Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #31
LUXO_8
windsor user

again, where, how, i want it now!!

haha
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #32
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
sounds good!....how do i get in and where do i sign
No qualification needed. I was ex military (Bomb disposal). They are keen on people who are likley to hang around. Married, in debt etc etc. The last time they advertised for process technicians, there were a lot of applicants. But they are looking every couple of months for new blood.
BBB
Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #33
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Become a Trades assistant at a mine site. Around 5 bucks an hour less but enough to take home 1300 a week clear. Dont need any brains though and if the job is too hard you just say im not qualified.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #34
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
again, where, how, i want it now!!

haha
Seek.com.au Most if not all of the petro-chems advertise there... Don't be put off by "Tertiary education would be an advantage" and all that crap... They mostly require you to do a 'Caliper Profile' (http://www.caliper.com.au/faqs/ ) exam before the interview... Answer honestly 'cause if you try to bullshit it will shine through.

Persistence, willingness to learn, dedication to self improvement, blah, blah, blah... Sell yourself as someone who's looking for a career.
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #35
HWY666

Well,im a driller,i earn $16p/hr drilling for coal,we do a 90-yes,90-hr week,for 16 days straight,plus,we have to travel 6hrs to go home every hitch,and as i am on salary,my take home is $840.Dont be a driller unless they are a high paying company-$90,000 is a good company.As such,i am hopefully on my way to an offshore oil rig,$125,000US,5 months on,1 month off(paid),they do 2 hitches a yr-so 10months,$250,000 US,plus what they pay for the 2 months off
The worst i have done was 19weeks straight on a land rig,drilling for oil,$15p/hr,12hr+a day........

Previous:
BA XT Ex Police duty car- factory dual battery, LSD, shiftkit

F6 Tornado No 20- Silhouette, partially restored (bar paint), Plazmaman piping kit, Pedders gear+ rear swaybar

BF XR8 MK2, 6 spd manual- Pedders coilovers, Yella Terra CAI, tuned to 260rwkw
HWY666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 02:02 AM   #36
anto
Za Dom spremni

as others have said, get yourself some qualifications, think of the future...do you want to be labouring or do you want a career you can be proud of and make big bucks ? You are never too old, at age 28 I quit being a forklift driver and decided to study 3d animation and visual effects for film and TV, three years later I was working on King Kong and having meetings with Peter Jackson in one of the biggest Visual effects houses on the planet on a base wage of 170k,..not really working just being creative and having fun . I saw some invoices from some of the more senior people that were above 15k a week :

Moral of the story is where theres a will theres a way.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 02:09 AM   #37
smiley

Do an apprenticeship. I'm first year sparky making $430 clear. By 4th year, i'll be clearing a gran + company car, free fuel and mobile.
2.5" Redback, high flow cat, Pacemaker headers

178.3rwkw
15.18 @ 95.72 MPH
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 03:15 AM   #38
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I've read some of the posts in this thread. Interesting how popular mining is. With all the recommendations to go into mining (for the "labor" oriented people) are there that many jobs in the field being offered?

I am a Toolmaker with 10 years experience. I don't just machine things though. Besides being able to machine things on milling machines, lathes, surface grinders, and all the usual stuff I also design things and engineer them. This could be designing a hand tool to alleviate ergonomic concerns, re-engineering a machine component for longer wear, stronger shock resistance, or ease of removing and replacing for maintenance, designing a fixture for assembly processes, or an aperatus or other "tooling". I draw them in CAD in both 3-D and 2-D. I use a CAM program (Computer Aided Machining) that writes out the long list of code to run a CNC machine. I can also edit that code manually. Then I set up and run the CNC after programing it. I also do the problem solving that is the catalyst for all this work. I also do reverse-engineering.

Besides all that I can also weld with stick arc (SMAW), TIG (GTAW), and MIG (GMAW) in all positions. I can weld aluminium and stainless steel as well as chromiuim and others. I can use an oxy-acetylene torch to weld, braze, silver solder, or cut. I've also welded cast iron with this torch. I've done carbon arc cutting. I've been welding sporatically since I was 15. I'm 42 now.

In my Apprenticeship for Toolmaker I also had classes in Metallurgy, both ferrous and non-ferrous, Trigonometry, Physics, Drafting, and Geometry to name a few.

