Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #31
Fiestaman

Default Re: PowerShift gearbox problems

Keep us posted on how the gearbox performs from now on - hopefully this is the end to the problem.
As for the dealers I think that new car technology has outstripped their knowledge and expertise. My first car was a carby fed, points ignition, mechanical fuel pump car. Could trace any fault within minutes. Today's cars have electronic everything and have proved themselves either dead easy to trace a fault or next to impossible to solve without a huge amount of work - which dealers are very reluctant to do.
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #32
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Well said
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

As above!

No mods yet.
Samtheband is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #34
Caydus

So far the drivetrain is great. The shifts feel smoother. It doesn't escape the DSG low speed jerkiness but overall its feeling good with no undue transmission noise. There does seem to be a significant power gain felt by the seat of the pants. I don't have to push it as hard for the same effect.

But problems now include

1. Spinning metal on metal rasp coming from the front right section of the engine bay. Sounds like its coming from the driveshaft though can't be sure.

2. Creaking interior, sounds like a big woooden ship going round corners, potholes or speed humps, especially the Driver's seat (I swear I haven't gained that much weight)

3. Driver's automatic window's up function doesn't work. Down still works and regular power windows still work, just won't automatically go without my finger on the switch.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #35
ellwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus

3. Driver's automatic window's up function doesn't work. Down still works and regular power windows still work, just won't automatically go without my finger on the switch.
i say give that one some time, once the weather warms up again i bet it'll start functioning again.
ellwa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #36
Caydus

Though isn't that just a bit on the concerning side? If that's the case, they did a pretty shockingly poor job of waterproofing the car.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #37
Fiestaman

Caydus - your point 1 about the noise - might pay to check under vehicle and inside engine bay for any sign of something not put back together right. I had a previous experience where the dealer left a wire unsecured which was rubbing on the alternator belt as well as leaving the oil cap off the engine when topping up - that was a mess!
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #38
Caydus

Had my mechanic look at it today. Looks like the problem was a bent disc brake backing plate that was only touching the rotors when it or the rotors expanded from heat.

He unbent it with a long handled flathead screwdriver and it seems to be gone.

Also, he reset the power windows by just pulling on the switch for up for a few seconds and now the window's back to full functionality.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #39
paulo7

That's amazing!!!!!!!!!

But on the other hand, there have always been amazing stories when it comes to cars!
Glad for you it could be fixed so easily.

Cheers
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #40
Caydus

Well, looks like another warranty problem came up.

Just had the car serviced yesterday and my mechanic spotted a leaky CV joint jacket on the driver side driveshaft.
Got grease sprayed all over the surrounding area of the undercarraige.

Back to the dealer I go again...
Old 21-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #41
Caydus

Took the car in for service yesterday and left it with them.

Looks like the problem came from the "spook" in the driver side CV shaft. Not exactly too sure what that is, the guy had a Kiwi accent.
But since they can't get the part separately, they're shipping in a complete CV Shaft from Melbourne overnight.

Should be getting the car back tomorrow *Fingers crossed*