The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #31
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Test drove an XR6T and SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
So let me get this straight, you hate the FG because it doesn't have the 'goodies' that holden does. But you hate the Taurus because its not a falcon? I kinda hope the Taurus does replace the Falcon. Slap an eco boost V8 into it and then no-one will be able to complain. Well except the fact that it wont be a falcon, but who cares right? No-one wants the thing as it is.

Here's a model line up for the mass, not the fans.

Fiesta
Focus
Mondeo
Taurus
Ranger

That'll do. Ford can be an import company, stop wasting money trying to provide a product to the public, that the public doesn't want apparently. What they save on Falcon/Territory they can put into new coffee mugs at Ford HQ.

My point is, what is the point in throwing good money after bad. Is there a business case for a billion dollar update on something that's currently selling 1300 per month?

I firmly believe this is only temporary, but come onto this forum and even the fans cant stop slagging off a fantastic car, all because of.....I don't know, some dire hatred because its not an EB or a BF? I don't understand you people, I'm trying but I just don't get you.

Also, what was everyones excuse for not buying a new FG XR8 when it was brand new in 2008? You know, when Holden didn't have a touch screen and thus your point that Holden was miles ahead is null and void?

One reason for not buying a FG in 2008, is because you become Fords beta tester. The car will have faults and you know Ford won't do a dam thing to fix your car. That fix is in next years model, so go buy that will be the official answer, implied or told outright by your friendly Ford dealer. Lots of people including me are well and truly over that new model experience.

Yes Ford fans are very critical - perhaps to much. I suspect a lot of it is to do with a company that lets down its fans over and over again and doesn't change.
Old 13-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This topic has been done to death in the XR8 thread.

Ford stop V8 production because of emissions, they choose to go the FPV route which is better than dropping it all together...fine.

But why would someone buy a FG XR8 as it was? Really give us an answer other than "it's a ford v8 isn't it"? Consumers just don't care any more, they want the best car for there money.

When the SS is cheaper, drives better as far performance goes (not nvh etc), because remember that's the primary reason people buy them then it's easy to see why it's not around. The fairlane died be use the opposition killed it, there was no incentive to buy one unless you were one eyed. Agreed though even the caprice doesn't sell in large numbers.

The XR8 ute was a good seller for what it was and that was solely because fords ute rep was carrying it.

Falcman I have never seen GMH publicly state that they sell cheap for volume even though their strategy is obvious.

The GS might be a cracker buy at $56k or whatever it is....but it's pretty basic compared to the SSV. We live in a society were speed or driving enjoyment is being killed and people seem to think a cracker engine will save the day, it's just not so.

It's the same issue regarding the general sales performance of the falcon vs commodore...people seem to be concerned about form over function.
Well, they have publicly stated so. If I can be bothered later to find you a link, I will.
This topic has been done to death in any thread some wish to raise it in. The emissions killed the 5.4, not the V8. The decision to replace the XR8 with the GS was at the last hour, rightly or wrongly. Effectively this means the GS "is" the XR8.
Anyway.... due to that 0.5% of driving time being at the limit, where the SS has that advantage, some completely dismiss the XR8 as totally inferior.

To answer your question; if you weren't around in 2008 when the FG obliterated the VE in every aspect then it's time you did the research.
Old 13-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well some people are never satisfied,in the end Ford is a business if you were running a business that wasn't moving a product,would you keep making it.
Answer...NO your losing money.
Did Ford take a handout when things were bad for the car game awhile back,I don't think they did unlike Holden and Mitsubishi and others.
Ford took hard decisions and traded their way out.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 13-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #34
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Well some people are never satisfied,in the end Ford is a business if you were running a business that wasn't moving a product,would you keep making it.
Answer...NO your losing money.
Did Ford take a handout when things were bad for the car game awhile back,I don't think they did unlike Holden and Mitsubishi and others.
Ford took hard decisions and traded their way out.
Exactly. Fact is Holden was as dead as a doornail, making no profits for four or five years and needed $200m under the table to remain in business (they got sprung later). In other words, all those SS' they sold at a loss we (the taxpayers) had to pay for eventually. Yes, there's nothing unethical about that at all.
Old 13-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #35
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Whats wrong with a GS? Too expensive says the fans. Well save more, budget for it and get something special. No, sit back and whinge that ford don't make the car you want anymore because you are the loud minority who don't buy new cars anyway.
I don't think affordability is necessarily the problem, it's what you get for the amount of coin.
I think if Ford and FPV want to compete with the SS/V, the GS should come standard with GT wheels & stripes, and XR leather. Also Brembos should be optional.

