Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i totally agree with trailers for broken car reasons
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Just getting off the thread a little bit, does anyone know if the return road at calder has improved over the last 6 months or so. The last time i was there you really needed a 4WD to get back.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Trouble is pre 86 cars pass different emissions...
The way to keep this to true street and keep it simple is to have full exhaust and some noise limit..As much as we don't like it.. But it wiil bring some of the higher power levels down...
Though power is only part of the need to go fast traction and control is another..
So then suspention mods like ladder bars which are illegal on road cars, along with 90/10 shocks etc.. The problem with rules is keep them simple...
Maybe TRUE street should be STEET tyres!! Then that will kill off the high end guys...Food for thought???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Calders return track is still rooted.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Calders return track is still rooted.
I've lost count of how many wheel allignments that return tracks cost me.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
Walkinshaw
Two > One

One method could be, at the end of the 400m your car should beable to pass an RTA inspection. Set it up as in

Assume there is an RTA inspection station in the return lane, to be classed as a street car your car would have to pass this inspection station, otherwise it's not classed as a street car.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #7
Barry_v
rocknrolla

just make teh return lane a public road. voila, everyones a street car.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
JG3282
Awake after dark

This old chestnut... Been through it all before.

Classic example about 5-6 years ago, was racing a car of mine which could be legally driven. A guy in another car challenged me to grudgies and I won 2 out of 3, lost the first one after a slowish reaction time. Anyway he then had a sook because my car just wasn't a street car [it was at the time with a legal roadworthy certificate] because it didn't have the front and rear bumpers, the plates weren't on it and the triple carbies didn't have air filters. It had a full exhaust, real street tyres [not those pretend ET radials], Mobil Premium unleaded from the bowser and standard rear wheel arches.
His car on the other hand had mini-tubs, holley dominator, big arsed bonnet scoop, slicks and avgas plus about 200 cubes more than it left the factory with. So I challenged him to a drive from Melbourne to Heathcote to race the following Sunday in FULL street trim as well as a stop off at the cop shop for a quick road worthy check. Guess who didn't turn up...

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
JG3282
Awake after dark

Even though it's not a Ford, a guy called Michael Brody up in Howlong [NSW/Vic border] has a couple of Torana's. The first one is more of a daily driver and runs 10.55 with a stroked 308. The other has a 400 chev and is more of a weekender and runs 9.80. Both cars would pass a legal road worthy station any day of the week [except race day] and run at the drags on Mobil Synergy 8000 fuel. I've cruised with both cars and spent a couple of hours looking for sneaky pete's myself.

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
UNRULY

I have a simple criteria in my argument. Arrive at the track after driving there, raise the bonnet to allow the safety checks, then shut it. Straight out on the track.

No race fuel pump gas only. Steel belted radials, exhaust that exits in a legal position. Anything such as a roll cage installed is for safety. I know it technically makes it illegal for street use, but if you are running times faster than 10.99 you need safety gear, foolish if you dont.

Bragging rights for a tuff steet car have two different categories:

1. Street trim: See above criteria.

2. Street car, modified for race day to enable faster times (slicks, race fuel, nitrous etc)
UNRULY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 02:04 AM   #11
ezy10

what i class as a street car is a car that can drive to the track bolt on slicks or use street legal tyres race and drive home and if by chance gets pulled over by cops he doesn't get an EPA or a canary for some ilegal mod.

jason ghillers turbo xe perfect example driven to heathcote bolt on slicks run 9.97 and drive home.
ezy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 02:12 AM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy10
jason ghillers turbo xe perfect example driven to heathcote bolt on slicks run 9.97 and drive home.
George Haddad orange HQ was like that run 9's all day with exhaust on, just a tyre change.

