Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Scanners embedded in road to result in fines for those driving on worn tires?

Just remember guys/gals. This is getting looked at in the UK and not Australia. So before people pull all their hair out maybe see if this actually can be used.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Scanners embedded in road to result in fines for those driving on worn tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Just remember guys/gals. This is getting looked at in the UK and not Australia. So before people pull all their hair out maybe see if this actually can be used.
Valid point, remember the whole of pommyland is smaller than Victoria with 4 times our population. Not quite so profitable here.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #33
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I realise that, but being one of the only other major countries which drives on the left, the RTA and other road authorities tend to take developments in the UK as gospel and necessary here. Just look at their love affair with speed cameras, flourescent yellow signage, lower speed limits etc etc. It's a veritable fact that many senior members of the RTA take annual trips to the UK for the purposes of getting so called "Road Safety" ideas.
They'll cherry pick ideas and initiatives to ensure rivers of cash keep flowing in to the government coffers.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like we thought we'd never see other British ideas like fixed Gatso's on the side of the highway, point to point cameras, and objects on the roadside (wheelie bins, guideposts, etc) with cameras hidden in them...stuff like that?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #35
ohzone
Dent Removal

Here is a photo of the "offending" unit

ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #36
BHDOGS
Banned

Yeh i reckon i could get a crowbar into that
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just me, or is anyone else wondering what a squidge of clear silicon sealant along that long "lens" depression in the top would do...?

Not to mention how long that would stay clean enough to give accurate readings...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #38
ltd
Force Fed Fords

It would read through silicon.
I'm thinking a little metal strip over the top of the scanner would do the job, or perhaps some sulfuric acid to the scanner strip wouldn't do it many favours.
Either way, being on the ground it will be vandalised.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #39
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

x2 for crowbar

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #40
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Is it just me, or is anyone else wondering what a squidge of clear silicon sealant along that long "lens" depression in the top would do...?

Not to mention how long that would stay clean enough to give accurate readings...
if I was to go that path I would give it something with color, tile adhesive perhaps or liquid nails, something it cannot "see" through

or you could just carry some bits of ply in yer boot come up to sensor stop lay ply over sensors drive over then take ply put back in boot and drive on

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive around it.
I always replace my tyres when they are low on tread, but it's the principle.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #42
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple gaff tape would work perfectly
Old 07-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #43
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

This thread seems to have degraded to a lot of talk about malicious damage to public property. Discuss the topic, being the problem of unroadworthy tyres and management of the problem.

Tick, tock, here comes the lock!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #44
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many variables for my liking...get back to the old days of police actively driving around looking at cars, instead of relying on a potentially flawed piece of equipment.

I wonder what would happen if it gave a false reading, you got fined, and tried to fight it? I think, like a speed camera, they will assume it is the only scientific measuring device in the world that never ever makes an error or has a plus or minus allowance. Even if you turned up with your car and said 'See, the tyres are fine", they'd just say "So you got new ones or borrowed a legal set...big deal...pay the fine".
Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #45
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

The best way to go about this, which would resolve without an uproar, is simple.

Send the fine out, and say
"You have 30 days to send a receipt of new tires purchased for the vehicle. If you do not comply within the time limit, your registration will be void and a bigger fine will be imposed"

I'd rather send back a receipt!
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #46
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But that doesn't cover the error factor...what if it makes a mistake? You will have literally no defence against it...probably even less than you would have for a speed camera. You can hardly send a reciept for tyres you might have bought a year ago, and will just be accused of putting on legal ones if you went in and showed them and complained.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #47
jcxr
Tribal Elder

JC makes mental note: must get the M&H's off the XR
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #48
LTDHO
The one and only

There are a lot of cars out there with dangerously low tread.

the police don't do anything about them, so I guess these scanners are next.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #49
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still say it would make more sense to set up RBTs and direct cars off to the side at random for tyre inspections, let the Police officers do it the way they should be operating speed cameras not the maquarie bank. these sensors like speed cameras are a means to automate the process, the sensor says your tyres are worn out so it must be so have a fine, I am against this type of thing as I am not an ATM machine when I drive my car, this is my reasoning and we already get shafted big in terms of fines, registration fees and other automotive based expenses, perhaps there is so many cars getting around on crap tyres is because the owner of said vehicle is too busy paying off his speeding infringement he copped on a warm sunny day at midday at the base of a hill whilst traveling at 114 in a 110 zone in his older car without cruise control, so to keep his license he has to pay the fine, and in paying the fine/fines he skimps on auto maintenance, why can't some of the revenue raised through speed cameras be used to rebate the cost of tyres this in my opinion would go a long way to improving the tyres cars roll around on

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post