Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #451
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
You are right, why take a soft roader to the shops when you can just as easily take your 10 tonne Landcruiser. Go hard or go home is what I say.
"soft roaders" are a stupid market segment and it astounds me that these sell in any great volume, there is a myriad of large cars both sedan and wagon that are just as well equipped as "soft roaders" and have improved handling, "soft roaders" are for those that believe they are better than everybody else, and as a result must have an elevated seating position, I have so much hatred for soft roaders I cannot express it, what is the point of a jacked up falcon wagon when in doing so you increase weight and degrade vehicle handling, if these people that buy these want to play the highest seating position game I will get me one of these

would driving that give me greater status and get my kids to school in a more safe manner than a sedan?

http://www.topgear.com/UK/videos/dirt-war

HUMM top gear agrees with me??????????? that makes them wrong then according to the elite on AFF

they must all think they are onions..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #452
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Well, Ford has dozens of new Territories registered in the same rego range as the above mules. Surely they can't all be mules? Seems like a lot.

There's also dozens of Falcons and Focuses registered. I'm guessing the Falcons may be FG2 mules?

YCG70x-87x. Over 170 cars!
Maybe someone in the "know" can confirm as I think they may not be mules but rather more advanced evaluation vehicles, which more widespread staff get to drive and take home rather then only new product development engineers. By now things like final finish/textured trim pieces and final spec components should be in place and evaluated so that suppliers can start on preparing for Job #1. IIRC they are usually the second last and then last series builds before the first customer cars are built.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #453
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
"soft roaders" are a stupid market segment and it astounds me that these sell in any great volume, there is a myriad of large cars both sedan and wagon that are just as well equipped as "soft roaders" and have improved handling, "soft roaders" are for those that believe they are better than everybody else, and as a result must have an elevated seating position, I have so much hatred for soft roaders I cannot express it, what is the point of a jacked up falcon wagon when in doing so you increase weight and degrade vehicle handling, if these people that buy these want to play the highest seating position game I will get me one of these
Jeez mate, are you off your medication or what?
Soft Roaders evolved from 4WDs and BOF SUVs,
the market clearly wants to buy them and the
motor companies are glad sell them day and night

Get over it.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #454
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Is this a ford forum? lots of silly, inane comments...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #455
Bobman
Regulator

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...223-196cu.html

Lol @ blanking rego.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #456
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I'd be happy with it as a family runabout

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #457
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here are the pictures that Ford Australia doesn't want you to see — the new 2011 Territory soft-roader.
from Bobman's Drive article link.

LOL, it wouldn't have left the PD completely "naked" UNLESS Ford wanted us to see it.
Old 23-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #458
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Ehh, sort of dosen't work the way i'd hoped.
Might look better in the flesh.
Old 23-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #459
Paxton
Cobblers!

That is very nice. I like them a lot.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #460
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Looks like the SX mudspats fit on the front but no rear going by that car....

Cant wait to see one with the LEDS blazing!!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #461
nstg8a

some decent (ie big) wheels will improve it 300%. whoever chose those ones needs their eyes checked.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #462
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

would driving that give me greater status and get my kids to school in a more safe manner than a sedan?

HUMM top gear agrees with me??????????? that makes them wrong then according to the elite on AFF

Short man sydrome?? Feels like it.

Ive had a Territory Ghia for work and now im back in an XR6 and to be honest as a work car travelling on country highways on a regular basis the Territory SMASHES the Falcon.. I bought the ute at the time because I needed a ute, but the Territory was by far a more comfortible car, vision was better, seating position was better, access in and out was better, It was easier to get into drive ways without ripping the front bar off, it was a great car and I hope that I can get get myself back into one.

If driving a territory makes me an arrogant dog as suggested by you then so be it.. Last time i checked the Territory was nearly on par model wise for price compared to Falcon..
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #463
XR8putts

WIN.

Great work Ford, can't wait to have a play with all the new gizmos this thing is rumoured to have.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #464
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Looksvery nice, black suits it.

Has some good road presence and stays true to fords global disign language.

Even the mid section doesn't look too dated, but the roof racks could have done with a going over, and the plastic filler panel on the tailgate is noticeable ommision, it could have been reshaped to include a chrome mould.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #465
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:

When you grow up mate and have a family and get out of your little box you live in, then you might realise soft roader's as you so call them are a wonderfull invention, having that extra space to not only carry luggage but having the option to have 7 seat's, is very popular with consumer's these day's.
Me being one of them.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #466
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

That back end is growing on me. And I agree, the tailgate needs a little chrome strip around the Ford badge to sex it up a little more.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #467
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whats the figures of the 2.7L TD, also i assume its a V6?

Kia has a 2.2L 4 cyl turbo diesel with 140 something killowatts and just over 400nm of torque.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #468
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

140kw
440nm

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #469
Matty4
Banana

Quote:

Here's a challenge for you,
Find me a vehicle (any make) that can tow over 2 tonnes, pull my 2.2T boat up a slippery ramp, carry 5 on a regular basis (7 on an irregular basis), has AWD, can carry enough gear for 5 to travel on an extended holiday, is easy to get into and get out of without straining your back (for those with a bad back).
The Terri can do all this and more. I don't class it as a "soft-roader", that class belongs to the likes of the RAV4, CRV, X-Trail, etc.....

