Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
You still haven't mentioned that you know any of them but your comments can be fair in part. I will say that some of the motoring journos certainly can be a little eccentric in some ways. But open slander against their professionalism is pretty rough. No different than someone getting on here and saying tuner x is completely hopeless etc. Many of the motoring journos also have trades, some as mechanics some as trades outside of the auto world etc. Most that have ended up in the motoring field were car nuts first and foremost and then went on to study journalism or learned on the job while starting out as the office errand boy. The ones that were journos first and enthusiasts second I do like reading the least that is certain, but again not being an enthusiast can help objectivity. But nearly all take their job quite seriously, and most definitely do not like dissing product.

I should also add that most can also earn a lot more money under a lot better conditions and work hours doing other things than following cars. But they do it because they like it.
Good points, but these guys (like the majority at CSU) wanted to be news readers first and foremost. Cars are not really their thing.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #32
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but you are one and you are heavily biased against Ford and refuse to accept that anyone else's opinion has anywhere near the validity or merit of your own.

So there is one.
SPOT ON.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #33
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The Mazda 6 hatch appeals to me because of its practicality for carrying my hobby stuff, also that the manual is available in the luxury versions. However my concern with Mazdas is their longevity. How many '70's and even '80's Mazdas do you see on the roads these days compared to similar aged Falcons and Holdens? Hardly any or none. How many Mazdas have travelled over 200,000 km? Probably not many.

This survey only looks at the newer cars, not owners of 5, 10, 20 year old cars where I would think the story would be quite different.

And as for the uneven floor comment against the FG, the journos dont understand that the hollow bit is actually a big advantage so stuff doesnt roll or slide all over place.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
And as for the uneven floor comment against the FG, the journos dont understand that the hollow bit is actually a big advantage so stuff doesnt roll or slide all over place.
If Journo's are complaining about something trivial as this then you know they are finding it quite difficult to fault the car.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
tyler06

Quote:
How many '70's and even '80's Mazdas do you see on the roads these days compared to similar aged Falcons and Holdens? Hardly any or none. How many Mazdas have travelled over 200,000 km? Probably not many.
IMO if it wasnt for Ford and Holden lovers alike, i really do not think that you would see as many similar aged falcons and commodores on the road. After all they get alot more attention than a 82 Mazda 626.
tyler06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #36
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The Mazda 6 hatch appeals to me because of its practicality for carrying my hobby stuff, also that the manual is available in the luxury versions. However my concern with Mazdas is their longevity. How many '70's and even '80's Mazdas do you see on the roads these days compared to similar aged Falcons and Holdens? Hardly any or none. How many Mazdas have travelled over 200,000 km? Probably not many.
My parents had a 1997 Mazda 121 and it travelled over 350000km while they owned it without spending a cent on it (other than normal maintenance obviously). They then sold it to their friends who have done probably another 100000km since then without spending a cent on it. There is nothing wrong with Mazdas.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
apart form the XF days (when ford could do nothing wrong and had 23% of market) the falcon has had an ongoing image problem against the commodore. Even though many falcon models may have had technical superiority over eqivalent holden model.

marketing dept to blame?
falcon outsold commodore, often comfortably, right up until the vt.

also, regarding the boot floor, i like the fact that its not flat. stops things from sliding around etc.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post