The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Default Re: XR6 or XR5T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Nope i have nothing against the falcon, ive just found there is other cars out there besides the falcon, if i hadnt of driven the Focus id be driving a manual FG Turbo ute and i can tell you i wouldnt be complaining but i was just curious about them (XR5T) and the shape has always done it for me.
Yep the definition of fun is dependant on the person aswell ill admit that and its something that in most cases wont change, it did with me i was like you prefered the RWD set up, not so much anymore.
I wasnt having a dig at you per say, but it annoys me when people want to have an opinion on a car that in most instances they have never even sat in one.
But putting a Zetec and a mondeo XR5T together to get an idea of the Focus XR5 doesnt work though the XR5 Mondeo is Very different.
Pushing hard in the twisties, yeah ive done it ill admit it.
RWD I5T XR5 yeah id buy one. I really do like the 5 cylinder Turbo donk.
I agree, there are people who cant see past a falcon and dismiss anything FWD, and there are also those who think anything falcon is bogan and made like rubbish; both categories are wrong and robbing themselves of a great experience.

Interesting you were looking at a ute XR6T, that I didnt pay attention too, if you didnt drive the sedan then I can understand why the chasm between the focus and falcon looks like that...the ute needs a smooth race track to be settle other wise she is all over the place, as a ute should be; IRS utes are for pansies.

I only mentioned the zetec and mondeo because while the overall experience is still different; its not that far off. I understand how good the I5T is and the Zetec can handle well, so the XR5T should be a bit firmer and stable.

Its like a F6 owner telling a XR6T owner they have no idea how a F6 handles and goes...when really the only difference is a bit more power and spring/shocks.

As I said, id kill for a I5T RS, and who knows, when it comes time to choose between a new XR6T/F6/XR8(??)/GS then a RS will be more affordable anyway, they are awesome but for $55k id go a F6 first.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no cruise control could be a bit tiresome for some, many features not fitted for me would`nt be a deal breaker, but no cruise......no thanks.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #33
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
no cruise control could be a bit tiresome for some, many features not fitted for me would`nt be a deal breaker, but no cruise......no thanks.
Until they fit factory cruise in the 5T, it'll always be a no buy from me. Went Golf on my last hot hatch jaunt largely due to no cruise in the Focus.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #34
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
XR5T vs XR6 = XR5T

XR5T vs XR6T = XR6T

Yes some of the tactile quality is better in the focus, but honestly, you will have more fun in the XR6T. Also dont let focus owners lead you to believe that they are fault free.
I think that depends on what you define as fun. I've been for a massive thrash in an XR5T and it was a lot of fun through the corners, very nimble. I still prefer the XR6T's face melting acceleration, but in tight corners the Focus is definitely more fun. Then again bogans will say that drifting the XR6T through the same corners is fun too.

But back on topic, compared to the n/a XR6 the 5T has the edge.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #35
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Until they fit factory cruise in the 5T, it'll always be a no buy from me. Went Golf on my last hot hatch jaunt largely due to no cruise in the Focus.
Same here. I can look past the FWD but not cruise, it is a deal breaker.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #36
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think they will ever fit factory cruise to a car they stopped making nearly a year ago. . Theres aftermarket cruise available.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #37
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm currently driving a 2010 XR6 6spd and i love it but i would dump it in an instant for the chance to have the XR5T - i absolutely LOVE the Focus XR5's, they're so much fun to drive, great interiors, very good sound system and they've got enough space inside for 99% of people on the road. Definitely my choice.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #38
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I don't think they will ever fit factory cruise to a car they stopped making nearly a year ago. . Theres aftermarket cruise available.
But you shouldn't have to go aftermarket, that is the point. It is 2011 ffs, who doesn't offer cc on a 40k+ car.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #39
glavas

i can not believe that people dont buy cars because no cruise control. come on!!!!!!!!!!! how did you live before it?
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i can not believe that people dont buy cars because no cruise control. come on!!!!!!!!!!! how did you live before it?
People moan that cars don't have heated seats (like it really matters in oz) at least cruise is actually useful.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #41
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the Focus ST's primary market (i.e. Europe) there isn't a call for cruise control on that type of vehicle, that's the reason it never had it.

As has been stated above there are a number of CC kits which work extremely well if you feel the need for cruise.

I drove mine for plenty of all day stints and had no issues, it was a very comfortable interior and I didn't get a sore ankle holding the accelerator for that long.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about my XR6T - I need to use the cruise or my right ankle kills after a couple of hours...
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #42
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
People moan that cars don't have heated seats (like it really matters in oz) at least cruise is actually useful.

how is it useful? i find it boring and defeats the point of driving!!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #43
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
After having cruise, I would never have a car without it. It makes long trips and freeway commuting so much easier and more relaxing. Also stops my foot getting sore from pressing that bloody pedal for hours on end. It also helps heading up the Hume where there are speed cameras every 5km.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

So is the Newel Hwy, but it can be handy.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #45
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some people on here don't buy cars because the indicator stalk is on the wrong side

CC is a actually a useful function that helps when doing long trips.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #46
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Before I had cruise control, I wasn't spending 40+ hours a week driving.

