Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 22-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gough Whitlam dead - Australian history

Absolutely hated the man as a PM, he nearly ruined the joint, high unemployment, needed to be sacked.
However, as a public speaker the man had no equal...magnificent voice, captivating speaker. He could have been reading out an instruction manual for a toaster and the audience would have hung on every word. A great orator.
RIP.

Bit more history: People also forget that when despite the massive outcry over the sacking of Labor, that at the following election shortly after Malcolm Fraser was elected with an overwhelming landslide victory...so the "outraged" public actually supported the removal of Labor.
Old 22-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #32
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many elected governments, both State and Federal, could potentially get voted out if an election was held at the right time during their tenure

Fraser was cunning enough to effectively set up an election at such a time with the cooperation of Kerr
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #33
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
He lived longer than 99 percent of the contributors of this thread will...
And I'd be happy to help shorten a few more years off some in here as well.......
Old 22-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #34
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was 20 in 1969 and my father was worried about conscription as he had been on the Kokoda track in WW2.
I got the letter telling me that the marbles had come up with 24th September and 26th September, my DOB was 25th September. Boy, was he relieved when conscription was abolished.
Vietnam was a pointless exercise [ apart from those in the arms trade ] and if a PM did nothing else except keep us out of these overseas then they're to be commended.
The French weren't too happy with Gough either, he and his NZ counterpart made lots of noise about the nuclear testing in the Pacific.
At the end of the day though they're all politicians, do some good stuff and some not so good.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If anyone is interested this is a pretty good article to explain the the good and bad he did.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...21-11973q.html
Old 22-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #36
Focusfan

If some current pollies had the balls he had then there would be a lot more constructive processes going on instead of just
sitting around arguing with each other over minor issues.
RIP Gough, your style is and will be missed.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
98 is a good run, I was born many years later and I didn't exist back in the 1970s (my parents did though).

To me I can't understand why he is hated? Medicare, equal pay for women, no university fees?

Whats there not to like about that?

I might not have existed back in the 1970s but I have a Medicare card in my wallet.
Well maybe this may give you some idea.

We Queenslanders had free Hospital that was way ahead of that filthy backward Medicare.

TV and headline history are not worth jack to having lived it all.

If you worked for yourself his mob tried to destroy you.
Comrades he called his mob and anyone other was seen as the enemy, so it made the divide so wide that common sense went out the window in the struggle of the far left and far right wings that it became a moronic little war going on.

If one was to try to straddle both sides of the fence ? this is the middle ground people looking forward to a healthy nations interest ? you were attacked on both sides full on, because it was not in the lib or ALP favour to nurture such a thing.

If you worked for a wage he just showered you with gifts but sadly it had to be payed for ? not by him that's for sure.

The Libs were typical backward greed driven self centerd stuck up mob that they created a radical leader like Gough.

It's all about power and trying to be fooling the people, like dangling the carrot to cattle and nothing has changed with it all today as you still hear idiots say it's us verses them, what dimwit narrow minded bogans stuck in there own little world of blind hate.
Old 22-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #38
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Well maybe this may give you some idea.

We Queenslanders had free Hospital that was way ahead of that filthy backward Medicare.
and you had Joh

it was Medibank that Gough introduced. It became Medicare later

What do you think is wrong with a universal health scheme?
Old 22-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #39
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Having lived through that era, there was one thing you could say for Whitlam and that is he couldn't be ignored. He was probably one of the last great debaters (in the Menzies style) and there is no doubt he left his mark on the Australian landscape.

It's more than most of us will ever do.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 22-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #40
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

It's more than most of us will ever do.

Russ
Hear, hear!
Old 22-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #41
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
He lived longer than 99 percent of the contributors of this thread will...
Quality not quantity.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 22-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Quality not quantity.
is severely lacking in a lot of posts.
Old 22-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #43
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Quality not quantity.
Are you and "Cheap" the same person ?
Old 22-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #44
GT2

Quote:
98 is a good run, I was born many years later and I didn't exist back in the 1970s (my parents did though).

To me I can't understand why he is hated? Medicare, equal pay for women, no university fees?

I might not have existed back in the 1970s but I have a Medicare card in my wallet.
I think you will find that both these were somewhat introduced to a certain extent buy the previous government.
The majority of medical expenses were tax deductible and university scholarships were readily available.
Old 22-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #45
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
I just thought I may share my small part of history with you to.
I remember how bad it was with Aussie business's going down the drain everywhere is what I seen, we were in a state of shock. seeing a santa claws run loose with the payment of it all down the track left to us to foot the bill.

Sure he had some good idea's but as some were borrowed from other nations that it all had failed badly with that rot before.

The average Aussie did not have the brains to know what it was he was up to as they thought it was Christmas.

It was the start of the cancer in our nations history of two extreme left and right wing idiot madness of the ALP and Libs. both are Vampires !
Castellan....can NOT absolve you any longer!!...... you Sir, are on drugs, or you simply wish to be a tit!! PS....I'm 55...I was there!!
Old 22-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #46
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

To give you an answer would require talking politics, going by some hostile posts here & requests to keep politics out you won't get your answer here.

RIP Gough, 98 is a good innings.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #47
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
and you had Joh

it was Medibank that Gough introduced. It became Medicare later

What do you think is wrong with a universal health scheme?
More to the point, what was wrong with the one we had hear in QLD is what I am saying, we were way ahead of the rest of Australia by far and we did not need Medibank. As it was fee hear anyway.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #48
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/national/goug...-1227113256540
Closed Thread