Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #31
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Re: iRacing Motorsport Simulations

I bought the buy 1 month, get 2 free to give it a try. Never looked back.

I've since bought about 15 tracks and 5 cars, so I'm priced in for another subscription. :P

Personally, I'm finding it brilliant. Tracks are dead on accurate, plenty of speculation about the cars and tyre model but for me it conveys enough feel to believe you're driving a realistic car.

I gained a new respect for the V8 Supercar drivers (even though I don't spend much time watching the sport) and Shane Van Gisbergen can often be found racing on league nights. I still feel like I'm skating on ice in it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Did a race against Van Giz in the Mazdas. Jeez he was quick. No one could keep up.

For some reason I am racing ovals now, the truck series. Great fun!
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I wanted to work towards the Ovals but bought so many road tracks I'll stick with road for now.

I'll crank out a couple of hundred more incident free laps in the Legend so I'll at least get my D licence.
Old 28-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #34
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Did a race against Van Giz in the Mazdas. Jeez he was quick. No one could keep up.

I know what you mean about the ovals, racing the legends at lanier, the last two races i have been going great then someone rams into me and damages my car

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Someone else impressed by Giz's ability and racecraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T39lwo1Nw28

He sure is fast.
Old 28-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #36
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

just trying to find out some more info on this ...do you pay a monthly subsrciption or is it a 1 off ...how much $ per month etc
i played a fair bit of V8SC and have only just sort of seen this
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip

Last edited by comagutsa; 28-08-2011 at 07:54 PM.
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #37
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only paid for a month so fair just to see what its like. loving it so far just won my first race after two podiums.

You have to pay for additional cars and tracks

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Your commitment determines the price. It is a monthly sub, but if you sub for more than 1 month, the price goes down. Right now, buy 1 month get 2 free to check it out. That's ~$12.

If you've played a fair bit of V8SC, you're played a fair bit of unrealistic and unmetered racing. The beauty of iRacing is that you're held accountable for incidents, so it's in your best interest to race clean. I also played V8SC which I was very capable at the time. iRacing V8's, I'm nowhere near competitive.
Old 30-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #39
B-RAD

ive been using it for a month now, will never go back, even gave away my ps3.
Only annoyance, many people don't seem to use the b-pillar rule. More reason to not be caught i guess-
Old 30-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Racing trucks on the ovals at the moment, whoooo boy they are a handful, hand some awesome races, packs of 8-12 cars covered by .5 of a second! My arms hurt from gripping the wheel so hard! Awesome. Gran turismo ain't got nothing on this!
Old 30-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #41
FgNewbie
Australia

I'm not into games but this looks very tempting.

What's a good steering wheel / controller?

ta
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #42
g220ba
FGX XR8

I've been giving this game a good go for the last month or so and absolutlellove it. Unfortunetly i've come across a few people that are only playing to screw other people around and crash into you.

Also i'm finding it a bit disappointing that whilst lapping other drivers they fell the need to fight to the bitter end and potentially ruin the race, It's pretty easy to understand if the vehicle passing you is for position or not.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #43
FgNewbie
Australia

A friend tried it tonight after I pushed him to give it a go. He said he couldn't get out of the paddock, all he saw was greenery. I have no idea what he was talking about.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #44
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by g220ba
I've been giving this game a good go for the last month or so and absolutlellove it. Unfortunetly i've come across a few people that are only playing to screw other people around and crash into you.

Also i'm finding it a bit disappointing that whilst lapping other drivers they fell the need to fight to the bitter end and potentially ruin the race, It's pretty easy to understand if the vehicle passing you is for position or not.
There's a reporting system for clowns like that. Save a replay and submit it. They'll be dealt with.

I'm racing Mustangs and the MX5/Jetta series at the moment and find most drivers to be clean and courteous after the first lap.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #45
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO

I can't find it, how do I get to drive a truck on iracing? ta
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #46
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
I can't find it, how do I get to drive a truck on iracing? ta
You have to qualify for a C licence in Oval before you can drive trucks - otherwise you can only practice. Click under cars on the bar, it's the Silverado.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #47
FgNewbie
Australia

thanks, I was hoping it was a real truck
Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #48
g220ba
FGX XR8

Well after having great fun for the last few weeks and progressing nicely i had just had one of the worst experiences i could imagine.

I was racing the legends cup on lanier speedway when 2 drivers took it upon themselves to destroy everybodys race. i have since reported them and it is being looked into.

A little on the incident: we were forming for the start, i was starting last as everyone bar me had qualified, when the car in front of me veered across the track taking the driver to my left out of formation. This driver then took it upon himself to ram me off the track in retaliation for the other drivers idiocy. Whilst in the pits repairing the car (race over anyway) he then attempted to ram me again?

I managed to string a few laps together before both drivers were crashing into everyone they could and stopping on the racing line. Again i crashed out and was in the pits waiting for repair when again i was rammed in the pits?

The 2 drivers involved both have SR of around 0.5 on ovals so their intentions have become clear to me. For those interested their names are Stan Rogers and William Harding and you should steer clear of any race they're involved in.

Again i have reported this incident and currently awaiting iracing to make a ruling but it has ruined my SR.

That'll be my rant for the moment.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #49
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I've seen that occur on a couple of occasions. As they say, the goal of rookie racing is to get out of rookie racing.

I'm C 3.57 on my road but R 2.83 on my oval. I plan to just do TT's and grind it out to get my D oval.

Good luck with the report.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #50
kiero_84
Starter Motor

sounds awesome!
kiero_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #51
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i had my usual sunday night Nascar race with a great bunch of guys that i have been racing with for the last 2 years. we are following the Nascar season racing the tracks that are currently under way. Tooth and nail all the way, strategy, tyre conservation, avoiding incidents and getting into some along the way. Just another great night really.

