Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #31
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
Why?? How does having a V8 as the flagship equate more confidence in the brand and sell more cars???

because a v8 is awsome and people see them as the epitome of engines! i would buy a factory blown v8 from ford and use it as a daily and i dont evenlike the falcon. what does that tell ya?
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
A blown V8 would be a good place to start :

Im excited by the new donk It generated a lot of buzz on the job site(big site hospital) talking about this . It was quite funny because a few blokes were getting ****ed off . They were saying ther ****ed off because now there going to have to buy a new car . It was just a great day to be a ford fan
funny you should mention that , the other day i ended up on a bmw forum by accident, i thought while i`m here i`ll have a sticky beak what beemer guys chatted about , there was a thread on the ford coyote engine series and a lot of intrest in the new banger and i`d say 80% of the post`s were generally positive about fords direction too, i thought that was very interesting,
back on topic how can they sell more cars, keep doing what they are doing, make better cars , the other thing is......put back into the business something that has slowly ebbed away over the years in all parts of society and customer related concern`s i think and that is ........... qaulity service, if you treat a customer like a checkout chick in coles and send them on their way , it will be an experience for the customer that he will quickly want to forget, if you treat a festiva owner like he bought a
Rolls Royce he will remember this and tell all his friends, happy customers don`t buy the the other brand cars.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
This point, and the fact that Ford are at capacity right now seems lost on so many.....
What I don't understand is why Ford Asia Pacific made another surprising $75 million loss last year.
I could understand the previous $153 million loss in 2008 when FoA lost $275 million...
China and Asia are absolute gold mines for Ford so what's going on?
Is someone else in the region spending up big, Thailand on new plants?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This point, and the fact that Ford are at capacity right now seems lost on so many.....
how many shifts are they running?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
how many shifts are they running?
4Vman recons it's impossible for suppliers to ramp up, they are obviously
stuck at low production levels unable to surge with freshening market.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #36
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

make them less ugly
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #37
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
4Vman recons it's impossible for suppliers to ramp up, they are obviously
stuck at low production levels unable to surge with freshening market.

It may not be the supplies can't ramp up production. More simply that ramping up production costs more per unit. If you have a yacht with a 20hp motor it may achieve best efficiency running at 5 knots. 5 knots may be achieved by 50% throttle. To achieve 7 knots may require 100% throttle so it is not as efficient.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #38
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I also think the addition of a blown V8 will help get Fords image back out there, best think is it seems this is going to happen in the next few months!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #39
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
I also think the addition of a blown V8 will help get Fords image back out there, best think is it seems this is going to happen in the next few months!
I agree!! I think the new V8 will be a good thing for the Falcon.. I just wish they'd make a G8E, but dont thing that will happen.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #40
Bobman
Regulator

There's still a lot of people out there who do not like the look of the FG and much preferred the BA styling.

As others have said, many people will say they hate Fords when they've never driven one or even know much about them. They say it just because their mate said it. Shame they can't think for themselves!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
It may not be the supplies can't ramp up production. More simply that ramping up production costs more per unit. If you have a yacht with a 20hp motor it may achieve best efficiency running at 5 knots. 5 knots may be achieved by 50% throttle. To achieve 7 knots may require 100% throttle so it is not as efficient.
That and a complex equation of suppliers needing to ramp up and the line needing to plan.... It doesn't happen over night and it's costly if you get it wrong..

Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #42
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford have a vehicle that is 8/10 there. I keep saying this, but they have two elements missing. Some will disagree whole heartedly, but little things like Auto up/down windows and exciting options such as Ford SYNC, while seen as gimmicky, when bundled in one package make the motoring experience easier. That's just my opinion, and many will disagree so start the grilling and get it over and done with. The other is marketing/dealerships. I had to go to over 12 dealerships to find one that actually gave a rats behind about me, this is not acceptable. I'm a Ford fan and I knew what I wanted, so image if you don't know what you want and couldn't care less about brands? No wonder people steer clear from Ford, people in the dealerships either annoy the hell out of you or walk away when they see you. And yes, I buy all my vehicles new so I'm entitled to my opinion. The later part of this is their marketing, the whole 'Ford of course' thing was good for a while, but now it's boring. Ford need to tug at the heart strings of consumers, I get goosebumps when I see an Audi advert, they inspire me, beautiful lighting, the scenes are breathtaking and the music is equally well sorted. Ford need to be a company you buy from because you are inspired by their vehicles, and their advertising.

