Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #31
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

i put a clarion hu with aux/ipod compatibility in my au, still running stock speakers but the hu has loads of settings and i played around and it's made the 5x7's 10x better than when i had the original tape deck in. i'm buying a kenwood sub and amp next week and wont be changing the speakers. great thread because i don't know much about car audio and owning an au it's going to be very helpful.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #32
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

In my AU ute I had two setups...

First one was a JVC DVD with 7.5" screen, standard 5x7"s, 1 4 channel Kenwood amp and 1 12" Kenwood sub. Even with the standard 5x7"s amped the sub would still overpower them.

Second time round I ditched the DVD and went with a Kenwood CD unit (at the time was about $500), replaced the front speakers with 6" component splits (mounted with 10mm spacer) in behind the door trim, and had got hold of some A Pillar covers with the tweeter grill so that's where they went, bought another 2 channel amp and a second 12" Kenwood sub the same as the first one. That setup was a hell of alot better than the first time round.

If I can remember the brand of the 6" component splits I'll post it up.
Old 15-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #33
Bobman
Regulator

Also, some head units keep the electric antenna raised even with a CD in due to the wiring on them.

I have a Clarion HU and just disconnected the antenna wiring so it stays in it's hole.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #34
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So single vs double DIN, are they any good double DINS that suit the AU? Its hard with the shape of the fascia..is that why everyone went with a single?
I bought one of the ebay double din dvd/tv/gps/touch screen/all singing/all dancing units and must say the picture (watching dvd) was brilliant. The sound was crap.
There was a reason (I can't rem what) that I couldn't hook it up to my amp and the drop in sound quality through its own preamp was too big a price to pay for something which wouldn't get a lot of use (the visuals, that is).

The other problem was that I really didn't like the way the bottom protruded past the dash. Kumineko made a surround for his that was brilliant but not being that talented plus the sound q made me opt for a reasonable single din unit.
blackers10 bought a Kenwood (I think) double din touch screen at the same time I did and iirc he was very happy with all aspects of it.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #35
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Iv finally fitted up all mine now..
Just used my older Pioneer 5750 in the Aerpro Pocket thingo and the factory speakers for now.. Gettin the orig unit out was a pig of a job.
Im still enjoying radio Weezor more than MP3 tunes at the mo, so it will do for now till I decide what else to upgrade..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #36
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Also, some head units keep the electric antenna raised even with a CD in due to the wiring on them.

I have a Clarion HU and just disconnected the antenna wiring so it stays in it's hole.
Yes Pioneers do this. Donny did yours do it when you put it in?
Old 16-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #37
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Well I'm quite happy with my audio setup (see my signature below). I wanted a setup that matched the stock fittings so I didn't have to worry about spacers or lack of boot space etc. It's easily loud and punchy enough for me whilst driving, and yet you can't hear me coming from 2km away with subs blaring etc....My 50w 5x7 Fusions were only $40 a pair, but BFYB they are terrific. They are quite punchy and handle all music types with ease.

I got my 8" sub second hand, and it does the job really well! Phoenix Gold is an excellent old-school brand!

After having had my bluetooth-enabled headunit for a while now, I will never ever buy another HU that doesn't have bluetooth built in. I've set up my mobile to automaticaly pair with it when I start BT on it when I'm in the car - hey presto instant hands-free telephone that plays through the speakers! And if you have music on your phone (as I do), you can use it like an iPod as well! Bucketloads of win.

As far as places to get gear - I got my Fusion speakers from www.ryda.com.au - they have quite a lot of 5x7 speakers, and you can compare the specs as well! Postage wasn't too bad either!!
Old 16-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Dave your much like me, Im more into trying to keep it stock and clean as possible.

Got a pic of your HU and how it sits?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #39
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
I got my Fusion speakers from www.ryda.com.au - they have quite a lot of 5x7 speakers, and you can compare the specs as well! Postage wasn't too bad either!!
Ryda is a very reliable supplier. I've bought a few things from there - the latest was a heart monitor watch for our s-i-l's xmas pressie. Ordered and paid online lunchtime Monday and it arrived on our doorstep 10am Tues morning.
Hard to beat that from the comfort of your chair
Old 16-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #40
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yes Pioneers do this. Donny did yours do it when you put it in?
I didnt have a problem with this on mine..
On the wires out the back, apart from the usuals, there wasnt a seperate feed for electric ariels, only a illumination feed for dropping brightness when you turn on dash lights and a mute feed for a mobile phone hands free.
I tried the radio reception in the garage while wiring speakers up and its ok with the head deck out of the dash, and lousy with it fitted (ariel down), but I dont care about that as I never listen to the radio anyway, I only use CD's..

