Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #31
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM
It sounds like an unfortunate "accident" due to the pedestrian not looking before darting across. Sucks to be her, but hardly grounds for a rant about how "inconsiderate" pedestrians are IMHO...
It was not an accident it was the stupidity of the pedestrian.

Ghiagirl how are your kids going still asking questions or has that slowed down now. what about you and your hubby hope you guys are going o/k as well

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #32
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

We were very very fortunate on the weekend, and this thread rings true to me at the moment.

We were at New Farm Park, and those people who know the park know the internal ring road with cars parked on both sides. We were at a family picnic and I went to get something from the car, which was about 50 - 60 metres away.

What I didn't know was that my 6 year old decided to "follow dad". So I am almost at our car, and see this Dihatsu Feroza coming along, and i thought "gee he is going a bit fast, hope he doesn't collect anyone". Then I hear a loud gasp and hear a car brake suddenly. I turn around to see my 6 year old run towards me and the Feroza stopped in the middle of the road. Not knowing what went on behind me, the guy gets out of the car and apologises profously.

Turns out the 6 year old ran out from in between parked cars on the side of the road. I ended apologising to the driver saying it wasn't his fault....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #33
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Is your car damaged??
Old 30-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #34
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
AH YES!

Ive been saying that to my friends for ages, that ad is a load of BS. The stupid woman walks across the road, doesn't look left or right, just down at her feet and yet its the drivers fault for being 5 over..AH!

Yet another example of people not taking responsibility for themselves.
Yep...responsibility for ourselves...why? It pays to be irresponsible and stupid nowadays. The courts reward it.

Buy you're dead right...everytime I see that commercial, I see that young lass with her iPod in her ears and forgetting the lesson I was taught in kindergarten. Look to the left and to the right before crossing the road.

Drivers cannot take responsibility for other people's stupidity.

In Glen Waverley a couple of days ago I saw a couple of idiotic Chinese women cross the road with oncoming traffic. The cars had to stop for them to cross in the slowest fashion possible. One car honked their horn at them, and they continued to cross slow as hell without a care in the world.

My view is that if you cross a road against the lights and don't take responsibility for yourselves, then if you get hit, frankly, you deserve it.

Of course in this nanny state, that will never happen.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #35
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM
It sounds like an unfortunate "accident" due to the pedestrian not looking before darting across. Sucks to be her, but hardly grounds for a rant about how "inconsiderate" pedestrians are IMHO...
Pedestrians are often jerks though.

I've been driving down Maroondah Highway at 80km/h and this familiy (assuming husband, wife and child in pusher) just ambled casually across the road. I had to slow right down to let them finish crossing. They did not rush or show any sense of urgency.
I gave them the finger (only time I have ever done it in the car) to let them know they were being unreasonable. The bloke gave it back to me...but for goodness sake, pedestrians just don't care.

They expect traffic to stop too often, and even a blast of the horn appears to have no effect anymore.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #36
RRM
Starter Motor

It sounds like you need a double-sided edumacation campaign in your country:

DRIVERS ARE PEOPLE TOO
PEDESTRIANS ARE PEOPLE TOO
I am begging all pedestrians to please please think of the drivers on the road and not just about your bloody selves!
RRM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #37
Den76
Phantom cruiser

Ghiagirl- as long as you all remember that it was her fault, im sure your 6 yr will recall it and hopefully he can pass on the message to his mates when he gets older.
How is your hubby going?

This sort of behaviour has been happening for a long time, even when l was in high school l remember a kid shot out between parked cars, ran across the road in front of a oncoming car threw him about 20 meters down the road, extremely lucky to survive a bit worst for wear but still living, massive uproar about parents dropping kids at school ( again drivers fault ), funny thing about it was if has had crossed at the crossing which was about 30 meters further back all would have been fine.

What happened to the pedistrian saying of "look left" "look right" "look left again" doesnt seem to be spoken of anymore?
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #38
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
TAC ads currently on TV imply the driver to be at fault even in this situation, so pedestrians now think they can just step in front of cars without looking.

They should have ads to educate pedestrians instead of their insistence on drivers to "knock off 5".

Excellent idea. These should be played in the city.
I actually have this idea where tvs should be on display in electronics shops in the front window, playing safety messages and such constantly. Show off the TV working, but also get these messages into the city streets.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #39
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Is your car damaged??
Yeah, needs new bonnet, left hand side mirror and aerial. The police were of the opinion that the pedestrian should pay for the damages, undecided as yet what we'll do. Had quotes for about $1300.

Thanks for all the support guys (apart from one particular). The kids are still talking about it alot, I was going to stop them, but I think that is part of the healing process for them so I'll let them deal with it their way for now.

Hubby and I are still pretty much a wreck over it (keeps replaying on my head), although hubby as driver is the worse for wear I think though. I know he's not comfortable about the drive to work tonight.

Thanks again guys, we're a tough bunch and will be fine.

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #40
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM
When you get a car sometime after puberty!
If you are unlucky enough to have someone rolling up your bonnet and hitting your windscreen you will understand why the Lady has posted this topic!
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #41
cycle myth

Yeah.... stupid pedestrians..

I work in Melbourne CBD - and I nearly collided with / smashed some poor guy's car today as I crossed under a green man..

(if you ever need to cross Flinders and Spencer just don't watch out, think that most times you step out a car will 50% of the time run that red light).

But deep down I know the safety camera will swoop down and stop that car from hitting me.

