Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #1
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Fly Drones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
It looks like a 'home build' because it is a 'home build'...

...but that wasn't a disparaging or condescending remark was it?
It was an observation, but I guess these days saying that a black person is black is no loner an observation but is seen as racist, so I guess stating that a home build drone looks like a home build drone could by the same token be seen as disparaging or condescending.

Quote:
The issue is of course that if your DJI or Mavic breaks then you take it to a DJI or Mavic service centre and they give you copious butt-hurt in the wallet...mainly because they can. DJI and Mavic are the airborne equivalent of Apple.
Much like what most people do with their cars and most of their other stuff I guess.

Quote:
Something breaks on mine I pay $30 for a new part and away I go...
Much like what I have done with my cars for the last 30 plus years.

Quote:
They make excellent camera platforms for people who like to wish they can fly like a bird:

...and yeah some of the flying is pretty insane (and grossly illegal). Cool though and epic control.
Pretty good video to watch and awesome flying skill, but at the same time probably one of the reasons drone flying has been getting bad press lately in the general media.

And I guess the same people doing this stuff will then complain when drone flying gets heavily regulated and may be even banned in most places.

Still a good video to watch and I would hope it was filmed under controlled conditions.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Pretty good video to watch and awesome flying skill, but at the same time probably one of the reasons drone flying has been getting bad press lately in the general media.

And I guess the same people doing this stuff will then complain when drone flying gets heavily regulated and may be even banned in most places.

Still a good video to watch and I would hope it was filmed under controlled conditions.
I did say it was grossly illegal...well at least in Australia. Not sure what the rules are in the States, but ours are quite explicit. I very much doubt he was flying under controlled conditions...

I'm not condoning his actions, but I do admire the skill...especially where he was on one side of the train and did an inverted barrel roll to the other side and flew underneath a moving train

The way I see it it's horses for courses. If you want to fly around and basically sightsee then what you are looking at and what you have bought is ideal, especially if you have deep pockets.

If you like fiddling, experimenting, improving your skills, pushing the envelope of what is possible and punching holes in the sky then what Creative is doing is also valid.
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Interesting looking drone, looks like it's home build.

I would not call DJI drones crap, personally I think they are probably some of the best on the market for the price.

I just want to take my drone out of the box and fly it, I have no interest in stuffing around with it and building it.

Just because some people have a different level of interest does not make their interest crap.

I mean I like driving a 700hp Big Block, so may be your car is just crap because it's not a 700hp big block.
I would like to think the :p at the end would show it was tongue in cheek.

and my quad is indeed "homebuilt" and capable of 100kph, sometimes faster. Personally building it is half the fun, crashing it and rebuilding it just keeps the fun going! Speaking of which, need to do some repairs after bouncing off a few trees today. Think I have damaged some caps from prop strikes and getting terrible video feed now but it was great fun!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere

Last edited by creative; 04-08-2018 at 06:23 PM.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much flight time can you typically expect?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
How much flight time can you typically expect?
Too many factors, depends on weight and how many cells in your pack, what motors you're packing and how far away you plan on getting (in any direction). A lot of it will depend on peripherals too, your camera(s) and Rx/video transmitter.

I'm going to be using 3S packs (three LiPo cells in series, so 11.1V), but haven't flown yet as it's still a work in progress.

Creative (who is using 4S and is moving to 6S) and the OP could tell you what they get but it'll only be an indication and not any thing useful. In fact the OP's flight times should be pretty similar, the DJI drones aren't quick and nothing ever changes in setup...having said that the batteries are normally under-specced and the things are relatively heavy.

Generally if you fly like a pussy the drone will stay in the air longer too...but where's the fun in that?

Last edited by Ratmick; 04-08-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I would like to think the :p at the end would show it was tongue in cheek.
May be I am just too literal.

Quote:
and my quad is indeed "homebuilt" and capable of 100kph, sometimes faster. Personally building it is half the fun, crashing it and rebuilding it just keeps the fun going!
To me that would be a nightmare, I have absolutely no interest in building a drone, happy to pay the money to be able to just take it out the box and fly it.

