Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #31
DTFRMONT

I've got a prebious-gen 2gig nano, no probs so far. I mainly use it when I go off for rides on the bike (pushy). The new ones look pretty good, thinking of getting a 30-40 gig one to finally put all my CD's on.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #32
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
i got an ipod vidio but only used it for like 2 weeks as it was the new toy now it just sits around colecting dust, i found it a big wast of money
can i have it then?
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #33
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Got an Ipod Nano 2Gig...does the job
Old 04-12-2006, 03:48 AM   #34
Steffo
LPG > You

I lost the need for such devices when I got a car. No more using trains, no more being bored on trains, car can play music, and yeah.

I never got really advanced either. When everyone else had MP3 Players and such, I had an old discman.

Hell, most of the stuff I listen to is on cassette's, there's even some on old records. All this is too high-tech for me... haha.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 04:44 AM   #35
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I bought an Ipod and an Alpine CDA-9857 head unit when my 6-stacker chiatted itself. A big benefit is that I don't a a zillian CDs and covers floating aroud the car, and my entire music collection is accessable from the head unit.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #36
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I have a 1gig iPod shuffle. I would've preferred something like a 30gig but I got the shuffle for free so who am I to complain? ;) I love it! I'm starting to use it more often as well, weather I'm walking the dogs or listening to it in bed. I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #37
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

30 gig video ipod here and it is sensational. not one complaint.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #38
Paxton
Cobblers!

There are three iPods in my house - One is mine, and the other two belong to the Mrs. Her first one went swimming, but it is a Spare Parts one, with its HDD residing in mine.

My 3rd Generation is 3 years old, and hasn't missed a beat. I would recommend them to anyone.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #39
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Yeah i wouldnt go for an IPOD branded player, but a lot of people are drawn to the appearence/styling of them. Seeing as i have 2000 odd songs in WMA format on my PC, ive no intention of using an apple format... so i use the pda with windows mobile 5... nice and familiar, no effing around with ITUNES.

ITUNES is prob my biggest prob with the Ipod. Is there a way to use ipod without having to use itunes yet?

Quote:
I bought an Ipod and an Alpine CDA-9857 head unit when my 6-stacker chiatted itself. A big benefit is that I don't a a zillian CDs and covers floating aroud the car, and my entire music collection is accessable from the head unit.
These systems are very cool. Housemate has one and its pretty impressive. Ipod goes in the glovebox, head unit can navigate the ipod, show you what's playing etc etc.

But for car audio, i wouldnt rely on compressed music. MP3 is great for what it offers (good sound, small files) but its waaaaaaaaaaaaay below the CD in terms of sound quality.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #40
sleepa
Ghia all the way

if you don't really know whether you need an iPod then I'd say go for a shuffle. I've got a 512kb shuffle and I dig it. Plenty of tunes for my needs, small, light, battery life is awesome and they are cheap. I use mine at the gym, doing the shopping, washing the dishes, all over the place. You can pick up the older chewy packet shaped ones for around 50 bucks these days and places like Big W carry silicon skins for about $5 to protect it from the elements. Get one of them, use it for 6 months and if you love it you can then get one of the more expensive ones.

PS: I quite like iTunes, it's simple and it works.
sleepa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #41
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
But for car audio, i wouldnt rely on compressed music. MP3 is great for what it offers (good sound, small files) but its waaaaaaaaaaaaay below the CD in terms of sound quality.
Encoding the files properly using LAME and a decent bitrate makes a huge difference to SQ. You'd be hard pressed to pick the difference really.

Oh and if you don't want to use itunes there is a Winamp plugin
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #42
boss-290

I'm tempted to get the new generation 1gb iPod shuffle. But can you put songs that you download off like eMule and LimeWire, or do you need to buy the songs that you put in the iPod?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #43
sleepa
Ghia all the way

^^ You can use the downloaded songs no worries. Most of the time iTunes will handle any required conversions of file format.
sleepa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #44
boss-290

Ok.

So when you buy an iPod, do you get a CD called iTunes and you use that program to convert your songs into the iPod format so they will play on the player?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #45
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey,
I'm wanting to buy some new headphones for my ipod.
Im not after big ones, just little ones.
Thinking of getting the in ear headphones.
The type that like actually go in.
These types:

Ignore the price but are they any good?
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #46
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to download iTunes from the apple website now..

iTunes doesnt necessarily convert your music (unless its a WMA file) it's just needed because of the way that the iPod manages music files (allows transfer from your PC but not TO your PC) although there are ways around it.

I don't have issues with iTunes so thats what I use.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #47
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Yeah i wouldnt go for an IPOD branded player, but a lot of people are drawn to the appearence/styling of them. Seeing as i have 2000 odd songs in WMA format on my PC, ive no intention of using an apple format... so i use the pda with windows mobile 5... nice and familiar, no effing around with ITUNES.

ITUNES is prob my biggest prob with the Ipod. Is there a way to use ipod without having to use itunes yet?

These systems are very cool. Housemate has one and its pretty impressive. Ipod goes in the glovebox, head unit can navigate the ipod, show you what's playing etc etc.

I used to work at an Apple computer shop. I personally wrote off 5-10 iPods of various flavors A DAY. Reason being they are pathetically built. Once they are popped open, you might as well toss the offending product in the bin. That and the fact that they will not play anything without iTunes are what grinds my gears most about them.

Get another brand with better aftersales support should problems arise. You'll save a bit of money as well on purchase price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
You need to download iTunes from the apple website now..

iTunes doesnt necessarily convert your music (unless its a WMA file) it's just needed because of the way that the iPod manages music files (allows transfer from your PC but not TO your PC) although there are ways around it.

I don't have issues with iTunes so thats what I use.
iTunes is such a resource hog, that I consider it a virus and any system that comes into work with any software problems and has iTunes installed, I simply junk iTunes as a matter of procedure and you know what, 65% of the time, that actions solves whatever problem the customer had with the system. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Yes, I have serious issues with using iTunes.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:01 PM   #48
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

30MB RAM usage is hardly a resource hog, Firefox with 4x windows open uses 90MB! Also if you don't want to use iTunes then use Winamp with the iPod plugin, or one of the other MANY applications that are around.

And I've never had issues with iTunes or our 2 iPod's (both are over 2 years old).. the reason so many are returned is they sell so many of them (38million this year IIRC), and I'm sure a lot are to do with being abused, dropped etc which they arent really built to survive.

I'm sure if you compared returns for the Creative Players (which are dearer too!) the percentage returned for warranty would be fairly similar.

Im not defending apple here but seriously look at the big picture.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #49
McNugget
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by groops
I can back this up...and give evidence if people want it. I'm a tech for Harvey's and I can tell you now, I will get on average 1-2 Ipods back a day, in warranty, out of warranty that cannot be fixed by the 5 R's that Apple suggest on their website, most of them have faulty mainboards... There are plenty of other great products out on the market that are built better and last longer. Sony, Toshiba, LG, Creative. The funniest thing is that the lastest craze for the people that put the packaging together of the 'New generation' Ipods ia to leave out the headphones and/or the USB cable.

MG
I'd say the iPod is generally a very reliable product. The fact you get 1 or 2 in a day for warranty work is good considering 67,635,000 iPods have been sold worldwide since 2002, that's right... over 67 million units in 4 years. Work out how many iPods are sold each day and the warranty returns you mention seem pretty insignificant
McNugget is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #50
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ipod video here. Useful if you use it, but waste if you forgot u bought it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #51
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
can i have it then?
whats the offer
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #52
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I lost the need for such devices when I got a car. No more using trains, no more being bored on trains, car can play music, and yeah.

I never got really advanced either. When everyone else had MP3 Players and such, I had an old discman.

Hell, most of the stuff I listen to is on cassette's, there's even some on old records. All this is too high-tech for me... haha.
Let me know when you want that 8-track installed in the Fiesta.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #53
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Let me know when you want that 8-track installed in the Fiesta.
Can u fit a grammafone in the back too? :P

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #54
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
whats the offer
if you're serious about this, pm me...
i was joking, but i do want an ipod soonish so yeah.....if you're serious let me know...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #55
boss-290

My crappy Mp3 player eats batteries like crazy. I hate it so much, half way through your walk it will conk out on you.

Yep, time for a iPod.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I dont want to steal XRchic's thread but if I may borrow it for a minute....

We've bought our 9yo grandaughter a Creative Zen nano plus for Christmas. Now if I read the instructions right (which I doubt!) it seems that I (she) can plug a CD player into it and it rips and stores the music. If so this would eliminate the need for transferring music to the PC then ripping to MP3 and then transferring them to the player. I've not heard of this, am I reading the instructions right ?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #57
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

We've bought our 9yo grandaughter a Creative Zen nano plus for Christmas. Now if I read the instructions right (which I doubt!) it seems that I (she) can plug a CD player into it and it rips and stores the music. If so this would eliminate the need for transferring music to the PC then ripping to MP3 and then transferring them to the player. I've not heard of this, am I reading the instructions right ?

Your reading it right

Quote:
The ZEN Nano Plus comes complete with an FM tuner, Voice recording and line-in encoding for direct connection and recording from any audio source. Directly record your music from a CD player - no computers needed!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #58
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Your reading it right
Great, thanks Minge. I could see me spending Christmas day copying, ripping and transferring music. But not now!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #59
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

The only issue with this would be that with the computer ripping your CD's it can use an online database to determine the tracks on the CD. If you rip it straight to the Zen then you will probably have to edit the tracks using the computer anyway. Unless the Zen can connect to a database and determine the music tracks using only the ripped file, which I doubt.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #60
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Your reading it right
Don't expect the quality to remain though. You lose quality going from digital to analogue and then back to digital. Obviously it depends on the resolution of the DAC's and ADC's. I wouldn't rip music using this method.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post