Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #31
BlueFG2

Default Re: I feel very dirty

The only thing I pick on Holden about is the looks of the more recent models, fords have a more cleaner look, which is what I like, holdens are just too bulky and overdone for my tastes, but to each their, opinions are subjective
BlueFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #32
blk6t

My mate got a brand spanker GTS E3, yellow with all the options, gotta admit......the thing is a great drive. The MRC is such a good feature, only minor firmness but you can feel the difference and you gain so much more confidence in the cars handling capabilities.

The sound of the GTS is very nice also, comparable if not better than the GT.

The GTS definitly feels more special than the average SS, inside is seperated away from the Commodore with different center console etc. Outside there is also enough changes to make it look a little over the top but from some angles it looks damn aggressive. Always had a soft spot for the LED rear lights on the HSV, they look great and you can spot them a mile away.

Is the GTS a better packaged car than the GTP???....gotta say honestly yes and by a fair whack. If you want to take the GTS to the track the MRC and additional monitoring systems are really useful (although very playstation feel with the graphics), useless on the road though. But its all there if and when you need it.

I will never admit it to a Holden/HSV fan though......
Old 29-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #33
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

My mum told me once that every time I drove a HSV , a kitten would die ...... :(
Old 29-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #34
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
My mate got a brand spanker GTS E3, yellow with all the options, gotta admit......the thing is a great drive. The MRC is such a good feature, only minor firmness but you can feel the difference and you gain so much more confidence in the cars handling capabilities.

The GTS definitly feels more special than the average SS, inside is seperated away from the Commodore with different center console etc. Outside there is also enough changes to make it look a little over the top but from some angles it looks damn aggressive. Always had a soft spot for the LED rear lights on the HSV, they look great and you can spot them a mile away.

Is the GTS a better packaged car than the GTP???....gotta say honestly yes and by a fair whack. If you want to take the GTS to the track the MRC and additional monitoring systems are really useful (although very playstation feel with the graphics), useless on the road though. But its all there if and when you need it.

*Takes notes down*

It's nice to see you feel that way mate.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #35
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven quite a few VE-VEII SS's manual, auto, wagon, ute sedan, calais etc and to be honest they're pretty unappealing to me. I don't like the steering wheel, nor the dash. It handles well but there's something not right about it to me. It doesn't feel as firm on the road, I don't feel as connected.

I haven't driven a HSV yet but i've visited Holden yards and I don't particularly like the interiors of them either. The dash plastic is so cheap and the seats, although look good and look supportive are way too soft and just flatten out when you sit in them (i'm tall and broad and about 100kgs). Noise wise, yeah the LS engines make a great note but the cackle, whine and note of the 5.0L engines is just a whole different world. I can't comment on the HSV performance just yet. Not a fan of the VE looks in any form either.

I've driven a lot of FPVs so far working at Ford and love each and every one of them. Yes I understand peoples arguments, oh its a sport taxi etc etc but they're well built, immensely powerful, have or can option all of the features you need, they're simple and easy to use and 5.0L and the 4.0L Barra are just such good engines you can't pass them up!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #36
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t

Common mate, they've got nothing under 4,000 revs that's the biggest problem with HSV's, always has been. They go allright over that remind me again where do people spend most of their time driving, that's right, bottom end and mid range revs where the SC and F6 FPV's kick sand all over any HSV's face not to mention top end poke where the SC FPV is also a very clear winner. HSV is SLOWER, in fact much, much slower in the mid and low range revs and they're a losers car. Line a SC up against your mate's HSV and have a decent race and then come back and tell me how much better his HSV is...pffttt, barely Holden together

And don't even start me on HSV's MRC problems, electrical issues, third rate auto gearbox's and so on. Geez I can't believe I have to preech to the so-called converted on this forum leave the platstation HSV interior for the schoolkids to admire ah... Geez are you sure your mate didn't slip you some wonky weed to influence you in that post

Last edited by Rodge; 29-11-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #37
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

The harshest critics are the fans...

Also I would go either, just to get out of owning my bloody oil burning titanic bus monstrosity that offers NO benefits over a petrol model vehicle.
Old 29-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #38
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
The harshest critics are the so-called fans...

Also I would go either, just to get out of owning my bloody oil burning titanic bus monstrosity that offers NO benefits over a petrol model vehicle.
There fixed it for ya.
Old 29-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #39
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

i had an SV6 as a loan car for almost a month while the fairlane was getting rebuilt after the acco.

while it was a nice car, i was still craving the AU... the throttle, steering and more is just better on the ford...

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #40
Rodge
Banned

Yeap I was "upgraded" because they ran out, from a requested mid sizer rental to a Commondore and absolutly hated it, worse another time I once had to accept a Commondore rental when I had specially requested a FG XR6. I know why the Op feels dirty, couldn't wait to get back to driving a real car. Geez where do I start, the steering wheel felt dead and lifeless, heck you could turn the thing a quarter of a turn and the front wheels didn't change direction, then there was the 1970's gearbox in a 2010 car, brakes that barely worked and so on and so on. Yeah okay a HSV is a tarted up commondore but there's an old saying, you can't polish a ****

Last edited by Rodge; 29-11-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 29-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #41
billy302

I've never understood this Ford/Holden thing. Which one is faster? who cares.
If you want to go fast get a sports bike. Yahama R1 for instance 300k's plus.
honestly, who wants to drive a car when you can ride.
Bike:
1. Cheaper to Purchase
2. Faster
3. Cheaper to run.
4. ¼ mile times cars dream about
5. And Standard too not modified.
Get a grip guys this Ford/Holden thing is crap. My daughter drives a Holden and I still love her.

