Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #31
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Selling a car in Vic with no RWC.

The law is there to protect us all from unscrupulous buyers and sellers. It wouldn't be the first time someone has bought a car and not transferred ownership got invloved in racking up fines, some quite serious or having an accident and when the law came to see the previous owner the names, addresses or even licences were ficticious and who do you think the law looks at when they find out the correct procedures were not followed???

Not saying it happens often but once is too many for most people. I certainly wouldn't be letting a vehicle go with plates if all the paperwork and a RWC wasn't in place even to someone i know. As for dodgy roadies most honest mechanics wouldn't even think about it today as their licence to operate is far more important than a slab or two on the side.
Either way you're the one taking the risk not them.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #32
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
This is in line with the majority so far. It's obviously widely practiced otherwise why are there so many cars advertised for sale with Rego but no RWC??
Just evidence that some people simply dont understand what the potential risks to themselves is.

Also, there are people some buyers provide themselves a rwc at the time of sale,Ive sold one that way, so there is a market there too.

It maybe they bring their mechanic friend along who gives the car the ok and the rwc there and then or sees that they will attend to the items that need attention in good time and signs the rwc , hence saving themselves the bother of having to get the vehicle home without plates and all the rest.

At the end of the day, the law is there to make sure that any car that is passed on with rego plates on it is fit to be driven on the roads, the lack of plates, is a sure sign to even the car ignorant that it shouldnt be driven.

Last edited by sudszy; 30-05-2011 at 09:56 PM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #33
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
this is because NSW has yearly RWC (after 3 years old), the RWC isn't required when selling the car, but the RTA has a 'notice of disposal' form to let them know the new owner.
its after 5 years and if you buy from a dealer it has to have a pink slip (same as our yearly rego check) ..

but our pink slip inspections are nothing like victorian RWC inspections...
they even go as far as measuring the thickness of the rotors
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #34
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
but our pink slip inspections are nothing like victorian RWC inspections...
they even go as far as measuring the thickness of the rotors
they dont measure rotor thickness in NSW or VIC? not sure which from above?

can tell you two cars that I had rwc inspections on in vic failed for rotor thickness, its hardly a "picky item".

Actually have some confidence in the system that a car I buy with a rwc will be safe for a good 20 000km+. However, if buying a car from a dealer, would get another rwc done, they have done their research and found the guy that will pass items that others wont and continue to provide him with a money tree of repeat business. Nothing is more suss than the rwc tester being more than 5km away from the dealer. I once found I had a rwc where the tester was 25km away from the dealer.........alarm bells!

You take the 2nd failed report back to the dealer and tell them to fix it all, they will bluff, saying the rwc is legit-all testers will find something wrong others dont......blah,blah, you will bluff back telling them that you will report the matter to vicroads - even let vicroads have a close look at the car, (invoking scrutiny on their dodgy guy), they hedge their bets and fix the items your second inspection doesnt like. In all the cars Ive bought, the cost of the 2nd rwc has easily been offset by the cost of the faults defects found on the 2nd inspection.

for all those that refer to other rwc items as "picky"/"insignificant" and claim they have no effect on how the car is fit for the road, post them here for discussion, items can relate to eviron, safety or both.

Last edited by sudszy; 31-05-2011 at 08:49 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #35
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guy at my work sold a XR6 turbo without RWC last year. Since then I think he's received a couple of speeding and Citylink fines while the other guy has been driving. So that's been at least six months NEITHER of them have bothered to finish the required process. They guy @ work has a partially completed changeover form that he still hasn't bothered to send to VicRoads.
Interesting that the cars rego supposedly ran out in Feb, but looks like the new owner has just paid it without the rego renewal being sent out to the current (old) owner. Wonder how long that can keep up?
Also wonder what's stopping the current (old) owner using that car as mortage security on another loan that he doesn't bother to pay and they try to repossess that car, etc. One of many other possible scenarios.
All to dodgey for me .. too much scope of litigation, etc. Personally I'd either be getting RWC, selling unregd or trade-in to a dealer. Much less worry for all involved.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #36
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

took a mates car for a pink slip today....the dude came out looked at the tyres wrote the ks down on his hand ,,,walked back inside done some paperwork and handed over the slip....didnt check nothing really didnt even ask for the key's or pop the hood...even had a brake test report attached to it...
so NSW RWC's are not worth the paper there printed on
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post