Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The Mythbuster's forum didn't like the centrifugal valve opening theory: http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...979#2281923979
Old 27-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #32
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I like your style, but there are a few things to consider here.

Firstly, he didnt actually steal the cap, so to chase him is a little over the top, your thread title mentions damage when it is infact petty theft or tampering.

Secondly, as others have said, the possible reprocussions from his mates or worse still parents will far outweigh the original crime (refer point 1)

Thirdly, considering you restrained the boy you may well be liable to be charged with holding him against his will should the authorities be involved (again refer point 1)

Having said all that, in an ideal world, you are quite right in your actions.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #33
Eleanor

I think you did right Hulk.

I had a scenario on the weekend just gone where I wondered if I'd lost the plot too.

Had my boys, 3&1/2 and 20 months old, at a local play-centre. I was standing about 3 metres away from my youngest who was just stepping into the little-kids' jumping-castle when three or four 10 - 12 year olds thought it would be fun to run at full speed and jump into the jumping castle (Sending my boy flying in the process and resulting in a number of bruises including to his forehead).

Needless to say their mums nearly shat after the dressing-down I gave their sons.

Surprisingly a number of other parents said thank-you to me as apparently these boys had been acting like this for ages and the parents and the playcentre owners had done nothing.

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #34
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I admire the OPs courage. I wouldve just walked toward him and watch him run. Had I done anymore than that im sure I wouldve woke up the next morning to find my car with every panel dented and all its glass smashed. All seems to be about revenge and going a step further than everyone else with kids these days. Instead of just letting it go.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #35
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would like to have caught the ar@#wipe last friday morning at 2am who set my alarm off by trying to put a brick through my fpv s/p passenger window ,didn't break but left some permanent marks...doc
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #36
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice work Hulk.

Just enough terror to put the wind up him and make him think twice, without going overboard. Its just what the little terrorist needed!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #37
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with what you did
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Something has me puzzled with the posts in this thread.

Many times weve had threads involving tailgaters etc. and the general concensus is that the Police should be left to deal with these perpetrators and brake checking etc. is a no no, Infact i remember one member being crucified on here after an alterction with a tailgater saw his vehicle damaged.

Yet its ok to take this into your own hands and we all cheer him on.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #39
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:

Many times weve had threads involving tailgaters etc. and the general concensus is that the Police should be left to deal with these perpetrators and brake checking etc. is a no no, Infact i remember one member being crucified on here after an alterction with a tailgater saw his vehicle damaged.

I guess the issue is that, as I know from experience, is that the police won't act in regard to valve cap stealing even when repeated and involving a large number of cars. I guess from their perspective ( which I accept) it's the lowest end of petty theft and they don't recognise that a resultant deflated tyre can cause death or injury (I disagree with this conclusion) . The police advice to me regarding the aforementioned issue in the car park of the sporting complex was essentially to ridicule me for complaining and suggesting that there might be a safety risk. When I pressed the point they said it was an issue for the shire who owned the complex in terms of security and that I should either simply tell the offenders off or find out who they were and take it up with their patents. The subsequent complaint from/about the lady threatened with baseball bats did get a tour through patrol each Saturday morning and ended the problem.
Old 27-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8

Point out to me where i 'cheered' him on?
If it were my car id have done the same and i have crappy black rubber caps, its the principal. I dont want people tampering with my stuff.
The other issues in your post are for disscussion on another day
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

2022 Hyundai Tucson Highlander N Line Diesel AWD
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #41
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I don't know that I would have actually done what I had dreamed or schemed to do if I had caught the offender(s) red handed but I can tell you my blood was boiling when confronted with two partially flat tyres in the car park from where they had twisted the valve stems and unglued the seals from the rim to take the theft resistant caps off without the required tool. It cost me $10 each to get them resealed/replaced. I had been diagnosed as having a pheochromocytoma at the time so perhaps if I had lost it I could have pleaded medically induced high adrenalin temporary insanity anyway.