Last edited by billy302; 29-11-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #42
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

My Sister owns a Holden Cruze, i don't mind it ... but i won't service it!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #43
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy302
Bike:
1. Cheaper to Purchase
2. Faster
3. Cheaper to run.
Get a grip guys this Ford/Holden thing is crap. My daughter drives a Holden and I still love her.
And I'm sure the people on the Yamaha roadbike forum would be really interested to hear all about it...
Old 29-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #44
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

I drove a Walkinshaw SS ute with minor upgrades to boost it to 350kw. Beautiful drive, plenty of grip, great exhaust note, and more than enough power to get me into trouble Considering that there is no XR8 and the next step is the GS, I would take the SS everytime and spend a small amount of money to make it better than the GS. This is a sad day......I just admitted id buy a holden over a ford :/
Old 29-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #45
billy302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
And I'm sure the people on the Yamaha roadbike forum would be really interested to hear all about it...
I've actually done it you see 300k's on a road bike, smiled for days after.
Really good fun to leave the Porche Turbo's behind at the lights too.
I see the car you drive, very nice but, no match for a bike anywhere.
Sorry no cigar to the man with the Ford. By the way I like Fords too, but not at the exclusion to everything else.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #46
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Tell us your experience with the oposistion, obviously you enjoyed but how do they compare to our's ?.
Want me to tell you?
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #47
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge

Hahahahaha! Mate your a funny guy! But to your earlier quote, I couldnt agree with you more. Though not everyone is after 0 - 100...
For those that do take it into account, you surely can not compare cars?!?!

Ive seen an E3 at WSID and his best time was a 14.0. Now lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was a crap driver, what is it really worth? a 13.6?

The new Blown GT's are unrivaled in the market right now and nothing at all comes even close. When I drive my brother inlaws GTP 335, Ive never experienced a STANDARD out of the factory car to do what that thing done!!! To bog down finally in 3rd gear and gain traction (AUTO) is amazing, whilst the E3 there Chirps 2nd's?????
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #48
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Want me to tell you?
No thankyou, I only value those that I respect but thank's all the same.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #49
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_060606
I drove a Walkinshaw SS ute with minor upgrades to boost it to 350kw. Beautiful drive, plenty of grip, great exhaust note, and more than enough power to get me into trouble Considering that there is no XR8 and the next step is the GS, I would take the SS everytime and spend a small amount of money to make it better than the GS. This is a sad day......I just admitted id buy a holden over a ford :/
Are you talking about a supercharged ute? if so it is a $14k kit

If you are not talking about supercharged then you must be talking about flywheel kilowatts there at best and to get to that 350kw flywheel marak on an SS you would need extractors back, cams, heads and a mafless tune.

A real world example - to take the L98 (the 6 litre in the SS) and put a full exhaust (with race cats), Kostecki intake and tune results in about 240 rwkw (on a good day). Add cams and that will take it to about 270 rwkw for a $10k spend.

Your GS plus a $1500 tune will blow it away

I just noticed you mentioned a walkinshaw SS, now I presume you are talking about supercharged and then the 350rwkw may be possible but I think adding the cost of the ute plus the supercharger kit plus exhaust etc will be on par (money wise) with a tuned GS and the tuned GS would have circa 400rwkw
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #50
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bike:
1. Cheaper to Purchase
2. Faster
3. Cheaper to run.
a car weighs 1600kg. and can carry all your mates. i reckon if we whack another 400 kilos on the bike and another passenger, the only thing that will be left behind is the bikes clutch.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #51
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Just realised this is the same bloke who thinks a second depression is coming...

Tell me, why are you test driving expensive sedans when you should be putting your money in savings for a rainy day?
Old 29-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #52
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Curiously, did you get to play around with the Holden IQ system at all? I spent a year validating that as a student engineer and wouldn't mind hearing some reviews from people not trying to actually break the damn thing!
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #53
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
Curiously, did you get to play around with the Holden IQ system at all? I spent a year validating that as a student engineer and wouldn't mind hearing some reviews from people not trying to actually break the damn thing!
No. Concentrating where I was going so had no time to take my eyes off the road.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #54
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I wouldn't care if they ran on rails and was the fastest thing on 4 wheels ..... to be totally Politically Correct and all .... I could never own something that's makes me laugh every time I drive past one. The designers got it right for those who couldn't be bothered shopping at Autobarn as they certainly come with the lot ...... But then that's my opinion.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Looking at that makes me feel sick. Its hiddeous. I can't believe they tacked so much garbage onto the front of it, and topped it off by adding the chrome bits above the nostrils that look so totally out of place. Its like it was designed by a 13 year old.

Last edited by flappist; 30-11-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: you should know better than that
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #56
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on don't most people only see the rear so who cares
bloody ugly
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #57
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL
Hang on don't most people only see the rear so who cares
bloody ugly
No .......... Only see the hideous front in my rear view mirror!

Who designed it?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #58
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Hahahahhahahaha!!! AUSLANDAU. Too good.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #59
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Want me to tell you?
come on mate, tell us all, i want to hear it
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #60
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
I've actually done it you see 300k's on a road bike, smiled for days after.
Really good fun to leave the Porche Turbo's behind at the lights too.
I see the car you drive, very nice but, no match for a bike anywhere.
Sorry no cigar to the man with the Ford. By the way I like Fords too, but not at the exclusion to everything else.
But see, they are in a Porsche...

Bugs in face, sore genitals, no protection from elements, no space, high risk of death etc doesn't add up for a lot of people.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post