BTW, Top Gear doesn't agree with you at all, only agreeing on the fact the X3 is rubbish in real rough stuff. Even jeremy Clarkson has an XC90 FFS!!...
Old 24-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #470
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If youve got young kids, it can be quite a pain reaching down to get them out of a low car, especially if you have any kind of back injury. If you are elderly or disabled in any way, it can also be quite a pain climbing in and out of a low car. Ever take notice of the door sills on a Falcon or Commodore and compare it to say a Rav4? In the rear of the Falcon its like sitting with you feet in a bath, now imagine if you of above average height trying to get out, letalone if you were elderly or had a disablilty of some sort. The Rav4 on the other hand has basically a completly flat floor, you can easily slide in and out.
Also take notice of the roads lately? Low cars with low profile rubber can be quite a pain, and then theres the car parks with speed humps and the concrete ends on car spaces. How often are you worried you will scrape you front bumper on these?
In an SUV you never have to worry about it.

Instead of having a vendetta on something you dont like, try and look at it from other perspectives and realise parts of it may be a good or better idea.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #471
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99

WIN.

Great work Ford, can't wait to have a play with all the new gizmos this thing is rumoured to have.
Exactly, the changes to exterior, interior and power trains should be enough to satisfy most genuine buyers.
While some are pretty reserved in their judgment, I think this Territory will be a winner,
there's something about the design that grows on me the more I look at it.

Last edited by jpd80; 24-12-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 24-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #472
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99

WIN.

Wow, I'm gonna go ahead and say that looks excellent. Amazing what a nice paintjob and removing all that electrical tape does.

Won't mistake that for the outgoing model. Hats off to Ford!
Old 24-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #473
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now, can we have something similar for the FG MK 2??????????????????????????
Old 24-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #474
RobVee

awesome
RobVee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #475
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Now, can we have something similar for the FG MK 2??????????????????????????
What if FG II gets a variation of Territory front clip, lights and interior upgrade with touch screen?

That would certainly be a simple and effective way of leap frogging past Holden's VE II Commodore......
Old 24-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #476
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
What if FG II gets a variation of Territory front clip, lights and interior upgrade with touch screen?

That would certainly be a simple and effective way of leap frogging past Holden's VE II Commodore......
It sure would. That and the introduction of the Ecoboost I4T, plus the release of the new Territory should be a good thing for Ford Oz.

I'm really liking the look of the new Terri. Very nice.
Old 24-12-2010, 03:40 AM   #477
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobVee
awesome

I swear I saw those headlights somewhere else before . They should take another leaf out of Honda's book: do the whole side window edges in chrome, and sculpt those door handles.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #478
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:

What a hater

Think of a "softroader" as something that gives people the versatility of the 4WD shape, all the room, comfort, commanding driving position (not because their drivers are little hitlers that want to exert their dominance over you, but because it's just a nicer position to drive from - take a Territory for a spin, you might be surprised), seating capacity, ground clearance (not all of us live in the city) without having to buy a hardcore 4X4.

It's funny you have all these things to say about softroaders being useless and their drivers thinking that they are better than everyone else.. yet you bought an XR6 turbo, why did you need 240kw? Do you think you are better than everyone else because you have a fast car? All it does is degrade fuel economy for the sake of being able to shred your license. I've owned a Territory and now an XR6T, the Territory is a much more comfortable and practical vehicle and I wouldn't be surprised if I was back in a new one next year.

And also, don't take Top Gear too seriously, they are entertainers. And as said above, Jeremy has the Volvo softroader, which he reviewed as brilliant.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic, I'm really liking the new rear bar/ fake exhaust outlets, I don't care if they are fake, they look the goods. I wasn't sure on the overall design at first but it looks like Ford has done it again, now hopefully they update Falcon in the same way.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #479
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Back on topic, I'm really liking the new rear bar/ fake exhaust outlets, I don't care if they are fake, they look the goods. I wasn't sure on the overall design at first but it looks like Ford has done it again, now hopefully they update Falcon in the same way.
What a great opportunity to change the whole look of both vehicles in a cost efficient way.
I hope that Ford will follow through with this on FG II while Holden thinks its done enough with VE II.
All it takes is the new lights, different bonnet and that new plastic nose, Ford would be crazy not to do it.
They have a real chance to revitalize flagging Falcon sales by copying changes to Territory.
Old 24-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #480
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I'd actually be very upset....because it would make turning over my current G6ET for a (restyled "Terryesque" FGII) completely justified while the new Terry also does more then enough to get me into one of these. In fact back in '08 I chose the G6ET because a Terry back then would have been 7 years old design-wise by the time my 3 year finance would end. I love the G6ET and have had a huge sof-soft for Terry from the time I drove one in late 2003.....maybe I need a 3-car garage....

On a side note who also has a changed feel on Ford's future. I must admit a few months ago I didn't think it was going well, MD gone, sales flagging....it's amazing what new product can inject into the overall impression and "vibe".
And lately Ford/FPV have outplayed Holden/HSV on release dates, info etc....and most importantly actual product.
Also maybe Ms Ford should visit Australia more regularly, with a cheque book in hand.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 24-12-2010 at 08:58 AM.