Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #31
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam
Let me get this straight. You've got an XR6 that came out of the factory with extractors, you've changed them for some after-market extractors, and you actually expected a performance gain?
this one
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #32
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
I believe sureflow said somewhere that their 100 cell cats comply with euro 3 therefore legal on an AU but might wanna ask them to be sure. Not only are they excellent products they are very affordable

The Ballistic 100cpsi cats are euro 2 compliant, meaning that they are a legal upgrade on an AU. I would hate too try and argue it to a cop though.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #33
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahhh euro 2. That's right cuz ba onwards is euro 3
you'd still probably fail emissions (depending on how the car is running) and/or noise
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #34
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Get a 200CPSI cat if you want to stay street legal - still up to twice the flow of a standard cat, and the standard ones when new aren't that restrictive (they obviously are if they're blocked!).
in SA. as far as im aware there isn't a restriction. how ever can i pose the question of. how a police officer can test that your cat is 100 or 1,000 cell?

but i guess staying legal is an important thing

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #35
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
in SA. as far as im aware there isn't a restriction. how ever can i pose the question of. how a police officer can test that your cat is 100 or 1,000 cell?

but i guess staying legal is an important thing
In SA, I doubt anyone could tell.

So if I could make stuff out of asbestos, but no-one could tell, does that mean I should? Hmmmm, thought not.

But if 100CPSI is legal for an AU, then go for it; I was told they are race versions only, which makes them not street legal in my book. I'd rather stay legal than possibly face thousands of dollars in fines, plus the expense and hassle of having to get an inspection done etc if I got caught. At the end of the day, a 100CPSI cat is not going to give you any benefits over a 200CPSI cat on an AU6; it just sounds so cool (lame, IMO) to boast that you have the minimum rated cat they make.

This is how you can be detected:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...erter-question.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 08-03-2010 at 10:02 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #36
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Just to clear things up, the AU2 onwards T series (and XR8 220s, IIRC) are the only AU Fords/Tickfords to come with headers (rather than cast manifold) from factory, but even then they weren't very good with quite a pinch in one of the driver's side primary pipes to clear the steering column/rack assembly.
Upon checking the EF/EL workshop manual, it appears that all of the V8's got headers, and I can confirm that the EL XR8 definitely did (Series I and II). All of the sixes however seemed to have missed out. Being an EL XR8 owner, I had assumed that all XR's had them in accordance with their 'sports' breeding. Tunnel vision....my bad.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #37
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam
Upon checking the EF/EL workshop manual, it appears that all of the V8's got headers, and I can confirm that the EL XR8 definitely did (Series I and II). All of the sixes however seemed to have missed out. Being an EL XR8 owner, I had assumed that all XR's had them in accordance with their 'sports' breeding. Tunnel vision....my bad.

lol you know what they say about assuming....
but seems like the OP isnt offended so i guess i shouldnt be, just a mistake after all
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #38
munchkin323
AU XR6

Finally got back onto the forums after a looong weekend away. After having a good read through the discussion it would appear that i was mistaken with leaving the orignial cat on the car. I will save up some cash and look into getting a new one. What price range should i be looking at for a high flow cat that complies with Aus emmision standards?

Now the extractors i have are JMM streetfighter. The primary pipes are not huge so i believe that this should improve low to mid range torque. The car feels a little more responsive since having the extractors installed; however the gains are not that noticable. Maybe with a change of cat things will improve further.

I do not have the JMM sticker on the rear window so this may be where i have also gone wrong ;)
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #39
The Monty
Just slidin'

Around $220 for a Ballistic cat from sureflo exhausts (one of our sponsors) and around $50 to put it on. Mine cost $30 to put on and get my extractors rewelded.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #40
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sureflow often have group buys you can generally pick one up for under $200, thy are stainless steel too and so is the substrate so it should last you a very long time
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR