Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #31
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I'm probably the minority, but I think it's the best NFS since....well Porsche: Unleashed.

I got tired of the Hollywood-ish, and Fast & the Furious theme from recent years. Sure it was fun, but IMO the novelty wore off very quick. In recent years I feel that games like UG, UG2, MW and Carbon concerntrated on cinematics, rather than the racing. Seriously I want to race, and beat people. I don"t about the story. That's what RPGs are for. Not racing games.

It's nice to see proper race tracks, and a proper drag strip (Infineon). Which I think is a first for NFS.
I'll give it a chance. I thought Carbon was brilliant I loved the muscle cars. I miss hte SUV's and hydraulics from Underground 2 and the Falcon and Monaro on Hot Pursuit 2.

Can you buy the Plymouth Roadrunner??? Does it have firetrucks to unlock etc??
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #32
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I picked up ProStreet (PC) last thurs and I really like it. It's more difficult than any previous NFS because it doesn't have say, wall riding, if unlocking firetrucks and high speed scraping around corners is what you're after this is not the game for you.

Currently running a 894hp R34 GT-R and a 500hp odd E49 M3 (won it) as track cars. Original S13 with mostly won parts as drift pig (some drift tracks are absolute garbage though to be honest). Around 530hp 350z drag car which is great for 6-7 second 1/4 and 11sec 1/2 miles but not so great at wheelies (151m isn't too bad a start I suppose), need more practice and probably a car with more power potential. Really should have had the option for 2-3 speed gearboxes for the drag cars, who knows though haven't tried mucking with the gearbox tuning much yet. Currently have the viper (won it) for speed runs until I get a Zonda F which isn't far off.

I think the biggest plus for ProStreet is the variety of races and that almost any car can be competitive and useful. You can't run the same car in all races and you can't recharge your 'naws' by ploughing as fast as you can around a psuedo-track. It's great.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #33
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really like all the later NFS games. From Underground 1 to Carbon.

Playing Most wanted for the 4th time at the moment.

Will have to go and purchase the latest this week.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as you aren't expecting the same old you won't get a nasty surprise.
Old 26-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #35
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Theres absolutely no point to a NFS game anymore. Its always the same thing. You start with crap, you build up your career / cars and finish it. For what? So a year later another one (is this the 46th, or 47th NFS game?) can come out and you do the same thing again and again. It would be ok if you could transfer your data to the next game and maybe get a better car to start off with or something.

Thats why I like games like Gran Turismo. They arnt so concerned with churning out rubbish games one after the other, but rather hundreds of cars and a better set up (licensing etc). I'll never buy another NFS game again.
Old 26-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #36
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Bought this game last week, and its a refresher after the rubbish effort of Carbon! Glad to be back at the tracks and away from the hollywood theme like someone else pointed out. Drifting is rubbish, and the high speed runs arent the best, but the Grip races and the Drags more than make up for it. No it doesnt have as much of a story line, but this is a racing game, and its good fun. I think the people who are complaining about this game dont have steering wheels or maybe just need to take the time to adjust to the style of the game. Congrats EA for making this game refreshing after so many rubbish efforts in the past.
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #37
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Theres absolutely no point to a NFS game anymore. Its always the same thing. You start with crap, you build up your career / cars and finish it. For what? So a year later another one (is this the 46th, or 47th NFS game?) can come out and you do the same thing again and again. It would be ok if you could transfer your data to the next game and maybe get a better car to start off with or something.

Thats why I like games like Gran Turismo. They arnt so concerned with churning out rubbish games one after the other, but rather hundreds of cars and a better set up (licensing etc). I'll never buy another NFS game again.
shame on EA for being concerned with selling software :
Old 26-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #38
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
Bought this game last week, and its a refresher after the rubbish effort of Carbon! Glad to be back at the tracks and away from the hollywood theme like someone else pointed out. Drifting is rubbish, and the high speed runs arent the best, but the Grip races and the Drags more than make up for it. No it doesnt have as much of a story line, but this is a racing game, and its good fun. I think the people who are complaining about this game dont have steering wheels or maybe just need to take the time to adjust to the style of the game. Congrats EA for making this game refreshing after so many rubbish efforts in the past.
Yes, definately do not try and play ProStreet with a keyboard
Old 26-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #39
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
shame on EA for being concerned with selling software :
Keep churning out sh^t and eventually nobody will buy it, so yes they should be very concerned. How many Sims expansions are there now? Crappy sports games that are the same every single year with updated graphics? Perhaps thats why their sales have gone downhill 45% compared to last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many sources
A few days ago, EA released its preliminary financial results for the second quarter ended September 30, 2007 revealing the giant publisher has suffered a net loss for the quarter totaling $195 million (compared with net income of $22 million for the prior year) and that its gross profit was also down 45 percent to $245 million.
But hey, im sure your another know-it-all commenting without doing any research. The only good games they have are the ones they LICENSE.
Old 26-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #40
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

does it have camry's in the game? lol
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #41
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:

i'm so with u man, as i said in my earlier post thank god i didn't waste $80 - $100 on this
Old 26-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #42
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Keep churning out sh^t and eventually nobody will buy it, so yes they should be very concerned. How many Sims expansions are there now? Crappy sports games that are the same every single year with updated graphics? Perhaps thats why their sales have gone downhill 45% compared to last year.

