Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #31
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Who has sold a car they loved and then seen it trashed

I sold a XA GT Coupe that saw out it's last days on a speedway track up in the Pilbara......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I sold a XA GT Coupe that saw out it's last days on a speedway track up in the Pilbara......
That sucks mate!
Things they did with muscle cars then :( ( I take it was a long time ago )
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My 65 f100.

It was in street machine this month.

They new owner has replaced the Clevo with a Nissan motor.

Tom if your out there... Contact me.
Old 22-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #34
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sort of see the point people are trying to make, but lets be fair dinkum here once you have signed over the rego and collected the cash, what happens to it isnt any of your business.

yea Ive regreted selling cars (the ZC & XP Wagon are to prime examples) but if the new owner desides to turn them in to wrecks thats their business

just like I dont care what happens to an ex I really dont care what the new owners do with my old cars

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #35
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I sort of see the point people are trying to make, but lets be fair dinkum here once you have signed over the rego and collected the cash, what happens to it isn't any of your business.

yea Ive regretted selling cars (the ZC & XP Wagon are to prime examples) but if the new owner decides to turn them in to wrecks thats their business

just like I don't care what happens to an ex I really don't care what the new owners do with my old cars

ahem to that.........
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I sort of see the point people are trying to make, but lets be fair dinkum here once you have signed over the rego and collected the cash, what happens to it isnt any of your business.

yea Ive regreted selling cars (the ZC & XP Wagon are to prime examples) but if the new owner desides to turn them in to wrecks thats their business

just like I dont care what happens to an ex I really dont care what the new owners do with my old cars
It's none of our business no but seeing our old pride and joy that we spend alot of money and time on only to see TRASHED after we sell, swap them is heartbreaking. Sometimes we have no choice but to sell. Look at all the regretfull sale adds on gumtree, Ebay ect.

It is upsetting to me anyway and many others.
Old 22-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #37
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
It's none of our business no but seeing our old pride and joy that we spend alot of money and time on only to see TRASHED after we sell, swap them is heartbreaking. Sometimes we have no choice but to sell. Look at all the regretfull sale adds on gumtree, Ebay ect.

every one treats their car differently some turn the car in to a better car others trash it, its life

I once built an old Holden with my brother inlaw for him, when finished he had thrown A LOT of money at, it invovled a full back to bare metal respray inside and out, full retrim full drive line upgrade, there wasnt a nut, bolt or screw that wasnt turned checked replaced painted or chromed,

He drove it like he stole it, 3 years later he traded it on an 86 Subaru Leone and paid the dealer cash to even it up.

I did see this car again about 18 months later, this new guy had spent alot of time fixing every thing that was abused and changed a few things on it to suit him in my opinion he made it a better car than when I finished with it, and before my BIL trashed it. so there is some good storys

as for the regretful sales lines in peoples ad's, mate thats about as beleivable as a little old lady drove it to church I think less than 5% would actualy be regretful sales

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #38
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sold my R32 GTR to a bloke in Melb, got a ph call a week later to tell me i'd sold him a dud and my $30K+ engine build was dead.

After a quiet a few very tense ph calls he let's slip he decided to have a play around with fuel, timing and boost etc in the aftermarket engine management. When this went pear shaped he decided to plug in an ecu from a completely different model and god knows what else.

End result = $30K+ boat anchor

I was gutted because circumstances at the time forced me to sell it, Otherwise i'd probably still have it.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I got a story, bit opposite to everyone else.

Basically this kid who was 17 at the time, got a s13 turbo. He got the car to drive on his red p's. His Parents paid for the car and everything else. He told his parents it was a non-turbo. He spent another few grand on rims, Stereo and interior.

His parents, as a surprise was planning on getting the car on the road with rego and Roadworthy for his 18 birthday. They took it to the mechanic's, the mechanic told them it was turbo. The parents hit the roof.

They put the car up for sale for $2000, this is where I come into it. I find this car on Gumtree, pay the $2000 for the car. Tell the parents what I want to do with the car.

I get the car home, it will be my new track car. I rip everything out of the car so only the dash shell and 2 front seats are left. Get a text from the kids parents about a week later asking me about the car, told I had stripped it. They wanted pics to show there son. So I send them the inside of the car.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #40
V8 6I

Back in the mid 70s my father paid $75 for a 1960 Falcon at auction.It sat in the backyard for awhile so I played with it.Too young to drive,It was a nice car.He sold it some time later for $110.Some months later I saw it on the TV news,It went into a tree and the female driver was killed.Not my car but its the only one I saw later.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #41
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Oh please... say it isn't true.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #42
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7

Maybe a bit of karma for your GM bashing....
J/K
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #43
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sold my EL XR6 last week - now while I had a thread here about clutch/firewall issues, I believed it was all sorted and fixed properly, not just masking the problem and it felt fine, but I had already pulled the trigger and bought a newer car.

Just got an SMS tonight from the buyer's Dad who came along for the initial look and test drive asking if it has a heavy duty clutch or did the clutch just go hard. Now I'm not sure if the work done has failed or his son has been working it hard as young fellas do when they get a new set of wheels. In the end I sold it for a fair price of $4500 - it's not perfect as there's better examples but there's even more in worse shape.

If there's a question of bad workmanship, I'll put him in touch with my mechanic - I've paid more than $1500 on firewall repairs/reinforcement and a clutch in the past 12 months. Hindsight tells me I should have sold it last year! Other than that not my problem any more.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #44
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old Cortina got sent to the scrap heap about a month of so after it was sold. No idea what the VL's upto it. We sold it to a Holden collector. He bought it for his young bloke on his Ls.

They seemed like genuine people so I'd say they look after it like I did. Although I do joke that's it's probably got stockies on the back and they do burnouts in a Maccas carpark.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #45
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Maybe a bit of karma for your GM bashing....
J/K
Well at least I don't bash ford on a FORD FORUM, There is few of us that dont!
Old 23-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #46
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sold this and bought that.Still not over it.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #47
Falcman0o7
Banned

[QUOTE=KW XRT]Sold this and bought that.Still not over it.

I wouldn't either!
Old 23-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #48
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The top is the bigtank.if you nkow what I mean 159LT tank in the boot.School kids used to love it.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #49
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my first car was a datsun 180b bought in 1996 for $250 off a neighbour spent 12 months rebuilding it with parts from a 1600 race car. got stopped in the street guy wanting to buy it so sold it for $1800 on the spot and 2 months later he had a small accident and parked it up in his front yard for a few years till rust got the better of it.

and on the other side my brother bought a yellow XC GS with rebuilt 302 and perfect paint for $400 back in about 2002 and we took it to our farm and bashed it....looking back that was a mistake as it would now be worth $10k

and another bad thing we did was turn a genuine hx sandman ute into a 6cyl 3sp manual and used the running gear in my other car. sandmans where just another ute and van back then nothing special
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #50
Falcman0o7
Banned

and on the other side my brother bought a yellow XC GS with rebuilt 302 and perfect paint for $400 back in about 2002 and we took it to our farm and bashed it....looking back that was a mistake as it would now be worth $10k

Old 24-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #51
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an Efxr6 that i loved to death and polished and preened it every weekend. Sold it and saw it six months later with all the front end smacked in.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #52
patxbcoupe
aussie coupes belong here

About 15 years ago, had a steel blue 351 4speed XC GXL sedan, did some mods, owned and drove it for about 5 years, resprayed it myself, eventually sold it to a mate who parked it in the open every day, gradually deteriorated, he then sold it on, and I have just purchased it back, very rusty and totally run-down, was my first v8 and still a bit sentimental about the car, would love to keep it and rebuild one day, but unfortunately tags have dissappeared. Will try to track them down, but really have too many projects as it is....
patxbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post