Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #31
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: police clamping down on modded cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
I envy Australian performance Falcons, but I certainly don't envy Australian vehicle laws. I can do pretty much whatever I want to my vehicles and not be hassled by the police as long as I drive responsibly. I can even have some fun on the street, and I can certainly go to a cruise without worry.
mabye we should all go to America seems alot better than our govco's rules.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it surprising the police target the car scene but leave the rest of the drongos alone. On any given day in a shopping centre carpark I would estimate 5% of cars have an illegal tyre, or under inflated tyres and probably stuffed shocks.

A work college had his suspension break in his focus, from going too fast through a corner with stuffed and bouncy shocks. When I asked him about it he said it had been doing it for only about 30 000k's.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe how many people here have taken Davway's post out of context! Personally I agree with what he is saying, but can't see how it relates to many cars on this forum. Cars that are too low look stupid and are deemed to be dangerous, loud exhausts sound stupid and confirm you are a tool and people that drive around vehicles that would not obtain a RWC, well I cant use the words on this forum. These people are not car enthusiasts, just idiots that think people will like the crapbox they drive! And why did "hoon" come into the subject?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
iCat
doof doof doof doof

well waddya know - i'm a knob.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

It does relate to many cars on this forum, as i posted i have an engine tune in my car as do a lot of other people do. That illegal. Some people probably run illegal intakes etc.
Deliberately setting up a check station outside a car event tell me one thing, there is more money to be made and it looks like they are doing a better job in the eyes of the community.
The amount of crap heaps i see on the round is unreal as im sure you guys all see it yourselves, get them off the road.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #36
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Yeah so? So do all the xr6t's

I drive my car respectfully. Never breaks speed limit never puts me or other commuters in danger. Whats the problem?

Even the low cars, the only damage they will do is to themselves, whats the issue if they are yoo low!

And the loud cars, most motorbikes are more noisy and a hell of alot more dangerous. But they drive by unchecked. Invisible to noise restrictions
I'll call BS on this.
You have a centri strapped to the side of a Boss, you've said before you aren't interested in tracks. Given that nothing even starts to happen till you are past 3000rpm, unless you forked out the $12k just for something shiney you'd have to be pushing past the speed limits just to notice it is there.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #37
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
And why did "hoon" come into the subject?
Because at any chance the media are trying to make hoons out to be the worst thing that has ever happened on this planet.

I saw the word used in reference to the proposed new jail term increases for police chases.

A poll would be interesting to see how many members here actually have legally modified cars. Especially the Victorian members.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #38
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Sorry, but if your car is too low, too loud or obviously not RWC, it shouldnt be on the road.
You may call such people enthusiasts, i call them knobs that have no regard for anyone else on the road.
If you mod your car legally, you have nothing to worry about, however, if your one of the 95% of people that mod their vehicles ILLEGALLY - you should be worried and you probably deserve the pretty yellow sticker your going to get.
Is that you Sudszy???

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sorry guys unfortunately I'm a knob too, I've got a cold air intake on my diesel Focus, illegal modification for a P player.

Brb gonna club some more baby seals.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Guess I'm not a bogan anymore, just a nob. I can live with that. I love doing up cars but none of them will ever be 100 percent legal but they will always be safe.

Weekender. AU XR8 s2 sedan. 427 windsor, t56 magnum. 3.9 locker.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #41
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
Guess I'm not a bogan anymore, just a nob. I can live with that. I love doing up cars but none of them will ever be 100 percent legal but they will always be safe.
Nailed it.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #42
EFFalcon
Last warning

I don't think i own a legally modified car.
too loud or too low, lock me up before i kill someone.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 10-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #43
SIMBAD
RAPID GT-P

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This thread: BA-BF diff cradle removal for diff bushes 

I guess I'm lucky in my area. The police know my car and have pulled me over before only for the random breath test. They have even complimented on my car and said it sound nice!
But another thing, they have never seen me drive like a tool and flog the guts out of it around every corner in town.
There are other people around my town and a certain bloke I know used to get picked off every single time they saw his cars. And they have been nice cars, although v8 h****n's ht, hk vl vt vt vx ve to name a few and he's always had trouble. I remember his mum and dad winging that they even got pulled up when they drove his cars.
It's no louder than my car but man.. They used to hassle the crapper out of him.
That being said he has been caught many times before driving like a knob/tool/hoon and brings the attention to himself.
But this is my area and the cops seriously aren't that bad here if they are respected. They will show some respect back.
But like always, respect has to be earned.
Full Difilippo big boy exhaust /4.5" body ballistic metal cats / boss 315 plenum & twin throttle body coupled to bpr airbox / powerbond underdrives / herrod 290 cams / malwood opt 3+ / hrs Pegasus rims 19x8.5 front - 9.5 rear / nitto invo 245-35-19F & 275-35-19R / whiteline swaybars/ Under bonnet bling / 4.11 harrop truetrac

Enhanced by BLUEPOWER

supercharged 363 dart takes on au work ute http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342906
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #44
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have this discussion with many 4by lads
Just because someone is an enthusiast doesnt now or ever mean their car is safe or fully legal for road use
Many 4by enthusiasts run tyres,body lifts,suspension lifts outside the legal road use codes,but because they are enthusiasts doesnt make them except from the laws
Its no different to any car scene
Keep em legal,keep em safe, theres no issue
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #45
BaraFGXR6

There is a fine line on this between police discretion and those who beg to be the media's next top story.

More often than not, if your car is neat and tidy and you pass the attitude test, you will not be given a canary.

If you talk back, rev your car like an idiot (hopefully most of this forum can tell when they are revving like an idiot) and your car screams dodgy then you have no one else but to blame.

Your car so low its obviously below 100mm? Running around 30-40mm ground clearance? So loud it makes peoples ears hurt and could damage a young persons hearing? Then no apologies needed, you are a knob and deserve the yellow sticker. Be as proud as you want and talk back as much as you want, you walk the knifes edge long enough your bound to get cut.

Your car just on 100mm, maybe 5mm under or your a couple of decibels over and the copper/RTA gets you? well thats unlucky and the copper is the knob in this instance but still within legislative right to book you. It sucks for everyone but thats the game you play.

In light of what happened in the OP's post?
I would bet my bottom dollar it is the political pressure on the police to be seen doing something rather than them simply looking to make someone's night a mess. Just another media fan fare to get the government looking good to the general public and meanwhile cops are taking all the flak for it.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #46
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Deliberately setting up a check station outside a car event tell me one thing, there is more money to be made and it looks like they are doing a better job in the eyes of the community.
The amount of crap heaps i see on the round is unreal as im sure you guys all see it yourselves, get them off the road.
Ill agree , doin this at events is easy targets and easy money
A bloke i knew years ago had a top shelf merc,his front tyres were seriously stuffed,massive inside edge wear, there was a road side vehicle inspection, pulling everything over, but ol mate in his shinny merc got waved thru
Yep his car wasnt legal,not at all
The next day my skyline got inspected after 1 hour of stuffing around , the best they could get was a faded rear number plate
The only way to curb the rubbish on the roads is mandatory 12 month inspections....end
But theres no money in it for the government ,as theres less targets
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #47
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
I'll call BS on this.
You have a centri strapped to the side of a Boss, you've said before you aren't interested in tracks. Given that nothing even starts to happen till you are past 3000rpm, unless you forked out the $12k just for something shiney you'd have to be pushing past the speed limits just to notice it is there.
Now you know how i drive too?

So do all honda owners drive at 5500rpm all the time to see some power. All the boss 5.4 owners wind them up past 4000rpm and centri owners...lol.

My boss v8 pulls well down low. I dont need to stretch its legs.

In case you didnt get it, i dont break any laws on our roads, do not drive aggressively and respectful to other drivers.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #48
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
The only way to curb the rubbish on the roads is mandatory 12 month inspections....end
That would all but destroy car modding in Victoria.

I'd love to see a system like WA, NSW or QLD, in regard to car modding, implemented in VIC.
I guarantee you would see a hell of a lot more legally modified cars.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #49
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

What you people are missing though is it's not the Police fault. They get told what they need to do, and they need to do it.

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #50
TZENU
XY Driv3r

So should I take the wheelie bars off and disconnect the nitrous before going for a drive?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #51
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
So should I take the wheelie bars off and disconnect the nitrous before going for a drive?
Just the NOS.
Wheelie bars make it safer.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #52
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Quote:
Ill agree , doin this at events is easy targets and easy money
A bloke i knew years ago had a top shelf merc,his front tyres were seriously stuffed,massive inside edge wear, there was a road side vehicle inspection, pulling everything over, but ol mate in his shinny merc got waved thru
Yep his car wasnt legal,not at all
The next day my skyline got inspected after 1 hour of stuffing around , the best they could get was a faded rear number plate
But theres no money in it for the government ,as theres less targets
Annual safety inspections in my eyes dont do alot. Man of the cars in the town I live in(tiny little country town) are unroadworthy buckets with busted lights, bald tyres, broken exhausts and very smokey but yet they are somehow still on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaraFGXR6
There is a fine line on this between police discretion and those who beg to be the media's next top story.

More often than not, if your car is neat and tidy and you pass the attitude test, you will not be given a canary.

If you talk back, rev your car like an idiot (hopefully most of this forum can tell when they are revving like an idiot) and your car screams dodgy then you have no one else but to blame.

