Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #31
kronik_wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Umm, believe it or not, all cars you buy are going to have the same question marks on them in terms of servicing and "flognessed" ( I made that one).
It doesnt matter if your buying an XR6t from an car yard or a Suzuki swift from the Auctions, they are all questionable on there history. Thats why you check them out before you buy them. Its called research.
Exactly what i was trying to get across before. Just be sure to check all things you can, and if possible take someone from the mechanic industry who may also be of assistance. good luck with choosing a car.
kronik_wake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

here's one from left field. friends of parents just bought one to tow their large van.

kia sorento 2.5 diesel. i'm led to believe the engine is a vw engine. 392Nm from 2000 - 4500 rpm. 9.4L/100km (factory claim). 2800kg towing.

not my cup of tea but there are a lot of people out there who don't buy for the badge.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #33
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty

4800 Patrol is a ball tearer, brilliant for towing, but drink lots. Then if you get one on gas you end up with all the other dramas that gas brings.
LPG on mine was F A N T A S T I C

They are REALLY good tow vehicles

Not to be confused with the 4500 ancient rubbish.

By far ther pick up to $25k. You should get a 2006 or 07 for about $22k and then do the LPG. Mine was the old fashioned system but was unreal. SAME power as 98 pump gas.

If you need diesel for remopte areas I would think the Pajero TD is the go for the $$$

The 100 series is great but overpriced. By about $15k to $20k for similar year/k's to 4800 Patrol.

Last edited by Walt Kowalski; 23-09-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #34
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Depends on price etc??
Nissan and Toyota 4wd 6 cyl diesels go forever...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #35
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Depends on price etc??
Nissan and Toyota 4wd 6 cyl diesels go forever...
And they take forever to get their.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #36
The Monty
Just slidin'

Who gives a crap about how fast they are? Its not like they are doing Paris-Dakar towing a caravan. Thanks everyone who have been trying to help.
Old 24-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #37
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Who gives a crap about how fast they are?
Me!!!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #38
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
And they take forever to get their.
Not the turbo versions!!!
Yea I missed the T before diesel.. 1000% better..than N/A..
Plus the question was about a tow vehicle..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #39
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Any TD 4wd at the auctions will be an ex-rental, fleet, government etc vehicle and will be well and truly flogged out.
Also for $20k you arnt going to get a Patrol with the 3.0L Common rail as they didnt come out until late '07.
The 3.0 liter Diesal in the Patrol has been around since 99-2000 and have been burning holes in Cyl 4 ever since Cause a bloke i used to know brought a 01 3.0 Diesel Patrol with a blown engine and dropped in a 397Ci Chev Turbo Diesel. :
Old 25-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #40
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
The 3.0 liter Diesal in the Patrol has been around since 99-2000 and have been burning holes in Cyl 4 ever since Cause a bloke i used to know brought a 01 3.0 Diesel Patrol with a blown engine and dropped in a 397Ci Chev Turbo Diesel. :
Prior to late '07 they weren't common rail though.
The common rails ones go alot better than the earlier ones, but Nissan has never updated power figures.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #41
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Also wouldnt go near a Land Rover unless they want to spend their retirement going from one mechanic to another across the country.
Not wrong there

I can vouch for the Pajeros. Work on these things everyday. As said by someone above they are very car-like so are easy to live with. TD engine is fairly strong and reliable.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #42
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Not wrong there

I can vouch for the Pajeros. Work on these things everyday. As said by someone above they are very car-like so are easy to live with. TD engine is fairly strong and reliable.
Friends drive a new TD Pajero from geelong to willowbank regularly towing their race car and all their gear. Even dragging all that they consistently return an average between 11.5 and 12L per 100km. Always been reliable, and they're a bargain second hand. I'd hate to buy a new one because they depreciate at an insane rate, but bang for buck it means you get a ripper deal on one a few years old.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #43
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
My vote is for the 79 series cruiser. Even tougher than the 100 series will will do anything you ask of it all day every day. Just watch out for the ex mining vehicles, but there are some that have been taken care of.