The wheels and stripes scream FPV and would better integrate the GS into the FPV family/separate it from the masses of XR6 family cruisers,, the XR leather would lift the interior, and optional Brembos could complete the performance package (for a lot of people).
Old 13-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #36
LightningStrike

I don't blame you for looking at an SS.

FFS, the Thunder edition that is out at the moment is loaded and presents good value. For me to replace my XR6T Lux/tech with a new one for under $50k would take some work.........or I rock into any red dealer and they have Thunder SS's (leather, 19's, touch screen etc) on the floor ready to go for $40K before haggling for a manual.

(Having said that, I only just missed an ex demo 50th in Sunburst for low 30's - that would have been a buy!!)

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
Old 13-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #37
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
I don't think affordability is necessarily the problem, it's what you get for the amount of coin.
I think if Ford and FPV want to compete with the SS/V, the GS should come standard with GT wheels & stripes, and XR leather. Also Brembos should be optional.

The wheels and stripes scream FPV and would better integrate the GS into the FPV family/separate it from the masses of XR6 family cruisers,, the XR leather would lift the interior, and optional Brembos could complete the performance package (for a lot of people).
The GS does come with stripes...

Leather is optional (I would assume because a lot of people don't necessarily want their bum sticking to the seats in summer...)

Brembo's are race brakes...why do you need them on a car that doesn't require them, except for the 'jerk off' factor...?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 13-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #38
BHDOGS
Banned

I spose the way i look at it is if you wouldnt buy something thats a tad off what u want because you can get something that is but its not what u like then your not a true fan flame me if you want but you cant proclaim to be blue blood when you buy the opposition then sit back and curse why ford dont work at a loss like holden have for years to give you an extra inch on your in-car tv screen im generalizing ofcourse.
Old 13-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #39
Chopped
as in chopped

If the SS tickles your fancy, BUY IT. It's pretty simple, why buy something that you don't want (XR6T) just to please the so called "faithful".

FACT : The sound of a V8 is addictive.

IMO the VE SS looks tough with a nice set of deep dish rims and a drop in height.

On a side note, I think both the XR6T and SS would benefit from having a more agrressive look than the basic XR6/SV6 hire car.
Old 13-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #40
BlueEA

Hi all,
I'm a new member here & i've been a Ford man the best part of 40yrs & have had my present car EA 'S' since 1992 & it has been a great reliable daily drive car. But i'm now looking to move on hence my reply to this thread.I too have looked at & driven these cars mentioned from both stables & found that the SS & even the Maloo Ute look much more aggressive & cabin layout seems IMO more user friendly.The XR6T is an awesome ride but having had a GT earlier in my life you just can't beat the V8 for it's sound & smooth power.Being true to the Blue Oval can be a bit hard at times when what suits your needs is not always there in your preffered stable.I agree with other members posts that there is a gap in Fords lineup that seriously needs to be addressed.Having said that though,there are some very nice GT/GTP's out there for a very reasonable price.
Old 13-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
theboxmike

Doesn't the SS have 260kw? I'm pretty sure it has less torque with AFM as well.
Old 13-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #42
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whats wrong with a GS? Too expensive says the fans. Well save more, budget for it and get something special.
So the solution to poor value is to ask people to pay anyway?
Old 13-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #43
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
So the solution to poor value is to ask people to pay anyway?
The GS & SS-V are comparable in price with the GS performing better, but the SS-V apparently have better interior aesthetics (we won't go into the exterior, because the SS-V will lose)...where is the poor value...?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 13-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #44
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
If the SS tickles your fancy, BUY IT. It's pretty simple, why buy something that you don't want (XR6T) just to please the so called "faithful".