(Victoria - I think your road toll is full - your strategy is not working - so its costing peoples lives)

Time to educate.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #42
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Frankston has wonderful pedestrians, the mothers especially putting the pram out for the child to be hit or killed because of their stupidity. They're all lucky that I'm watching them.
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #43
RRM
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
When you get a car sometime after puberty!
If you are unlucky enough to have someone rolling up your bonnet and hitting your windscreen you will understand why the Lady has posted this topic!

But you don't really have any idea whether I've had a pedestrian come over the bonnet, or not, do you?
I am begging all pedestrians to please please think of the drivers on the road and not just about your bloody selves!
Old 31-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #44
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM
But you don't really have any idea whether I've had a pedestrian come over the bonnet, or not, do you?
If you had experienced anything like that you would understand the impact (no pun intended) that this kind of thing can have both on adults and children and you probably wouldn't be making stupid, sarcastic comments.

I would be very surprised if you had experience in anything more than going to school and jacking off.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #45
Kowalski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ever happened to Hector the Bloody Cat?!?!?!?!
When I was a kid he was always coming to school teaching us his songs about look to the left, look to the right etc.
My wife is a teacher and when I've asked her about this stuff replies they are taught NOTHING about crossing the road. If the muppets in government want to find a productive way to spend their money, rather than at brother-in-law's ad agency, why the hell don't they start teaching kids how to behave/interact with the real world situations they will face?
Bloody hell, kids don't even walk to school anymore because everyone they encounter is apparently going to abduct them!
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #46
brownieXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle myth
Yeah.... stupid pedestrians..

I work in Melbourne CBD - and I nearly collided with / smashed some poor guy's car today as I crossed under a green man..
The point of your post is what exactly?
The OP has said in their instance the pedestrian went across a RED light, and then most other contributors have recounted similar experiences. No one would deny that there are stupid drivers also, but when a pedestrian does something so stupid as to walk out into moving traffic there is not usually a good outcome.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #47
RRM
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
If you had experienced anything like that you would understand the impact (no pun intended) that this kind of thing can have both on adults and children and you probably wouldn't be making stupid, sarcastic comments.

I would be very surprised if you had experience in anything more than going to school and jacking off.
Those comments say more about yourself than anything else. The only sarcasm here is from you, and a couple of others who apparently can only figure out how to tackle the man, not the issue.

No I haven't hit a pedestrian. But a soccer mum stacked her SUV into the rear of my car on the motorway once so please don't assume I'm totally ignorant of the experience of a serious, life-threatening crash.

IIRC my thoughts (in order) when that happened were roughly:

1. HOLY ********** what was that?
2. I don't seem to be hurt
3. I wonder what happened to the other driver?
4. Good, she seems to be ok
5. Good, her two little boys in the back seem to be ok
6. dammit, my beautiful old car is f*cked.
7. Her insurance had better play ball

How anyone's feelings were emotionally affected seemed just so unimportant TBH.
Old 31-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #48
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903

Those comments say more about yourself than anything else. The only sarcasm here is from you, and a couple of others who apparently can only figure out how to tackle the man, not the issue.

No I haven't hit a pedestrian. But a soccer mum stacked her SUV into the rear of my car on the motorway once so please don't assume I'm totally ignorant of the experience of a serious, life-threatening crash.

IIRC my thoughts (in order) when that happened were roughly:

1. HOLY ********** what was that?
2. I don't seem to be hurt
3. I wonder what happened to the other driver?
4. Good, she seems to be ok
5. Good, her two little boys in the back seem to be ok
6. dammit, my beautiful old car is f*cked.
7. Her insurance had better play ball

How anyone's feelings were emotionally affected seemed just so unimportant TBH.

Rear ending a car and watching someone bounce over a car are two different things to see.

I've rear-ended a car, no damage to either vehicle, lucky, and we were all ok physically and emotionally, but i have no doubt in my mind that if i was to hit a pedestrian through either my fault or theirs, there would be a totally different outcome to the emotionally side of the accident. Unless of course you mean to run the person over

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #49
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Rear ending a car and watching someone bounce over a car are two different things to see.

I've rear-ended a car, no damage to either vehicle, lucky, and we were all ok physically and emotionally, but i have no doubt in my mind that if i was to hit a pedestrian through either my fault or theirs, there would be a totally different outcome to the emotionally side of the accident.
+1 to this.

Compare apples to apples and then what you have to say on the issue can be taken seriously RRM. Every near miss I've had with a pedestrian in Melb CBD scares me to hell. Every near miss Ive had with another car just pi$$es me off! Bumping a car at 40kmh is a virtual non-event; do the same to a pedestrian and they will suffer injury, possibly serious.

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #50
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM
No just a guess that someone who has experienced such trauma would most likely not post a Ronnie Johns youtube video up as a response to someone who has just had this happen to her.

Also that if you experienced a similar situation you would realise you will remember it for the rest of yuor life.

Last edited by paule11; 31-03-2010 at 06:36 PM.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #51
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
but i have no doubt in my mind that if i was to hit a pedestrian through either my fault or theirs, there would be a totally different outcome to the emotionally side of the accident.
I have done it twice, no biggie!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #52
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiagirl
Yeah, needs new bonnet, left hand side mirror and aerial. The police were of the opinion that the pedestrian should pay for the damages, undecided as yet what we'll do. Had quotes for about $1300.
Just give the name of the person to the insurance company and let them be the bad guy if they chase the person for costs.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post