Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #31
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny888
Always going to happen.
But seriously, the standard 'poverty pack' VE has got the be one of the ugliest cars going at the moment.
They are all fugly if you ask me. I wouldnt want to bee seen in one.
Old 23-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Good on them for winning it.

At least the Aurion didnt get it
Have to be grateful for that.
True that.
Hey, if it means ford build an even better car as COTY gives them something to aim for; better for all of us.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 23-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #33
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Do people still read Wheels?
Old 23-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #34
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoon Hoon
Well done, VE. Finally caught up with the BA of 2002. This proves it.
You took the words out of my mouth :evil3:

Seriously though, well done to Holden they have obviously made a good car pity they didn't quite nail the look :

This gives Ford something to chase though which is only good for us.
Old 23-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #35
Mick K.

VB, VN, VT, VE - every time there has been a major revamp of the Commodore it has won the COTY award. Very predictable.

What was interesting is that the most of the drive footage was showing V8 VEs - no wonder - that alloytech V6 is a shocker. Noisy, harsh, no low down torque and max power right at the redline.

MK
Old 23-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #36
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Good on them for winning it.

At least the Aurion didnt get it
Have to be grateful for that.
my thoughts exactly.
Old 23-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #37
boy02
Starter Motor

sour grapes dont taste too good do they?
well they didnt for me wen the terri and ba won car of the year lol sorry had to say it.

wheels car of the year is a terrible test anyway they will always award it to the new car on the block whether it be holden or ford because they have to support the local manufacturers. VT won, BA won and VE won something tells me Orion is going to win too?

but you guys are missing the whole point all together anyway
AURION DIDNT WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:
Old 23-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #38
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
"Holden means a great deal to Wheels" To resite a famous qoute
yeah I guess ford must have threatened to remove advertising if the terry or the ba falcon didn't win in 02 and 04 either
Old 23-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #39
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

So the VE Valiant won coty again? I thought they stopped making them years ago.
Chrysler fans will be pleased!

Ed
Old 23-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #40
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoon Hoon
Well done, VE. Finally caught up with the BA of 2002. This proves it.
Spot on Phoonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
VB, VN, VT, VE - every time there has been a major revamp of the Commodore it has won the COTY award. Very predictable.

What was interesting is that the most of the drive footage was showing V8 VEs - no wonder - that alloytech V6 is a shocker. Noisy, harsh, no low down torque and max power right at the redline.

MK
I have driven a Cadillac CTS with the very same engine and it isn't a bad unit. Wonder why the local variants are so schisse?
Old 23-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #41
MON10A

i thought holden owned wheels magazine anyway.look down the list of previous ''winners''scarry isnt it.
Old 23-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #42
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have been more supprised if the VE didnt win it.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:01 AM   #43
motorsportnerd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Next year will be some rice bubble that will be released shortly, 2008/9 will be orion, then a few fillins then the new platform commy.

This is the way of things........
Well, there's a new Corolla out this year, but doubt that'll get it. There's also a new Merc C-Class. That is possible.
But according to Motor Jan 07, Ford dealers have been told to expect the Mondeo in showrooms (relax Falcon lovers - in hatch and wagon only, not sedan). And if it is, that will almost certainly be a shoe-in to get the award based on the early rave reviews from Europe.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #44
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Falc'manWill Wheels regret this like they regretted awarding VN?[/QUOTE]

And what about the Camira?
Old 24-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #45
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey the VN was better than the EA.

Especially in series 1 form
Old 24-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #46
GTP-814
love the quad cams

wheels have been in Holdens pockets for years, including box seats at F1, wine & dined at all major events for years & free use of vehicles.

Why is everyone so surprised, this is why I gave up on Wheels ago as it is not a free lance journalist magazine any more. They take other companies advertising money to support the cost of production that all.

Wheels mag is *****
Old 24-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #47
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on them. The VE is a nice car.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #48
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-814
wheels have been in Holdens pockets for years, including box seats at F1, wine & dined at all major events for years & free use of vehicles.

Why is everyone so surprised, this is why I gave up on Wheels ago as it is not a free lance journalist magazine any more. They take other companies advertising money to support the cost of production that all.

Wheels mag is *****
And I suppose you were singing a completely different tune when the BA and Territory won.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #49
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't think that Wheels are the best when it goes your way,and that they are getting paid off when it doesn't.

These judges are just like anyone else with their own oppinions.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #50
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Again well done Holden/GM....they deserve the credit....the BF is a joke....Ford are going to get smashed in the next 18 mths!!!!

Well Done GMH!!!
Old 24-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #51
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
You can't think that Wheels are the best when it goes your way,and that they are getting paid off when it doesn't.
too true, it reminds me of the Kelly/lowndes incident last year, Ingall drove in much the same way the year before, yet no one said anything...

**flame suit on**

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 24-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #52
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
And if it is, that will almost certainly be a shoe-in to get the award based on the early rave reviews from Europe.
Unless it's built in South Africa, it will price itself out of the market Vectra style. They would have done better taking the Mazda 6 and re-introducing the telstar.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #53
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Unless it's built in South Africa, it will price itself out of the market Vectra style. They would have done better taking the Mazda 6 and re-introducing the telstar.
If they brought back the TX5 Turbo, I'd definately go for a test drive I love my car but I miss my Ghia comfort.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #54
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

ofcourse it won, 10% of their billion dollar budget went to Wheels mag ;)

Nah in terms of equipment and build quality, i think Holden raised their own bar a fair bit, and the re-structuring of the SS tag ect, great move on their part, ALL i see around my area is every bogan wearing a rick kelly shirt or a '51' shirt, driving VE SS's, never a SS-V though
Old 24-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #55
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
too true, it reminds me of the Kelly/lowndes incident last year, Ingall drove in much the same way the year before, yet no one said anything...

**flame suit on**
People seem to forget the finer details when it goes their way. But that topic is way over.

Yeah there are people who don't think the VE should have won, fair enough all that needs to be said is "I don't think it should have won".

But to say that they are getting paid off is just a stupid comment. If the Orion wins people won't be saying that.
Old 24-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #56
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

These things are the ugliest things ever made how could they do this!! arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
Old 24-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #57
aannese
Starter Motor

Thumbs down

This is absolute bull**** the VE looks like **** and from what i've heard is not at all reliable. And all these people that say Ford need to get their act together can get screwed caus obviously theyre not ready to release the new falcon and i'm sure when they do in 2008 it will actually be stylish, reliable and powerful unlike the commonhore!
Old 24-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #58
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure the V8 models are great but what about the crappy V6 models which everyone acutally buys? I can't help but feel that wheels is a tad bit biased.
Old 24-01-2007, 01:40 AM   #59
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Whether you love it or hate it the VE has raised the bar for ford in terms of giving customers what they want. Hey, even the aurion has raised the bar in many ways, especially transmission. The fact that you can get the 6 speed auto in the xt for a small premium as opposed to the 7k cost of the box is testament to this fact. Consumers will be the winner and as said before, it will force ford to be more generous as well as clever in their new designs. Curtain airbags in the VE has meant that we will more than likely see them in the Orion. If holden don't pressure ford into making their cars better then we all lose. Frankly, kudos to holden for a job well done; Ford have won before with an all new car and rightly so, Ford will win again with an all new car in 2008.

Quote: