Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Fevola out - Good call/Bad call?
Good call 42 56.00%
Bad call 33 44.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy
Spot on mate.

I'm a Carlton fan, I've got blue blood, but I think it's time to let him go and concentrate on a new forward that doesn't detract and distract fellow team members.
We will have a new full forward who ever that may be, and they will kick goals just like Fev did, it comes with the territory.
Yep.
Ive worked with talented professional athletes/sports people all my life, and i can assure you just because they can appear to perform on court or on the field doesn't mean they're good for the group or the club.
Appearances can be deceiving, the dynamics on the training track and amongst team mates and the associated behind the scenes issues can over shadow the game performances which are often viewed in isolation by fans who arent privy to the goings on behind the scenes, and don't realise that the team may well perform better as a unit without their "star"..
Coaches are continually walking a fine line between discipline and nursing fragile gifted primadona's who often create more headaches than fans realise.
The problem with allowing people like these to get away with stuff is the example and resentment it creates amongst the playing group.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #32
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Bloody good call.

With Matty Lloyd retiring Essendon needs a new power forward.

Come on Knights, get this one right and pick him up lol.
As much as I would love to see this happen I just don't think it will. Knights is very committed to the youth policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #33
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
As much as I would love to see this happen I just don't think it will. Knights is very committed to the idiot policy.
Fixed.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #34
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy

RG, no tanking for CARLTON, leave that to Collingwood. :
lol, Carlton tanked for a few years to get blokes like Murphy & Gibbs, and who could forget the Matthew Kreuzer cup game against Melbourne a couple of years back :

Collingwood tanked once to get Scott Pendlebury and then went back into the finals.

As a pies fan I would love to see Fev in the black & white as it will get us that much closer to genuinely challenging for the flag.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #35
XC-351

BAD CALL!

what a joke giveing away one of the best forwards in the game, i dont understand how people can say he will be replaced, and a new forward will kick goals (yeah maybe 4-5 but not 7+

Worst move for carlton thought there was a chance for top 4 next year, without fiv i highley doubt it...

Instead of putting heavy restriction on him there just gonna palm him off to another club whos then gonna give him restrictions, and what because he joins another club tha means he will change???

drinking has always been part of footy, end of year holidays, mad mondays etc etc not just in afl but in under 16's

WHAT A JOKE

makes me angry
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #36
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Warrick Capper Mk II

Welcome the Gold Coast Fevola
Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #37
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Brendan Fevola for Barry Hall??
hahahah I joke I joke....

Interstate team will probably pick him up for a draft pick.... Maybe Freo??? Play Pavlich in the centre of the ground and have Fev up front???

Can't see any reputable Melbourne club having a dip at him.... Richmond perhaps... They've got a dead list and nothing to lose...
Hardwick has already destroyed his career by taking the job.... so he may as well balls it up completely... They've got cuz.... why not get barry hall and fev on the front line... then re-name the club to the Richmond Misfits?

Who knows... Go hawks....
PS - At least we won't go for him... Bring on the Buddy & Roughie show 2010!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #38
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Larrakin? He's a drunken knob who plays AFL.
i don't condone his behaviour, but have you never got on the turps?? brownlow was his first slip up this year and the season for him was over. sure he was still representing the club and should have had more self control given that he is a high profile player.

i'm no carlton supporter, i simply enjoy the game that is AFL football. (even though the powers that be are trying hard to wreck it). i personally thought fevola had improved a lot this year, esp with his forward defensive pressure. sometimes the past is the past and thats where it should stay.

plenty of people i know have a bit of a bender and do things they regret. thats why i say he is just a normal bloke. the fact that he chose the career he did means he has to control this behaviour and i thought 2009 he did ok.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #39
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Proberbly a good decision for the club, but poorly handled and a lot of buck passing.

It's not too often i agree with 4Vman, but i have to agree that allowing Fev to appear on the Footy Show was like kicking a dog and complaining when it bites you on the a55.

The Footy show have a bit to answer for, as it was them that he was 'performing' for.
Every year the drunken carryon at the Brownlow has been a high point for the GF footy show and every year the level of drunken stupidity has risen.
Fans loved to watch sam ham it up, but as he is a 9 employee and not a player he got away with it.
They knew darn well putting Fev in that situation could end in tears and thats what they got, yet all they did was detract themselves from it.

Lets not forget, there was a 9 crew there filming him, who you would presume were sober, why didnt they pull him up before he got out of hand?

Lets face it, theres no point being a tool for the cameras if the cameras arent rolling.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #40
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Great move if you ask me!, he has more than enough chances to changes his idiotic ways and yet he keeps messing up!! : , hopefully he will learn from this!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #41
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Lets not forget, there was a 9 crew there filming him, who you would presume were sober, why didnt they pull him up before he got out of hand?
Why should they? They are there for ratings, if someone misbehaves, that's newsworthy(there was/is great public interest). They weren't there to baby sit Fev or look after his long term interests.
Perhaps someone from Carlton or Fev's family should have looked after him, or perhaps Carlton took the view that they want players to act responsibly without having to intervene/hide the poor behaviour from the public
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #42
boss-290

You people are mad. FEVOLA IS CRAPOLA!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #43
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i believe he was hard done by. oh no, a footy player having too many drinks at the brownlow?? but of course he was on camera the whole time and hes a bloke everyone loves to hate, he acted stupid and no doubt hed regret it but hes unwinding and its been a long time between drinks

GOOD CALL.... collingwood will take him, thank you!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i don't condone his behaviour, but have you never got on the turps?? brownlow was his first slip up this year and the season for him was over. sure he was still representing the club and should have had more self control given that he is a high profile player.

i'm no carlton supporter, i simply enjoy the game that is AFL football. (even though the powers that be are trying hard to wreck it). i personally thought fevola had improved a lot this year, esp with his forward defensive pressure. sometimes the past is the past and thats where it should stay.

plenty of people i know have a bit of a bender and do things they regret. thats why i say he is just a normal bloke. the fact that he chose the career he did means he has to control this behaviour and i thought 2009 he did ok.
Its not a case of making one slip up, its a case of doing time and time again and doing it when you are on your last warning that makes him a moron, especially at such a high profile event like the Brownlow, when he kept doing stupid things whenever the camera was pointed at him during the count. Did he think people wouldn't notice?

Demetrio was massively pi55ed off about it.

If it was only the first time he had done it it would have blown over by now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #45
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its not a case of making one slip up, its a case of doing time and time again and doing it when you are on your last warning that makes him a moron, especially at such a high profile event like the Brownlow, when he kept doing stupid things whenever the camera was pointed at him during the count. Did he think people wouldn't notice?

Demetrio was massively pi55ed off about it.

If it was only the first time he had done it it would have blown over by now.
Yeah but this mistake is massive compared to his other ones and I think this one will be the one he'll learn from. Well, one would hope.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #46
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

After hearing from someone "in the know" about what actually happened Fev getting booted is no surprise and really is the only course of action.

The story in the media isn't even a half truth. There are things they are saying that didn't actually happen and there are things that happened that they know nothing about. It's the latter that has gotten him into so much trouble.

I was told all this in confidence so I won't be repeating them on an open forum but rest assured, he messed up BIG.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

What or who is a 'Fevola' ?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #48
territorrie
Was once XR6Turbo81

Being a Carlton supporter yes everyone knew "we were coming" this year but next year our slogan will be "They know we're going backwards" without Fevola.

BAD CALL!!!!!!!!
territorrie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #49
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Turbo81
Being a Carlton supporter yes everyone knew "we were coming" this year but next year our slogan will be "They know we're going backwards" without Fevola.

BAD CALL!!!!!!!!
As I said above, if you knew what actually happened you would see that this was the only decision that could be made.

Bad for on-field yes, bad for off-field no.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #50
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Good call.

It was the only realistic action the club could take - it's not the first time his actions have embarassed the club!!! How many chances can a person get???

Yes it will affect their on-field performances, that is without question....but the club has won back some respect from the rest of the AFL universe for sticking to its guns and showing Fev that he is not above anybody else at the club - everyone is expendable.

Where will he go??? I don't think any Melbourne club would want the stigma of Fev hanging over them (just a matter of 'when' his next stuff-up is)....I reckon Sydney!!

Not a bad replacement for Barry Hall; Paul Roos has good man-management skills......plus being in a city where AFL is not the major code, will take some of the spotlight off Fevola....won't be under so much scrutiny.

