Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
:
alright! please dont slam Moe you want to point the finger of blame? point it squarely at the ministry of housing that have a baffling habit of housing single mothers with problems from everywhere else in Moe - and then when something like this happens people say "its the town" I can assure you it is not the town it is the individuals that the ministry of housing house here - thankfully due to the increasing in land values and rates increases accordingly it is no longer profitable to house single mothers here as their rents are based on their incomes when the rates outpace the yearly rent that can be collected the housing commission sells up and moves their tenants on - I am sick to death of people bashing Moe for it being a scummy place there are alot of good honest hard working people here like everywhere else - but as per usual lets dig the boots in and lets overlook the fact that the particular individual in question has been in Moe for less than 3 months, just so happens she got CAUGHT here so what does that say about the community here compared to where she was before??????????
:
I take it she's a neighbour...?

The best part about visiting Moe is leaving....

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #32
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I take it she's a neighbour...?

The best part about visiting Moe is leaving....
way to completely miss my point..........

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #33
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

I wonder what the outcome would have been if it was a father who did it, not a mother.

I feel so sorry for that little boy.
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #34
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

The saddest part is that this does not even scratch the surface of what goes on in this country alone. Activity like this only helps justify the governments big brother ideology (in their eyes anyway). My point is why can't people just use their brain a bit more? Why are we graced with some of the most incomprehensible people? And why do they get away with it while decent folk suffer? It's depressing.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #35
Mad Maxine

What gets me is that most kids wouldn't stand the taste of alcohol, so how many times has she done this BEFORE she got caught? A semi-comatose kid is easy to baby sit but holy hell, how on earth could she even have a MOMENTARY thought that would consider her giving this child alcohol????? WTF? Has this poor kid now got a lifetime of alcohol issues ahead of him? Vicious circle?

Absolutely apalling.

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #36
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
My 2 cents for what it is worth, ...it didn't take long in this thread for condemnation and lynching (not to mention the obligitory "death sentence"), to raise their oft seen heads.
I am sure nobody actually knows anyone like this woman hey?
I would not ,for a moment, condone the evil that has probably been visited on this kid, but this is a perfect example of the need to help ,if not this particular woman,then many others suffering from the sort of social degeneration that lets people think this kind of behaviour is acceptable.
Lynching her or locking her up for life won't cure this madness, so a little rationale before the thread gets too off track, although unfortunately, it didn't take too long to get the blah blah blah..103kph in 100 zone comparison.
So what do you propose should happen to her? In my opinion we as a nation have become to soft (We have become too focussed on assisting the guilty and ensuring that we dont infringe on their rights - rather than having any concerns for the victim) The child in this case has his entire life ahead of him - without being able to predict the future - the chances of him staying out of the juvenile justice system wouldnt be good (how could it with the upbringing he has received so far) The judge would have known this but decided to do nothing to give the kid a chance,

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #37
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

You guys do realize that this and worse happens every day in every town and city don't you?

Only difference here is that this incident has been latched onto by the media.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #38
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and that makes it right ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
You guys do realize that this and worse happens every day in every town and city don't you?

Only difference here is that this incident has been latched onto by the media.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #39
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
and that makes it right ???
Where did I say that?

Of course it isn't right, what a stupid presumption on your behalf. it is however a sad daily occurrence for some (many) kids and the outrage shown over one case here shows how little awareness of it there is in the greater community.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #40
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No bucknaked, that really isn't the point.
You have quoted half a sentence of mine out of context, there is no comparison between accumulating points for minor traffic infringements and the content of the original post.
This is in the "non ford related" section of the forum, and has nothing to do with comparisons with other driving related emotion.
It's a tragic story that would be better addressed without recourse to car related logic.(IMO. only)
but you said about 103 in a 100 after it was mentioned. In conte t or not. Maybe you shouldn't have made a reference to it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #41
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Where did I say that?

Of course it isn't right, what a stupid presumption on your behalf. it is however a sad daily occurrence for some (many) kids and the outrage shown over one case here shows how little awareness of it there is in the greater community.
So what's the solution - if what you say is true and that this is a daily occurence...

