Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #31
gtfpv
GT

so i'f i have a sore shoulder or back , i could buy a return ticket to surfers and get a free scan @ $79 , Just tell the security personell to look at the sore spot, its cheaper than a $500 scan !!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Little bit more than a stick figure.

could you imagine the crowd and papparazzi at the scanning machine everytime Jennifer Hawkins flies ???
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you

I for one am not happy with the situation, as near on 100% of the time that I have to travel I am positioning for work and have my pilots headset, GPS and associated gear in my cabin baggage. I always get questioned as to why I have this equipment, have my bags searched, occasionally have to remove my belt and shoes, get swabed for explosive materials, all in front of the public. It's worse if i'm in uniform and I fear that now with the impending release of these scanners it is going to be another invasion of mine and others privacy.
So you are saying you get treated the same as every person that has pins and /plates?

I have 3 plates and 14 3" screws in my hip I havent flown anywhere yet that hasnt lead to: shoes & belt off, drug swap, explosives swab and on 2 occasions "step this way sir" off to see whats under these clothes..... Actually I even copped this treatment after having to renew my busness registration which is done at the brisbane magistrates court. Whilst its irritating, I know they are dong their job, When know when I fly to ad an extra 20 mins in case this happens.

Its a part of life, and whilst I dont think we are going to be a serious target for terrorism. Its comforting to know that steps are in place to reduce the risks from not only potential attacks, but potentially from the unstable individual who has just got out of psychiatric care and feel like today is the day to make a scene and end it all.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #34
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

That looks really invasive! Alot of people aren't going to like the idea of airport security seeing them essentially naked. But in the world we live in, unfortunately these measures are becoming necessary.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #35
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The security systems don't work.

I recently (December) made it from Canberra through Brisbane to LA and then Chicago with a pocket knife in my carry on (unknowingly, I removed the big one I knew about). Security checkpoints at all airports, and twice in Brisbane, as you've got to pass a special checkpoint to board any planes to the US.
I have to agree it's a joke really, I carry a razor in my wallet which i use on a daily
basis to remove writting and stickers off glass soi I always have one in my wallet
to save me time if I need it and don't have one on me at the time.
I frequently forget about it being there and never once has an xray machine picked up on it.
If I remember I take it out as lets face it who needs the drama but airport security has
never picked it up.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #36
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

We were all born naked? No biggy.

It's not like we all don't know what boobies, vag and willy look like. Who gives.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wouldn't bother me in the least. Blame the people who feel like they have to fly planes into buildings or blow em out of the sky to make a point for this, it's the world we live in.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddyxe51
The guy how had the explosives in his pants had already got through Amsterdam which already has one of these full body scanner.
Yeah I've wondered about a suicide bomber who was going to meet 70 virgins putting explosives in his undies!

Kinda defeats the purpose I would have thought!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
It wouldn't bother me in the least. Blame the people who feel like they have to fly planes into buildings or blow em out of the sky to make a point for this, it's the world we live in.
The terrorists hate our way of life.
They hate the idea of individual freedom.
They hate the idea of anyone questioning those in power.

They want to destroy our lifestyle and freedoms.

They are winning because there are also people who are not terrorists but want to do exactly the same thing.

SO STOP VOTING THEM INTO GOVERNMENT.................
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #40
JC260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Only a fool would believe in the fear propaganda that we're being told. Terror this and terror that. The real threat is not caused by some guys in a cave mate. :
I'm well aware of media beat up. My POINT was that as always, it'll take an attack or significant event to occur before something will get done - scanners or otherwise.

Having served in Afghanistan, i'd like to think i have a fair idea of the real threat, mate.

THE LAST-BA XR8|BLUEPRINT|5 SPEED|19"ROH VAPOUR'S|BPR CAI|KINGS SL & SSL|DBA SLOTTED|DJR BOBTAIL|LEATHER|

THE NEW-FAMILY SPEC ZD ESCAPE...
JC260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #41
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Where in my case, ill be accused of wearing one ahahahahaha
:
I'm guessing some inventive souls could come up with undershirt graffiti that would show up on the scanners. ( evil grin )

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #42
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
That looks really invasive! Alot of people aren't going to like the idea of airport security seeing them essentially naked. But in the world we live in, unfortunately these measures are becoming necessary.
They are not necessary. This whole walk through x-ray is not necessary. It will never pass. Its too invasive. I work in security at an airport. Its already bad enough dealing with really angry/not in the mood passengers. There is no way this will pass as regulatory, not enough people would agree to have their most private intimate areas revealed to security just to fly.

Its laughable. Maybe in Washington DC, something they will 'force' it, but not anywhere else. Nobody would be willing to give away that much just too fly. Trust me.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #43
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Only a fool would believe in the fear propaganda that we're being told. Terror this and terror that. The real threat is not caused by some guys in a cave mate. :
This guy is making a lot of sense. They like to 'scare' you, so they can take your freedom away to make you feel 'protected' and 'safe'. Yet you are giving more of your self away then ever. You are giving your self up to the government and letting them control you in almost all ways. You don't even have to think about it.

You're probably thinking "yeah what ever" as you read this. But its reality.

I don't believe us Aussies are able to go with this. Come on! We may as well take all our cloths off before we step through security, JUST TO FLY!

Unbelievable. What happened to aussie freedom. To us free people speaking out aloud. Or what, we following china. Too scared to speak our voice?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #44
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

And the security doesn't work. Companies 'invent' stuff to sell to scared (scratch that - stupid) governments.

e.g. Bomb detectors that don't work.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/wo...sors.html?_r=1

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #45
aye you
The Origional, The Best

the government says that the scanners will only show a stick figure with red squares indicating danger errors. But until they release the exact spec of these systems I see this as a knee jerk reaction that is poorly concieved by a government that wants to put up the illusion that they are acting on the publics fear of a terrorist incident within aviation and trying to ruch though legislation without opposition.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #46
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
This guy is making a lot of sense. They like to 'scare' you, so they can take your freedom away to make you feel 'protected' and 'safe'. Yet you are giving more of your self away then ever. You are giving your self up to the government and letting them control you in almost all ways. You don't even have to think about it.

You're probably thinking "yeah what ever" as you read this. But its reality.

I don't believe us Aussies are able to go with this. Come on! We may as well take all our cloths off before we step through security, JUST TO FLY!

Unbelievable. What happened to aussie freedom. To us free people speaking out aloud. Or what, we following china. Too scared to speak our voice?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #47
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
This is not a place for childish pictures. This is a serious plot against the most basic human rights.

(to the person who posted the pic)
So you wouldn't mind having your wife/girlfriend looked at from the inside each time she flies? You wouldn't mind that her privacy has been breached all in order of 'anti terrorism'?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #48
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
This is not a place for childish pictures. This is a serious plot against the most basic human rights.

So you wouldn't mind having your wife/girlfriend looked at from the inside each time she flies? You wouldn't mind that her privacy has been breached all in order of 'anti terrorism'?
Woah, Serious Sam!!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #49
Director

Default waste of money

Time for a whinge, not about the privacy but about the rationale behind these scanners.
Firstly I would have hoped that the airlines could make a genuine effort to make sure the traveller is who they say they are, the checkin machines currently used are a genuine security concern in their own right. Bring back checkin staff who can have a decent look at your photo id.

Secondly I would prefer if the govt and airlines invested the money for these scanners into intelligence, I would much rather the security personell recognise a threat before the terrorist reaches the scanner where I am standing with my family. Do you reckon if a bomber is detected at the security screening he will say "ok you got me" or will he decide to end it for everybody there and then?
Thirdly I dont care about anyone seeing my willy.