However, though I have certification with the State of Ohio and the U.S. Department of Labor as a Toolmaker, I do not have a college degree.

My question is, if I were to move to Australia would I be able to find work and would it pay well?

Thanks,
Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 03:36 AM   #39
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Got a few mates that jump on board the vineyard industry every year and RAKE in the money. Harvest time for vineyards = lots of hours and reasonable pay.
As you don't want to venture to far from Melb, surely there's a meat works around. If that pays well go there. Time is ticking. It's mid march already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
My question is, if I were to move to Australia would I be able to find work and would it pay well?Thanks,
Steve
heck yeh. The qualifications are there, especially if you have a bit of pride in your work.

In South Aust. nearly every tool maker/tool shop is tied up making injection moulding tools for FORD that once made, trialled & approved are off to Canada to produce 07/08 and beyond parts (do canada produce ford usa's plastic parts) ? presumably so or at least some of them.

We're trialling most of them and the difference in quality is amazing. Some tool shops really take pride in their work. Others are just funny and think it's fine to place an eyebolt or lifting strap completely off centre so the tool hangs on an angle.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #40
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
I've read some of the posts in this thread. Interesting how popular mining is. With all the recommendations to go into mining (for the "labor" oriented people) are there that many jobs in the field being offered?

I am a Toolmaker with 10 years experience. I don't just machine things though. Besides being able to machine things on milling machines, lathes, surface grinders, and all the usual stuff I also design things and engineer them. This could be designing a hand tool to alleviate ergonomic concerns, re-engineering a machine component for longer wear, stronger shock resistance, or ease of removing and replacing for maintenance, designing a fixture for assembly processes, or an aperatus or other "tooling". I draw them in CAD in both 3-D and 2-D. I use a CAM program (Computer Aided Machining) that writes out the long list of code to run a CNC machine. I can also edit that code manually. Then I set up and run the CNC after programing it. I also do the problem solving that is the catalyst for all this work. I also do reverse-engineering.

Besides all that I can also weld with stick arc (SMAW), TIG (GTAW), and MIG (GMAW) in all positions. I can weld aluminium and stainless steel as well as chromiuim and others. I can use an oxy-acetylene torch to weld, braze, silver solder, or cut. I've also welded cast iron with this torch. I've done carbon arc cutting. I've been welding sporatically since I was 15. I'm 42 now.

In my Apprenticeship for Toolmaker I also had classes in Metallurgy, both ferrous and non-ferrous, Trigonometry, Physics, Drafting, and Geometry to name a few.

However, though I have certification with the State of Ohio and the U.S. Department of Labor as a Toolmaker, I do not have a college degree.

My question is, if I were to move to Australia would I be able to find work and would it pay well?

Thanks,
Steve
Straight in the door here mate!.... So desperate for good "allrounder" ESPECIALLY with CNC (Machining centre / CNC Lathe) programming and CAD skills!
Paywise... ?? PM me. (seriously)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #41
boss-290

Motor Mechanic :
Old 13-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #42
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread.

I wanna hear more bout the pharmacuetical/chemical type roles. They sound good.

Any in the Brisbane region?
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #43
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm only 17 and during the holidays I was doing removalist with a recruitment agencey. I mostly worked from about 8am to 630pm but we did have over time. I was working about 2-4 days a week. I was making around $300-$700 after tax. The truckies who are also removalist were on $25 an hour and also after 8 hours they would get over time. Some of them were geting about $1500 a week after tax for 5 days of work. Yeah the hours can be messed up because you can't leave the job until you have delieverd everything but it's great. A bit of lifting, the blokes are fun and theres always time for a rest. You may get tips from customers, sometimes food and on a few occasions we get tipped with a 6 pack.

If you wan't a job that is just part time them removalist may be for you. It would be alot safer then doing mining.