Sometimes you need a scapegoat or someone to be on the front page to outrage the community and get something done about an issue...

This mother obviously has other issues, and yes should be treated and receive counseling on how NOT to treat your 5-yr old... (and that booze for kids = BAD)....

I think that this thread has missed a major point of the whole outrage... the fact that this lady now has 3 suspended sentances...

WHAT IS THE POINT of having a suspended sentance, if the person breaks another law and the original suspended sentances aren't enforced???

Our judicial system is a farce...
Old 04-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #42
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
So what's the solution - if what you say is true and that this is a daily occurence...

Sometimes you need a scapegoat or someone to be on the front page to outrage the community and get something done about an issue...

This mother obviously has other issues, and yes should be treated and receive counseling on how NOT to treat your 5-yr old... (and that booze for kids = BAD)....

I think that this thread has missed a major point of the whole outrage... the fact that this lady now has 3 suspended sentances...

WHAT IS THE POINT of having a suspended sentance, if the person breaks another law and the original suspended sentances aren't enforced???

Our judicial system is a farce...
I don't have a solution, it will take a smarter person than I to come up with one.

A frontpage article is all well and good and brings it to the forefront of the community...however this will only be for 5 minutes and then everyone will go back to their day to day lives and not give another thought about it. Some may not but the majority will.

The courts have been soft and have yet again failed, but if she goes to prison where does the child go? There are not enough foster homes or emergency accommodation locations for all children in need.

Want to really help and make a difference? Go to Uni, get a degree in either Social Work or Welfare and become a Child and Family services worker or a Child Protection Officer. CPO's have absolutely ridiculous case loads at the moment for the simple fact that no one wants to / can do the job. If you can't do that and still really want to make a difference then maybe look into becoming a foster carer or an emergency accommodation provider.

Words and outrage are great but really get nowhere, action on the other hand do.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #43
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I don't have a solution, it will take a smarter person than I to come up with one.

Want to really help and make a difference? Go to Uni, get a degree in either Social Work or Welfare and become a Child and Family services worker or a Child Protection Officer. CPO's have absolutely ridiculous case loads at the moment for the simple fact that no one wants to / can do the job. If you can't do that and still really want to make a difference then maybe look into becoming a foster carer or an emergency accommodation provider.

Words and outrage are great but really get nowhere, action on the other hand do.
I've got 3 kids of my own that are higher on my priority list than everyone elses kids (and thats not selfish, thats the way ALL parents should be)...

I think the major problem, I suppose with society in general moreso than this individual case, is the fact that we are all so self-indulged and busy in our own lives and achievements - that frankly we don't really give a hoot about anyone elses lives or problems...

Though, forums (not taking a shot at FF) have given EVERYONE a voice... so like you said - words and outrage are great, but action is what achieves things...

Unfortunately the people that steer the ship when it comes to action (government) are busy with other problems (just like society) and these cases and issues get swept between the cracks...

Its easier to just turn and look the other way...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #44
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

A frontpage article is all well and good and brings it to the forefront of the community...however this will only be for 5 minutes and then everyone will go back to their day to day lives and not give another thought about it. Some may not but the majority will.

The courts have been soft and have yet again failed, but if she goes to prison where does the child go? There are not enough foster homes or emergency accommodation locations for all children in need.

Similar to the point I was making previously.
Forums by their nature are often immediate and reactionary, I was in no way condoning the womans actions or implying that we were being too soft on her, or demanding retribution or punishment.These things all fail to recognise the fact that people like this need help!! (And I don't mean we should be pandering to their base lack of any standards most people would deem to be normal) They are actually sick, and fact is most people don't want to recognise this. It is far easier to get rid of the problem: sentences, jail terms or worse, but does it really help the child in question, or countless other victims of this sort of action that happen all the time.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #45
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Similar to the point I was making previously.
Forums by their nature are often immediate and reactionary, I was in no way condoning the womans actions or implying that we were being too soft on her, or demanding retribution or punishment.These things all fail to recognise the fact that people like this need help!! (And I don't mean we should be pandering to their base lack of any standards most people would deem to be normal) They are actually sick, and fact is most people don't want to recognise this. It is far easier to get rid of the problem: sentences, jail terms or worse, but does it really help the child in question, or countless other victims of this sort of action that happen all the time.
Exactly right.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #46
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if the kids would be any better in foster care though...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #47
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alcohol again involved.

