Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #31
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
Interesting that a lot of people have mentioned only power gain mods to this car, but not many have mentioned the negative effects of putting more power through the front wheels , ie the need for a decent LSD, suspension/setup to help overcome torque steer etc.
sorry, but this is the sort of statement only made by someone who doesn't own/hasn't driven a modified XR5T... i have never had a problem with torque steer. in fact the only time i have ever experienced it, i did it deliberately to get a feel for it... these modern FWD cars are well sorted. It's not until you mod to ridiculous levels that an LSD becomes necessary...

Dallas is right, XR5OC has a heap of info but there is another site www.fordXR5turbo.com which probably has a bit more (only because it's been around a bit longer). both forums are frequented by a great bunch of people only too willing to help new members...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at

Last edited by mondo_broady; 20-02-2011 at 09:40 AM.
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #32
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
sorry, but this is the sort of statement only made by someone who doesn't own/hasn't driven a modified XR5T... i have never had a problem with torque steer. in fact the only time i have ever experienced it, i did it deliberately to get a feel for it... these modern FWD cars are well sorted. It's not until you mod to ridiculous levels that an LSD becomes necessary...

Dallas is right, XR5OC has a heap of info but there is another site www.fordXR5turbo.com which probably has a bit more (only because it's been around a bit longer). both forums are frequented by a great bunch of people only too willing to help new members...
My 06 LX manual focus has torque steer, and had since new.....dosent reef the wheel out of your hands but its definately there...You must have been lucky and got the only FWD car that dosent have it - or you bought a Focus that has the revo knuckle front end fitted ( as far as I know only RS's have this so far) , of which , even the RS's still get torque steer , albeit very minor and virtually unnoticeable....Ive driven 2 XR5's, one standard and it torquesteerd on uneven roads, and one with mods including mountune tune and Qaife LSD, it torquesteered less than the standard car even though it had more power/torque trying to scramble thru the front wheels ......presumably due to the fantastic quaife diff and sorted bilstien suspension.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #33
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Looks like this is a done deal but just awaiting some final details.

No red's with leather available in NSW (maybe interstate but would have to charge a fair bit to transport one, if it exists or get one with cloth interior). Looks like it will probably be blue with leather and sunroof instead.

Will know more early in the coming week

As for performance, mods, etc... probably not something I'll look at straight away, though I know temptation will be strong from the XR5 dedicated forums - I will venture over there soon!

Groomy, popped into Sinclair yesterday to get the ball and paperwork rolling but Brenton said you're one of the lucky ones who gets the weekend off so I'll have to catch up with you during the week some time. We were all giving Brenton a bit of hell for his portrayal in the Focus Zetec on the SinclairFord website, he and Dad even had a dance out front of the showroom once we were finished

Pretty impressed with the figures Brenton mentioned regarding A and B services for the XR5 - all prices are cheaper than a regular service with my current Cougar!

All the best,

Dan
Old 20-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My 06 LX manual focus has torque steer, and had since new.....dosent reef the wheel out of your hands but its definately there...You must have been lucky and got the only FWD car that dosent have it - or you bought a Focus that has the revo knuckle front end fitted ( as far as I know only RS's have this so far) , of which , even the RS's still get torque steer , albeit very minor and virtually unnoticeable....Ive driven 2 XR5's, one standard and it torquesteerd on uneven roads, and one with mods including mountune tune and Qaife LSD, it torquesteered less than the standard car even though it had more power/torque trying to scramble thru the front wheels ......presumably due to the fantastic quaife diff and sorted bilstien suspension.
nope, what i said was "i've never had a problem with torqusteer", not that i had NO torquesteer... as i said, the only time i did have a problem was when i took my hands off the wheel and accelerated to see what happened and the car turned right...

these modern FWD's do not pull against you anywhere near old school FWD's did. i can accellerate out of a round-a-bout for example and not be worried the wheel will pull violently to the right.... something you obviously know as you say yourself it doesn't reef the wheel from your hands.

