Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which do you choose?
XR8 Sprint $56,000 68 51.13%
FPV GT $66,000 65 48.87%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #31
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

gt for the badge ,sprint didnt and wont really do anything for me ...........gee you been thinking a lot flappist
Old 18-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #32
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG XR8 Sprint. The FG GT 315 engine is a pig for supercharging, the 290 on the other hand is great.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #33
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Sprint for me as well............

The FG....XR8 looks better and if it performed admirably and was 10K cheaper...I'd be happy. The current GT in FG guise is a bit of a TROLL........wasn't a fan of it looks from the beginning and it still hasn't grown on me........I'm trying real hard..but losing the battle.........roll on FG2 with some better thought out and cohesive styling......

If the question / situation was for BF...........no brainer........GT all the way.

Whilst you're at it Flappy...why not bring back the ESP as well !!!!!!.........add a EURO touch to the local product........or is that the GTE anyways.....??
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Easy one for me. Irrespective of cost.

GT = History, tradition, pedigree, looks, prescence etc.
Sprint = Nothing.

The XR may be a little better looking on the outside over the current GT, but when you open up the XR cabin and look inside the trim levels are complete and absolute : .

Unless you option in leather which helps, but theres still those feral cheap looking cluster guages and that non colour ICC without splashing out for more options and cost.

The Sprint to me in a hypothetical FG line up would EXACTLY equal a poor mans GT. Like the GS was unkindly referred to in the 70's
Was easier to stick Donny's quote in as it was what I was going to say ..... Except the GT murders the XR in looks on the outside ....

Ford would still have this as the V8 performance model .... no matter what they did to the Sprint. The Sprint was a one hit wonder ... as good as they were, like the TE/S AU's were not GT ....... even if it was only missing the badge. If FPV put more effort into the GT, it will guarantee it will remain as the icon it is/was but I still love what they have done so far. GT for me

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Whilst you're at it Flappy...why not bring back the ESP as well !!!!!!.........add a EURO touch to the local product........or is that the GTE anyways.....??
Actually I had never thought of that. The GT-E and ESP do seem to share quite a bit of DNA.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually I had never thought of that. The GT-E and ESP do seem to share quite a bit of DNA.
I wonder how it would sell if it was called an ESP rather the GT-E??

Old 18-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #37
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

To buy a car and pay extra for a badge to me seems ridiculous. I'd take the Sprint.
I wouldn't buy either car for collecting purposes either I'd buy it and drive it.

All the little interior luxuries the GT has over the sprint are lost on me as well. So no body kit and lower class interior suit me perfectly.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #38
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
To buy a car and pay extra for a badge to me seems ridiculous. I'd take the Sprint.
I wouldn't buy either car for collecting purposes either I'd buy it and drive it.

All the little interior luxuries the GT has over the sprint are lost on me as well. So no body kit and lower class interior suit me perfectly.
People buy Merc's, BM;s and countless others ...... not because of how good they are but because of the badge and in many many cases, pay dearly to do so. Nothing wrong with it at all. To own a Rolex when a Casio does exactly the same thing?

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #39
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Assuming they depreciate evenly (very hypothetical), then definitely the Sprint. Depends on whether you buy it because you want a sports car or a Grand tourer.

Holden did a similar thing with the SV8, they didn't sell as well but I'd go an SV8 over an SS any day. Same car, just cheaper with a different body kit and interior.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #40
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
People buy Merc's, BM;s and countless others ...... not because of how good they are but because of the badge and in many many cases, pay dearly to do so. Nothing wrong with it at all. To own a Rolex when a Casio does exactly the same thing?
Nah nothing wrong with it. Each to their own. I was just expressing my opinion on the Sprint V GT.

On a side note I'd take the Casio with my Sprint too.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
As well as if it were called a Force 8? I hope not. I suspect the GT part of GT-E has helped a bit. I also suspect that FPV will not ever release a another V8 without GT in the title somewhere as regardless of how good they are, all of the T series and the Force 8 sold only a fraction of the sales of GT(X).

It is quite complex, the poll shows strong support for the "Sprint".

In theory, theory and reality are the same but in reality they seldom are......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #42
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think it really depends on the type of car owner you are, some pefer to stand out, some are after speed and etc. etc

i had a choice of an xr8, sprint and a gt, at the time i felt that the XR6 was a better car than the XR8, and i knew that the GT had more style and looks, but the Sprint was more subtle, didnt stand out, and yet had the same power.

later on i did realise that the sprint was actually quicker due to not having all the gizmos inside, such as the ghia interior, and all the bodywork

to me i feel that in the current state, that ford is in the same stance, IMO the FG xr6 turbo is alot better than the XR8 ( and possibly all FG V8's), and alot of people who want performance would pefer a F6 over a GT, but there is also some people that want only a v8, but dont care about the bigger bodykits and to 'stand out' so in this sense, the sprint would be a good choice,

and then again, my main choice to buy mine in the end was to have a car that every man and his dog didnt have, this is in the same category now, with thousands of xr8's around and hundreds of GT's bing sold, having a sprint would make it rarer and more sought after in the years to come
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #43
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
I was talking recently with some ford enthusiests I know who are not members here about the F6E and the comment was made that FPV only released it because they saw how well the G6ET was selling.
This led to Ford vs FPV discussions on many fronts and the question "What if ford released an XR8 Sprint again like they did in the ED would it take GT sales?
Ford didn't release the XR8 Sprint. Tickford (Now FPV) did.
Ford did not produce any XR's straight out of the factory until FPV took over tickford and started producing the B series GTs.
Ford/FPV really needed to align themselves and their products with the Holden/HSV range in the market place.

