Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #31
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Customers put off by pushy salesman

My last experience, two weeks ago, was fantastic.

Working in the trade, I don't take lightly to being played for a fool.

Emailed the dealership at 9pm at night via Carsales, Salesman rang at 9am, made an appointment for next day, went in, talked shop, car was a red hot price already, just needed to sort out the trade.

Came to a figure I was happy with, payed my deposit and did the finance application. Picked car up 1 week later.

All smiles.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #32
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buy cars for my work since i am the Car freak of the office, I visit a close dealer get all the info and options create a list and i ring 3 other dealers and speak to a salesperson and then wait for a quote. I often have to chase them and sometime they don't quote me at all.

i always go back to the first salesperson with my best quote and if the can match or beat it then i do the deal there and then.
I now have a relationship with 3 different dealerships (Toyota, Ford & Holden) which makes it easier but am amazed that i can speak to salespeople and get told will send you a quote and they dont.
I dont have time to sit and listen to the spiel every time as i have bought up to 8 cars/ute each year for the last 3yrs.

But must say every deal i have done i think we are both happy as i make it a point not to be rude and not to try and B/s them about fake prices.
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #33
Incontro

This was in the U.K.

Went to a Citroen dealership once in London, let's say the guy's name is Bob. Find a really good deal on the web, and give the dealership a call. (Approved used car.)

Talk with Bob, go there that day. In urgent need of a car as I have no wheels. Renting is surely getting expensive, I rented for around 2 weeks. Turn up at the dealership, inspect the car - interior a little used but low mileage and otherwise a really good deal.

Try negotiating, but Bob says he won't move, it is a good price already. Pay with cash when I pick up the car the next day.

A few months in I am in the need for a smaller runaround. Call Bob and ask if he has anything, gets me a great deal again. I tell him I want it, but I am in another town 300kms away. Bob arranges a driver to drive the car to me, so I can inspect it. The driver arrives, another great car at a very very good price, better than the first deal even. Good colour, and plenty of extras and low mileage.

Buy the car off the driver, by signing. They give me the keys. Pay the next day, and guess what. Bob no longer works at Citroen, probably got fired for giving me the car before getting the full payment. It was trust, but I guess it could be a dangerous situation for the dealer.

Bob now works at Hyundai.
Incontro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #34
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Son went looking for his first late model car, found a car he wanted but finance wouldnt allow it (that happens). Salesman was really good and suggested going for a BA XR6 (was looking at a BA XR8) as they would probably approve that no probs but didnt have any on the lot (Ford Dealer Norwood) but the other yard did (Gepps Cross). So son & I drive over there and saw one of the salesman, told him where & who sents us down etc and he showed us a few XR6's as another salesman joined the folly helping us choose. I had a good look over the cars and by the end of 15 mins or so we had 5 salesman helping us... By this point I thought this was getting rediculous.... One they tried to stitch my son up with was a Silver BA XR6 that had mags, extractors, FPV stickers etc etc (obviously a young lads car) and I wasnt having a bar of it.... I was just getting annoyed, the car I liked the most they were steering me away from. Dead stock Rapid BA XR6, low kays, very clean and only a $1500 dearer than the others......

We landed up just walking out..... Had enough.

Literally drove 200 metres down the road to find a Blueprint BA XR6 with premo sound even cheaper than the Ford dealer.... Was talking to the Saleman and he was polite helpful etc took it for a drive, drove well etc etc got back talked some more and said to us are you sure you want a XR6? Insurance might be a bit dear for the lad considering its an XR6 but I have another car he might be interested in..... Soon as he looked at it he loved it.... There sat a BF Fairmont in that light gold/silver colour, It was very nice, salesman explained it drove very well, chucked us the keys and said take it for a spin... It was a better car, went harder (those extra killawasps on the BF's) handled nice and wasnt cop bait either.... We signed there and then.... A couple friends that came down to have a look see at the XR6 were wandering around the yard with us and was saying to misses about buying a Territory and they landed up buying one that day as well....