Anyway I guess I also learnt that theft resistant caps are not necessarily the answer either; indeed I think they could inflame the thief to do worse in some cases ot just take them at all costs to prove a point.
Old 27-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #42
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

thanks for making me insecure about my Chrome Mustang valve caps guys!!
But OP you did a great job, god i'd love to catch someone doing something to my car.
Would be great fun
Old 27-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #43
RAPID_BA
Banned

I watched that boy walk up the road, crying, tail between his legs head down, I think he was scared enough. Who knows maybe I saved him a whole lot of trouble if he learns his lesson.

I keep thinking about what I should have done, I should have told his mum or dad. Taken his scooter off him and tell him I'd return it when his mum or dad turns up to collect. So we can have the discussion.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #44
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

The way you described his reaction - tears / fear of his mum finding out / he did own up etc etc - you were lucky...

if he was one of the bogan "rest of the world haters" type children that I have had the misfortune to witness in action, even at this age – he’d have told you to get stuffed, spat on your car, and given you the bird as he dared you to touch him – ‘cause he’d tell HIS MUM and DAD that you belted him. And all the rest of his family would come and bash crap out of you.

But I digress, Hulk, you handles it well, and kept your cool, and had a big win!

The youngster admitted fault, took responsibility, and learnt a good lesson.

Well done.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #45
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Yesterday I was mowing my lawn and had my xr8 parked across the road, from the bAckyard I noticed A young boy crouched down near my rims. I immediately went running after him, he was off down the street on his scooter, I gave chase and caught him within about 200 meters, I grabbed him by the shirt and we walked back to the car to inspect. He had taken off the Crome valve cap but it was on the road. He denied it and said he dropped his wallet, I said what is your mums number I was going to call her and tell her of her boys activities. He starts crying and pleads and says he would never do it again. I told him I would not let him go until I speak to his mum. He cried and pleaded, I told him that if he tells me the truth I'd let him go, he admitted guilt and I made him promise me he would not steal or damage property ever agAin. I also told him that if I see him around here I would grab him and this time I'd call his mum. I'll tell you he was one very scared young boy. He would have been 10 years old

I know it's only a Crome Valve cap but they need to be taught a lesson.

Was I too hard on him. Thinking back. I should have given him $2 and said here go buy a valve cap but if I ever see him again I'd knock his head off.
nicely handled Hulk, it does`nt matter wether its a valve cap or a simmons wheel , the next time the cap may have had a wheel attached to it, he will think twice before doing something like that again, at the same time, it must have been tempting to speak to the parents(allthough you may have lobbed on the doorstep with junior in hand only to find dear old dad and his 6`7" tall Hells angels mates haveing a booze up ).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #46
RAPID_BA
Banned

I had my neighbor come out who witnessed
The whole thing. He said that I can't hold the boy (I grabbed his shirt initially and then his wrist) and I told my neighbor he tried to damage my car, he inspected and saw no damage, I said there is no damage as I caught him, he tried to tell me that I was wrong for grabbing him, I didn't go further as the boy was very apologetic ( because he had been caught red handed) but if he was rude or resisted I would have seriously whacked him, I was very angry at the time and even surprised my self that I didn't whack him, if he was older I would have whacked him 100%
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #47
50YEAR

If that was my son, I would certainly have approved of you tactics. Lessons like this need to be learned early. He'll spread the word to all the neighborhood kids to avoid the "Crazy" guy with the "Sic" Ford. Good on ya I say.
50YEAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #48
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

I wouldn't have a problem with your actions if it was my kids...... Serve the little buggers right and if it makes them think next time, win/win.

Well done!!

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #49
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
He played the whole 'I can do what i want' card. So, i thought to myself, I'll fix this little bugger up.

Shopping centre security were asking him to leave shortly after. He left.
If he can do what he wants, say, "Well that must mean so can I" - and start clenching your fists and watch his attitude change.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #50
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Great job hulk, good to see matters dealt with properly and having a good outcome.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #51
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

this is what I was talking about in the other thread reguarding police and blatant disrespect for authorities. It takes a good beating, or like Hulks tactics, some absolute S*** Sacredom to actually teach a lesson, not a fine or a 'slap on the wrist'.