my point was that those who bang on about torqusteer are mostly those who haven't/don't drive an XR5...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 20-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #35
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Exactly. Torquesteer is there, but I've never had a problem with it. If you can't drive the car, you shouldn't buy it, period. The XR5 is a brilliant piece of machinery and should not be underestimated.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #36
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
Exactly. Torquesteer is there, but I've never had a problem with it. If you can't drive the car, you shouldn't buy it, period. The XR5 is a brilliant piece of machinery and should not be underestimated.
ahh well, you neednt worry about that pending quaife LSD then....... and, I dont recall anyone on this post underestimating the fantastic XR5. Infact I said myself, twice, it is a better allround everyday car. You guys are always comparing your cars to V8's, like some sort of little man complex ,I cant believe the emotion and pride that is stirred up when someone "shows up those V8's at the lights " but the minute a shortcoming is mentioned everyone gets all defensive ( dont you dare mention torquesteer!!!!!) . Relax, your XR5's are great lttle cars. If you want to convince yourself that the faults it has dont exist thats cool, but best not do it to a prospective buyer. Theres a reason the XR5's havent increased in power output from the factory, and its the same reason almost everyone who boosts them up either fits a quaife LSD or dreams of doing so.
Old 21-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No problem with torquesteer in our mondeo xr5, it was worse in my last mazda sp23 :S
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #38
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
No problem with torquesteer in our mondeo xr5, it was worse in my last mazda sp23 :S
yeah, the mazdas are a fair bit worse, especially the MPS turbo. Its a shocker

Im guessing your mondeo is standard DASH? If so , then yeah, whatever torquesteer you have is probably no issue, just like the focus's. Only modded cars seem to exploit the FWD limitations
Old 22-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #39
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
ahh well, you neednt worry about that pending quaife LSD then....... and, I dont recall anyone on this post underestimating the fantastic XR5. Infact I said myself, twice, it is a better allround everyday car. You guys are always comparing your cars to V8's, like some sort of little man complex ,I cant believe the emotion and pride that is stirred up when someone "shows up those V8's at the lights " but the minute a shortcoming is mentioned everyone gets all defensive ( dont you dare mention torquesteer!!!!!) . Relax, your XR5's are great lttle cars. If you want to convince yourself that the faults it has dont exist thats cool, but best not do it to a prospective buyer. Theres a reason the XR5's havent increased in power output from the factory, and its the same reason almost everyone who boosts them up either fits a quaife LSD or dreams of doing so.
No a quaife doesnt just limit torque steer
The 5 has a few faults but i can tell ya they are nothing on a aussie car thats fror sure.
I couldnt care for traffic lights duos, if i wanted that id have bought an XR6T et al because thats the extent of their abilites.
No i dont have little man complex either (see above post).
To OP go and have a bash in a 5 and make your choice from there.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #40
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
No problem with torquesteer in our mondeo xr5,
I've had mine 2 years now and I've noticed lately that it's becoming a little more flighty on acceleration. I don't know whether the tyres have worn or if the car is starting to loosen up. But there is more feeling of torque steer now than when I bought it. It's probabbly on par now with the amount of torque steer I had in the Focus.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #41
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
No a quaife doesnt just limit torque steer
The 5 has a few faults but i can tell ya they are nothing on a aussie car thats fror sure.
I couldnt care for traffic lights duos, if i wanted that id have bought an XR6T et al because thats the extent of their abilites.
No i dont have little man complex either (see above post).
To OP go and have a bash in a 5 and make your choice from there.
yeah, aussie cars can be crappy, but at least they come with cruise control!!! ( sorry had to stick that one in ) :-)

Its funny when you read both these forums, and also car mags etc. Its like, the rotary guys are always trying to beat the V8 guys, the 4 cyl guys are always modding the bejesus out of their cars to beat the 8's, the 6 cyl guys walk around comparing everything they do to V8's. And there's such pride and chest pumping when a modded 4 ( or 5 cyl) smokes a stock V8 somewhere. Funny thing is though, you read the V8 forums and mags, and they dont give a rats a@#e about anyone else ( the occaisional XR6T gripe excluded ). If you want a car that goes like a V8, buy a V8. If you want a car that is light and handles well dont buy a V8. But leave the envy and delusion in the glovebox and enjoy the car for what it is....faults and all...
Good advice to OP though..Im sure after a test drive his mind was made up , appears he has done the deal. You will enjoy driving the Xr5, I know I did.
Old 22-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #42
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Having leased a BF XR8 and an FG XR6 Turbo, plus considerable time in stock and modded XR5's plus a full-blown weekend in an RS....

I'd go straight to the nearst XR5 in a heartbeat and not consider anything else.

The FG XR6 Turbo was an insane car, amazing performance and decent fuel economy for such a huge car. When pushed, it actually feels like a big Focus to be honest, albeit one that I don't trust as much with the extra weight and the chance of stepping out on a wet road.

I feel much more comfortable and dare I say naughty every time I cane an XR5. It just puts the smile on my face that the XR6 Turbo could, without the smile on the copper's face too when he's hiding behind the tree 200m up the road. As a driver's car and a commuter, the XR5's slightly lower performance is the best balance as a daily driver.

Each to their own though. I still miss my XR6 Turbo so much and I've just picked up a new G6E... But only because I can't lease an XR5
Old 23-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #43
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The enjoyment is different for various types of cars. For example, i love driving my modded turbo terry for straight line grunt. But the XR5T is certainly a lot more fun to drive.

I've had a 300rwkw XR6T, a modded turbo terry, a stock XR5T and a Fairlane G8 (with cat back)... The XR5T remains the most fun to drive, the XR6T was obviously the fastest. But the Fairlane is probably what i got most enjoyment out of (until the wife made me trade it for the XR5T).

To really enjoy the Territory, i have to push the go pedal and keep it planted to get that rush of boost. The V8 on the other hand, i could cruise around at any speed and appreciate that V8 rumble!

Perhaps a full exhaust on the territory or XR5T will give me that same satisfaction without having to drive fast! I'm certainly looking forward to my next V8.

In saying all that, i really love the XR5. It handles a lot better then i ever thought a FWD car could! And the exhaust note is pretty nice too, looking forward to doing the de-res mod down the track. Although the wife is already wanting to sell the XR5 for something cheaper to put more money back into the house
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #44
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry shep but you're still banging on about "faults" (TS) despite many others telling you that in their experience, this is no longer a problem/issue (even in modded cars) In fact, in all my time on the XR5 forums, I can't remember anyone complaining about torquesteer. sure a heap have installed quaifes, but from my experience, that has been about traction, not torqusteer.

i'll give you an example. i had a uninhibited run at speed up an 8km mountain pass last week which has dozens of switchback turns & hairpins and did not experience torquesteer once in my modded XR5. TS is a non-event as a problem in these cars.

as for your little man syndrome... pffft who cares about straight line contests with V8's when there's twisties to be run... horses for courses...

Old 23-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #45
entheos

The quaife doesn't effect the torquesteer anywhere near as much as the revoknuckle does in the RS. I had no issues with Torquesteer on my modded XR5 (yes it would give most of the V8 boys a bit of a shock at the lights, rolling road, track, almost anywhere, but also your other boy racers...) The key is good tyres as well...
Old 23-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #46
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "The key is good tyres as well....."

Hit the nail on the head there as I found out at Eastern Creek Raceway recently.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #47
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
sorry shep but you're still banging on about "faults" (TS) despite many others telling you that in their experience, this is no longer a problem/issue (even in modded cars) In fact, in all my time on the XR5 forums, I can't remember anyone complaining about torquesteer. sure a heap have installed quaifes, but from my experience, that has been about traction, not torqusteer.

i'll give you an example. i had a uninhibited run at speed up an 8km mountain pass last week which has dozens of switchback turns & hairpins and did not experience torquesteer once in my modded XR5. TS is a non-event as a problem in these cars.

as for your little man syndrome... pffft who cares about straight line contests with V8's when there's twisties to be run... horses for courses...
So when I entered this thread I made a fairly innocuos comment about people talking about power increases and negative effects on chassis dynamics. And what was the response..... offended people going on the assumption train . " sorry , but this is the type of comment made by somebody who has never driven an XR5 " . ( you dont know what your talking about etc etc etc ). Unfortunately I had driven both stock and modded XR5's.
The tone of the thread instantly went from informative to people getting all defensive because their ride has been criticised and I guess when it comes to cars , a mans very being is on the line.....or so it would seem.
I dont know how many times I have written in this thread that these cars are great and the best choice for an everyday car so Im not going to bother this time because you guys seem intent on digging your heels in.
look, a bloke asked for peoples experiences and opinions on the XR5. After a few posts the inevitable comments about these cars surprising V8's at the lights surfaced. No biggie , but the guys are talking about modded/tuned cars embarrasing V8's , not stock cars. When you pump more power through the front wheels of a stock XR5 you will increase torquesteer. You cannot avoid this fact. Now , maybe to die hard fans such as yourself the increased torqusteer isnt a big enough negative to spoil your experience of driving the car, just like most of us V8 drivers like to pretend our front heavy cars dont understeer like pigs when pushed hard. But each car has its inherent design limitations. If you had of said from the outset, Yes increasing output increases torqusteer but not enough to make the car a pain in the a@#se and its still enjoyable to drive , this thread wouldnt be this long and the original poster would be better informed......Oh , and on the subject of Quaifes,traction and torqusteer are directly ( although not solely ) related.....but I guess you already knew that
Old 23-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #48
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
The quaife doesn't effect the torquesteer anywhere near as much as the revoknuckle does in the RS. I had no issues with Torquesteer on my modded XR5 (yes it would give most of the V8 boys a bit of a shock at the lights, rolling road, track, almost anywhere, but also your other boy racers...) The key is good tyres as well...
Good info, this is more the kind of post this thread needed
Old 23-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #49
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i'll give you an example. i had a uninhibited run at speed up an 8km mountain pass last week which has dozens of switchback turns & hairpins and did not experience torquesteer once in my modded XR5.
I love Mac Pass in the Mondeo. I've owned a few Falcons and nothing handles as well or is as much fun up and down Mac Pass than the XR5. The car is built perfect for those conditions and even on a straight stretch of highway, it is a fantastic cruiser. A great drivers car.
Old 23-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #50
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To stop some of the bickering,

Basically we all know v8's are the bench mark for performance cars. Stems from the muscle car era.

Quite a few v8 owners show disdain for anything that isn't a V8 and believe that if it aint an 8, it aint quick.

So what we're saying, is that it's great to see the look on those people's faces when a simple focus trundles on down the road in front of them
Old 23-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #51
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

I'm going to thank everyone for all their input - sure, the thread has gone away from the topic a bit at times but it's all good - we all love our cars and every bit of info in here has been helpful.

I don't know if people actually saw my post on the 20th (as its surrounded by others) but this is happening. I'm happy with the car, I've got one getting my little bits of extras thrown in and it should be delivered next week some time

Got to meet Groomy (entheos) yesterday and make myself known. I'll get onto the appropriate XR5 forums soon and introduce myself to them and away we go.

Even though she was no contender for Turbo 5's or Bent 8's, I'll miss the Cougar when she's gone :(

...but, I'll have a new car to appreciate and enjoy, and judging from people's posts in this thread, I'll have a lot of fun

Cheers,

Dan
Old 23-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #52
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Which one did you get Dan?

Black? sea grey? or red? or Blue?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #53
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I love Mac Pass in the Mondeo. I've owned a few Falcons and nothing handles as well or is as much fun up and down Mac Pass than the XR5. The car is built perfect for those conditions and even on a straight stretch of highway, it is a fantastic cruiser. A great drivers car.
I live 2 mins from maquarie pass. I shall keep my eyes open for all these super fast XR5's...probably be too far ahead of me to see them though....haha, kidding. Maquarie pass is really WRX/evo country. The AWD really helps out of the climbing tight corners, Its a great piece of road to really test a cars performance although with the amount of traffic, particularly suicidal motorbikes its not the best place to have a fang.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #54
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne

Basically we all know v8's are the bench mark for performance cars. Stems from the muscle car era.

Quite a few v8 owners show disdain for anything that isn't a V8 and believe that if it aint an 8, it aint quick.

So what we're saying, is that it's great to see the look on those people's faces when a simple focus trundles on down the road in front of them
Simple focus...what the? ( did I mention I have a focus) , I dont reckon they're simple. If I got rid of my V8 it would be for an XR5 focus.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #55
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I live 2 mins from maquarie pass. I shall keep my eyes open for all these super fast XR5's...probably be too far ahead of me to see them though....haha, kidding. Maquarie pass is really WRX/evo country. The AWD really helps out of the climbing tight corners, Its a great piece of road to really test a cars performance although with the amount of traffic, particularly suicidal motorbikes its not the best place to have a fang.

I didn't say they were superfast. They are faster than fast. In fact, so fast that they arrive at the top of Mac Pass before they even leave the bottom.

I'm keen to go for a run down the pass on my bike. I've seen a few of those crazy riders on the pass in Summer. When they get caught behind trucks, you can feel the frustration. Must have a go before the weather turns cold.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #56
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I didn't say they were superfast. They are faster than fast. In fact, so fast that they arrive at the top of Mac Pass before they even leave the bottom.

I'm keen to go for a run down the pass on my bike. I've seen a few of those crazy riders on the pass in Summer. When they get caught behind trucks, you can feel the frustration. Must have a go before the weather turns cold.
The pass is awesome on a bike, especially going up. The problem with it is , heaps of riders come down from sydney every sunday and tear up there, but because they dont know it that well they come unstuck. Its a really unforgiving place if Just about everybody I know has had or seen an accident up there and there has been a really large number of fatalities.. If you stack you either end up in the rock wall or over the edge of a cliff, or into the front of a car/truck Best on a weekday, but then its not the same atmosphere when you get to the pieshop at the top as it is on a sunny sunday.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #57
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne

I dont think you were trundling when I saw you go past the V8 & turbo 6 guys on one of those cruises, lol. Sure gave them a wake up call.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #58
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Been contemplating an xr5t for a long time...

What are your real world economy figures? It's quoted numbers are 9.3.

Gettin a bit tired of using 50L of petrol to get just under 300km in the ghia. It's quoted at 13.2, but I spend all day in peak hour crawl (average speed of about 32km/h) and get somewhere around 17l/100km.
Old 24-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #59
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Simple focus...what the? ( did I mention I have a focus) , I dont reckon they're simple. If I got rid of my V8 it would be for an XR5 focus.
Relax bud, I'm not quoting you, I'm saying generally..

Real world figures for me are 10.2L/ 100K on my daily commute to work (stop start) and 8.6 on a highway drive.

That's with mods and a tune
Old 24-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #60
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Been contemplating an xr5t for a long time...

What are your real world economy figures? It's quoted numbers are 9.3.

Gettin a bit tired of using 50L of petrol to get just under 300km in the ghia. It's quoted at 13.2, but I spend all day in peak hour crawl (average speed of about 32km/h) and get somewhere around 17l/100km.
Yeah you'll get heaps better mileage out of an XR5. I get 10.3 - 11 depending on how i've been driving (that's running a tune)

open highway I get 6.5-7

55L tank will get you to at least 500km

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post