Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford F-150 named 2012 Motor Trend Truck of the Year (Ecoboost the highlight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Boss, there's two trains of thoughts on the future of F150 with concerns centering on
the amount of overlap that exists between F150 and F250, the choices are:

1) merging F150 and F250 into one vehicle (F200) that covers around 80% of F truck sales.
This would make room For Americanized T6 Ranger called F100 to fit below the bigger truck..

2) Ford continues to lighten F150 while making it slightly shorter and narrower.
This reduces overlap with F250 and enables F150 to attack more of Tacoma's amrket.

It will be interesting to see which way Ford jumps with that one....
I thought they dropped the idea of bringing in an F100.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ford F-150 named 2012 Motor Trend Truck of the Year (Ecoboost the highlight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
It's like saying "why have Kuga when we have Territory, or for that matter Explorer." They're not exactly the same size are they. Why have Fiesta when there's a Focus, why have Mondeo when there's a Taurus?
Why have anything when there's a Falcon? And on, and on.

There's a market for each to suit different buyers, generally speaking.

If you reverse the question and say "why have F150 when Rangers so good" you would need to give yourself an uppercut, not because F150 may or may not be the better vehicle, but it (the F150) happens to the most popular vehicle in the USA for.. I've lost count of the years, and changing it's recipe is a recipe for disaster.

By the same token, the F150 would not do as well as the Ranger on a global scale, because guess where each is made, and pay attention to cost per unit. You want this here? People are complaining about the price of the Ranger as it is so I hope people can add two and two together and figure out how much more the F150 would be.

The best solution is to have both.
Couldn't they do what they did with the F250 they sold here? Build it to our spec in another country, I think they did it in Brazil when they did ours here, but they where junk versions compared to the real deal USA one.

The Fiesta came out in WS from Germany, then WT shifted to Thailand, LW Focus is starting out Germany then shifting to Thailand, why cant they do the F150 in Thailand as well to keep prices down?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The Fiesta came out in WS from Germany, then WT shifted to Thailand, LW Focus is starting out Germany then shifting to Thailand, why cant they do the F150 in Thailand as well to keep prices down?
No market for it outside the USA, the engines are too thirsty because it has no diesel.

IMO, Ford should make F150 and F250 as one vehicle (F200) to remove overlap and make space for Ranger below it.
Ford would then have over 80% of F Truck sales on one platform as well as a thriving global export program for the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I thought they dropped the idea of bringing in an F100.
Very touchy with UAW at the moment, Ranger plant is set to close this month,
perhaps a reasonable gap is needed to establish F150 down reach of Ranger buyers
before realising the error of not having a Ranger/F100 to compete with Tacoma and Colorado

Head of T6 Ranger project is on record as saying Ranger was designed with all US regs in mind.
but that Ford intends pursuing F150 sales there rather than worrying about T6 for now...

Last edited by jpd80; 14-12-2011 at 11:15 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #34
1TUFFUTE
Banned

when you look at the big picture here in aus its seems a stupid mistake to try selling f series here in aus when our sales share has been fastly moving toward small cars.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #35
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No market for it outside the USA, the engines are too thirsty because it has no diesel.
Didn't stop Ford with the Brazilian F250 though. The US version never had the MWM 4.2 I-6 or the Cummins 3.9 I-6 diesels. Ford could have chosen from a handful of diesels for an export F150. 2.7 V6, 3.0 V6, 3.2 I-5, 3.9 I-6, 4.4 V8 (which has already been tested in the F150).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #36
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

IMO, Ford should make F150 and F250 as one vehicle (F200) to remove overlap and make space for Ranger below it.
Ford would then have over 80% of F Truck sales on one platform as well as a thriving global export program for the US.
The F250 and F150 completely different vehicles, the F250s are part of what they call the superduty range and are essentially a commercial vehicle, you only need to compare the engine offerings (diesel and V10), payload and towing capacity to see this, it would be like saying mitsi Should can the Canter cos they have the triton.
In saying that you may have a point if the majority of F250 sales are for family haulers as opposed to workhorses, which I'm guessing is the case.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are F trucks !!! http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/f650-f750/