Yeah at the end of the day it's just a footy player who had too many drinks, and if it was a Mad Monday-type celebration, nobody would have cared less (as long as he didn't pee on any more pub windows) - look at Jason Akermanis - he didn't even show up to the Brownlow becuase he was so smashed from the Bulldogs Mad Monday drinks.....nobody seems to care about that!!!

But this is supposed to be the showpiece gala event of the AFL season, and to disrespect everybody else who attended, by acting the way he did, was pretty moronic.

Just my two cents..
Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #51
XC-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
As I said above, if you knew what actually happened you would see that this was the only decision that could be made.

Bad for on-field yes, bad for off-field no.

also have heard about what really happend, im sure it will come out in the public one day, but i still say it all only happened because he was drunk... all carlton had to do is give him a strict non alcohol contract, stating that he cant drink during the seanson or off season or his contract will be termanated...

Unless the next club does this hell do same thing again...

I still dont think it was overally bad...

We had Aka on the same day to smashed to even show his face at the brownlow and we have ben cousins still playing football after all the drugs...

and what annoys me most is everyhone says hes a bad influance on children, well no one would have knoiwn about all of it if they didnt put it in the media...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #52
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
We had Aka on the same day to smashed to even show his face at the brownlow and we have ben cousins still playing football after all the drugs...
if aka was smashed, at least he did not show up for the award, he could not win and therefore probably not poll well and not be missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
and what annoys me most is everyhone says hes a bad influance on children, well no one would have knoiwn about all of it if they didnt put it in the media...
you are correct with this line, and i am looking at it slightly different to what you seem be saying, but he (and all of the other afl/nrl/aust cricketers etc.) is paid very well, only because the media have given the game attention. because of that the players should behave themselves and act like role models. if they want to play up and be one of the boys as fevola did, then they should go back to the past when most players were paid very little and had to do a trade through the week to make ends meet

they are very priviledged to be able to play a game they love and be paid well for it, simply because they are popular. the flip side is, they must be behave simply because they are popular

the problem is most of the players are not that sharp, if they weren't playing, they would be pumping gas
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #53
torbirdie

I have heard through some reliable connections to footy that it wasnt just the footage that channel 9 didnt show that was the only stuff where he mucked up, I cant elaborate, and just these off camera instances alone were enough to sway Carlton officialdom that he had to go.

The influence of alcohol was obviously at the root of his behaviour, however, alcohol rarely causes a Jeckyl and Hyde change, just shows the real nature of some people when "damn the consequences" is taken out of the equation.

Last edited by torbirdie; 03-10-2009 at 02:26 PM.
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #54
Teflon Turbo
Banned

good call hutchy, he is coming to the pies!
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #55
rodderz

A mate said he heard Mike Sheahan mention on the radio that Fev gave Nathan Brown and Warren Tredrea a whack after being smart to both of them, one of them left bleeding
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #56
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
A mate said he heard Mike Sheahan mention on the radio that Fev gave Nathan Brown and Warren Tredrea a whack after being smart to both of them, one of them left bleeding
Haven't heard that one, I really can't see Brown let alone Tredrea copping one from Fev.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #57
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone seen the youtube hitler/fev video, it is freakin hilarious! I wont put a link here as im not sure i am allowed to because it has quite a bit of cussing in it. Check it out!!
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #58
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Haven't heard that one, I really can't see Brown let alone Tredrea copping one from Fev.
There seems to be a few rumours doing the rounds, latest I heard was Murphy from the blues copped it after trying to settle him down
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #59
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
He got drunk, mucked up.. big deal, he didnt punch on, take drugs or kill anyone.
Disagree. A poor role model. He should have had some more self-control, especially as he's been a repeat offender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That said ive never been able to understand how Carlton let him stay on the Footy show because he allways came across as the village idiot, i think he did more damage to Carlton (and his own image) on the footy show that at the Brownlow.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
It had to be done IMO. Similar to the Cousins scenario. He might be a good player but Fevola has stuffed up too many times now.
For sure.

In the end, you reap what you sow. It's reaping time. It just may be the jolt the guy needs to rise above some of his personal deficiencies and start to play his best football yet.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #60
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its an excellent call, kangas to pick up the scraps. Maybe a chicken movie part 2.

But seriously i cant believe that they got rid of him, he was such a major key to their team.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post