notice a trend?

i wonder though if you could use this in court

"but your honour, surely doing 115 in a 100 zone is not as bad as getting my 5 year old smashed......."
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #48
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Ahhhhhhh. Another who thinks a little more deeply.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #49
irlewy86
Meep Meep

One of the problems as mentioned above is places were governments "dump" there welfare cases. Every government at one point has created these micro "ghetto's" of housing commision and the welfare dependant. The soloution of course is to evenly spread housing commision through all suberbs so those settled in them have a better chance of pulling themselves out of there situation by being surronded by other residents who have and residents who have pride in their community.

Another logical policy being defeated by NIMBY (Not in my backyard)
Old 04-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #50
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
One of the problems as mentioned above is places were governments "dump" there welfare cases. Every government at one point has created these micro "ghetto's" of housing commision and the welfare dependant. The soloution of course is to evenly spread housing commision through all suberbs so those settled in them have a better chance of pulling themselves out of there situation by being surronded by other residents who have and residents who have pride in their community.

Another logical policy being defeated by NIMBY (Not in my backyard)
They've been rectifying this issue for years now.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #51
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I wonder, is it her fault or society's love affair with alcohol. We have this culture where drinking is at the core, we have to have it.

When we consume it we lose our sense to reason. Then we can commit all sorts of atrocities.

Prevention is, as they say, better than the cure. Ban alcohol.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #52
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I wonder, is it her fault or society's love affair with alcohol. We have this culture where drinking is at the core, we have to have it.

When we consume it we lose our sense to reason. Then we can commit all sorts of atrocities.

The problem there is if you ban it altogether those who really "need" it will find a way of getting it.

A perfect example of this is a small island off the coast of Australia inhabited by Indigenous Australians. They put a blanket ban on alcohol there so they found a way to ferment Vegimite and make alcohol from that. True story.

Also I like a beer and I drink in moderation, I don't want to lose that because a few people with issues don't have enough self control to know when enough is enough.

This woman does not need to be thrown in prison, she'll just come out with more knowledge than what she went in with. What she needs is counselling, supervision of her and her child and a support network. Not for her, but for the child.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #53
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
The problem there is if you ban it altogether those who really "need" it will find a way of getting it.

A perfect example of this is a small island off the coast of Australia inhabited by Indigenous Australians. They put a blanket ban on alcohol there so they found a way to ferment Vegimite and make alcohol from that. True story.

Also I like a beer and I drink in moderation, I don't want to lose that because a few people with issues don't have enough self control to know when enough is enough.

This woman does not need to be thrown in prison, she'll just come out with more knowledge than what she went in with. What she needs is counselling, supervision of her and her child and a support network. Not for her, but for the child.
i don't think he's talking about banning it

but restriction seems a good idea.

no more advertising on TV just like cigarettes

drive thrus only open from 11am till 9pm. run out? bad luck.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #54
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
I know a few people that would love to have children but for what ever reason are unable. They have signed up for adoption and even tried to adopt children from overseas (similiar to Brad and Angelina Jolie) However without the celebrity status its a very slow process and they are told there just isnt the children available for adoption. Then you hear cases like this and it does make you wonder whether a better decision would have been to remove the child and place them in the care of someone who would give them a better chance in life.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #55
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Sure Moe isn't the nicest town in Vic, but I could think of MANY regional SA towns that make Moe look like South Yarra or Toorak in comparison, both aesthetically and with respect to the percentage of bogans and unsavoury individuals.
Like Adelaide

