Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #31
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Three words: automated sentry guns.

More seriously, dome-style dummy cameras like these are cheap and look exactly like the real deal.
Add some stickers and motion-activated lights and you're off to a good start.
A dog bowl and workboots by the front door can be good visual deterrents as well.
And get a piece of thickish rope, tie it around something, with the other end looking like it has been chewed through....

One thing you are trying to do is make the place look 'unattractive' as a target.

If you aren't home in the evening, a couple of lights on timers is also a good idea.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #32
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Here is my list:

1) Comprehensive Insurance
2) Ring the coppers - they might increase patrols, or even know who's involved
3) Security Grills and Alarm and Light sensors
4) 2 really big dogs, one kept outside and the other on the inside (extreme but very effective) + personal liability insurance
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #33
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
try these guys for an alarm system

http://www.ness.com.au/Index.asp

*snip* but you need to have an active phone line *snip*
To expand on that.

If it is just a standard dialer (used to communicate between your alarm panel and monitoring company), when the phone line is cut you lose communication with the monitoring company.

Also keep in mind, a dialer can make a lot of local (I hope they are local) phone calls. It's dependant on what/how the alarm panel reporting is configured.

Also keep in mind, if using a dialler, the telephone point it uses should be rewired to Mode 3 so your alarm panel has priority over other phone points in the house. (Then make sure the panel doesn't run its self-test during the hours you are normally awake and likely to be using the phone).

You would also want a backup battery system in case of power outtage.

Securitel was a better option until it was phased out recently.

I replaced Securitel with a wireless GSM / GPRS communicator hence no phone line required and no phone call charges. Mine is a stand-a-lone box I chose to mount away from the alarm panel. My monitoring fee is roughly $39 per month. Due to my circumstances, that price may be cheaper than the market norm.

Jason (not a flame) although good monitoring staff do respond to panic / duress alarms asap, with my past experience and knowledge of a few good monitoring companies, I wouldn't be quoting 10sec. Sometimes they can be inundated and take longer than expected.

I was blown away with the first control room I got into years ago. Dual safe door like an airlock to get in. Back door was an emergency hatch like a laundry shute.

Scott, I don't know where your stats come from. I had someone attempt to break-in through the roof at home, they left when they triggered sensors in the roof. At a commercial property, over a number of years I had 3 separate break-ins in different sections of roof. On one occassion they triggered 6 alarm zones before leaving empty handed.

CCTV can be good. I had one goose walk straight up to one of my cameras.
If you have external power points, isolate them ie turn them off inside.

In addition to light sensors, my external gates at home are wired to trigger lighting. If you go that far, you can trigger anything with a bit of effort.

Most bars and grills are very good and far superior to aluminum security crap which are generally no better than a flyscreen. (Crimsafe and similar may be an exception, no idea). Depending on design they can also be used as a ladder to access a higher entry point. Anything that sticks out is a potential ladder / stepping stone.

If they want to get in they will... deter them as best you can and send them to your annoying neighbour

Good luck.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #34
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you ring the cops to get them to come and get the golf club? If there have been break-ins in the area recently they're likely to know about them and the golf club is more information that they can use.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #35
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

you can never stop them from getting in.

Security should be designed to work in 3 areas.

1: physical barriers to slow them down but in a domestic sitch there's not much you can do besides the obvious and bars dont work 30% of break ins are through the roof.

2: electronic alert. be it cameras and alarms or just an alarm make sure it alerts you best bet is to get back to base but failing that get it to call your mobile.

3: response either a guard or yourself returning to the site.

I run a security company in sydney mate i could help you out here but not in wagga wagga sorry buddy. It sounds like maybe you have a friend in the industry anyway so have a chat to him and feel free to PM me if you want advice on a particular brand etc btw there is only a few decent brands of alarms in oz that will work and not go off every 2nd day so stay away from the crap and DIY stuff.

Also guys who have the DVRs in the roof salvage them now while they are still alive HEAT is the number one killer of electronics and HDDs in particular.

Good luck mate

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #36
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

By a Bull mastiff or a Rotty, you don't mess with a horse sized dog!
Old 16-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #37
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a look at CRIMSAFE for your windows/screendoors. it's a tough non-cuttable screen that looks like flyscreens.
Old 16-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #38
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
have a look at CRIMSAFE for your windows/screendoors. it's a tough non-cuttable screen that looks like flyscreens.
X2. Best money I have spent on my house and look great too. Much better than the diamond ally mesh IMO, but it will cost you double $. As for getting out in a fire, there is easy escape latches on bedroom window screens that only operate from the inside.

Personally, I always liked the idea of perimeter Claymores on a trip wire, but the wife says "Too far Dear"
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #39
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Considering the golf club is in the back yard with the dog one can assume they now know your dog isn't a threat, at night i'd have the dog inside if nothing else so that when they try to break in the dog will be alert, where if it's outside and they bring him/her a nice treat you will not be alarmed to their presence.

Dowles in the windows, good dead locks, alarms, ect are all good ideas if you have the funds.

I have been thining about some new security stuff for my house lately but lucky for me my dog automatically barks if anyone comes near the fence at the back and side of out property and at the front there is nowhere to break in out of sight.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #40
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
30% of break ins are through the roof.

I run a security company in sydney mate

feel free to PM me if you want advice on a particular brand etc btw there is only a few decent brands of alarms in oz that will work and not go off every 2nd day.
Can you share some detail on "30% of break-ins are through the roof? I had no idea it was so high.

Also, I am suprised at your comment that there are only a few decent brands of Alarms in Australia - can you point out what the good ones are?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post