But hey, im sure your another know-it-all commenting without doing any research. The only good games they have are the ones they LICENSE.
A game publisher's financial status can and often does have very little to do with the quality of it's software. There have been many good developers with innovative and fun games that have gone down the toilet.

How many of those that hate the game have played say Colin Mcrae Rally and actually won Group B? :togo:
Old 26-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #43
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
A game publisher's financial status can and often does have very little to do with the quality of it's software
Exactly. They are still full of money and still make sh^t games. Thank you for proving my point.
Old 26-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #44
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
Exactly. They are still full of money and still make sh^t games. Thank you for proving my point.
Thats fine mate, dont buy the game, there are plenty of other people out there who will. Opinions are like as sholes, everyone has one!
Old 27-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #45
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I installed the full PC version yesterday. Running it at full performance settings and it is the best looking NFS game yet. However not much of a storyline, just the same races over and over in different cars - like most modern games the single player bit is overlooked for the online multiplayer component.

The handling of the car is crap - at least initially. It is very hard to control it and you cant adjust the sensitivity of the keyboard - the best way to describe it is like trying to steer a boat. Though that is on a stock car - I just bought the STI, installed tyres, a stage 1 suspension kit and aero kit and the handling does improve a lot but I still find the controls slow to respond to changes of direction. Something just dosn't feel right...maybe it will get better with the fully modded top end cars.

EDIT - Oh and I have all the aids switched off and it is still ridiculously easy to beat the opposition. I mean winning races by over 10 seconds all the time - once again I hope it gets harder as the game progresses.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #46
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Thats fine mate, dont buy the game, there are plenty of other people out there who will. Opinions are like as sholes, everyone has one!
I'm not your mate, and obviously I don't plan to.
Old 27-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #47
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

just realized why don't ea make nfs with all villains from past games in the game in the same game, that would be S**, i would so love that , i t would be a really good chellage going against all of them @ once

Underground
Underground 2
Most Wanted
Carbon

what do you guys think
Old 27-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #48
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
I'm not your mate

why would anyone want to be with a whinging attitude like yours! :

Back to the topic, as i said above you really need a steering wheel for this game, it isnt a controller or keyboard based game, in the grip modes you can induce understeer by steering too much and obviously with your right foot being heavy with a high horsepowered car, you can make the car oversteer. I think all in all the grip mode is the most realistic with still the fun factor.
Drag is the most fun especially when you buy the old historic cars like my chevelle SS. You really need to get passed the first stage of the game before you start enjoying it and understanding how the game works.
Old 27-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #49
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

The best of the recent NFS games is Underground 2 imo.
Most Wanted was a huge step backwards and I didn't even bother to try Carbon.

I was really looking forward to Pro Street after watching the videos as it really looked like
they were heading back in the right direction.
After what you guys have said about it I'll be sure to try the DEMO version first.

A couple of my mates have tried it on PS3 and both said that the framerate
slows down in some areas which means rushed programming really.
Old 27-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #50
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Either they are doing poorly because they make bad games or they are doing well because they make bad games? Make up your mind and try and make some sense :

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I installed the full PC version yesterday. Running it at full performance settings and it is the best looking NFS game yet. However not much of a storyline, just the same races over and over in different cars - like most modern games the single player bit is overlooked for the online multiplayer component.

The handling of the car is crap - at least initially. It is very hard to control it and you cant adjust the sensitivity of the keyboard - the best way to describe it is like trying to steer a boat. Though that is on a stock car - I just bought the STI, installed tyres, a stage 1 suspension kit and aero kit and the handling does improve a lot but I still find the controls slow to respond to changes of direction. Something just dosn't feel right...maybe it will get better with the fully modded top end cars.

EDIT - Oh and I have all the aids switched off and it is still ridiculously easy to beat the opposition. I mean winning races by over 10 seconds all the time - once again I hope it gets harder as the game progresses.
Since when has NFS every really been about the story? I don't understand why anyone would buy a NFS game for the story.

You definately cannot play this game to it's potential with a keyboard or thumbstick for that matter. Later races get MUCH harder on some tracks and others you can wonder why the other cars showed up. Guess that's what the blueprints are for.