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #50
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:

Yes I understand, perhaps my humour is in appropriate. If I had realised how serious your concerns were I would have suggested you air them to your local state/federal member of parliament instead of on a car forum.

I would prefer to have myself or my wife scanned with this machine and a have a reduced risk, then not. If you are that concerned about you privacy perhaps driving or taking a boat would be a better option for you? Remember flying is not a right, its a service that is sold based on a series of rules and regulations. Would you prefer it if the rule was "Be at the airport 5 hrs before your flight, as you and your wife/girlfriend will be strip searched and cavity examined"

I was under the impression that these scanners could also pick up drug packages as well? If that is the case, would a moment of scanning be better then having more illicit drugs on the street that your family and loved ones could be exposed to?

On a side note, If you are that concerned about your privacy/dignity being breached god help you if you ever have to go to hospital!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If someone wants to blow up a plane, they're going to blow up a plane. No matter how much security there is to stop weapons getting onboard, couldn't you just shoot at it in the aircraft viewing car park?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #52
BOSHOG
avenge me

personally i think this is more about catching people with drugs or cash strapped to themselves whilst travelling interstate

terrorism is a MINIMAL threat in australia as we have so few credible targets.

would blowing up parliment house and killing all the pollies effect the world? ......no

do many people around the world know who australias PM is?.... no

if they do know who he is do they actually think he effects the world?..... no

so unless you have something to hide there really is no issue, if youre embarressed about your body you kinda need to get over it....... IM FAT and you dont need a body scanner to see it
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #53
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
So you are saying you get treated the same as every person that has pins and /plates?

I have 3 plates and 14 3" screws in my hip I havent flown anywhere yet that hasnt lead to: shoes & belt off, drug swap, explosives swab and on 2 occasions "step this way sir" off to see whats under these clothes..... Actually I even copped this treatment after having to renew my busness registration which is done at the brisbane magistrates court. Whilst its irritating, I know they are dong their job, When know when I fly to ad an extra 20 mins in case this happens.

Its a part of life, and whilst I dont think we are going to be a serious target for terrorism. Its comforting to know that steps are in place to reduce the risks from not only potential attacks, but potentially from the unstable individual who has just got out of psychiatric care and feel like today is the day to make a scene and end it all.

I have a few plates and screws (think four plates in my face and a fair few screws, plus screws in my knee) but I have never set anything off. I think different detectors have various settings - sometimes I can go through with belts and everything on and sometimes I cant. I must admit I am not too happy if my wife or daughter has to go through something like this - I am not too fussed if its me.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #54
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dept of Homeland Security has said " terrorists will surgically implant explosive devices that can be exploded by injecting catalyst into them via insulin syringe, as you can take insulin syringes onboard. Body Scanners cann't detect implanted explosives"
The Detroit experience, the nigerian went thru Amsterdam airport, which has scanners and wasn't detected !!!!!
Rudd is wasting money...
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #55
XAGSV8
Member 178

We all know KRUDD loves the Chinese and wants to turn this country into it. This is just another step towards taking our basic rights away (also internet filtering etc). How long after this is implemented before we see news headlines of dodgy airport security been caught out printing good looking flyers and mocking the not so good looking. Everybody who likes the idea needs to sit down and imagine the feeling they will have when they are about to step into one of these scanners. I know I would feel slightly violated knowing a stranger is seeing all my bits. I don't like it one bit.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #56
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can we wear a sports protector, to hide the family jewels ???????????
Old 12-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #57
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Can we wear a sports protector, to hide the family jewels ???????????
Be proud.. Walk through with a full mongrel....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #58
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Pop a viagra standing in the queue.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #59
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Or walk up and say. No worries, no need for the scanner, and start stripping.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #60
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or walk up and say. No worries, no need for the scanner, and start stripping.
They dont like that trust me... dont know what they thought would happen when I remove my belt but a belt is there is keep my pants up. As for going commando thats my choice.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post