Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: Old ambo`s

You would be very surprised the speed the new 318 and 319 mercs can do, even our 519 dual stretcher unit is no slouch. They will certainly drag off a 80's model F truck (I know because I have operated in some). As for getting to hospital fast, because we now have defibrillators, all the front line resuscitation drugs, advanced airway techniques and even ultrasound is available to us, we do not need to get there that quick anymore. What we need is a sensible smooth drive that allows us to work rather than a rocket ship run that delays those procedures because you are getting thrown around too much to work.

Proof is in the pudding, our survival rates are much higher now than they were when they used to hot up ambulances. We no longer hot up ambulances, we hot up our treatments with better skills and equipment, safer for everyone.
Old 26-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Proof is in the pudding, our survival rates are much higher now than they were when they used to hot up ambulances. We no longer hot up ambulances, we hot up our treatments with better skills and equipment, safer for everyone.
I'd agree with that...but you have to admit, it's hard to replace the sound and feel of a worked 351 or 308 in a big chrome-bumpered monster...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #33
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I'd agree with that...but you have to admit, it's hard to replace the sound and feel of a worked 351 or 308 in a big chrome-bumpered monster...
Maybe so but I would predict none of my patients give a crap about that.
Old 27-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You would be very surprised the speed the new 318 and 319 mercs can do, even our 519 dual stretcher unit is no slouch. They will certainly drag off a 80's model F truck (I know because I have operated in some). As for getting to hospital fast, because we now have defibrillators, all the front line resuscitation drugs, advanced airway techniques and even ultrasound is available to us, we do not need to get there that quick anymore. What we need is a sensible smooth drive that allows us to work rather than a rocket ship run that delays those procedures because you are getting thrown around too much to work.

Victorian spec 316 with the 4 cylinder engine is hopeless, an old lady on her motorized scooter would kick its *** off the line.

I reckon you'd be better off with box body ambulances like some of the bariatric Sprinters, a LOT more room to move around everywhere.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As for getting to hospital fast, because we now have defibrillators, all the front line resuscitation drugs, advanced airway techniques and even ultrasound is available to us, we do not need to get there that quick anymore. What we need is a sensible smooth drive that allows us to work rather than a rocket ship run that delays those procedures because you are getting thrown around too much to work.

Well done my friend, someone who can get across that the old swoop- and scoop days are long gone.

Cheers Vincenzo (Retired Ambo of 16 years here in the NT - 1982 to 1998)

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes some of these modern vans are fairly sprightly, i suspect modern gears and gearing are a big part of that, they seem to have a nice wide track on them too, while i have`nt driven any of the sprinters , i have driven a transit a few years ago with the small diesel and auto, not really sprightly so much , but not too bad for what it was, it did certainly handle ok though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post