There is also a wednesday night league i am participating in with another crew, we are racing the newly released HQ racing mod!?!
This crew should be releasing a V8 BrUtes mod, a direct sim of the current real life support category, in the near future, cant wait for that 1!

And i have had a few rounds of a current v8 supercar league that kind of clashes with my nascar season unfortunately.

Had a couple of successful seasons racing xw and xy gthos against xu1s, chargers, monaros when i first started out. Also a crazy couple of seasons of 2006 mini cup madness, finished 1st in 1 of those champs.

Use to get on a server that regulary has a good turn out racing V8 supercars every other night, it still attracts a good attendence today.

My mod folder contains the above + an assortment of historic tintops from around the world, GT1, GT2, Formula 1s from the 60s, 70s, 80s, Indycars, group b rally cars, + many many many , more!

Oh. I don't use iwasting (iracing) either.
Cost me $55 back in 09 and i havent payed a brass razoo for an upgrade since!

Just sayin...
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #52
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I have rFactor too with about 40GB of tracks and mods but to me it just doesn't compare to the feel I get from iRacing, let alone the fact that I can jump on at any time of the day and race others from around the world on tracks that are as close to as real as you can get. I'm often on call at work at nights so league racing isn't really an option for me.

Looking forward to rFactor2 but it'll likely only be for AI racing.
Old 13-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #53
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Cool story, but this is about iRacing, not rfactor. I found rfactor is ok but nowhere near iracing.

Still racing the Silverado, bagged a few wins along the way, B class oval license. Going to try v8sc later in the year.
Old 14-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #54
g220ba
FGX XR8

Well i'm a bit disappointed in the response i recieved:

Dear Colin,

After doing some investigating we've found the driver you are protesting is very new to sim-racing. We do understand your frustration over this incident, but the incident did not seem to be intentional or malicious. While driving in the rookie division all members will run across drivers who have no or little experience and cause unusual accidents. Drivers who have more experience will be able to advance past the rookie series very quickly. Over the course of a few races drivers ratings will come into play and you will be more likely to be racing drivers that are better matched to your skills. While racing in the rookie series your ratings and license level can be quickly recovered with a few decent races. We do appreciate the time you took to file this protest and your understanding in this matter.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Enjoy your racing,

Nim Cross

Since when was being new to racing an excuse to deliberately drive into someone?
When did it become an excuse to perform a u turn in front of fast moving cars?
When did it become an excuse to attempt to ram somebody in the pits, then drive the wrong way in pit lane and nearly ram another driver?

Sorry if it seems i'm going on a bit but it's left a bitter taste in my mouth about the review process and parts of the game.
Old 14-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #55
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Indeed. Somewhat disappointing if he was intentionally wrecking.

Oh well, do your best to get out of Rookie and you should be good. I've just got to grind about another 100 laps in TT's to be eligible for my Oval D.
Old 14-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #56
g220ba
FGX XR8

Well now i'm getting really annoyed, i came across one of the idiots in the previous incident. Stan Rogers again crashed into a car on the formation lap which resulted in a crash on lap 1 taking out the whole field bar 1 car.

The race went well from there for about 15 laps until i came across him, i was about 6 laps up on him and holding my line through a corner when he turned down to attempt a block. I clipped his left rear pushing him into the inside wall, he decided it would be a good idea to turn sharp right and accelerate into my line and push me straight into the outside wall causing a massive crash which was to take 6 mins to repair.

Unfortunetly i cracked it and didn't save a replay so have no possible action to take. I just can't believe how stupid some people can be. So basically my SR has gone from 2.53 to 2.31 in 2 races due to others stupidity. I'm a little ****ed off right now.
Old 16-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #57
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

It happens mate, I had a bonehead ram me after a truck race because he couldn't handle being beaten by an Aussie!?? You don't have to guess which part of the world he was from..

Legends are a waste of time for trying to gain SR. The tracks are tiny and people can't drive. Once you hit D class on ovals race the trucks, you can pick up .2 and even .25 a race if you race clean.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #58
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Boston especially. You at least have half a chance at Lanier being the track is so wide and you have some track to avoid a spin.

Down to about 80 laps to grind before I'm eligible for my D's. I'll probably try and fast track my D's so I can get a taste of the Silverado.

I did a Carburetor Cup race at Daytona with an Impala. I had no idea how bumpy Daytona was!
Old 17-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #59
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Cool Re: iRacing Motorsport Simulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Boston especially. You at least have half a chance at Lanier being the track is so wide and you have some track to avoid a spin.

Down to about 80 laps to grind before I'm eligible for my D's. I'll probably try and fast track my D's so I can get a taste of the Silverado.

I did a Carburetor Cup race at Daytona with an Impala. I had no idea how bumpy Daytona was!
Wait till you run Iowa in the Silverado! The entry to T1 has a shocking bump down low and another mid corner. So realistic! That's why everyone takes the high line through T1.

I am really enjoying the truck series, up to a B 4.56 license due to me thrashing it. Trying to get my road above D 4.0 so I can try V8sc.

Have you tried the Impala SS on a road course? Wow.. Bad handling through the corners but so fast on the straights.

Oh and Road America is awesome in the V8sc
Old 17-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #60
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Road seems to be easier to up your licence due to the fact there are many more corners per race. I was getting +.10's consistently with 0 incident races.

Haven't got Iowa yet but have taken the Impala out to the Glen. Muscling it around the corner is pretty tough, makes you appreciate the V8SC's there!

I've raced the Mustangs and last week the MX5 at Road America but not the V8SC's. Might wait for next season to race them and get my feet wet just in practice with the SC's.