Now has owned it over 12 months, Still in love with it... Even done the Great Ocean Rd trip to Melbourne beginning of the year....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Great experience there Jim.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you cannot handle pushy salesmen then get someone else to buy the car for you.

Sales guy's job is to sell.....that is all.

He will try every trick in the book (and some that aren't) to try and get you emotionally connected to the car so that you "need" it. Second hand cars are the worst as often the configuration you find is just what you are looking for and is a bit rare, new cars are available everywhere.
The sales guys are usually good at reading body language and will pick up on it.

Tactics:

S) I have another guy looking at this car.
C) Oh really? Well I would hate to upset someone else. I will look at the one down the road instead.

S) I am sorry, the sales manager/DP has to authorise a test drive unless you sign this scam document.
C) I am sorry, tell the sales manager/DP that you lost a sale by treating the customer like as idiot.

S) This is a rare collectable car, that is why it is priced so high.
C) Oh it is rare? So no one bought them when they were new, that is a worry. I will look elsewhere thanks.

S) This price is only for today.
C) Oh ok, well I will come back in a week or two in the car I buy somewhere else to see if you still have it.

S) Your car/Your chariot/Your whatever (emotional attachment).
C) No mate, it is your car until I decide whether or not I am prepared to compromise on what I really want.

S) You are wasting my time (trying to put you on you back foot).
C) No, I am wasting my time but I don't want to waste yours, is there another salesman I can talk to?

Always remember two things:
1) You do not NEED it, there are always alternatives.
2) You do not have to buy but he has to sell.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If you cannot handle pushy salesmen then get someone else to buy the car for you.

Sales guy's job is to sell.....that is all.

He will try every trick in the book (and some that aren't) to try and get you emotionally connected to the car so that you "need" it. Second hand cars are the worst as often the configuration you find is just what you are looking for and is a bit rare, new cars are available everywhere.
The sales guys are usually good at reading body language and will pick up on it.

Tactics:

S) I have another guy looking at this car.
C) Oh really? Well I would hate to upset someone else. I will look at the one down the road instead.

S) I am sorry, the sales manager/DP has to authorise a test drive unless you sign this scam document.
C) I am sorry, tell the sales manager/DP that you lost a sale by treating the customer like as idiot.

S) This is a rare collectable car, that is why it is priced so high.
C) Oh it is rare? So no one bought them when they were new, that is a worry. I will look elsewhere thanks.

S) This price is only for today.
C) Oh ok, well I will come back in a week or two in the car I buy somewhere else to see if you still have it.

S) Your car/Your chariot/Your whatever (emotional attachment).
C) No mate, it is your car until I decide whether or not I am prepared to compromise on what I really want.

S) You are wasting my time (trying to put you on you back foot).
C) No, I am wasting my time but I don't want to waste yours, is there another salesman I can talk to?

Always remember two things:
1) You do not NEED it, there are always alternatives.
2) You do not have to buy but he has to sell.

S) Do you have a personality, Mr. Doormat?
C) No, I'm just an ******* who thinks you're the scum of the earth because of the profession you chose. However, my opinion is moreso based on tactics of the 80s rather than what is more relevant these days.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are you getting upset?

Surely as these are "'80s tactics" they would have no relevance to your selling techniques.......

These are only for pushy salesmen, you know, the other ones not you.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #39
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I'm just giving you my perspective.

Most of the feelings about sales people these days are outdated.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #40
T-Pak Addict
Jim

My Daughter wanted a brand new car, already knew what she wanted...After the first yard we went to dicked us around with the delivery day.... He said he would have the car on the lot in 2 days for pickup..... a week later..... We told him to shove it..... Rang another yard and she drove home in her new car the next day.... How hard is it to find a 2011 White Barina Manual??? Pretty dam hard apparantly

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #41
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to laugh at the Skoda salesman in Wollongong whose method for dealing with "brand recognition" was not to mention the word "Czech" even once, even resorting to a porky about the import time from "Germany".

Still you don't get to be a salesman by being a shrinking violet. Lies, no matter how small, I don't like though.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #42
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD

+1

Just like House Salespeople, everyone has a bad story about a Car Salesperson.

That said, where there is smoke, there is fire, and every generalization has a basis in reality.

As I said, there are car dealerships that I will never darken there door again (one Ford, two Holden, one Mazda, two Nissan, four Toyota) due to there allegedly 'outdated/'nah mate, its not like that these days' sales practices.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #43
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD

I just had a bad experience with my local dealer (among many others). Wouldn't match another dealer, then told me I was wrong for thinking I got the deal I got?? WTF? Kept sending me txt messages too, telling ME to call HIM?? The god damn arrogance. He then ended up calling me, claiming he never said no to the price, this was of course after I'd told him I'd bought somewhere else... I told him straight up the way things are and he hung up on me... All class.

Right or wrong, I dislike car salesman. Generalisation or not, most are full of *****... especially the older blokes (my perspective). Maybe I'll have better luck in the future.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a friend of mine working for car dealership as a salesman many years ago, was always under pressure to sell cars by his boss, the rule of thumb was , if they road test it they buy it, he worked for that other brand for a couple of years, then give it away, no doubt there are still a few rogues out there. i have to say i`ve been window shopping at ford dealers a fair bit the last 6 months and i`ve found all of the local blokes to be pretty good, they ask if they can help, i just reply "just looking for the minute thanks mate", they reply "sing out if you need some help", no pressure at that stage anyway .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #45
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Car salesmen aren't all bad... over the years I've dealt with a few different dealers in QLD and never really had a problem with any of them. If you're honest with them to start with then typically you do not run into too many dramas, e.g. if your going to shop it out tell them so..... Some will tell you to get nicked and thats fine, thats when you walk out.

If anything I think they are alot easier to deal with then they were some years ago, things like carsales / internet / dealer feed back surveys have change their approach, people are way too clued up for the BS stories and with most people they can sense that.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #46
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I had to laugh at the Skoda salesman in Wollongong whose method for dealing with "brand recognition" was not to mention the word "Czech" even once, even resorting to a porky about the import time from "Germany".

Still you don't get to be a salesman by being a shrinking violet. Lies, no matter how small, I don't like though.
There are two kinds of lies told in the car trade small ones told by dealers and XXXXing huge massive gargantuan ones told by customers .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #47
WUB913

from what i have learnt as a car salesmen usually its used car salesmen who have that bad reputation, new car and fleet sales and generally pretty good.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #48
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Well to be fair, there are good & bad in every industry.. Good sales people know when your serious and ready to buy, and will start the haggling process!

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #49
brydie76
Moff-fan

The salesperson I dealt with when I got my Fiesta was pretty good, the sales manager was ok too until I got a call about 1 month post sale (and after doing one of the Ford customer surveys). He basically picked through everything I wrote, nearly demanding explanations from me for any comment I wrote that was slightly negative, and then explaining it away as if I had misinterpreted it. Got to a heads when he plainly misread what I had written- I wrote "I honestly didn't expect such good service from a large chain of dealerships!" and he read out to me "I expected better service from a large chain of dealerships". My correction of his comment (and the tone I said it in) let him know that whilst I meant the former at the time, he was rapidly making his misinterpretation correct. They were still ok though overall. Don't rate their big brother dealership near my work though. Went in there last year to get a brochure for a Fiesta- didn't have any to give me, didn't take details in order to send me one and topped it off with the next question being "so, what finance would you like?". Cue a pretty heated discussion about why I didn't want finance, (at the time) wouldn't be approved for finance and no, I wasn't going to tell him my financial information to prove my point. Walked out pretty quickly after that. Hoping I don't have to take my car there to be serviced, TBH. That is one advantage about a dealership chain I guess- if you don't like one of the dealerships, there is normally an alternative that is run very differently (and often better). One of their chains near my house, and added advantage of getting a loaner Ford for a day when I take it in for service!!!

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post