Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #31
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Sparesbox - Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Operating as LynFord at their same Welshpool site, they are also a good and usually cheaper than the [other] dealer sources for OEM Ford Falcon parts; I often source them there. They even note on their website https://www.amcap.com.au/automotive-parts-distribution/
as I said OE distribution channels, that incl sourcing OE parts as you have done.

Isn't the discussion talking about Independants Resellers and sourcing aftermarket product.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 11:21 AM   #32
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think the phone has crashed three times while attempting to reply, not sure if that’s inditement of Apple or the thread, or my fat fingers. So I will post this much, and add to it by successive edits.

Thanks Franco, for letting me know about Empowered. Shame about that.

As to the question of why I did not seek out Race Brakes, it was my impression they were focused on actual performance applications, whereas my choice was “functional, with enhanced cosmetics”. If I had any other reasons for choosing slotted and drilled rotors, it would be a hedge against needing to claim on a third party’s insurance, supporting the idea of a vehicle proactively maintained to a “higher than average” standard. I am totally happy to hear from the above member, though.

Having driven “oddball” cars for a number of decades, I developed a dislike for Ateco’s parts pricing and an expectation that nearly any repair would take time exceeding that of a dinkum Aussie blokemobile. You adapt to long-distance purchases, learn to write in other languages and savour the joy at driving a special car when it’s back on the road for a sane amount. I do sometimes support a local independent for Euro stuff, mostly consumables and the odd control systems component.

Also, I support other independent businesses in related fields for my car hobby. Fabrication, metal finishes, blasting, paint supplies, wrecking all pop up often enough. I’d spend more on panel shops if they didn’t want it both ways - complaining about how hard it is to work on insurance jobs for peanuts, then want to charge out simple private jobs at a mega premium.

To return to the original parts mentioned in the thread, my ideal path here is a certain amount spent on the consumables and this (saving) offsets powder coating the calipers and their carriers - which is done by an independent business. … I think this wraps up my series of edits.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 14-07-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #33
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

Hey T3, nothing like a search giving you peace of mind, much like wiki its true.
You've suggested people "wake up". I'm seeking more info to be woken. That hasn't helped enlighten me one bit. Thanks anyway.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #34
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Isn't the discussion talking about Independants Resellers and sourcing aftermarket product.
They also sell aftermarket parts. Not just AC-Delco parts as advertised but regular consumables like filters, oil and spark plugs or various common brands.

Last edited by aussiblue; 14-07-2022 at 12:01 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
So Franco Cozzo who are the independent in WA? Would you count Amcap https://www.amcap.com.au/ even though they are part of the AHG group? Obviously not Covs now they are part of the NAPA Group.
Veale Auto Parts - the guy is an absolute juggernaut with 10+ stores, you guys in WA have been supporting him so much that BAPCOR and GPC Asia Pacific have really struggled to get a hold over WA - keep up the good work

http://vealeautoparts.com.au/

They have 17 stores in Perth, this guy sets the standard that the others have to follow.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 12:43 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Last 12 months ebay feedback:
81,025 positive
1,552 neutral
1,791 negative

Still seems to be doing alright overall.

What exactly is a local independent? I see local chains, but hardly any "independents" automotive parts providers. Or if I do, they are usually seated in the industrial areas with a front store on ebay anyways.
Family owned business, my local auto parts store sells ACDelco, Supercharge batteries real cheap, same cheap prices I was selling batteries for 7 years ago.

Carries a massive range on Penrite on the shelf and it's cheaper than SCA, Burson, Repco.

They've been here for 40 years, the old bloke who owns it is on his last legs I reckon though but his son has been there for 20+ years.

The only insult I want to level is that because they don't use computers they only give you EFTPOS receipt rather than a nice A4 invoice but I'm happy with the price.

They also stock a heap of stuff for oldskool cars, Windsor, Cleveland engine parts et al.