High speed runs in the Zonda F

Looks like you'll be able to get the CCX and a few other cars at some stage through EA or a hack.
Old 27-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #51
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
why would anyone want to be with a whinging attitude like yours! :
How dare I state the facts and prove half of you wrong. The problem is half of you OLD guys with no idea about technology or games seem to need to have an opinion on them. I've been playing them since I was 4 years old, and there is barely any title worth mentioning I haven't had a go at. And what you think about that is irrelevant.

If you look at EA's lineup of games that got them rich in the first place, to the games of today you would see how the constant crap they are releasing today is of much lower quality then it used to be. Just because the flashing lights and pretty effects make a game look good it doesn't make it a good game. Much like COD2 --> COD3. What the hell was that? You know why COD4 is successful? Because after the crap COD3 turned out to be they straightened themselves up. Have you seen the new Sim city game? A retarded baby with no hands could finish it - now go back 15 years or so when Sim city 2000 came out and its still a better game. Its challenging, rewarding, fun, interesting yet with the new one you pretty much cannot lose.

There are so few great games being released today, I don't expect you to notice or care since the pretty effects seem to do the job well enough. Try playing Deus ex, Baldurs gate, GT3 and 4, Hitman, Half life 2 etc. Or better yet some EA classics such as Command and Conquer, the Battlefield series, the Simcity series, Freedom fighters etc.

And if you don't care about what im ranting about, then don't reply to my posts or have a f^cking opinion about it when you don't have a clue. ffs.
Old 27-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #52
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Either they are doing poorly because they make bad games or they are doing well because they make bad games? Make up your mind and try and make some sense :
Your an absolute moron. They make good games, then they make money. Now they have the money, they constantly pump out crappy sequel one after the other. Its not rocket science, hopefully you can grasp the concept.

Key point here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enquirer
Games like Need for Speed had dropped 5.8 points and NBA Live shed 13.1 points over the last two years.

While these falling scores had not influenced sales YET, it was only a matter of time before EA gets a bad reputation, he said.

Last edited by Falcon_Phill; 27-11-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #53
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your an absolute moron. They make good games, then they make money. Now they have the money, they constantly pump out crappy sequel one after the other. Its not rocket science, hopefully you can grasp the concept.
Ah so only the first version of their many long running game series were any good and have gone completely down hill from there despite selling millions of copies. Your logic is flawless as always and yes that is my absolute moron, where did you find him?
Old 27-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #54
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Ah so only the first version of their many long running game series were any good and have gone completely down hill from there despite selling millions of copies. Your logic is flawless as always and yes that is my absolute moron, where did you find him?
1. Where did I say it was only their first version? You point that out to me, then I'll continue the argument.

2. In case you didn't read what I said before, sales have gone down which is part of my main point. They are only selling on the previous titles. When was the last ORIGINAL game that came from EA, (not a game is licenses) but from EA, that was good?

Answer those two smart ***.
Old 27-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #55
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

I purchased a USB adapter so I can use a Playstation 2 controller with my PC games,
makes it so much more playable.
Old 27-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #56
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Try playing Deus ex, Baldurs gate, GT3 and 4, Hitman, Half life 2 etc. Or better yet some EA classics such as Command and Conquer, the Battlefield series, the Simcity series, Freedom fighters etc.
RESPECT it:
Old 27-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #57
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
1. Where did I say it was only their first version? You point that out to me, then I'll continue the argument.

2. In case you didn't read what I said before, sales have gone down which is part of my main point. They are only selling on the previous titles. When was the last ORIGINAL game that came from EA, (not a game is licenses) but from EA, that was good?

Answer those two smart ***.
OK so somewhere along the line since the late 80s EA made good games which enabled them to not only continue to develop software but purchase other development companies and make even more software. Game play degraded over the last 15-20 years and subsequently sales are just dropping off. You're full of it. They are a giant publishing and development company and will make some good and some bad games like everyone else.

When was the last original game released, period?

What any of this has to do with ProStreet besides your particular opinion of the game and it's creators I really don't know. You don't like ProStreet, we get it. You don't like EA, we get it. I hate SOE, I understand I really do.
Old 27-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #58
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Thats funny. You fight my points till you cant anymore, then you ask what it has to do with ProStreet?

Interesting.
Old 27-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #59
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the game and am playing through it offering what I have experienced with it and my opinion on the game. Where as you've chucked a hissy fit about EA only making crap sequels, NFS games aren't worth anything anymore and games were all much better when you were a little tacker.
Old 27-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #60
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

No I made a rant, and you chose to oppose it which started all this. But yes, you pretty much hit the nail right on the head with that last sentence.

Its not my fault they make sh^t games these days, so what else can I do but complain as they buy out every single small decent game making company and hold a monopoly over sports games licenses.