My BA had an issue with cruise control disengaging, and one long day at work where I spent about 11 hours in the car, my right ankle felt like it was going to fall off. Well all have different criteria for purchasing our vehicles - this is a must have for my vehicle.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #47
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Seriously?!

The purpose of driving is to get from point A to point B in 99% of my time in the car. So how does cruise control defeat that purpose?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #48
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Seriously?!

The purpose of driving is to get from point A to point B in 99% of my time in the car. So how does cruise control defeat that purpose?
Dont worry about him, his prone to making some outlandish comments.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #49
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Dont worry about him, his prone to making some outlandish comments.

so just because i differ from the rest of the sheep does not mean i cant voice my self.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #50
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

My current car does not have cruise control. But when I look for a new car in 12-18 months cruise control will be one of my requirements.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #51
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
30 years ago I used to drive the Hume and Pacific Hwys very regularly, in that time they have changed from 1 lane goat tracks to two lane highways (mostly). Back then I was younger and used to scoff at ppl with cc and couldn't see the sense in it but the roads are now straighter and less driver orientated hence cc is a godsend. I lived without it cos I didn't need it. CC is also a lot better nowdays and more sensitive to road changes. And yes I still drive those roads very regularly. I wouldn't buy a car without it and if it didn't come standard I would find an aftermarket one. As for the XR5T I would be sure it will have it in the new model due here 2012.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #52
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
so just because i differ from the rest of the sheep does not mean i cant voice my self.
Of course you can, but dont think that being a black sheep makes you any more "right" than anyone else.

Cruise these days is a normal as AC, my 1998 EL had cruise, the focus is not a super euro sports car, its an everyday car and such should have cruise.

If we were talking about the RS then I would agree with you, but even then its a hard argument. Certainly in Australia cruise is good, but odd that the euro's dont kick up as apparently they have free ways and ease of traveling by car to other countries aswell.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #53
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not that you express yourself it's the way you express yourself.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #54
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
how is it useful? i find it boring
So is 10 hours of driving up the North-West Coastal Highway to Carnarvon.

Good thing on late model Falcons it can be retrofitted easily without the cables and ****ery of the old days.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #55
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Insurance for me on my EBII *a car from 1993 ffs* XR6 was something like $2500 with "Just Car" for comprehensive. (I was only getting a quote, I never get comprehensive).
I didn't even pay that much for the damn car.
In the end I got Third party fire and theft with *the name escapes me* for somewhere around $700 a year.

I hate ticking all the boxes:
18 years old
Male.
P2s.
"Modified performance vehicle"

**Must murder old women and babies/kick animals**

Anyway, the XR6 will use more fuel whereas the XR5 will cost more on insurance.
I'd say it works out about the same in the end, I know I'd have the XR6 in manual... but thats cos I'm sick of small cars.
I also hate ticking all the boxes -_-

Except what intrigues me is I am with Just car for my December built 1992 EB GLi with all my mods listed and anything else and I only pay $350 a year for third party, fire and theft.
Comprehensive was like $2600 though, pff.

IMO, I'd go with the FG XR6 cause I drive at least 500kms a week and most of it being long journey driving, so the extra leg room is far more appealing.
Both cars are incredible though so either decision you make, it'll be a good one!
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #56
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxctive
so the extra leg room is far more appealing.
I disagree with that - I'm 6'8" and had plenty of leg and headroom in the XR5. Infact I think the leg room difference would be marginal at best - I find my FG has less headroom than the XR5 did.

Edit:

Just checked -

FG:
Leg room: 1073mm

XR5:
Leg room: 1058mm

Mondeo: 1126mm
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #57
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then Mondeo it is! :P
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #58
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own a BA xr6t mk1 6 speed manual and my wife has a lv xr5t now to compare the two

breaks : focus
acceleration : falcon
top speed : falcon
manouverability : focus
bluetooth : focus yes falcon no
stereo : focus by miles
ride quality and comfort : too close to call
cabin noise : focus way lower
aircon : falcon by lightyears

focus also has auto up and down windows with remote which is a very neat feature and auto up from driver door on any window.

focus also will slow windscreen wipers if they are on intermittent and you are stationary

focus has a "fog warning light" and an ambient temp showing thing in the gauge cluster

focus' headlight, indicator and wiper stalks will take some getting used to

focus is also a far more forgiving car to mistakes and is much much easier to drive day to day.

the xr5t is quite a thirsty unit around town its economy is better than the xr6 but its not 4 cylinder economical..

but the falcon can do burnouts :p

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #59
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I own a BA xr6t mk1 6 speed manual and my wife has a lv xr5t now to compare the two

but the falcon can do burnouts :p
So it's the Falcon then.
Your BA would have a few k's on it by now and the Focus not so, Updated FG's would have better nvh and my FGXR6T has a far better stereo than my na BAXR6. My FG soaks up the bumps pretty well and is a dream on long runs. As you would expect a later model car would have better inclusions. My wife also would have recently bought a XR5T but as I knew the old one was on its way out she is happy to wait, hopefully not too long into 2012 for the newy. Either way it would be a tough choice, one I would like to have.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #60
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I had CC in all my cars and i thought id miss it when i got the XR5T but i havnt missed it yet and ive done 2x 2800km trips in it since ive had it.
1 more vote for the XR5T, the seats are sensational