Basically what happens when a BAPCOR/GPC Asia Pacific chain opens up in town, they'll run the store at a loss until the local independent is run out of town, once they're gone the prices go through the roof.

They also capitalise on data from trade and retail customers buying from them, they're huge on data analytics, they build a picture of vehicle on road by a suburb by suburb basis from all the trade customers buying from and the stock in their stores caters to the cars on the road in the suburb, that's why they always seem to have stock of common replacement parts for every car that comes in your workshop.

With their online systems and so many delivery runs, they make it so easy to buy from them.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-07-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 14-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #37
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Family owned business, my local auto parts store sells ACDelco, Supercharge batteries real cheap, same cheap prices I was selling batteries for 7 years ago.
How do ordinary consumers come to know about these stores? I look up "automotive parts" in my area, and its all the big chains that pop up.

There isn't much "word of mouth" anymore, cos most people don't swing a spanner at home any longer but rather just throw the car into the mechanics.

The few "independent" stores I know happen to be stores I have actually stumbled across through sites like ebay and FB market place, and you only know about it when you do a local pickup, and even then, you don't know if they are truly indies. I'm not about to ask about their company structure when picking up a fuel filter

I actually quite enjoy walking in and exploring the non chain stores, where you are not bombarded with tags and stickers, loud music and bright lights.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 14-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
How do ordinary consumers come to know about these stores? I look up "automotive parts" in my area, and its all the big chains that pop up.

There isn't much "word of mouth" anymore, cos most people don't swing a spanner at home any longer but rather just throw the car into the mechanics.

The few "independent" stores I know happen to be stores I have actually stumbled across through sites like ebay and FB market place, and you only know about it when you do a local pickup, and even then, you don't know if they are truly indies. I'm not about to ask about their company structure when picking up a fuel filter

I actually quite enjoy walking in and exploring the non chain stores, where you are not bombarded with tags and stickers, loud music and bright lights.
There's heaps out East and West but you won't find many closer to the city, it'll be all the corporates because no one is going to be paying the rents those places command.

Long story short - don't buy from any stores you see listed on these three websites

https://www.bapcor.com.au

https://gpcasiapac.com/

https://www.superretailgroup.com.au/about-us/brands/

In the SE there's 'All4wheels' in Mordialloc which went out on his own:

https://all4wheelsautomotive.com.au/

Moparts Croydon:

https://mopartscroydon.com/

Inner west is KAM Auto Parts:

https://www.kamautoparts.com.au/

Thats just a few examples, they're around and they'll let you know on their website if they're independent because its a big thing in the industry.

Also a lot of the independents are part of the 'Parts4' group and will have signage on their shop fronts, its a group of independent automotive businesses trying to group together to get better deals from suppliers through rebates et al.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #39
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The savings - be it 15 to 40% if I have to wait a week or more I have no issue paying more getting my needs within 24/48hrs so I can get on with it than waiting longer the saving is moot for me.
Online buying peeev's me for when you having the wrong item delivered OR have a product issue down the track it's a PIA going through the hoops just to even speak to a human.
Hardly buy anything online for most times the follow up service is woeful, worse than dealing with banks etc.....
In time you guys will run out of Independants as Franco mentions, then you'll really be in a poop.
My local independent is Bay Auto and Tool Supplies. But they also double as the local Autopro franchise. Which to me is not so much of a chain or franchise, but more a co-op for bulk buying deals.

They are my first and only stop for most things. I'm happy to pay a premium if I want something now and I buy a few things there. They are roughly on par with Supercheap for prices and lower than Bursons and Repco.

They are also the local Hardy Spicer reseller. When I approached them for a CB and UJ for my BF they wanted $280 and $150 respectively. But Hardy Spicer themselves were $120 and $80. CBC was $95 and $85. I got them from HS because I like them, their guys have been decent and helpful to me.

My local Fulcrum shop is a reseller, so you can call them an independent. But they sell all the Superpro parts at RRP. Wont discount.