Bout the only other thing I may have to look at is the Aerpro kit dosent sit in the dash as tight or firm as Id have liked. You can wiggle it around a little, and I will see once I go out for a drive if it makes any noises or rattles etc.. I didnt put that thread bit and rubber boot thing on at the back either, and that may also help the fit and movement issue some.
The screw head mounting the headunit to the mount frame catches on the dash inner frame and was a bit tricky to fit too.. Apart from that, a fairly painless install compared to some Iv done in the past..

Old 16-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #41
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Bout the only other thing I may have to look at is the Aerpro kit dosent sit in the dash as tight or firm as Id have liked. You can wiggle it around a little, and I will see once I go out for a drive if it makes any noises or rattles etc.. I didnt put that thread bit and rubber boot thing on at the back either, and that may also help the fit and movement issue some.
The screw head mounting the headunit to the mount frame catches on the dash inner frame and was a bit tricky to fit too.. Apart from that, a fairly painless install compared to some Iv done in the past..
Did you go with the FP9140? Mine is perfect - doesnt move an inch.
Old 16-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #42
Donny

Yep I used the 9140 model..

Old 17-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #43
Donny

Heres a pic of the headunit fitted..

Old 17-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #44
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Dave your much like me, Im more into trying to keep it stock and clean as possible.

Got a pic of your HU and how it sits?
Taken from my build thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's build thread
APOLOGIES FOR THE POOR QUALITY PICS - CAMERA PHONES...ugh!

Stereo install:

Pioneer DEH-P7050BT headunit
Fusion EN-FR5720 fonr & rear speakers (50w RMS)
Fusion AM-6004 4 channel amp (for speakers) (4x75w RMS)
Phoenix Gold SW408 8" sub (120 - 150w RMS)
Boss Audio BA-2210 2 channel amp (for sub) (200w RMS)

Front door shot:

Headunit:

Amplifiers:

Parcel Shelf 1:

Parcel Shelf 2:

Now my installer actually cut out a small hole in the parcel shelf for the sub - and made a cool little cover for it - very impressive!

He also resprayed the rear speakers covers in Matt Black, as one of them had become very faded...

There is a little crease in the material that I can't get rid of, it would have been from when he glued the material to the wooden frame of the cover, but it's still a cool little addition!
Old 19-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #45
XR6SQ

Falcons have some pros and cons when it comes to installing a good sound system. I have a ute and as far as utes go it is great with all the room due to the supercab, im planning on doing a floor loaded sub-enclosure between the seats and should easily get a good 1.2 cubic feet of volume.

The one problem is fitting decent sized speakers in the doors due to the 5x7 holes, putting a spacer anything over 9mm thick (I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong) often results in the speaker surround and cone hitting the door trim/speaker grill.

I originally had some peerless 7 inch mids which deffinately did not want to fit in the door, this makes it difficult to get mid-range/mid-bass speakers on axis, for this reason I am considering going for a 3 way front stage and running mids and tweets in the a-pillars as there is plenty of room here.
Old 20-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #46
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

I just bought a set of these for the Fairlane: http://www.optionaudio.com.au/lcd_sc...oa72hrdvdv.php
A bargain at $599 with both being master screens, not a master and a slave, as i have seen for a lot more money.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #47
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguzzler
I just bought a set of these for the Fairlane: http://www.optionaudio.com.au/lcd_sc...oa72hrdvdv.php
A bargain at $599 with both being master screens, not a master and a slave, as i have seen for a lot more money.
We sell a lot of option audio gear at work, it is good stuff and very well priced for what you get.
Old 20-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #48
b2tf
not here much anymore

On another note i am DESPERATELY chasing a passenger side speaker grille for the door trim in black. If anybody has one please let me know?
Old 20-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #49
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6SQ
Falcons have some pros and cons when it comes to installing a good sound system. I have a ute and as far as utes go it is great with all the room due to the supercab, im planning on doing a floor loaded sub-enclosure between the seats and should easily get a good 1.2 cubic feet of volume.

The one problem is fitting decent sized speakers in the doors due to the 5x7 holes, putting a spacer anything over 9mm thick (I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong) often results in the speaker surround and cone hitting the door trim/speaker grill.

I originally had some peerless 7 inch mids which deffinately did not want to fit in the door, this makes it difficult to get mid-range/mid-bass speakers on axis, for this reason I am considering going for a 3 way front stage and running mids and tweets in the a-pillars as there is plenty of room here.

Well I am not sure on the exact measurements but not too long ago I had a lot of trouble fitting a set of Alpine Type R 5x7's. I ended up making up my own spacers which were thinner at the bottom where the window leans out towards the door skin. I also had to cut and sand back the speaker cover and the inside of the door trim. They have about 1-2mm clearance between the window and the same between the door trim and speaker surround.

Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #50
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
On another note i am DESPERATELY chasing a passenger side speaker grille for the door trim in black. If anybody has one please let me know?
I have one. Happy to do a swap for yours (assuming yours is cracked only and not smashed?). It will only cost you as pair of nudgebar brackets in addition.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #51
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguzzler
I have a set similar to that to go in mine (from Wednesday, I'm off for 2 weeks, so probably time to install them in something). Mine are a different brand and were half that price (eBay is your friend). I have each connected to each and a splitter for the LH one to go to my front screen as well. So each can play a video to their own unit, or the LH one can play to the RH one, or vice versa and whatever appears on the LH one goes to the front screen.

Only connection I couldn't do was front DVD to both rear screens (ran out of inputs on the rear screens - there is only 1).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 20-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #52
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

I made custom door pods using the standard speaker grills to run a pioneer 6 inch in my AU when i had it.

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
WAR40T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #53
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I have one. Happy to do a swap for yours (assuming yours is cracked only and not smashed?). It will only cost you as pair of nudgebar brackets in addition.
It is, only cracked in a spot but just enough to annoy me. Pics if you need it.

The rate I am going it is probably easier if I just bring the car over to you and we take the brackets off there and then. Might be the go.
Old 21-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #54
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6SQ
It's a bit of a fiddle if you want to mount deeper speakers. I made these spacers for the Hertz 6.5" splits I fitted. I then got Alpine Type X 6.5" and used the same spacers but had to open up the rebate a little. There's not much room between speaker and window at the back and speaker and grill at the front.... literally a few thou each side.
The spacers are 12mm MDF but I can't rem how deep the rebate is so would only be guessing the max spacer thickness without the rebate.

Old 21-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #55
ronwest

Found a couple more pics for this thread...

Hertz speakers in door

Umineko's double din surround (yes, he made it!)

My 12" Alpine subbie in custom box

Old 21-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #56
2002au
Define definitive

just picked up this for my xr6:
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #57
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
It is, only cracked in a spot but just enough to annoy me. Pics if you need it.

The rate I am going it is probably easier if I just bring the car over to you and we take the brackets off there and then. Might be the go.
LOL.

Mate, happy to do a swap of the door grilles then.

Also happy to do the bracket work. If you're in town betweeb now and 9 Jan, let me know (I'm off work that whole time).

Old 21-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #58
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
LOL.

Mate, happy to do a swap of the door grilles then.

Also happy to do the bracket work. If you're in town betweeb now and 9 Jan, let me know (I'm off work that whole time).
Yeah reckon I might be - I'm over there boxing day but doing the family thing all day so no go there. We'll arrange something.
Old 21-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #59
pulpist
nope!

Due to budget constraints atm I went with a Kenwood KDC 138 to replace the original headunit in the ute.

Fitted it up last weekend, but it looks a bit ordinary , so one of those Aeropro pockets looks like just the trick
pulpist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #60
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For anyone interested when I purchased my XR the six stacker was on the back seat and an after market deck was in it's place. I was keen to go back to the stock look (bit of a hack install job on the deck) but the stacker was shagged.... wouldn't take CDs and half of the lights were U/S. 430 dollars later after a few days at A1 in Perth it was back to it's original self. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the sound from the standard set up (small sub etc.) and it's still working fine although I don't think I'd spend that again if it dies. I am babying it as much as possible.

Cheers.