Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #31
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura01
OR the other option is if i do this jaycar mod am i right in saying i will need an edit to adjust the shift points again ???
Yeah, thats correct. Lets take the example of going from 3.45's to 3.91's...

Firstly, 3.91 is 113% of 3.45....i.e. 3.91 is 13% bigger than 3.45.

So our options are;

1. do nothing
shift points are OK, speed limiter is OK, speedo is out by 13%
2. add a corrector between VSS and dash
shift points are at 13% higher (rpm), speed limiter is 13% higher, speedo is OK
3. add a corrector between VSS and dash, and another corrector between dash and EEC
shift points are OK, speed limiter is OK, speedo is OK
4. add a corrector between VSS and dash, and use the "edit" to change the value for the diff ratio in the EEC
To put this into context, the factory would have changed the VSS signal (by changing the gear/cog that drives the VSS), and entered the correct diff ratio value into the EEC. However, plastic cogs dont exist for diff ratios as high as 3.91:1 so we have to use an electronic speedo corrector, like the Jaycar unit, to achieve the same thing.

BA/BF owners are lucky, their EEC uses the signal from the ABS sensors on the wheels to determine the relationship between car speed, engine rpm and diff ratio....when they change diff ratios, the EEC can instantly work it out and adjust its vehicle speed calculations accordingly...they dont have to do a thing

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.

Last edited by xr8ute; 23-08-2006 at 02:33 PM. Reason: bloody formatting!!!!
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #32
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i think i might get mine fixed with a different gear in the transmition. i have changed this before in my old EA, i think it was just a little plastic gear that goes on the side of the trans somewhere.
I dont believe there is a plastic gear readily available that will adjust the signal enough to account for 3.73 diff gears.

Best you use two Jaycar correctors, one for the dash and on for the EEC.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #33
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Yeah, thats correct. Lets take the example of going from 3.45's to 3.91's...

Firstly, 3.91 is 113% of 3.45....i.e. 3.91 is 13% bigger than 3.45.

So our options are;

1. do nothing
shift points are OK, speed limiter is OK, speedo is out by 13%

2. add a corrector between VSS and dash
shift points are at 13% higher (rpm), speed limiter is 13% higher, speedo is OK

3. add a corrector between VSS and dash, and another corrector between dash and EEC

4. add a corrector between VSS and dash, and use the "edit" to change the value for the diff ratio in the EEC

To put this into context, the factory would have changed the VSS signal (by changing the gear/cog that drives the VSS), and entered the correct diff ratio value into the EEC. However, plastic cogs dont exist for diff ratios as high as 3.91:1 so we have to use an electronic speedo corrector, like the Jaycar unit, to achieve the same thing.

BA/BF owners are lucky, their EEC uses the signal from the ABS sensors on the wheels to determine the relationship between car speed, engine rpm and diff ratio....when they change diff ratios, the EEC can instantly work it out and adjust its vehicle speed calculations accordingly...they dont have to do a thing
Perfect and all correct. easy as 1-2-3-4! only 1 small extra consideration is you may want to purchase a two piece tailshaft that will cope with the new higher rotational forces if you want to go faster then the tailshaft can cope.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #34
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Lol this is getting very technical but a good learning curve, i only need the one corrector on mine because my car pulls along to about 6300rpm so it makes mine better to drive whilst just on D.

Xr8ute: i had to correct mine 14% to get it correct which is just with a gps navigation system so its pretty close.

Shaun.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #35
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
can ya make it, so your speedo reads double? like 200 when you are really doing 100? cause that would be awesome!
:
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #36
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Mine works a treat too. Only problem with the six the ECU rev limit stops the fun at 5750 no matter what the speedo is saying.

So i have adjusted my speedo to 100% accurate on the GPS but now at full throttle it stops at the rev limiter before it gets to the gear change point.

So I can live with it being a few k fast and getting nice full throttle chages at just under the limiter.

Or i buy another one to intecept the ecu speedo signal.
Old 17-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #37
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

By the way crazy fun adjusting it all up.

Just ran down the freeway on a quiet night on cruise control 110Kmh and with then adjust the speedo corrector and watch the difference between the speedo and GPS speed.

turn the pot for another 10% slower speedo and bingo the cruise kicks in an accelerates up for you?

It was weird. but it all works nicely.
Old 17-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #38
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Going to have to get me one of these. Since the 4.11's went in its a bugger to constantly calculate speed differences.

Fortunatly the edit can correct my gear changes for me once I have it sorted.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #39
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Going to have to get me one of these. Since the 4.11's went in its a bugger to constantly calculate speed differences.

I got caught speeding last night doing 55 in a 60 zone according to my speedo and the flashy camera :( I will also be buying one of these this week.
Old 17-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #40
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:

Awesome mate , when did you put the 4.11's in , is new news to me , give a nice launch now ?

I had them in my XE and was very happy with the ratio , whats ya combo matchup like now with the 4.11's , stall convertor with the btr , and all ya other goodies ????? should be throwing you back in the seat now on takeoff ?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #41
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Awesome mate , when did you put the 4.11's in , is new news to me , give a nice launch now ?

I had them in my XE and was very happy with the ratio , whats ya combo matchup like now with the 4.11's , stall convertor with the btr , and all ya other goodies ????? should be throwing you back in the seat now on takeoff ?
They went in a few weeks ago now. I guess 1.9 second 60" times into a bugger of a headwind says yes, the launch is now good.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #42
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
They went in a few weeks ago now. I guess 1.9 second 60" times into a bugger of a headwind says yes, the launch is now good.
Excellent , your makin me jelous ( im saving my pennys for a super mod soon ) :ticking: lol .