Did you know the BF diff bush kit, KIT210K, is $550 now? $550-fu*kin dollars. Thats up nearly $200 over the past 12/18 months. $275 for the blade bushes too.

But there is an ebay seller that does them for $275 including shipping. Kicker is, he is a Superpro reseller based on the Gold Coast. Say it with me, "someone is making a pretty profit"...

Blade bushes can be had for $165 mark.

That's alot of coin! As much as I want to share the love with my local small businesses, at those prices it will make anyone think twice and plan projects ahead. Unless your just dripping with cash.

Tips for online shopping. Keep to Ebay if you can and use Paypal, whether you buy on ebay or not. They have buyer protections. If on ebay you get sent the wrong part, lodge a claim and they will send you a return label and instantly refund the money on return. Paypal do something similar. Unfortunately the trade off on buying it cheaper can be in the after sales service.

If the seller is giving you crap jump over their heads and it gets sorted quickly.

For me where I live, independents are mostly gone. If those 2 I talked about disappeared tomorrow no one would notice.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #40
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought a few things off them recently, prices are great in some cases 1/3rd cheaper than closest competitor for stuff I ordered.

Some stuff arrived fast other parts took 3 months to arrive.

But lots is going that way.

I have a DJI drone I bought new on release day (Mini 3 Pro released for pre order 10 May 2022, ), I still can not buy a charger, battery or any other accessories for it. These were supposed to be available end of June, now they are saying start of August possibly.

Not the same thing but all part of the supply chain that is dying or being murdered for whatever reason.

I am waiting on some suspension bushes from Whiteline, received email today stating at least 5-6 weeks wait till the become available. Lucky I am not relying on them for rego or my daily driver.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 03:43 PM   #41
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Basically what happens when a BAPCOR/GPC Asia Pacific chain opens up in town, they'll run the store at a loss until the local independent is run out of town, once they're gone the prices go through the roof.
Not where I live, those type of businesses tend to shoot themselves in the foot.

I managed to avoid Bunnings and the like for the first 3-4 years of living here. The local small businesses (plumbing, electric, timber, etc, etc) sold at prices that way undercut Bunnings and I was more than happy to buy from them. Then one day their prices all doubled or tripled. Back to Bunnings unfortunately, but this time with a Powerpass account.

I'd never heard of BAPCOR, not that I go looking. But damn, what a goliath Bursons has become. I suppose is testament to what some private equity money and dodgy KPIs can create.

Interesting story about Bursons...

When they were first kicking off into the retail store front business one of the founders was short on cash for his part. So he approach his friend, who was also my Dad's boss at the time, for $10k in exchange for a silent interest in the business. $10k was a lot at the time, around half a house if not more, but Dad's boss ran a successful jewellery business in Lonsdale St.

Anyways, apparently he said "What a fu*king stupid idea. Thats not going to work. No one will buy anything from you, what a waste of time".

Have to wonder how often he kicked himself while banging his head on a table.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 03:44 PM   #42
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
You've suggested people "wake up". I'm seeking more info to be woken. That hasn't helped enlighten me one bit. Thanks anyway.
yer you got me there I was being quite short I'll apoligise being time poor.
Its a bit like people's online shopping, click on the first links because you couldn't be bothered hunting deeper to find other options who maybe Independants as Franco eludes, its a badge of honour these places advsertising their backgrounds.....
Thankfully he filled in with some info.......
Parts4 is mainly a Melb group that started yonks ago by a Autopro owner and since its grown and branched out.
AP name is owned by Bapcor, sadly more and more of the original owners are either selling up or taking Bapcor's low ball offer to sell out.
The Independants Franco lists would offer daily deliveries or overnight.
Old 14-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #43
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
But there is an ebay seller that does them for $275 including shipping. Kicker is, he is a Superpro reseller based on the Gold Coast. Say it with me, "someone is making a pretty profit"...
I get a lot of my superpro stuff from kmal too He / She is very good and reliable. For all we know, could be a family run business with a shop front on ebay.

Rides (past and present)

Old 14-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
yer you got me there I was being quite short I'll apoligise being time poor.
Its a bit like people's online shopping, click on the first links because you couldn't be bothered hunting deeper to find other options who maybe Independants as Franco eludes, its a badge of honour these places advsertising their backgrounds.....
Thankfully he filled in with some info.......
Parts4 is mainly a Melb group that started yonks ago by a Autopro owner and since its grown and branched out.
AP name is owned by Bapcor, sadly more and more of the original owners are either selling up or taking Bapcor's low ball offer to sell out.
The Independants Franco lists would offer daily deliveries or overnight.
Yeah you're on the money, a lot of the Autopro stores are independents who then get offered a low ball figure and then they either become company stores or turn into Burson branches.

Same deal with Autobarn, all the franchisees got bought out then suddenly they reopen as a company store.

They've basically brought them all in under the fold of the BAPCOR group, all the money coming back to them.
Old 14-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #45
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I get a lot of my superpro stuff from kmal too He / She is very good and reliable. For all we know, could be a family run business with a shop front on ebay.
I googled the return address on the last parcel I got from them. Traces to Mermaid Suspension Centre in Mermaid Waters.

https://www.mermaidsuspensioncentre.com.au/

So definitely a proper suspension workshop. They are even listed as a reseller on Superpro's website.

I'm pretty sure its a him. Kym is the name I got on messages back and forth.

But definitely a great business to deal with. Quick, reliable and good prices.

But it's also why it stuns me. How they can do it for $275 including postage and make money... Whereas Sparesbox and the like are in the $400 mark and the RRP is not $550.
Old 14-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Not where I live, those type of businesses tend to shoot themselves in the foot.

I managed to avoid Bunnings and the like for the first 3-4 years of living here. The local small businesses (plumbing, electric, timber, etc, etc) sold at prices that way undercut Bunnings and I was more than happy to buy from them. Then one day their prices all doubled or tripled. Back to Bunnings unfortunately, but this time with a Powerpass account.

I'd never heard of BAPCOR, not that I go looking. But damn, what a goliath Bursons has become. I suppose is testament to what some private equity money and dodgy KPIs can create.
Yeah given where you are located the independents can be pig headed and stubborn because they don't have to compete, different story in Melbourne and Sydney where there's a thousand BAPCOR/GPC clones with their army of children on Maccas money.

Quote:
But it's also why it stuns me. How they can do it for $275 including postage and make money... Whereas Sparesbox and the like are in the $400 mark and the RRP is not $550.
Depends on where what they set their KPI's for on profit margins I guess, ah the lovely KPI.

For me depends on the competition, category of the product and industry its being sold to - I got my *** kicked for cutting a 7 figure contract deal with a customer without involving the executive team on pricing even though I made more money than they wanted, was making 40% profit on every one sold taking into account air freight on the components ex Europe, if the supply chain team got their **** together and could cover their demand via sea freight it increased to 60%

Make money on that stuff and bend over a big corporation and make them bring the vaseline, but use that to look after the little guy and do the odd freebie for the walk-ins, word of mouth advertising is the best by far.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-07-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 14-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #47
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same deal with Autobarn, all the franchisees got bought out then suddenly they reopen as a company store.

They've basically brought them all in under the fold of the BAPCOR group, all the money coming back to them.
The Autobarn up here got bought out because the franchise owner burnt the store down twice for the insurance money. He claimed to be the unluckiest guy in earth.

But now we have a shiny new mega store, very understaffed though, and a recently built Bursons. By the sounds of it both company stores then.

We also have an Autopro. But that might be on its last legs going by what you say.

Bunnings have decided to trample on the locals too now.

They are building one of their mega stores literally next door to the old place. Has to be 3 times the size. Then they are moving the current trade centre to the old retail centre. 78,000sqm of Bunnings all in one place. Almost a wet dream.

Spending big cash too, they had to level out the site. Must be 10 to 15m easy at the deep end.

Last edited by arm79; 14-07-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 14-07-2022, 06:45 PM   #48
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Speaking of independent suppliers/retailers, on Monday I contacted one by email (to free up their phone staff) to ask if they had 2x Item A and 1x Item B available.

Affirmative; they responded quickly - just email in a formal order and we’ll ping you when they’re at the counter. Great, I set aside some time Monday afternoon to collect.

…Silence…

Today (four days later) I received an email from them, had I received their quote? I responded with the order number they’d automatically sent! The reply was a pearler “We’re still waiting on Item A”.

So I supported an independent and they’ve done a GPC on me!
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2022, 09:54 PM   #49
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

$hit happens even for smaller outlets CB as you know......
Its not easy working a counter, taking calls, making calls, ordering online and putting stock away recieving and despatching orders......but yer thats retail life.

arm79, Fulcrum own Superpro and I won't elaborate more and I know Mermaid Suspension from way back like a number of similar business's.
They should be called Authorised Superpro dealers not a reseller.
Now they might have done bulk buys ages ago especially on fast movers.
Much like any smart company re fast movers.
Whereas a online outlet many don't have warehousing but do direct ship ex supplier day to day that pricing is of current pricing for eg.....if there is warehousing again will be volume movers the rest are Buy Ins from X supplier might I add at increased cost being B C D lines.
Online buyers who don't shop around get stung like the pricing you quote, thats life I guess when not a smart shopper hence getting away with it.
Hence why a company like Amazon came along with warehousing etc obviously compared to Oz the demands and population can sustain the running costs.
Here's an eg why pricing adjustments are changing alot now for XBGS post as well.
As we know covid has disrupted everything world over and gonna be for sometime yet....
China main card player here might I add, more so the Dealer in a huge card game due to their volumes and supply world over.
Containers pre covid.
A 20' used to cost us US$1075.00
Now US$3500.00
A 40' now US$7000
Containers are in short supply, infact once upon a time emptys would go to a holding yard and re loaded shipped out but nowadays so many containers are being re loaded empty due to supply demands Ex China to fulfil the big players.
Might I add re shipping Ex Shanghai - due to the high demands I've heard rumours Forwarders are taking bids for shipping booking spaces its that hectic.
Mind boggles.
Add on material increases 5fold (cardboard/metal you name it) in some case's till early this year my own little business had been absorbing all these increase's.
We've issued 2 price rise's to date since.
Supply cannot meet demands.
Its not just Oz might I add, we do business in ME/Asia Pac Latin America, talking to these Distributers I deal with their countries going through the same.
Old 14-07-2022, 10:05 PM   #50
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
The Autobarn up here got bought out because the franchise owner burnt the store down twice for the insurance money. He claimed to be the unluckiest guy in earth.

But now we have a shiny new mega store, very understaffed though, and a recently built Bursons. By the sounds of it both company stores then.

We also have an Autopro. But that might be on its last legs going by what you say.

Bunnings have decided to trample on the locals too now.

They are building one of their mega stores literally next door to the old place. Has to be 3 times the size. Then they are moving the current trade centre to the old retail centre. 78,000sqm of Bunnings all in one place. Almost a wet dream.

Spending big cash too, they had to level out the site. Must be 10 to 15m easy at the deep end.
AB have been a basket case for decades, of all the stores only about the Top 5 made a buck the rest doing it tuff, every single inv 15% went to HQ on top of buying from their WH etcetc....
Slacks Creek had been their No1 nationally for yonks might I add.
I felt for alot of owners I came to know quite a few who did it real tuff, broke having put their house's on the line..
AP, very diff to a AB, more a Trade outlet to compete against Repco as they were originally.
Again some real good operaters run differently to AB, AB was more so the Retailer yet some were better at Trade, AP's knew their parts, some had done real well but some rebelled against the system annoyed HQ making their buck hence that Parts4 commencing some 20yrs amaongst other deciding to import themselves get stung and others opened sideline business's so as HQ couldn't ping them.....
Both these names are Bapcor owned and yes arm79 as has happenned in your region turning into company owned stores and put a Burson up.

Oh the stories I could say lol......
Old 19-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
@ Franco........ have you heard of or had dealings with Run Auto, they're in Melb somewhere.

I've been using them for bits and pieces for my Euro (NOT a Citroen...I'm not that silly ) for a while now and service has been great, seems they now cater for most makes and not just Euro's
Quote:
Haven't come across them before (or heard of them) but I usually avoid European stuff like the plagu.....pandemic

Website is nice and ambiguous about their business, no physical location listed.

It could be a plausible deniability operation like Empowered
Another thumbs up for Run Auto.

I ordered two control arms for my Euro (2004 Mercedes CLK) Friday Evening 15/07/22...they arrived at lunchtime today.

Sparesbox would probably still be trying to source them
Old 19-07-2022, 03:27 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Another thumbs up for Run Auto.

I ordered two control arms for my Euro (2004 Mercedes CLK) Friday Evening 15/07/22...they arrived at lunchtime today.

Sparesbox would probably still be trying to source them
Curious as to if they're using a courier say someone like Startrack (Yes, I'm aware its part of the Australia Post group), Australia Post retail or a combination of multiple couriers.

Freight optimisation is a big one in the game, one size doesn't fit all if you want to do logistics properly.

Startrack was good metro to metro and nationally (5kg airbag, $15+ GST, Melbourne to Perth next business day), but they used Australia Post retail for last mile delivery outside metropolitan areas and that turned to ****, regional specialist couriers were so much quicker getting stuff to customers across metropolitan lines into regional areas and each state had certain couriers where they specialised in certain areas better than others.

West Berg is a family owned freight company that literally does not use computers, everything is paper consignments but anything Melbourne going North/North West/West they were absolutely fantastic for, cost **** all, AM deliveries next business day, even on Saturday depending on the drivers and the relationship with the customers.

Melbourne to Canberra, next morning.

They dropped something off at one of my customers at 2AM once as well on their way past, or if you missed their freight run you just rock up to their freight yard and they'd help unload your car

Also depends on the driver who has those contracted runs in the case of couriers like everyones favorite Couriers Please, some areas, absolute legends, other areas absolutely useless.

Even your relationship with your own couriers, our Sydney branch could get stuff on freight 1.5 hours after cut off from a bunch of various couriers, because they fostered a relationship with their drivers and encouraged them to come there, talk **** with the boys, have some beers et al and end their runs at their branch.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-07-2022 at 03:36 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Curious as to if they're using a courier say someone like Startrack (Yes, I'm aware its part of the Australia Post group), Australia Post retail or a combination of multiple couriers.

Freight optimisation is a big one in the game, one size doesn't fit all if you want to do logistics properly.

Startrack was good metro to metro and nationally (5kg airbag, $15+ GST, Melbourne to Perth next business day), but they used Australia Post retail for last mile delivery outside metropolitan areas and that turned to ****, regional specialist couriers were so much quicker getting stuff to customers across metropolitan lines into regional areas and each state had certain couriers where they specialised in certain areas better than others.

West Berg is a family owned freight company that literally does not use computers, everything is paper consignments but anything Melbourne going North/North West/West they were absolutely fantastic for, cost **** all, AM deliveries next business day, even on Saturday depending on the drivers and the relationship with the customers.
Yes it was Startrack in a Startrack and not an Austpost van. They have free express shipping over $99 but even I was surprised by Startracks times.
Old 19-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yes it was Startrack in a Startrack and not an Austpost van. They have free express shipping over $99 but even I was surprised by Startracks times.
They've got a couple different services,

Anything with 'FPP' in the tracking number is their 'fixed price premium' service which is road freight, its a road service rather than air freight, costs SFA.

Because I live past a line over a map, anything coming from Melbourne via Startrack is hopeless for me, takes a few days to over a week, doesn't matter if you put it in one of those airbag satchels and send it via 'air freight'

I'd do free freight for anything over $500+ GST, otherwise flat $20+ charge or if I didn't have it in stock in your local branch I'd air freight it and make the company wear freight costs for having **** availability
Old 19-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #55
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

What brand - Febi, TRW, Lemförder?
Old 19-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #56
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must admit, I ordered an item on Sunday, shock horror! Dispatched today!!
Old 19-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Must admit, I ordered an item on Sunday, shock horror! Dispatched today!!
Its a sad state of affairs when everyone is surprised that something they ordered yesterday is actually dispatched today at the latest

The way I view it, if something is ordered within the freight cut off then it must dispatch same day. I don't care if the order comes in 5 minutes before the cut off you get your *** to the warehouse and make it happen if they won't.

If a customer misses the freight cut off then they get a call or an email and advised then they can make a decision to cancel, come pick it up or wait until tomorrow for freight to go out again.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #58
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

To update the original post, Sparesbox sent just the brake pads. Picked up Friday evening from a warehouse in Brisbane, delivered Sydney suburbia 4PM Monday. Interesting example of their sense of geography:
Three days to go, before they’re past their most recently nominated shipping deadline for all items.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
To update the original post, Sparesbox sent just the brake pads. Picked up Friday evening from a warehouse in Brisbane, delivered Sydney suburbia 4PM Monday. Interesting example of their sense of geography:
Three days to go, before they’re past their most recently nominated shipping deadline for all items.
I had a big customer that if you had an oldskool car you'd probably be familiar with, all the poindexters in our office with their fetish for spreadsheets, between all of them couldn't put two and two together and realise they weren't making enough product for our national demand - they'd make stock, the DC would empty itself to have product sitting in all the interstate branches and none left in Melbourne for VIC customers, they would literally sit on the shelves of interstate branches while VIC had none.

After I cracked the ****s and jumped up and down enough about it and they wouldn't fix it, I'd just let them do what they were doing, manufacturing would make said product, the warehouse would package and send said product out to all the branches nationally, the interstate staff would check it off and put it on the shelf, then I'd raise sales orders for my customers on every single interstate branch, take all their stock and they'd take it back off the shelf, package them all up and send it via air freight at the companies expense to my customer, 5km down the road from our DC

Or you can play creative accounting and hide things in 'intersite transfers' between branches, if you start seeing your orders going all over the country, being consolidated then sent out to you from your local branch thats what they're doing if their sales staff are trying to balance keeping customer happy vs awkward conversations with accounts department.

I'm the work-around king, if you're not interested in fixing the root cause then you get Franco's quick fixes applied permanently at your expense, probably a reason why they burned through 10 accounts staff in the nearly five years I was playing the game

Don't punish customers for your own **** management, its way easier to keep customers than find new ones thats for sure.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-07-2022 at 04:30 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #60
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
They've got a couple different services,

Anything with 'FPP' in the tracking number is their 'fixed price premium' service which is road freight, its a road service rather than air freight, costs SFA.

Because I live past a line over a map, anything coming from Melbourne via Startrack is hopeless for me, takes a few days to over a week, doesn't matter if you put it in one of those airbag satchels and send it via 'air freight'

I'd do free freight for anything over $500+ GST, otherwise flat $20+ charge or if I didn't have it in stock in your local branch I'd air freight it and make the company wear freight costs for having **** availability
Couldn't find a Startrack tracking number. So being a lazy sod here's the label you can work it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What brand - Febi, TRW, Lemförder?
None of the above. I've used Febi on the tailshaft (genuine but had the Benz logo's buffed off) and Lemforder suspension bushes.

These are 'Optimal'. German brand but probably made in China...but should be ok as they're going to be bolted to Sachs struts

Last edited by GasoLane; 19-07-2022 at 06:10 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post