P.s It wasn't rare for people to be getting $2,ooo plus for a busy week, I found $1500 to be the average pay
Old 13-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #44
gtfpv
GT

there is nothing greedy about wanting a high paying job. working for love is not everyones cup of tea . somethings to consider though . al ot of those CHEMICAL high paying jobs , are paying you too **** in a container once a month !!!!
mining can be dangerous and life shortening , with bad health later on . i'm not saying dont go for it . just weigh up the risks . i get paid very well , because of experiance , demand , and danger . + shift work . which all have consequences .
but . its better than crap money in a suit .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #45
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
but . its better than crap money in a suit .
Ouch! Bit uncalled for??
Old 13-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #46
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

somtimes it's good to get a bit less and work in a suit with an office a nice company car and phone. 9-5 with little physical work. That's why I want to be a car salesman. yeah I could have stayed with removalist and be guarenteed heaps of work and money but at the end of the day you don't have as much freedom and you work yourself to the bone.

P.s i'm aware that carsalesman can workends and late on Thursdays but I enjoy cars and can see that as a great career. Plus I can be pretty convincing lol
Old 13-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #47
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Im in my 1st year out of uni and Im on 70k, plus a car, plus site bonus at the beginning of each project(At the age of 20). Its never too late to get your degree mate. Its well worth it.
I've been out for 5 years now (mech engineer) and dont even make 50K. I assume your a civil engineer. All depends on where you work, I work in the production industry in a small company so thats the lowest payed area. Good variety of work sometimes and its a fairly relaxed atmosphere.

Construction seems the best payed. Site work pays very well. I once worked for a engineering contractor who had an office at an engineering jobbing workshop that did various construction jobs. The tradies, mostly boilermakers and welders made at least $26 an hour base rate, even the guys who worked at the workshop and didnt go on site.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #48
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Ouch! Bit uncalled for??
sorry . not having a go at you . good money in a suit is better than crap money in a suit . my advice to everyone is work for top $$ if you can . the pollies do . and under a collective agreement at that. but i wont turn this political . so dont reply to this one .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #49
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
sorry . not having a go at you . good money in a suit is better than crap money in a suit . my advice to everyone is work for top $$ if you can . the pollies do . and under a collective agreement at that. but i wont turn this political . so dont reply to this one .
Lol, all good my friend.

Certainly agree people should strive for their highest worth. The gloves are off, so to speak!

Concept of high paying job is interesting... big money to one person is pittance to another. My pay is fairly comfortable in my mind, some people i know think that's a lot... some people i know wouldnt get out of bed for less than 100k (im a far cry away from 100k lol... 25 years old, early days...).

Last edited by 4.9 EF Futura; 13-03-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: im 25... and apparantley cant count
4.9 EF Futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #50
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
It took me over 20 years of working to get into a 6 figure salary. No degree just plain hard work and good planning.
Yep. I have always been told by my part time work boss of 9 years that the secret to success is hard work, thats why it remains a secret. He started with one truck when i started with him and know he has 6 trucks. Pays about 5 drivers 70grand a year and pays himself upwards of 120grand as far as i know. He has worked 70+ hour weeks for the last 9years though but know sits back.
Old 13-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #51
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
heck yeh. The qualifications are there, especially if you have a bit of pride in your work.

In South Aust. nearly every tool maker/tool shop is tied up making injection moulding tools for FORD that once made, trialled & approved are off to Canada to produce 07/08 and beyond parts (do canada produce ford usa's plastic parts) ? presumably so or at least some of them.

We're trialling most of them and the difference in quality is amazing. Some tool shops really take pride in their work. Others are just funny and think it's fine to place an eyebolt or lifting strap completely off centre so the tool hangs on an angle.

Interesting that your work there goes to Canada. I live close to Cleveland, Ohio, and there are many quality injection mold companies here. Heck, if there is any kind of metal "thing" to be made there are plenty of high tech, or low tech, campanies here that can do it, to make the molds, dies, intricate small machined parts, large machined parts, or to do the plastic injection. I don't know why Ford is having them made there. I would think for the added shipping cost that it would cost more that way. Here, companies have cutting edge software and state of the art CNC machinery to be able to compete against the Chinese. I know Australians don't work cheaper than the Chinese, even with the exchange rate. It just doesn't make sense. I guess I'll have to write another email to Mark Fields again.

Pride in my work? I don't want anyone, even a Journeyman with twice the experience, touching what I am working on. My work is represetative of me and who I am. I don't want any part of it out of my control where someone else can screw something up and make me look bad. What I have learned is that "Nobody cares as much about what you are doing than you." That is what I have learned and have told many people. When this goes to where it's needed people will form an opinion on the person that made it and that is all they have to go by, so I want it to be as perfect as is possible.

Ok, enough of that. I am also an artist so when I got into the trade metalworking just became another art medium for me. I will dress something up or polish it to give it a shine before I give it to the person that is going to be using it. That way they also take better care of it because you took the time to make something nice for them. I also tell them to use it for a few hours and I will check back to see if they want any changes after they get used to it.

"Straight in the door here mate!.... So desperate for good "allrounder" ESPECIALLY with CNC (Machining centre / CNC Lathe) programming and CAD skills!
Paywise... ?? PM me. (seriously)"

I just may drop you a PM. The thing is my wife would like to take a vacation to Australia, and I've been wanting to for quite a long time. But I know once we get there, whenever that will be, she will want to move there. Moving there would be years away, but I like to have job security.

Thanks,
Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #52
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
To address this question steve, we're currently seeing a HUGE boom in resource industries here in Australia. Well, we've always had a great mining industry particularly with coal (banana republic, anyone?) etc...

But as a result of the demand for energy and metals increasing exponentially in developing economies, much much higher resource/commodity values on the markets, there's a LOT of companies rushing into these industries in Australia (coal, uranium, metals)... particularly in the west/northern areas... and as a reuslt, big demand for workers - of all associated trades and of course plenty of unskilled labour is needed as well.

There is just billions and billions and billions of dollars rushing into the sector.

So yeah - there really is that many jobs being offered.

The obvious flow on effects is that people in the nearby capitals - Perth being primary example, are seeing wages increase, as employers attempt to discourage people from leaving their current job for "a stint in the mines".
Old 13-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #53
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
as others have said, get yourself some qualifications, think of the future...do you want to be labouring or do you want a career you can be proud of and make big bucks ? You are never too old, at age 28 I quit being a forklift driver and decided to study 3d animation and visual effects for film and TV, three years later I was working on King Kong and having meetings with Peter Jackson in one of the biggest Visual effects houses on the planet on a base wage of 170k,..not really working just being creative and having fun . I saw some invoices from some of the more senior people that were above 15k a week :

Moral of the story is where theres a will theres a way.
Interestingly enough, i'd love to do 3d animation, but I have no where near the skills/artistic ability needed.. So I kinda gave up on that idea a while ago, heheh.

Although, something like that is still on the cards, i'm not looking for the future right now, long term careers and courses can wait till after travelling ;)

PS. Mind me asking where you studied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Got a few mates that jump on board the vineyard industry every year and RAKE in the money. Harvest time for vineyards = lots of hours and reasonable pay.
I'm doing fruit and some vineyard picking this summer at a friends farm. It was paying great, but seeing that the season is ending (especially fruit) the paycheques are coming down. At one point I was making around $6-800 a week for easy as/fun work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
I'm only 17 and during the holidays I was doing removalist with a recruitment agencey. I mostly worked from about 8am to 630pm but we did have over time. I was working about 2-4 days a week. I was making around $300-$700 after tax. The truckies who are also removalist were on $25 an hour and also after 8 hours they would get over time. Some of them were geting about $1500 a week after tax for 5 days of work. Yeah the hours can be messed up because you can't leave the job until you have delieverd everything but it's great. A bit of lifting, the blokes are fun and theres always time for a rest. You may get tips from customers, sometimes food and on a few occasions we get tipped with a 6 pack.

If you wan't a job that is just part time them removalist may be for you. It would be alot safer then doing mining.

P.s It wasn't rare for people to be getting $2,ooo plus for a busy week, I found $1500 to be the average pay
Cheers mate, going to look into that as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
same boat here.
just walked into my new job as chemicals/pharmachutical manufacturer.
still training so im doing 8 hour days, 5 days a week and im on $53000pa, thats without O/T included.
once training is complete its onto the 4x12hr shifts with a shift allowance of 49% EXTRA on top of my normal pay.
and for all those "you need to go to Uni to earn more money" people.....think again.
ive NEVER had a job that pays less than $25 an hour and i didnt even finish year 12.
Interesting.. What previous jobs have you done if you don't mind me asking?
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #54
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Interestingly enough, i'd love to do 3d animation, but I have no where near the skills/artistic ability needed.. So I kinda gave up on that idea a while ago, heheh.