As for XR8 Sprint, I ask "why?" FPV is put in place for a reason, after all it IS an acronym for Ford PERFORMANCE Vehicles.
The G6ET is really only there to make up for a lack of V8 Fairmont ghia so FORD can compete with the V8 calais. the XR series is there to compete with the SS and SSv all of them Factory produced with a factory badge.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #44
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
It is quite complex, the poll shows strong support for the "Sprint".

In theory, theory and reality are the same but in reality they seldom are......
Unfortunately, a strong support for a cheaper GT on a Ford forums, where the majority of members aren't new car buyers isn't the greatest market research.
I'm sure the majority would love a V10 powered Falcon coupe, but we're a tad biased.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
jatt
Starter Motor

Personally still think the G6ET is the best looking car in the whole range (with the performance to boot) and wouldn't go past it.
jatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #46
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Sprint would not be a "poor man's or entry level GT", it would not have the body kit, interior or upgrade options of the FPV range.
Unfortunately I think the time has come and gone for this type of car; I think it would fail. Look at the SV8 - basically SS without the fluff. Very much unloved. People want fluff these days .. they want the badges, heated seats, etc.

Personally I'd buy a Sprint (like I bought and SV8), but I fear I'd be in a small minority ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #47
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Unfortunately, a strong support for a cheaper GT on a Ford forums, where the majority of members aren't new car buyers isn't the greatest market research.
I'm sure the majority would love a V10 powered Falcon coupe, but we're a tad biased.
Price has absolutely nothing to do with my vote for the Sprint....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #48
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I know its off TOPIC.but what the hell......

A current day ESP ( GTE ) should have had the following ( based on the buyer demographic / target audience )
  • Delete Brembo Brakes ( save $$$$ )
  • Add PBR type performance brake pack -( BREMBO option )
  • LED Headlamp and tail light assembly
  • Nappa leather interior ( sport / comfort seat design )
  • MRC suspension set up
  • 20 - 21" wheel and tyre package
  • UNIQUE Classy 2 tone type paint package with limited colour combo
  • Factory Quad exhaust outlets with OVAL TIPS ( ala AMG )
  • FPV delete badge - ESP badging on front grille and rear bootlid ONLY
  • CHOICE of T6 OR 8
  • A night out on the town with the V8 Supercars Grid girls ( instead of FPV drive day ).......after all....the ESP would be the gentlemans car and not the BOY racer's car.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I know its off TOPIC.but what the hell......

A current day ESP ( GTE ) should have had the following ( based on the buyer demographic / target audience )
  • Delete Brembo Brakes ( save $$$$ )
  • Add PBR type performance brake pack -( BREMBO option )
  • LED Headlamp and tail light assembly
  • Nappa leather interior ( sport / comfort seat design )
  • MRC suspension set up
  • 20 - 21" wheel and tyre package
  • UNIQUE Classy 2 tone type paint package with limited colour combo
  • Factory Quad exhaust outlets with OVAL TIPS ( ala AMG )
  • FPV delete badge - ESP badging on front grille and rear bootlid ONLY
  • CHOICE of T6 OR 8
  • A night out on the town with the V8 Supercars Grid girls ( instead of FPV drive day ).......after all....the ESP would be the gentlemans car and not the BOY racer's car.
Like it all! except the 2 tone paint err i mean "coach work"..... ewww...

Unfortunately the ESP branding will result in "force 6/8" style sales.. at-least the "GT" branding will improve that to some degree..

Old 19-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWXR6
Gt for me. That namesake means more than "Sprint" IMO.
Sprint has history, its another sporty ford nameplate, first used in 63 on V8 models, it added things like sports seats wheels and more crome...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #51
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Ford recently had an ESP badge during the BF runout... silly thing to do.

FPV didn't undercut Ford when introducing the F6-E so I'm not sure this would affect G6ET's sales like it would FPV's if Ford "retaliate" with said package.

To answer the question, I'd take the GT, although the Sprint's understated guise would certainly get me thinking. The reason I say GT is due to it's road presence, which no pic can do justice. Awesome looking imo.
Old 20-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #52
Boss 330
miss my V8

if it was still BA/BF, i would definately go with the sprint,the XRs looked nicer than the GTs but now with FG,i would go the FPV, i reckon the GT looks a million times better than the XR.
Boss 330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'd take the XR8 sprint if it was a series 2 with the grunt motor, mostly because my discount for Ford products is 21%, but only 14% on FPV's, so it would come in a hell of a lot cheaper. I wouldn't care if it was solely an engine upgrade to FPV power levels and nothing else, because the suspension and brakes can be done fairly cheaply later, and with better stuff than the factory offers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #54
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

The thing this is, on these criteria, I think the Sprint would be closer the the GT of old, basic options, no trinkets or 5hit'n'glitter, an engine with extra grunt, more of the old school thought of a powerful engine/drive-line combo and marketed as a genuine factory styled hottie, where now-a-days, the new GTs are more like the Landaus and LTDs, with all their creature comforts and gizmos. XR8s are aimed at people who want a V8, something different and stands out of the crowd, but wants to move a family, or have a link to their enthusiast side by not driving an XT. The XR6Ts are aimed squarely at Driver's car market, and rightly so.