Quote:
Speaking of which, need to do some repairs after bouncing off a few trees today. Think I have damaged some caps from prop strikes and getting terrible video feed now but it was great fun!
Great that you can fix it yourself, but I neither have the skill or the interest to do so. If/when mine breaks it will go in for repair or replacement.

My first drone is already gone and sold (Syma Drone) as I have upgraded to my current one (DJI Spark), will probably upgrade again in the future, but I think I will always keep the little 'Spark' its just too handy, and lives in a hard case in the boot of my car since I bought it.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are areas over this part of the world, drone survival is very short lived, one goes up its usually down very quickly and with, usually terminal damage from lead projectiles. Something to do with whats been grown on the ground under natural shade as so I have been informed by the local constabulary.
They are very aware of the happenings and antics of all involved.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
flightstrike

For those interested. Here’s the rules for flying Drones. It’s all enforced through the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). https://droneflyer.gov.au

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

My young bloke does Digital Video Production mainly with Motor Bike racing. The Drones are probly about 30% of his work now..........
http://6hd.com.au/project/2017-yeppo...urox-coverage/
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #10
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I had a AR.Drone2, I was one of the first poeple with one, pre-ordered it.

It was a bit...underwhelming.

I gave it to my #2 son.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
creative
I am Batman

not seen those rubber spacers before... interesting idea, not really needed, but interesting.

I have a frame that i needed to remove all the plugs from the fc to get it to fit, a proper lowrider! that was an interesting build! Looking forward to building the 6s rig though. (thats 6s battery, not 6inch frame) Smaller mah but longer flight times.

Definately upgrade the gimbals. I run a m9-r on the throttle and a normal m9 on the other. Wouldnt change it for anything now.

what rx and vtx and fc you using?

and added to the group. Ask as many daft questions as you want there as thats what the group is for!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #12
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
not seen those rubber spacers before... interesting idea, not really needed, but interesting.

I have a frame that i needed to remove all the plugs from the fc to get it to fit, a proper lowrider! that was an interesting build! Looking forward to building the 6s rig though. (thats 6s battery, not 6inch frame) Smaller mah but longer flight times.

Definately upgrade the gimbals. I run a m9-r on the throttle and a normal m9 on the other. Wouldnt change it for anything now.

what rx and vtx and fc you using?

and added to the group. Ask as many daft questions as you want there as thats what the group is for!
Thanks, great stuff

Rx is a FrSky XSR.
VTX is a TBS Unify Pro 5G8 HV.
FC is a Mateksys F405-AI0 (FC and PDB in one).

I am starting off with 3S packs...

I started off in Electronics back in the '80s. I was a tech in the Defence Force and then got into IT. Did some RC stuff before I had kids in the early 90s, cannot believe how unbelievably small everything is now...

...and comparatively it's cheap as chips

The main issue I have is I live 80km from Melbourne CBD and there are no decent hobby shops. Everything is mail order...

Secondary issue is that due to staring at screens for 30+ years my eyes have had enough and I am now long-sighted and wear glasses. FPV goggles don't accommodate long-sighted people very well, I have FatShark Transformer HD goggles that should be adjustable enough for me to get away with my glasses underneath (they work ok around the house)...

...either that or I get used to contacts.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Thanks, great stuff

Rx is a FrSky XSR.
VTX is a TBS Unify Pro 5G8 HV.
FC is a Mateksys F405-AI0 (FC and PDB in one).

I am starting off with 3S packs...

I started off in Electronics back in the '80s. I was a tech in the Defence Force and then got into IT. Did some RC stuff before I had kids in the early 90s, cannot believe how unbelievably small everything is now...

...and comparatively it's cheap as chips

The main issue I have is I live 80km from Melbourne CBD and there are no decent hobby shops. Everything is mail order...

Secondary issue is that due to staring at screens for 30+ years my eyes have had enough and I am now long-sighted and wear glasses. FPV goggles don't accommodate long-sighted people very well, I have FatShark Transformer HD goggles that should be adjustable enough for me to get away with my glasses underneath (they work ok around the house)...

...either that or I get used to contacts.
i run the xsr, great receiver. I also run the tbs unify race. had issues with the HV overheating so went beck to the race and had no issues since.
not a fan of Matek fc's. Some of the guys I fly with love them but I have never got on with them. I run the betaflight f4.

Skip 3s, you will out grow it very quickly. Just go straight to 4s and turn your rates down a bit.

I also wear glasses but have diopters in my Dom v3's. Will be getting a set of ROH prescription inserts for them soon.

As for online ordering... www.phaserfpv.com.au My mates shop and my local. Get 90% of my stuff from him. You wont be disappointment with the service.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #14
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
i run the xsr, great receiver. I also run the tbs unify race. had issues with the HV overheating so went beck to the race and had no issues since.
not a fan of Matek fc's. Some of the guys I fly with love them but I have never got on with them. I run the betaflight f4.

Skip 3s, you will out grow it very quickly. Just go straight to 4s and turn your rates down a bit.

I also wear glasses but have diopters in my Dom v3's. Will be getting a set of ROH prescription inserts for them soon.

As for online ordering... www.phaserfpv.com.au My mates shop and my local. Get 90% of my stuff from him. You wont be disappointment with the service.
I did try the PhaserFPV site as I have ordered stuff from them before.

Alas they didn't have gimbals listed, except two second hand ones that look to be out of a X9D (your old ones?).

The diopters you buy for goggles all seem to be for short-sighted people and are all negative values (for example these).

My glasses are positive diopter...I think +2.

I haven't seen any positive diopter inserts and I can't see jack close-up without my glasses.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #15
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
I did try the PhaserFPV site as I have ordered stuff from them before.

Alas they didn't have gimbals listed, except two second hand ones that look to be out of a X9D (your old ones?).

The diopters you buy for goggles all seem to be for short-sighted people and are all negative values (for example these).

My glasses are positive diopter...I think +2.

I haven't seen any positive diopter inserts and I can't see jack close-up without my glasses.
thats why I get 90% from him. Other is shop I use is www.nextfpv.com.au then I turn to America for anything I cant get here.

Yeah, prescription is the way to go. They arent cheap but worth it if your serious about the hobby.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #16
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Done, bright red ones on order
Old 03-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #17
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

...found the ROH Supplier in Germany.

This might be the only way forward for me, long-term anyway.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #18
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

So are the inserts for FatShark always the same size?

Would hate to pay $100-odd for a pair of prescription dioptres and the next set of new-and-improved goggles you buy they don't damn well fit...

Fatsharks are not cheap as it is without adding an extra $100 on every pair you buy
Old 04-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #19
creative
I am Batman

they are indeed. The Doms in all their guise use the same case.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #20
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I'd love a drone but it's not practical inner city and probably not fair on the neighbours either. I'd just end up hitting the power lines and crash landing it into someone's car.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

How much flying time (range) do these things have?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
How much flying time (range) do these things have?
How long is a piece of string?

Your question is the equivalent of asking how fast does a car go.

Depends on your drone, and what you are doing.

Mine gets about 14-16 minutes of flying time per battery (I have three batteries) and the furtherest I have dared to take it is about 1km away but advertised range is 2km.

If you buy a Phantom Pro, they have about 30 minutes of flight time, and up to 7km range.

Not sure about these racing drones as they seem to be custom build.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 08-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #23
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Received and installed the M9 and M9R gimbals today.

I didn't actually think they'd make much difference but they do...and I haven't worked out why yet.

I've been whizzing around the various tracks on FPVFreerider and found even on the easiest track it was hard to be stable enough close to the ground to make it through the gates...and the gates are huge.

Using the easy 'The Meadow' track I was lucky to make it around once, even on lower rates and auto-levelling.

I just made it round five and a half times until I hit a gate

Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #24
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:

I didn't actually think they'd make much difference but they do...and I haven't worked out why yet.

I've been whizzing around the various tracks on FPVFreerider and found even on the easiest track it was hard to be stable enough close to the ground to make it through the gates...and the gates are huge.