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #56
balthazarr

Quote:
My 2 cents for what it is worth, ...it didn't take long in this thread for condemnation and lynching (not to mention the obligitory "death sentence"), to raise their oft seen heads.
I am sure nobody actually knows anyone like this woman hey?
I would not ,for a moment, condone the evil that has probably been visited on this kid, but this is a perfect example of the need to help ,if not this particular woman,then many others suffering from the sort of social degeneration that lets people think this kind of behaviour is acceptable.
Lynching her or locking her up for life won't cure this madness, so a little rationale before the thread gets too off track, although unfortunately, it didn't take too long to get the blah blah blah..103kph in 100 zone comparison.
From the linked article: 'Kylie Eastwood told police she "just wanted to have a drink with her son because he likes his alcohol", the Latrobe Valley Magistrates' Court at Morwell was told.'

This woman should have her children taken away from her. Where the hell are DHS?

I feel sorry for the kids. She's an idiot and deserves everything she gets.

We should require a licence to have children... we require one for just about everything else... why not require one for the most important, demanding task anyone will ever undertake - raising a child?

To get a licence, you'd have to prove that your mentally, physically, emotionally and financially able to support a child.

Of course, it'll never happen.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #57
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
From the linked article: 'Kylie Eastwood told police she "just wanted to have a drink with her son because he likes his alcohol", the Latrobe Valley Magistrates' Court at Morwell was told.'

This woman should have her children taken away from her. Where the hell are DHS?

I feel sorry for the kids. She's an idiot and deserves everything she gets.

We should require a licence to have children... we require one for just about everything else... why not require one for the most important, demanding task anyone will ever undertake - raising a child?

To get a licence, you'd have to prove that your mentally, physically, emotionally and financially able to support a child.

Of course, it'll never happen.
I'm curious sometimes with peoples ways of thinking.
The old "licence to be a parent" gets trotted out regularly, but put that into context with just about every other licence that we are issued with???
When I got my first car licence, I was taught to drive, given instruction,and had explained to me the responsibility that went with being given a licence.
My children are in the process of gaining their licences, and I would like to think that they are getting encouragement, and nurturing and instruction from me as to what is involved to be able drive safely and responsibly on the roads.
The licence is the rubber stamp on the piece of paper to say "we have passed the test"
You don't get to that stage without a lot of input from a lot of other sources.
I didnt want to use the car analogy here ,but have a look at some other threads and see the responses to peoples licences beng revoked, and cars being confiscated (or worse, crushed), for failing to achieve the standards that most people would consider normal
Old 05-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #58
lemon
The "Rose"

I agree,Where is DHS.If she is doing this to a 5 year old ,what is she going to do when he is 10 or 15,if he lives that long.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #59
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon
I agree,Where is DHS.If she is doing this to a 5 year old ,what is she going to do when he is 10 or 15,if he lives that long.
(I think lemon is actually agreeing with balthazarr, not me)
Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #60
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

Correct 100%.....

Australia in essence lacks any "real" culture and can lay claim to being one of the worst countries for not only consuming alcohol, but promoting it.

A few days ago I was listening to the radio and was appalled at the so called DJs... Karena and Maz.... Poor old Karena went on about how hard it was for her not to have touched alcohol for wait for it... 2 weeks. The poor girl. Seemingly she enjoys a few drinks EVERY DAY.... and is finding it tough going.
(Er hello... the term "alcoholic" rings a bell)

Anyway, the whole jist of their boring banter was that they were about to announce who had won their "beer recognition" competion!
The prize was.... a carton of beer every WEEK FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!

What the frick is wrong with people???

Seeminly this is very acceptable by todays standards of Aussie society, where being a yobbo is the "in" thing....

Later on in the day while listening to another radio station the announcer mentions the case about the 5yr old being given alcohol by his mother and how disgusting it was...

Why is no one alarmed?

How come there is a massive increase in women driving their kids to school while drunk?????? In the MORNING!!!! Let alone the huge numbers who get caught in the afternoon!

Again, why is the government not alarmed?
Why is it the dads arent alarmed?
Lets all just sit back and reach for another beer.....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post