Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #31
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
You're kidding, right?
Riewoldt is in his best form for 2-3 years, they've got over many injuries, and they're in good form.

Geelong might be bloody awesome, but anybody can be beaten on the day.

Geelong might be great now, but I don't walk around being an arrogant like so many Collingwood supporters telling everybody how much their teams suck.

Every team can be dangerous on their day.

If we had played Adelaide in week one, I do not believe they would have been a threat at all, hence why I am so peeved at Essendon :P

I will admit that we haven't played St Kilda at the MCG for a bloody long time...I can't even remember during my lifetime anyway.

Geelong plays the MCG very well though.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #32
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Franklin to kick 10 in a loosing side? Perhaps they should tighten up then.

If St Kilda play their A game they are not guaranteed to win against Geelong. It depends how Geelong plays. If Geelong plays its A-Game, Geelong will cane St Kilda as St Kilda do not play as open as Geelong, and are not as even around the ground.

No standouts at Geelong? We have two of the top midfielders in the competition in Ablett (2nd year AFLPA MVP?) and Bartel.
The reason our defense has it so easy is because the midfield is so effective.

If Geelong plays its top game for the rest of the season, we will win.
However, things can happen...injuries for one.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #33
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Geelong might be great now, but I don't walk around being an arrogant like so many Collingwood supporters telling everybody how much their teams suck.

Only Collingwood supporters do that do they? I can tell you that there is 15 other clubs whose supporters are no angels, they're all as bad as each other.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #34
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If we had played Adelaide in week one, I do not believe they would have been a threat at all, hence why I am so peeved at Essendon :P
The pies supporters at work are saying the same thing. One in particular who already booked flights and accomodation in Melbourne months ago to watch the pies play this weekend, only to see Essendon get done by 108, pushing his pies to Adelaide. I've had a smile on my face since Sunday night. Beaten by Freo
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #35
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Im just gunna say the one thing that is oh so true, North Melbourne are the most underated team in the leauge, i think they are the dark horse!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #36
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Im just gunna say the one thing that is oh so true, North Melbourne are the most underated team in the leauge, i think they are the dark horse!
That may be true but the moment we rate them they'll give us a reason to again, under rate them.
Trip to Perth to be thrashed by the Dockers is a great example this year and don't get me started on the possible top 4, then lose to Port round 22.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #37
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
That just makes them difficult to tip. You never know when they are going to win and lose. They are a bit like the pies this year as well. At least the Crows beat just about all the teams under them, and lost to just about all the teams above them.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #38
prydey
Rob

if hawthorn can play like they did tonight for the next 2 games they will give it a real crack. awesome display by buddy again.

anyone know what the highest number of goals in a season is including finals?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #39
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if hawthorn can play like they did tonight for the next 2 games they will give it a real crack. awesome display by buddy again.

sorry to sound so negative, but who was their competition. it is easy to look good when playing a sub standard team
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #40
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Bob Pratt in 1934 and Peter Hudson in 1971 both kicked 150 goals in a season.

That is off the top of my head though.

Dunstall got 145 in 1992, and Hawthorn was eliminated in week one that year.
Had Hawthorn made it further, Dunstall would have had a real crack at breaking the record that year, as he was at his peak.

Ablett has kicked the most goals in a finals series, kicking 27 in 1989.
Next is Rod Todd with 23, then Kevin Bartlett with 20 in 1980.

The modern game is less about spearheads now.
Geelong has not got any player who is as good a goalkicker as Franklin, but our strength comes from our evenness. The Dogs also like to spread the load, although they've become a rabble at this end of the season.

I miss the days of the true full-forwards, especially in the early 90s with Modra, Daicos/Rocca, Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, and even Simon Minton-Connell. Peter Sumich kicked about 111 goals in 1991 as well, then 6 in the 1992 Grand Final, so he wasn't too bad himself.

I still miss Mark Bairstow and Couchy.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Franklin to kick 10 in a loosing side? Perhaps they should tighten up then.

If St Kilda play their A game they are not guaranteed to win against Geelong. It depends how Geelong plays. If Geelong plays its A-Game, Geelong will cane St Kilda as St Kilda do not play as open as Geelong, and are not as even around the ground.

No standouts at Geelong? We have two of the top midfielders in the competition in Ablett (2nd year AFLPA MVP?) and Bartel.
The reason our defense has it so easy is because the midfield is so effective.

If Geelong plays its top game for the rest of the season, we will win.
However, things can happen...injuries for one.
Geelong had twice as many players in the All Australian squad than any other team, they are chockers with standouts all over the ground. Thats why they are so good, they have no weaknesses.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #42
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Well was a great win by the pies to beat Adelaide at AAMI, 24 points down to win by 31. I thought the umpiring was pathetic for both teams and was glad it didn't come down to a stupid free kick to decide the game. I'd say the pies will play the saints next sat night but you never know.
Hawthorn played well but to me the dogs were very ordinary just as they have been for the last 8 weeks so they will have a tough match friday against either Sydney or the Roos. I wonder when Buddy is going to become a great player and kick double figures
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

due to me being a bit under the weather this w/end i didn't watch the game but i did have triple m on as i lay in bed. i must say they do a great call those boys. i often try to mute the telly and have the radio on but it just doesn't work.

bristle, lyon. spud and brayshaw really work well together. bristle was having a real crack at adelaide (the place) during the call. was funny as.

it was always going to be a tough ask for adelaide, who now have a very port like record in the finals under neil craig. 2 wins form 8 games.

you would assume the pies will play st kilda next week which should be a lot tougher task for them as their forward line is a lot more potent than adelaide and the midfield is pretty good as well.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #44
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Wishful thinking there DOC? I would much rather see the Crows win to be honest! Magpies don't have a good record at AAMI IIRC, but they are playing some good footy (excluding Friday night) and did beat the Crows earlier on in the year.
You called that one right, crows all packed up for another year
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Bob Pratt in 1934 and Peter Hudson in 1971 both kicked 150 goals in a season.

That is off the top of my head though.

Dunstall got 145 in 1992, and Hawthorn was eliminated in week one that year.
Had Hawthorn made it further, Dunstall would have had a real crack at breaking the record that year, as he was at his peak.

Ablett has kicked the most goals in a finals series, kicking 27 in 1989.
Next is Rod Todd with 23, then Kevin Bartlett with 20 in 1980.

The modern game is less about spearheads now.
Geelong has not got any player who is as good a goalkicker as Franklin, but our strength comes from our evenness. The Dogs also like to spread the load, although they've become a rabble at this end of the season.

I miss the days of the true full-forwards, especially in the early 90s with Modra, Daicos/Rocca, Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, and even Simon Minton-Connell. Peter Sumich kicked about 111 goals in 1991 as well, then 6 in the 1992 Grand Final, so he wasn't too bad himself.

I still miss Mark Bairstow and Couchy.
these are some serious numbers however a guy at work commented that when locket kicked his 100 in a season (last time it got done) that the season was actually 30 games and not 22. if this is correct then i'm tipping a lot of those figures above would've also been kicked in a 30 game season. if you add another 8 games worth of goals on to buddy's tally thats about another 36 goals, and with potentially 2 games to play he would crack the 150.

i'm not 100% sure on how many games the seasons were though so its just a bit of hypothesising and not for a minute am i sugesting that buddy is as good as some of those greats mentioned.

as with many sports it is difficult to compare different era's.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #46
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
My tips are, western bulldogs in a close one, North melbourne to rebound after there thrashing, Adelaide to show collingwood its to up and down at the moment, and geelong to show the saints who is boss!
Good picking there Tuff, your 0 out of 3, I think you might get the last one right though. :

GO HAWKS :
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #47
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
sorry to sound so negative, but who was their competition. it is easy to look good when playing a sub standard team
The Hawks made the Bullys look sub standard. If Buddy and Roughhead ever learn to kick straight, this side will be as good as Geelong. Then you can throw in Brown or Williams to be multiple goal kickers as well as Osbourne and then come the single goal scorers from the midfield. The potential fire power of the Hawks forward line is the best in the comp.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #48
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoon
The Hawks made the Bullys look sub standard.
we make ourselves look sub standard - anyone - and just about everyone has - can beat us nowadays. it will be straight sets for us i fear. i believe the only side that MAY be able to beat geelong is st kilda. we will have to see how they go over the next three weeks
to beat geelong today may not be a good idea, as it will annoy the hell out of geelong and they will win the next 3 by around 300 points in total

and with all due respects buddy will never learn how to kick straight. he doesn't have to though - realistically he is not kicking that inaccurate anyway. there has only been six games this year where he has scored more points than goals - and who cares about that when he already has 100 that count
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #49
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Well i suck!!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #50
prydey
Rob

at the risk of sounding like a sore sport, watching the geelong/saints game i just can't help feel the umpires get a bit star struck as well at times. i don't barrack for any team and geelong are definitely a cut above and they have no control over the umps so i don't blame them but some of the calls that don't happen and then some of the ones that do just leave me a little bemused at times.

to top it off the commentary on ch7 is enough to make me feel dizzy its that sickly sweet.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #51
BZINGA