Although, something like that is still on the cards, i'm not looking for the future right now, long term careers and courses can wait till after travelling

PS. Mind me asking where you studied?
you got the right idea..do your traveling and enjoy life, but keep an eye on the big picture too..
I wasnt suggesting this as a career to you as such, rather as an example of how with the right attitude and a bit of thought anything is possible..
good luck with whatever you decide to do :sm_headba
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #55
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Im 19 and a high school dropout, working 9-5 @ $22/hr and 5:30-11 @ only $15.50/hr. 6 days a week, its hard work, but im hoping to own a car and house by the time im 30 and chasing a career in radio....
Definatly agree that working hard while your young and able is better than working until you die...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #56
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
Im 19 and a high school dropout, working 9-5 @ $22/hr and 5:30-11 @ only $15.50/hr. 6 days a week, its hard work, but im hoping to own a car and house by the time im 30 and chasing a career in radio....
Definatly agree that working hard while your young and able is better than working until you die...
Absolutely agree mate. My rates probably equal out to the same as yours. I work 8:30 - 5:00 (paid for anyway) at i think about $19-$20 an hour. Mark assignments once a month for a bout 15 hours at $30 an hour and work either one or two full days on sat, sun (some call it a weekend) at $18 an hour. Usually bring home about average of just under $800 a week. poxy i know but i live at home and put away about $1000 a fornight or more. Also i'm studying externally part time doing electrical engineering so when : i finish that i'l be set.
Old 14-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #57
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Interesting.. What previous jobs have you done if you don't mind me asking?
previous job (actually i still have it and will return for 2 days a week once im on 12 hour shifts) was/is Dairy manufacturing (its the oldest, and only Australian Dairy company listed on the stock exchange). previous to that i was working for Nestle in the Dairy industry.
so really, my back ground is milk, cream, butter and cheese manufacturing.
at the end of the day though, manufacturing is still manufacturing. doesnt matter on the product, its the same principle.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #58
ONBA1L

(SMILEY) "Quote" Do an apprenticeship. I'm first year sparky making $430 clear. By 4th year, i'll be clearing a gran + company car, free fuel and mobile.

ive been told 1st yr is 250 clear. are you on EBA rates or something or getting overtime. not to sure but im in melbourne and i cant find anybody willing to employ someone at the moment in the electrical industry. how did you go about it if u dont mind? cheers,
ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #59
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONBA1L
(SMILEY) "Quote" Do an apprenticeship. I'm first year sparky making $430 clear. By 4th year, i'll be clearing a gran + company car, free fuel and mobile.

ive been told 1st yr is 250 clear. are you on EBA rates or something or getting overtime. not to sure but im in melbourne and i cant find anybody willing to employ someone at the moment in the electrical industry. how did you go about it if u dont mind? cheers,

That would be union rates, $250 clear would be closer to the mark for the private sector.
Less money, but you learn more.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #60
smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONBA1L

Yeh, my pay is based on the EBA. $430 clear is from 36hours/week. overtime is extra. I actually was at uni for 2 1/2 years before I made the change. When I stopped (defered) uni, I did the 6 moths pre-apprenticeship course at NMIT Preston. In one of the classes, my employer advertised in one of the class looking for some1 under the age of 20 (and I was 20 at the time) but I called him anyway. Went in for the interview and a couple of weeks later, he said he'll start me off and now I've just gotten over the 3 month probation. I wouldn't think this would differ in pay as we get the same qualification but we dont do much light and power, mainly mechanical switchboards and wiring up big and small refrigeration and air-conditioning units.

But pre-ap is the right path to start, will give you the knowledge of whether or not it will be good for you.

As for some1 else saying sometimes its easier doing a 9-5 office job, I thought of that as an easy way too but then realised how many people then come home to go to the gym to make up sitting down all day. As long as you dont hit the booze too hard, as a tradee your always on your toes and doing physical labor and should stay fairly fit. I thought electrician would be easier than some trades but with all the tools you carry, cable drums, ladders and having to climb everywhere, its quite a workout.
2.5" Redback, high flow cat, Pacemaker headers

178.3rwkw
15.18 @ 95.72 MPH
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post