His 67XR Falcon run 10.4 with no tyre change, soon this will have a turbo on it.
Car is driven on M/T radials 100% whether its street or strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg george.jpg (33.4 KB, 43 views)

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
ezy10

In the USA when they have a street meet they make the cars drive to the track towing there own trailer with parts , and at some meets they make the cars that are going to race in the street car class go on a 15mile cruz before they race.
ezy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

As street cars out of the factory become quicker, faster, and more refined I am beginning to think the separation between street and drag car is becoming a grey area. In my opinion if you take your car to the drags, it becomes a drag car. If you drive it on the street its a street car.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

lol think about what you're saying there... so if i buy an excel, take it to calder it's a drag car? come on man...

i believe a street car is something that you start up in your driveway, get to the drags, pay your fee, register, race it, and drive it back where it came from.

simple.
Old 24-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #16
protd
TUFF FORDS

i dont think it matters if the car is trailered to the strip for me it's common sense i have a 800km round trip so if you drive there and break something your screwed i mean its all good to say its not a streetcar if it's not driven but anyone that runs 12's and quicker and have a fair hike to the strip its not worth the hassel's of driving.. if it was a 30min drive by all means drive it but otherwise its on the trailer
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #17
tel408
Your converter do this!

My telstar is a full chassis "Drag Car". It is designed to xtracked the most out of my drive train. It is designed for drag racing only, and can never be driven on the street. A "Street Car" will never perform the same way as a "Drag Car", because it is a compromise. People who race "Street Car's" either can't afford or don't want a purpose built "Drag Car". I've seen many "Street Car's" run 9's and 8's, but dose that make it a "Drag Car"? No. Like I said, compromise.

A1 Performance Torque Converters
tel408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
FRDPWR
416w 10.5@127mph

everyone got there own interpretation of a street car. look at my esp for example i class it as a street car, its registered runs pump fuel, full interior and it runs 10.5's. I drive it to work on nice days and also drive it to car shows. But when i take it racing i take the pips off and do a tyre change.
FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #19
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

haha nothing about my xf i legal... but its my street car hehe, noise, no heater or spare, height, exhaust dump, 393cu motor in a 6cyl shell, bugcatcher, no heater/air dials in dash, speedo in miles, hate to think of emissions... but its MY streetcar.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #20
tel408
Your converter do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan
haha nothing about my xf i legal... but its my street car hehe, noise, no heater or spare, height, exhaust dump, 393cu motor in a 6cyl shell, bugcatcher, no heater/air dials in dash, speedo in miles, hate to think of emissions... but its MY streetcar.
Since whev dose an XF's speedo read in miles?

Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #21
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tel408
Since whev dose an XF's speedo read in miles?
May be he has an autometer speedo

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #22
FRDPWR
416w 10.5@127mph

FYI - for rwc u dnt need a spare tyre but if u do have a tyre there it needs to be in good condition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan
no heater or spare, .
FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #23
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDPWR
FYI - for rwc u dnt need a spare tyre but if u do have a tyre there it needs to be in good condition
and secured correctly

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 11:35 PM   #24
UNRULY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
and secured correctly

It can be flat and bald, just secured properly.
UNRULY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #25
tel408
Your converter do this!

Well that's silly!

Old 15-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #26
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

my perception of classification
street car: pump fuel, full exhaust, DOT tyres
race trim (street car): race fuel (excluding methanol), no exhaust, no interior, slicks
drag car: not street legal, race fuel (inc methanol), no exhaust, slicks, rollcage, parachute, nitrous
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #27
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwigybo
my perception of classification
street car: pump fuel, full exhaust, DOT tyres
race trim (street car): race fuel (excluding methanol), no exhaust, no interior, slicks
drag car: not street legal, race fuel (inc methanol), no exhaust, slicks, rollcage, parachute, nitrous
So how would you classify a car that drives to and from the track,runs full exhaust and pump fuel,but changes to slicks at the track?
My point is that its really hard to shoebox every car into a classification.
Some cars will run just as fast on DOT radials as they do on slicks,while on others the same tyre is a smokefest..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post