Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Default Re: Car insurance at motorsport event

Shannons will cover you if you pay extra to have a racing extension (I believe its 35+ year old cars, unless they have changed the rules) but its only for club sponsored events ...

Best thing you could do would be to speak to a broker ...

You might find insurance via a broker through someone like Lloyd's is actually a lot more reasonable than you thought.

And trust me ... as soon as they see a car that looks likely to have been on the track, they will definitely investigate a claim for a single vehicle accident where the car is written off.
Old 21-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

As a follow-up ... Ryno Insurance offer a Racing Extension on their policies, but not sure what the criteria are. Maybe give them a call.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #33
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
If your into Motor Racing (in any form) you must have a CAMS license,
No you don't. CAMS are one of the licencing bodies, not the only licencing body.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons provide race cover. I have it on my Formula Ford. $1,000 excess, $20,000 cover. Annual premium including race cover, and also windscreen cover??, $350 pa.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
No you don't. CAMS are one of the licencing bodies, not the only licencing body.
Hmm, they used to be the only kid on the block. Who else is there now.

That's why we always had to behave on public roads, if you lost your civvie license you automatically lost the CAMS one as well.
Old 21-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #36
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ANDRA are a governing body.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #37
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
Shannons will cover you if you pay extra to have a racing extension (I believe its 35+ year old cars, unless they have changed the rules) but its only for club sponsored events ...

Best thing you could do would be to speak to a broker ...

You might find insurance via a broker through someone like Lloyd's is actually a lot more reasonable than you thought.

And trust me ... as soon as they see a car that looks likely to have been on the track, they will definitely investigate a claim for a single vehicle accident where the car is written off.
Talked to Shannons. Details are earlier in the thread.

And yeah, wouldn't like to be planning on a fraudulent claim. Sounds stressful!
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
ANDRA are a governing body.
ANDRA, Go Karts and Speedway are all under CAMS.
Old 21-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
Shannons provide race cover. I have it on my Formula Ford. $1,000 excess, $20,000 cover. Annual premium including race cover, and also windscreen cover??, $350 pa.
So does that cover accidents whilst racing? Or just storage, transport, at home, around the track etc?

Prices seem quite reasonable.

I talked to Shannons, told them what I had (GT335) and what I wanted to do and they said they couldn't help
Old 21-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to go to Lakeside tomorrow morning and watch. Might ask some of the guys participating what they do.

Don't want to harsh peoples buzz if they are prepared to risk it without insurance, but would really like to know what others are doing
Old 21-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
As a follow-up ... Ryno Insurance offer a Racing Extension on their policies, but not sure what the criteria are. Maybe give them a call.
These guys are underwritten by Lloyds of London (reading their website).

Might give them a call in business hours
Old 21-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #42
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
So does that cover accidents whilst racing? Or just storage, transport, at home, around the track etc?

Prices seem quite reasonable.

I talked to Shannons, told them what I had (GT335) and what I wanted to do and they said they couldn't help
Sure does. Standard cover is just fire, theft and damage. Race cover is an extension.

Shannons is probably the worst insurance marketer in Australia. They show up at most race events, and tell people they dont give race cover when they do. At least two of my racing buddies have successfully claimed after racing incidents.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #43
Scott

Quote:
http://australianautosportalliance.com/aasa/
AASA provide licencing for everyone that is over CAMS.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #44
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That's why we always had to behave on public roads, if you lost your civvie license you automatically lost the CAMS one as well.
AASA (australian auto sport alliance) are another.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #45
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
Sure does. Standard cover is just fire, theft and damage. Race cover is an extension.

Shannons is probably the worst insurance marketer in Australia. They show up at most race events, and tell people they dont give race cover when they do. At least two of my racing buddies have successfully claimed after racing incidents.
True? Anyone with a street registered car?

Wonder if the salesguys are told not to promote it as a feature even if they have it.

More likely the guy I got on the phone didn't know what he was talking about. He seemed pretty switched on though and knew his cars. Might try and phone back and get transfered out of sales to another department/a supervisor

Thanks for the post
Old 21-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #46
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/12/05/...l-sponsorship/

"Affinity Motorsport Insurance provides insurance for race vehicles – on and off the track. It covers testing days, personal accident insurance for the drivers and also transit risk for the cars.

McConville says that he will use his role to educate all motor racing drivers on the importance of insurance.

“Drivers don’t really understand the need for insurance,” McConville said.

“For me, I race cars, but I also do 40-odd drive days. I see my role with Affinity to educate other drivers in any category in Australia about the importance of insurance.

“Affinity now has a package that can suit any level of race drivers in any category.”"

Disclaimer: Please read the fine print. (For MrEL)
Old 21-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #47
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

The Tilleys Racing team in the TCM have not come across an insurance company to cover their cars on the track. Awesome if they did. Only insured off the track (in transport and in the work shops).
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post