We need another 60's consumer showing, get a few Falcons to do 100 laps of some famous circuit, market the hell out of it, get the Ford US president down here and say Ford Australia has a future here, and prove the Falcon is reliable, exciting and inspiring. We have the same issue we did with the first Falcon, people don't believe in it...
Old 09-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #43
FPV70

Ok, What other people think is obviously the entire point, so there for why not think like Toyota and Holden and market them like they do. As they say, when in rome, do as romans do.
Ford once was a great company selling many cars and man, they were pure muscle.
People talk about the bogan attitude and say that it's a thing of the past. Clearly not cause alot of BOGANdores get sold reguardless of if they make money from them or not. Lets stick to facts. Toyota sell alot of cars and so does Holden, so to me that is either saying Falcon needs to be front wheel drive or it needs to appeal to the Bogan market more so cause lets face it, Ford might have owned Aston Martin but, Falcon is NOT an Aston Martin nor is it a Volvo or LR. So why bother trying to sell something at low volumes when they are trying to be top.

Another thing is Salesmen need to be revised on how to sell a car and the service dept need to be revised on the term "SERVICE" as we "ARE" the customers.

If you want to be big, you gotta think big, not just Try to be it and relying on the past is just going to get you a sore neck from constantly looking back all the time.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #44
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
How can FORD increase FG sales ???
Holden by out FORD Australia and rebadge them as Holdens !!!
Then they will drive out the doors in record numbers!!!!!!
Easy. Do what holden do!
Advertise the falcon every 5 minutes and sound as if it's a jetfighting time machine with super powers and SIDI! <<< oh and direct injection
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #45
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Ford have a vehicle that is 8/10 there. I keep saying this, but they have two elements missing. Some will disagree whole heartedly, but little things like Auto up/down windows and exciting options such as Ford SYNC, while seen as gimmicky, when bundled in one package make the motoring experience easier. That's just my opinion, and many will disagree so start the grilling and get it over and done with. The other is marketing/dealerships. I had to go to over 12 dealerships to find one that actually gave a rats behind about me, this is not acceptable. I'm a Ford fan and I knew what I wanted, so image if you don't know what you want and couldn't care less about brands? No wonder people steer clear from Ford, people in the dealerships either annoy the hell out of you or walk away when they see you. And yes, I buy all my vehicles new so I'm entitled to my opinion. The later part of this is their marketing, the whole 'Ford of course' thing was good for a while, but now it's boring. Ford need to tug at the heart strings of consumers, I get goosebumps when I see an Audi advert, they inspire me, beautiful lighting, the scenes are breathtaking and the music is equally well sorted. Ford need to be a company you buy from because you are inspired by their vehicles, and their advertising.

We need another 60's consumer showing, get a few Falcons to do 100 laps of some famous circuit, market the hell out of it, get the Ford US president down here and say Ford Australia has a future here, and prove the Falcon is reliable, exciting and inspiring. We have the same issue we did with the first Falcon, people don't believe in it...
Yeh those auto windows and folding mirrors make it a hard choice for me to :
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #46
GTP-03

LOOK at the end of the day every man and his dog knows that GM went bankrupt in one form or another, it has been thrown around in the media for a number of months, so I dont think thats Ford problem.

First of all, and this is very important, people want a good looking car on their list, yes a good looking car is number 1 on the list of many buyers, I know its in my list, so the Commodore although outdated wins hands down, this is were they are winning market share, it is as simple as that, otherwise the FG would be selling in a lot more numbers!

Many people will disagree with me but most people are Holden fans because of the looks/styling of the car rather than the technicality of the car or whats under the bonnet!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #47
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

How to increase FG sales? Hate to, but have to say this:

Introduce a FG Sportswagon across the Falcon range, including V8 and Turbo versions. :

As I said before in another post, Falcon has been destined further down the list ever since Ford relegated the wagon to base BA or BF versions only.

Dont think Ford can do much more now that would significantly improve sales of the sedan or ute IMO. They will never get even near to Commodore levels, just look how many Sportswagons there are around, every second VE Commodore I see these days is a wagon.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #48
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
LOOK at the end of the day every man and his dog knows that GM went bankrupt in one form or another, it has been thrown around in the media for a number of months, so I dont think thats Ford problem.

First of all, and this is very important, people want a good looking car on their list, yes a good looking car is number 1 on the list of many buyers, I know its in my list, so the Commodore although outdated wins hands down, this is were they are winning market share, it is as simple as that, otherwise the FG would be selling in a lot more numbers!

Many people will disagree with me but most people are Holden fans because of the looks/styling of the car rather than the technicality of the car or whats under the bonnet!

I completely agree .
An the proof is there the G6 is there best seller
An the ba sold really well in the initial period . Until the rest of the experience muddy the waters for some.
Territory sold well initially to .
No coincidence there all good lookers.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #49
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Yeh those auto windows and folding mirrors make it a hard choice for me to :
Did you bother to read what I wrote? While these are not essential items, combining a group of them into one pack makes a car a whole lot more likeable. It's the little things that count. Can you honestly tell me you would rather hold down the window button all the way five times a day or have auto windows, it may not be a deal breaker by it's self but combining this with Global Entry and Global Close, well that's such a simple addition that can make the difference between a good and great feature, and therefore car. My car has a USB port, iPod Integration, Voice Control and Bluetooth. I could easily live without these items, but by combining these all together as one package my car is a whole lot more user friendly.

We have a fantastic Falcon already, we need to pay attention to these small things as the rest of the package is fantastic.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #50
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

A friend at work traded his EF Futura and bought an Aurion a few weeks back.

He liked the 'little techy things' that it offered that a Ford or GMHolden didn't. In particular the keyless entry and start. The other was the external mirrors moving downwards to aid reverse parking... He liked them because they were novel and good for the wife and 2 kids. This sort of thing is what DannyHilton is getting at.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #51
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
The reality is Ford is a smaller company than Holden,
Thats pretty much where its at these days. I wonder if Subaru or Mitsubishi enthusiasts talk about beating Toyota sales every month.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #52
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

re-design the fugly rear end!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #53
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Put a full tank of fuel in it when it is sold. Not sell a brand new car to a customer only for the customer (me) to get 5 minutes down the road and fuel light to come on.

I spoke with the salesman about this and he said that this is just how it is - what a bunch of major league tight ***** - not happy Jan!!!
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #54
GTP-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
Put a full tank of fuel in it when it is sold. Not sell a brand new car to a customer only for the customer (me) to get 5 minutes down the road and fuel light to come on.

I spoke with the salesman about this and he said that this is just how it is - what a bunch of major league tight ***** - not happy Jan!!!
I bought a demo Territory and the dealer filled up the tank for me much to my suprise when I went to collect the vehicle, must be up to the discretion of the dealer.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #55
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Few things to remember, it takes more than a few good models to gets customers back in the seat. AU Falcon did burn a few customers with resale and lack of real power and style. Also even though BA,BF,FG is a great car so to is the VE a great car with few faults and a ripper V8 engine. Ford has No modern wagon as such with Territory old news and Falcon wagon either a joke or now discontinued. There is no long wheel base cars LTD or Fairlane if your that way inclined. I still believe Ford should do a Very exclusive Luxury Sedan above the G6E and G6ET inline with a Caprice and really make it look trick with 19's and heaps of chrome, Howe leather, factory DVD HID lights and LED taillights. Leave the turbo off it to keep the price down to the G6ET price. Territory should have been updated to FG spec and looks when SY2 came out. VE wagon has sold very well as it looks good and as we all want, it looks different. The VE HSV wagon looks better than the HSV sedans
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Thats pretty much where its at these days. I wonder if Subaru or Mitsubishi enthusiasts talk about beating Toyota sales every month.
No but I bet Hyundai and Mazda talk about knocking off Ford,
both are within about 800 sales of Ford at the end of March....

All Ford needs to do is hang tough, keep advertising and grow Falcon sales,
they are doing it with the right product mix now and doing away with station
wagon frees up space for a few more Territorys, G Series and XRs, and that
has to be good for business...

Last edited by jpd80; 09-04-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #57
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfiguring R
Put a Chev badge on the Fords?
warranty would be better..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #58
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull

well I just bought a new XR6T in Dec 2009 & it come with a full tank of fuel!!! Which I was surprised as the XL I bought was sold to me with an empty tanks & the Magna I bought from Madaz (2nd hand) was also sold to me with an empty tank.. So from all the cars I've bought only Ford put a full tank of fuel in it.. Different dealers, different levels of customer serivce!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
re-design the fugly rear end!
I love the rear end of the FG!! Very nice IMO
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #59
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A full tank of fuel in a Falcon is over $100. I'm sure in the darkest days of selling cars in 2009, If they put a full tank in, you would be driving off with their profits.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most people don't expect a full tank, the sight of a dealer
throwing $20 or $30 in the tank is enough for most people..