FACT : The sound of a V8 is addictive.

IMO the VE SS looks tough with a nice set of deep dish rims and a drop in height.

On a side note, I think both the XR6T and SS would benefit from having a more agrressive look than the basic XR6/SV6 hire car.
agreed, they need to distance the performance models from the sporty base models. A more aggressive kit would do it.
Old 13-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #45
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEA
Hi all,
I'm a new member here & i've been a Ford man the best part of 40yrs & have had my present car EA 'S' since 1992 & it has been a great reliable daily drive car. But i'm now looking to move on hence my reply to this thread.I too have looked at & driven these cars mentioned from both stables & found that the SS & even the Maloo Ute look much more aggressive & cabin layout seems IMO more user friendly.The XR6T is an awesome ride but having had a GT earlier in my life you just can't beat the V8 for it's sound & smooth power.Being true to the Blue Oval can be a bit hard at times when what suits your needs is not always there in your preffered stable.I agree with other members posts that there is a gap in Fords lineup that seriously needs to be addressed.Having said that though,there are some very nice GT/GTP's out there for a very reasonable price.
Welcome to the nuthouse all care is taken to ensure the inmates don't get to hostile.
Seriously welcome this is a great site with lots of friendly helpful people.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 13-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #46
adamRSLC

Im sorry , ill have to disagree with the OP . Ive came from a 06 ssv auto to a FG xrt auto and for me its a no contest . The commo auto is quite poor as it seems to select the incorrect gear most of the time , takes ages to shift from 1 to 2 when on the loud pedal and gets confussed when trying to kick down in drive . Classic case for me was merging onto to freeway at 80km/h , couldnt merge as was blocked in so planted it and the stupid thing went to 1st , smacked straight into the limiter which cut the engine so auto upshifted to 4th !! and bogged until it went back to 2nd .

The A piller blind spot is a safety concern and they have done nothing to fix it , try going around a roundabout or tight right corner and spot on coming cars . The L98's whilst being a good engine are prone to lifter noise and expect 16l-18l per 100 km in the city .

Falcon goes better , drinks less , turns in better and has a nicer interior only down fall is the rear end traction .

adam
Old 13-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #47
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
The GS & SS-V are comparable in price with the GS performing better, but the SS-V apparently have better interior aesthetics
The GS is $58k. Holden's offering at that price point is the (just under) $58k SS-V Redline.

The SS-V redline gets brembos, colour touchscreen interface, satnav, CD-rip with onboard storage for 15 CDs, side AND curtain airbags (GS only has curtain), reverse parking sensors, reverse camera, leather seat trim, dual zone air con.

As an overall package, the SS-V redline is a way better proposition for the average buyer.
Old 13-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #48
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamRSLC
Im sorry , ill have to disagree with the OP . Ive came from a 06 ssv auto to a FG xrt auto and for me its a no contest . The commo auto is quite poor as it seems to select the incorrect gear most of the time , adam
Your are talking about a 5 year old car there, haven't they improved the transmissions in the commodores as of late?
Old 13-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #49
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

GS gets you more than 260rwkw, and a decent auto.

The SSV gets you 260kW, and an inferior auto.

You can buy most of the options found in the SSV for a GS, but can you buy the power in the GS for the SSV? No, you can't.

It's unfortunate some here are of the glass-half-empty variety. For the power you get in a GTS, less than 260rwkw, I think the GS is a great bargain.
Old 13-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #50
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
GS gets you more than 260rwkw, and a decent auto.

The SSV gets you 260kW, and an inferior auto.

You can buy most of the options found in the SSV for a GS, but can you buy the power in the GS for the SSV? No, you can't.

It's unfortunate some here are of the glass-half-empty variety. For the power you get in a GTS, less than 260rwkw, I think the GS is a great bargain.
But that's the point. It's not all about the power. For 95% of people 260kw is plenty, then it becomes the luxury appointments which sell a car. Frankly something the Commodore simply outclasses the Falcon in.
Old 13-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #51
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something like this could save you from the DARK SIDE it's basicially brand new just with an older built date hope links are allowed here it is http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/demo/details.aspx?Cr=3&R=8997329&keywords=&trecs=420&__ Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1 ||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=13 07AF2378C9&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294966285 4294966463 4294933212&silo=1011
Old 13-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #52
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
But that's the point. It's not all about the power. For 95% of people 260kw is plenty, then it becomes the luxury appointments which sell a car. Frankly something the Commodore simply outclasses the Falcon in.
Really? So when Ford had the better appointments in the XR8 we whinged that it didn't have enough power (when it actually did). It's a two way street unless you're driving in the right direction on AFF where you're told to move over for the lunatic driving in the opposite direction.
Old 13-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #53
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?
The sales figures dont lie, and in the end, that's the only thing that counts.
Old 13-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #54
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
The sales figures dont lie, and in the end, that's the only thing that counts.
As I said earlier, Holden will sell at a loss, so, no, it doesn't really count for much when they'll start looking for another bailout.

Edit. I am wrong; what does Government Motors Holden care if it's not their money, so, yes, it's a good ploy after all.
Old 13-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #55
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Hasn't happened yet. Really the test drives were a bit premature as I don't have all my ducks lined up but you just never know what tomorrow brings.

My Coupe will always remind me of where my heart is at.

Interesting........ I assumed they'd all be gone by now. A test drive of an XR8 could be in order.

I may end up going the second hand route.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far with good humor and helpful comments. Just shows what a great forum this is.
I was reading the thread, and took a look myself

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...7C0&D=FG%20XR8
Old 13-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #56
stevz
Banned

Quote:
As I said earlier, Holden will sell at a loss, so, no, it doesn't really count for much when they'll start looking for another bailout.

Edit. I am wrong; what does Government Motors Holden care if it's not their money, so, yes, it's a good ploy after all.

Here we go again, whip out the usual rubbish.

Got any evidence that Holden sells at a loss?
Old 13-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #57
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back to the topic - good luck if you get the SS. It sounds great, and that will be great for you to listen to when the xr6t in the next lane blows you into the weeds, uses less fuel, and doesn't attract bogan chicks like flies...
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 13-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #58
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Really? So when Ford had the better appointments in the XR8 we whinged that it didn't have enough power (when it actually did).
exactly. you only need to go back earlier in this thread and people whinge about how ford have never had a v8 good enough to match the general. apparently those few tenths of a second over the 1/4 are very important. (i don't know anyone that holds their foot flat for 400m on the street). now that ford do offer a decent v8 (not that i think they weren't decent before), everyone says the 'package' is more important, not just a fast engine!! many will just keep coming up with excuses not to buy a ford, which they were never going to buy in the first place.

at the moment, ford are close to an upgrade, whilst holden have already implemented their upgrade, so its just poor timing if you are looking to buy right now, and ****y thinks like touchscreens tickle your fancy.
Old 13-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #59
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Test drove an XR6T and SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Back to the topic - good luck if you get the SS. It sounds great, and that will be great for you to listen to when the xr6t in the next lane blows you into the weeds, uses less fuel, and doesn't attract bogan chicks like flies...
He is not after power,he is after a car that is better for him/requirements.

Back on topic
Old 13-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #60
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Here we go again, whip out the usual rubbish.

Got any evidence that Holden sells at a loss?
Holden said it themselves. When I'm bothered I'll find the link.