Using the easy 'The Meadow' track I was lucky to make it around once, even on lower rates and auto-levelling.

I'm a bit confused about gymbal's now. I Googled the word, and it comes up as:

Quote:
a device for keeping an instrument such as a compass or chronometer horizontal in a moving vessel or aircraft, typically consisting of rings pivoted at right angles.
I Googled the M9 and M9R Gymbal, and it appears to be joystick controls for the transmitter.

So, is that stability control, to remove human error at the input?
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #25
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post

I Googled the M9 and M9R Gymbal, and it appears to be joystick controls for the transmitter.

No stability control mate, that is in the software of the simulator (and in the Flight Controller settings in the case of a real drone)...

In the 'olden days' the gimbals/gymbals would have two potentiometers connected via a linkage to each control stick to give a X and Y axis and they would have been purely mechanical devices prone to wearing out as the tracks inside the pots wore away over time due to the constant movement of the wiper arm.

The original gimbal (I'll use the spelling the manufacturer uses) may have been a resistance device, I can't actually tell without pulling the thing apart...and I don't want to as they're now 'spares'

They're mostly plastic and quite complicated and give 30 degrees of movement in each direction from centre (so 60 degrees in total). They're spring-loaded to return to centre but in the case of the throttle (on the left on my transmitter as I fly Mode 2) the spring is disabled/removed and the 'zero' position in now bottom middle. You can also engage a micro-ratchet on the throttle for 'feel'.

The ones I have just put in are Hall Effect sensor devices so not mechanical...to a degree. The pivots have ball-bearing races instead of a greased metal sleeve, plus they're made of aluminium and not plastic so 'feel' better. The throttle (on the M9R) is now 45 degree throw instead of 60 degrees. This gives better throttle response, as you go from nothing to full power in less movement...this may be what is making it 'easier' for me to fly.

FWIW Mode 2 is meant to be easier for helicopters, apparently it's not that common in Australia.

Mode 2:
Left Stick is:
Throttle (which controls up/down in a drone)
Yaw (horizontal spin around a vertical axis)

Right stick is:
Pitch (tilt forward and back)
Roll (tilt side to side)

...slightly different to a fixed wing aircraft:

Throttle is still throttle but controls forward movement.
Yaw would be rudder
Pitch would be elevator
Roll would be ailerons

That still makes sense in my head so would probably leave it

The gimbals in my Taranis Transmitter can be either so the radio is interchangeable Mode 1/Mode 2.

Last edited by Ratmick; 09-08-2018 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Added Stuff
Old 10-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post

I think yanks call gimbals what the rest of the world calls a gyro(scope)

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #27
creative
I am Batman

Quote:

Pincher or thumber?

The M9r has a shorter throw which means you have less movement for the same amount of resolution. It allows you to reach full deflection with minimal finger movement. The gimbals themselves are alot smoother which also helps with accuracy.

Up until Frsky came out with the M9 hall effect gimbals the go to set were the Aurora gimbals. Still very mechanical but the components were better made which translated to a better quality gimbal and feel. The issue with the Aurora's was availability. You could only get them maybe once or twice a year. I have a Taranis here with them in but never used them as the M9's came out before I received them ( took 8 months to get mine!)

one day I may use that radio and fly them but I just prefer the M9r and M9's!

Last edited by creative; 09-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #28
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Pincher or thumber?

The M9r has a shorter throw which means you have less movement for the same amount of resolution. It allows you to reach full deflection with minimal finger movement. The gimbals themselves are alot smoother which also helps with accuracy.
Thumber I think you'd call me...the ends of the sticks are sharp.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #29
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Thumber I think you'd call me...the ends of the sticks are sharp.
yep. Alot of people put umbrella stick ends on. Im Hybrid, so I have my thumb on top but still part pinch and have really short stick length. Thats why the M9r was such a massive improvement for me as I struggled to reach full deflection before I got that.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #30
creative
I am Batman

My new frame is on its way so started to prep the flight controller and the escs.

I like to build from the center out so all these wires will be cut to size once I mount them.

3 users like this post: