movement???
Old 03-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #54
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226184903164
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #55
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Im surprised Glover hasn't had his spin on it.

"Holdens Iconic Commodore is set for world wide domination"

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #56
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Actually, everytime Ford has a new product out, there is always the usual Holden press release about anything....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #57
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hmm people who use safety as an excuse to shut things down and hold people to ransom because they arent happy with what they have got....

So what you are saying is there is a very good chance Alan Joyce is secretly a member of a union? Bludger gets 5 million and pulls a strike the next day!
Bloody unions.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #58
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Mr Devereux would not say how many years Commodore would be made in Australia, as companies in highly capital intensive industries did not “tip your hand” to competitors.

“We don't talk about our future plans,” he said.

“What I can tell you specifically is that it is difficult today to do things in Australia, to continue to manufacture things in Australia with the economic and political climate that we've got.

typical non committal answer really, we won't say for how long we will build the commodore here... i read this as for how long the commodore will exist, what's he trying to say, that gm will build them in the us & ship them over???

honestly i thought it was wierd when the series 2 came out & not even the base commodore has a commodore badge on it.. i personally see that as a sign that holden is slowly killing off the name .... just the same as ford is now doing with the current run out limited edition xr6's not one of them has a falcon badge on the boot anymore.....
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #59
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do not think for a second they are leaving the country, they are merely looking for a handout, mark my words.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #60
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
The article says design and engineering, not manufacture.

Wasn't the Commodore always basically a German-designed, locally-made Opel Omega until the last model? Why would they set up a local design group just a few years ago only to close it down?
They just interviewed the guy on the radio who designed the first Aussie Commadore. He said pretty much just that. A lot of bits needed to be modified from the Opal for our conditions.

Oh, the guy had an American accent, Leo Bruno or something. Found the accent ironic considering the current topic.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post