I haven't shown my face on the track yet , but when i do , i want to leave a memorable impression ! . ;)

Lots of goodies on my list , all = $$$$$$$ ..lol, but i think they're gonna be late x-mass presents to myself ..hehehe , early start of next year i should be starting some serious engine mods ... look out ! ..lol ;) , cheers .

Old 17-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #43
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:

With 411 ZOOM gears you will certainly need a correcter all right.

You could then get another edit with new change points but for the price of another converter you can do crazy things like spped up the ecu signal so it changes up early like a valet mode and the speed limier comes in at 100k. (good for me with learner p plate kids) or slow it down so it hangs on to gears and revs to the limiter. And you can choose for youself on the fly while driving it if you wanted.
Old 17-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #44
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Hmm the 1.9's are good. i just wish I could get out of the 2.3's but power isn't the way let me tell you.

Its torque!

And the only way to get more of that is not from the motor but gearing or hi stall converter or BOTH as you have done.

I am thinking I MUST get that Hi stall and see what i am missing. 411 gears sounds a bit too radical for me for every day so i will stick with 3.45 for the moment.
Old 17-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #45
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I need to get one of these correctors for mine because with the 18's on it it shows up at about 10% out (higher). Would an auto elec know how to install one as I am absolutely hopeless with a soldering iron, not to mention anything electrical.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #46
Tri Power 289
Back in the Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i think i might get mine fixed with a different gear in the transmition. i have changed this before in my old EA, i think it was just a little plastic gear that goes on the side of the trans somewhere.
You can do the same for an AU although the best I could do going from a 3:45 to 3:9 was to change the gear from grey 22 teeth to black 23 teeth which is as high as they go from factory.
They only cost about $10 from Ford.
Try this link for a speedo gear calculator which was sent to me by XR8ute a while ago.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=30

According to my GPS, I'm still out by about 9% (The calculator says it should be about 7%) but its better than the 16% I was out before.
You will need to know what coloured gear you have already but its only a 5-10 min job to pull it out far enough to see the colour. The calculator tells you how many teeth it will have and showed me I would only be out 2% with 3:73 gears.

Have a play with it, its very interesting.

I might have a look at the Jaycar corrector though because, don't forget the other drawback is your odometer is clocking up K's faster than you're actually doing them!!
70 Mustang Mach1 351 4V/Shaker Auto

Previous forum rides:
XH Falcon Ute 4.0 Auto
BF XR8 5.4 Manual
'88 60 Series Landcruiser Turbo Diesel.
Komatsu 830E Haul Pac- 2500hp, 165tonnes.
AUIII XR6 HP: Prepared by Aussie Car Enhancements & Custom Tuned by Blue Power to a record setting 14.22@96mph.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V :Unfinished business.
Tri Power 289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #47
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

Does this work on EF/EL 6s and 8s or is it for AUs and above?
Old 17-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #48
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

LOWEFGLi: Does this work on EF/EL 6s and 8s or is it for AUs and above?

Nah mate it works on all cars that have a electronic speedo sender, my uncle has a EL and he also has one of these units fitted and works just like it should, so i would guess it would work on every E-serise car and even some X series cars. You wont be dissapointed tho its money well spent. Its a pain in the when you go past a speed cam and wonder was i doing the right limit or was i over.

Shaun.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #49
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR8220
I need to get one of these correctors for mine because with the 18's on it it shows up at about 10% out (higher). Would an auto elec know how to install one as I am absolutely hopeless with a soldering iron, not to mention anything electrical.
Probably an auto elec would be able to do it. Not a mechanic for sure but any competent electrical trades guy should have no trouble. I am an electronics technician and it was too easy really I think anyone with time and patience could build the kit and fit and adjust it..
Old 18-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #50
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEFGLi
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

Does this work on EF/EL 6s and 8s or is it for AUs and above?
Yes same difference electronic speedo is all the same from a signal intercept point of view.
Old 18-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #51
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

For the not so electrical minded out there , jaycar also sell a yearly auto-elec book which contains all their products ( not their normal cataloge ! , this is a propper thick magazine/book ). It contains all the Auto modules sold in their shop , usually containing better construction and installation instructions than what actually comes with the kits. The idea of the book is so anyone with pretty much no idea can still make and install their auto electical kits . cheers.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #52
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Posted up my speedo corrector and wiring intercepts in my gallery. it gives you a quick idea where to cut into the wiring and what the board should look like.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #53
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Default Re: Jaycar Speedo corrector: Works a treat.

Sorry to dredge up this hitoric thread, but I'm after one of these correctors, and Jaycar don't appear to stock them anymore...(Have searched on a couple of different P/Ns and "speedo corrector" etc...Does anyone know where I can find one of these, or does anyone have one lying around they never used/don't need?

TIA.

Michael
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #54
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Jaycar Speedo corrector: Works a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biased99 View Post
Sorry to dredge up this hitoric thread, but I'm after one of these correctors, and Jaycar don't appear to stock them anymore...(Have searched on a couple of different P/Ns and "speedo corrector" etc...Does anyone know where I can find one of these, or does anyone have one lying around they never used/don't need?

TIA.

Michael
Send a PM to JC. that is, send a personal message to "JC". He's in Canberra too. He might be able to help you out.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post