Besides, I have seen threads on here where people discredit the new GTs and such for having no racing heritage blah blah blah, and deem them to be nothing more than a stricker package. In light of all this, I'd take the Sprint.

my 2c worth
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
The thing this is, on these criteria, I think the Sprint would be closer the the GT of old, basic options, no trinkets or 5hit'n'glitter, an engine with extra grunt, more of the old school thought of a powerful engine/drive-line combo and marketed as a genuine factory styled hottie, where now-a-days, the new GTs are more like the Landaus and LTDs, with all their creature comforts and gizmos. XR8s are aimed at people who want a V8, something different and stands out of the crowd, but wants to move a family, or have a link to their enthusiast side by not driving an XT. The XR6Ts are aimed squarely at Driver's car market, and rightly so.

Besides, I have seen threads on here where people discredit the new GTs and such for having no racing heritage blah blah blah, and deem them to be nothing more than a stricker package. In light of all this, I'd take the Sprint.

my 2c worth
The GT's of old were based on the top of the Falcon range Fairmont, they weren't stripped out base models.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #56
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The GT's of old were based on the top of the Falcon range Fairmont, they weren't stripped out base models.
At no time did I suggest they were stripped out base models. My comment was that the older GTs had the basic options, I did not refer to them as optioned base models. True they were not stripped base models, but my point was that any car made to meet homologation (spelling) rules was certainly built for the purpose of racing, and was a rawer version, with the drivers not afforded much in the way of creature comforts. The criteria of this question, to me anyway, would put this concept of a new "Sprint" closer in DNA and design to the old GTs, that the new ones. Just my opinion.

I take it you are referring to the old GTs carrying the fairmont trim? Cause if that's the only point of your disagreement, am I fairly close to the mark with the rest of my post?
Old 22-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #57
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
........... XR8s are aimed at people who want a V8, something different and stands out of the crowd, but wants to move a family, or have a link to their enthusiast side by not driving an XT............
And the FG GT is targeted at .... ? Do the numbers 290 & 315 have any bearing on what someone would buy, let alone the tougher (for me) looks than an XR8? Something different and stands out?? :yeees: Apart from a bulge I think they look a tad like an XR6 ..... but that could be just me? I still beleive the tag 'FORD GT' stands for something.

Hypothetically ..... if a Sprint was released I would guarantee that engine / drivetrain / brakeing would not and could not be specced close to GT. That's suicide and is about as likely as the V10 Twin tubro HO.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #58
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any "sprint" derivative that Ford would release would be sticker and (maybe) suspension only... there's no way the powers would allow ford to cannibalise FPV's sales with power and performance upgrades over the std range...
The XR series is an entry level performance range for the budget conscious and will remain that way.

Old 22-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #59
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

You raise some good points.

Quote:
And the FG GT is targeted at .... ? Do the numbers 290 & 315 have any bearing on what someone would buy, let alone the tougher (for me) looks than an XR8?
IMO the FG GT is aimed at a buyer demographic similiar the XR8, but the big difference being buyers are those who have the cash at their disposal, and the willingness to spend the extra on the top level model. I don't think anyone interested in the XR/FPVranges, would buy a base model falcon in place of an XR8 or GT. They would be more likely to buy a base type model 'brand whatever' as well as the GT to keep a weekly 400 kays off it.

Quote:
Something different and stands out?? :yeees: Apart from a bulge I think they look a tad like an XR6 ..... but that could be just me? I still beleive the tag 'FORD GT' stands for something.
ok, but on that logic, be sure that you don't tell all the GT owners that their cars look like F6s. :yeees: indeed! My point was that the XR range stands out from the standard base model Falcon, and so attracts a more enthusiast-type buyer. Is that a fair statement? Let me put it to you like this then, YOU are walking through a Ford dealership, there are 2 cars parked side by side. Would you drawn to the white FG with the Factory hupcaps, or the a brightly coloured XR6 with the 18"s and body kit?

Quote:
Hypothetically ..... if a Sprint was released I would guarantee that engine / drivetrain / brakeing would not and could not be specced close to GT. That's suicide and is about as likely as the V10 Twin tubro HO.
ummm... the question was hypothetical in any case, and yes if Ford did release a Sprint with the GT driveline it would be suicide in regard to sales of the GT range. Ford could not expect FPV to survive, if this type of car was released, but I think if it did, it would sell well. I know I'd have one.
Old 22-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The GT "Brand" is THE most recognised and most powerful "brand" in the "Australian built" performance segment... Bar None.
People buy GT's for a whole host in intengiable emotive reasons.