Your car so low its obviously below 100mm? Running around 30-40mm ground clearance? So loud it makes peoples ears hurt and could damage a young persons hearing? Then no apologies needed, you are a knob and deserve the yellow sticker. Be as proud as you want and talk back as much as you want, you walk the knifes edge long enough your bound to get cut.

Your car just on 100mm, maybe 5mm under or your a couple of decibels over and the copper/RTA gets you? well thats unlucky and the copper is the knob in this instance but still within legislative right to book you. It sucks for everyone but thats the game you play.

In light of what happened in the OP's post?
I would bet my bottom dollar it is the political pressure on the police to be seen doing something rather than them simply looking to make someone's night a mess. Just another media fan fare to get the government looking good to the general public and meanwhile cops are taking all the flak for it.
I agree that if your attitude isnt right you will get fined. My last car wasnt legal and was very low and was loud as well and the cops never once did a thing about it. Many times they pulled me up and usually I had kids in the car and just spoke to them like anyone else and I was left alone to continue on my way.

My current car is a slightly different story. Its more modified then the last car but I have been working with professionals who know the rules to make sure the car is as legal as it can be but I know that I will be hasselled as soon as I get to a big town and I have accepted that.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #53
bng

Way to hard to mod a car and keep it legal. You might as well keep it stock, only way it'll stay legal
Try and make a list of legal mods you can do to your car. I reckon it'll be a short list
Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
This police crackdown was done in Syd/NSW which as I believe all NSW registered vehicles need to get a RWC every 12 month's ?

From what I seen on ACA, most of the vehicles that were targeted or shown to be defective were rightly so, they were Ricer's and such, vehicles with 4+ inch exhaust's out the back that do nothing but drone, sticker's all down the front fender like Blitz etc, dark tinted window's, 20+ inch rim's rolling on the bump stop's, hell did anyone even see the Red VN at the end.
We have all seen these kind of vehicles before and most of us have either laughed at them or asked the question "why are they on our road's" why don't the police take them of.

So let's not sit here and moan about the Police as they are doing the right thing in my mind kerbing these vehicles, the driver's themselves show little or no respect to the Police.

Maybe the law should start focusing on the bussiness that issued the RWC, because as far as I see it there seem's to be a lot of unroadworthy vehicles getting around NSW if they have compulsory 12 month RWC inspection's.
I have no doubt that there are some dodgy RWC's handed out, maybe if their attention was turned toward's those that issued them unlawfully then we might not see these so called ricer vehicles on our road's as much ?.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #55
BHDOGS
Banned

So people strap blowers to there cars lower them make them loud then complain they look modified and get picked on lol give me a break it's called humanity people pick on what stands out that's life by this theory cops should Inspect granny's for drugs and let the obvious in your face druggie walk by to be what politically correct?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #56
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

defects are occupational hazards.. no big deal.. up there with getting a smack off your mum...
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #57
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

There's a difference with pulling someone over who is being a douche and throwing the book at them. That's fair enough, I don't have an issue with that. Though, I have been pulled over and been done for my intake and exhaust and my ride height when I was just cruising. Wasn't giving it a boot full or anything. I was just taking my little brother and sister for a drive to the shop so they could spend the little pocket money they had and I get pulled over for an "RBT". Next minute I have 3 points and a hefty fine along with a big yellow sticker.

Some police see P plates and then dollar signs just roll over their eyes or something, I don't know. But picking on someone that doesn't deserve it whether their car doesn't meet road standards by even just a little bit is too much. Throw the book at the ******* that deserve it. Not the ones that enjoy modding their cars to look different and not to be a nuisance on the roads.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #58
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
If you cant differentiate between "just un-roadworthy/illegal mods", to "complete disregard for the law, ADR's and other road users safety"..........

Some of you lot need to open your eyes, theres a big difference between a true enthusiast that has respect for the Police, other road users and regulations and then there are those that do not.
If you are in the "do not" category, your a knob.
Think what you want, i really dont care.

So what you are saying is that that people who don't mod their cars but let them fall into a state of disrepair aren't more dangerous than people who obviously look after their cars more than most?
and what about the cars that were legal before all the rule changes that aren't now and they just don't know that??? Are they knobs too??
Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #59
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

BaraFGXR6, great post, saved me a ton of typing.

Do the crime, do the time. We mod our vehicles and know what the letter of the law is and where we cross it. We do 65 to save a minute in a 60, get done, life goes on. Calculated risk for some, on rare occasions a child in a hospital or a bent pole when we swerved as it compromised our braking distance. If lifes quiet, we're happy. If we get done, so be it, we're adults and knew what we were doing.

There are knobs, and I suspect some may populate this forum. But the majority of members here play safe, are respectful, and try to live on that legal edge as best they can while accepting the risk.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 10-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #60
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i plan to get a lot knobbier
Closed Thread