Well done, I say.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #52
BA Baracus
xls

Valve cap may of just been a means to an end, I bailed up group of lads around 12/13 year old (also on razor scooters go figure) in undercover shopping center carpark couple months ago randomly letting peoples tires down for kicks. Fairly stupid and potentially dangerous activity when mum or dad blogs comes out from shopping, loads the kids in the car and takes off out onto the main road missing half the air in their tires.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #53
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #54
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always frought with danger as you may get a visit from the parents and the "how dare you tell my son what he can or cant do" attitude....

Good on you anyways for doing it!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #55
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Always frought with danger as you may get a visit from the parents and the "how dare you tell my son what he can or cant do" attitude....

Good on you anyways for doing it!
Just tell them to get off your property or you'll be calling the Police.

Good on you mate by the way, he sounds like a good kid at heart just liked what he saw and wanted to chance it. Thankfully he wasn't one of them little shits that abuse their elders and have no respect for anyone or anything..those kids need a good beating!
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #56
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
I had my neighbor come out who witnessed
The whole thing. He said that I can't hold the boy (I grabbed his shirt initially and then his wrist) and I told my neighbor he tried to damage my car, he inspected and saw no damage, I said there is no damage as I caught him, he tried to tell me that I was wrong for grabbing him, I didn't go further as the boy was very apologetic ( because he had been caught red handed) but if he was rude or resisted I would have seriously whacked him, I was very angry at the time and even surprised my self that I didn't whack him, if he was older I would have whacked him 100%
What would be the neighbors reaction if the kid was at HIS car?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #57
GK351

The way i would of done it is follow him home and knock off his BMX and leave a note where the kids BMX was parked.

"Swap your BMX for my Crome Valve Caps"

Chasing kids down the street and grabbing them by the shirt will teach them a lesson but its a little harsh i think.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #58
Valid8
COOGES

Quote:
Yesterday I was mowing my lawn and had my xr8 parked across the road, from the bAckyard I noticed A young boy crouched down near my rims. I immediately went running after him, he was off down the street on his scooter, I gave chase and caught him within about 200 meters, I grabbed him by the shirt and we walked back to the car to inspect. He had taken off the Crome valve cap but it was on the road. He denied it and said he dropped his wallet, I said what is your mums number I was going to call her and tell her of her boys activities. He starts crying and pleads and says he would never do it again. I told him I would not let him go until I speak to his mum. He cried and pleaded, I told him that if he tells me the truth I'd let him go, he admitted guilt and I made him promise me he would not steal or damage property ever agAin. I also told him that if I see him around here I would grab him and this time I'd call his mum. I'll tell you he was one very scared young boy. He would have been 10 years old

I know it's only a Crome Valve cap but they need to be taught a lesson.

Was I too hard on him. Thinking back. I should have given him $2 and said here go buy a valve cap but if I ever see him again I'd knock his head off.
You were mowing the lawn? Where was the wife?
Old 27-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #59
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't like kids much, and this is the reason why.
Running free, doing whatever the hell they want with no respect for other people's property. One day when their vehicle gets damaged, they'll bleat and claim to never have done a thing such as this in their life...

If only the cops could give a clip over the year to teach people how to behave.

Nowdays, a criminal beats up a cop and it's 6 months in jail, and out.

A policeman beats up somebody that deserves it, and we've got, 'Police Brutality' splashed all over the papers, with Maurice and Blackburn all over the case, claiming that the one that really deserved it is now 'mentally scarred' and 'can never reach their full potential.' Fact is, they already have, and it's down the bottom of society.

Well done on your actions though. You didn't hurt the boy. Hopefully you scared him straight, and that his mother has to wash his undies by hand.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #60
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

You did the right thing mate, if he didn't learn his lesson after that then well what more can you do!