Having said that there's some excellent options given in this thread, but spend the extra and get the 100 series but dont get the non-turbo 4.2 diesel they're a slug.
Try finding a factory turbo diesel one with less than 150,000km for less than 40k. Brilliant ute, but they sell for a premium over just about anything else. I looked for ages but resigned myself to the fact if i'm gonna pay 45k for a second hand ute i'll wait 2 years until i can get a V8 TD Cruiser.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #44
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veefore
Pajero turbo diesel.
My parents went through the list a couple of years ago looking for something to tow their 27 footer. The Territory (my choice) was unsuitable, the Landcruiser was too expensive and the Nissan was too thirsty. In the end, the Pajero was cheaper, more car-like to drive which made it great for the long hauls but was still capable of going anywhere my dad wanted to take it (he's an old bush-basher from way back). The Paj has now been around australia once and done the half-lap taking in Alice and Coober Pedy as well as numerous Perth-Broome and Perth-Exmouth trips. It has been totally reliable and very economical.
He had never had any interest or considered a Mitsubishi before but this vehicle has changed his mind.
Good choice. The Paj is a very under-rated 4WD.
Old 25-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #45
Ringo
I see you....

Another one for the Paj.

They are not the first on the shopping list for lots of people but their mechanicals are toyota tough without the preimum price tag. Service costs are very reasonable and dealers everywhere and the most common comment I have heard about them is that are 'car like' to drive, not truck like. Hard part is finding one - they are not just everywhere.

Second choice is the Prado and third is the Landcuiser.

Series III 3.0 Patrols had the mod to stop them going bang (piston failure caused by insufficent oil cooling) BUT lots of series I and II have replacement Series III engines in them because Nissan where very generous in supplying new long motors- 4x4 forums are a wealth of info on them including how to spot a Series III engine in a Series I or II...great value there IF your know what your looking for.

I would avoid Utes because of the commercial leaf suspension being a bit rough over long distances...the coils in passenger 4x4 wagons is much more car like. *cough avoid 75, 79 series cough*

For all the crap that is being spouted by people wanted to knock ex lease vehicles 95% of them are coming off a fully maintained lease where repairs and maintenance costs are in the lease rate. The driver gets no $ benifit for skipping services. In fact they will get butt kicked for not complying with OH+S where the vehicle BY LAW has to be maintained in line with manufacturer specs or else its get legally expensive. The number of ex lease vehicle that are flogged are few and far between (mine vehicles are an exception). Cars are better made and speed cameras take photos of cars being flogged - its a reputation that belongs in the past. I have seen non-car orientated people kill their own cars out of ignorance, we all have - with fleet stuff someone is usually monitoring the fleet.

Where ever you look for a new car it boils down to the vehicle having a service history that you can see - has the books been stamped? If not walk on....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #46
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

1999 Range Rover HSE About $16,000.
Get to meet lovely people like tow truck drivers and strike up a great friendship with your local mechanic and servo operators.
And it was a $120,000 vehicle when new.
Slightly high fuel usage at around 20l/100k plus around town.
Old 27-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #47
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pajero DiD
ive had two (2002 V6 & 2004 DiD) and they are great cars/4WDs
dont buy a petrol one though.... ive had both and the diesel gets around 700ks to a tank and V6 only around 400ks plus the DiD has way more grunt
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #48
snakeoil
Snake Oil

Maybe also consider Ford explorer V8.

great for towing and fun to drive

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #49
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoil
Maybe also consider Ford explorer V8.

great for towing and fun to drive

and cheap as too (to buy)
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #50
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I'm another one recommending a Pajero. My mate has a 2002 3.2L DID and the thing flies. I've driven it quite a lot and it has power, comfort and good economy.
My mate and his wife frequently go bush with their caravan and the Pajero constantly gets under 12L/100kms when towing the fully ladened van. When I asked him about his economy, I couldn't believe how great it was on fuel. It gets even better without the van on the back.
Wish I could get economy like that in my AU egas wagon.

In my opinion, a diesel is the best option as you can usually get fuel anywhere in the country. Petrol and LPG may not always be as readily available.

Let us know what your Grandparents end up buying. Best wishes to them and the many adventures that they'll have.
Old 29-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #51
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thanks guys. Ill let you know. We will be going to have a look at the auctions just to see prices on Monday.