Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #391
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
There - you already have answered why Ford haven't gone and spent 100 bazillion dollars on some fang-dangled Territory with a complete new body or interior - no one will really notice in the end - it would be a waste of money and time!

I personally think Ford will have done enough to show they are looking after the interested customer - rather than someone who probably isn't even in the market for it. Or is a new rear and side design more important than a new diesel engine or new technological features - which actually sell the cars, rather than how different they look to the car that was release 6 years ago, that, other than an enthusiast, wouldn't remember anyway?

By the way, I'm not trying to rip you up, I just think you are expecting the wrong things from Ford...
Yes, thank you.
-The RWD Territory is currently getting by with a 4-speed auto relic
- AWD is given the ZF 6-speed auto
- The lack of diesel option is absolutely killing Territory sales.
- That 2004 mundane interior is really strugling against newer competition

Yet through all of that Territory still musters just under 1000 sales a month,
Captive gets around 1300/month and twice over refreshed Kluger gets 1,500/month.

New Territory with bold nose, new interior, ZF across the board and V6 diesel will sell its head off.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #392
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I agree lack of diesel is killing sales and with a 6 speed through all models the driving experience with the lower models should push more terries out the door.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #393
Bobman
Regulator

Porsche 911 has had the same basic design for 47 years yet it's still a motoring icon and sells well.

Can't make everyone happy though! ;)

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #394
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the more I look at it, the more I love it, it has character.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #395
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Will you please wait and check out the car in person and then make up your mind.
I like it, I just don't think it's enough in the long run. I'll happily shut up now until our new Territory launches, and hope I'm wrong.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #396
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I like it, I just don't think it's enough in the long run. I'll happily shut up now until our new Territory launches, and hope I'm wrong.
Thanks Danny, and I too hope the new Tezza is a big hit....

You may be right in the long run but don't forget that Ford has Explorer waiting in the wings
and although not engineered atm, a transverse version of the 2.7 V6 diesel exists (for PSA- Peugeot).
Fitting the V6 diesel to Explorer and Taurus - now there a thought compelling argument....

Last edited by jpd80; 21-12-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #397
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You may be right in the long run but don't forget that Ford has Explorer waiting in the wings
and although not engineered atm, a transverse version of the 2.7 V6 diesel exists (for PSA- Peugeot).
eeek dont even entertain that thought.... New Territory im betting will be a hit. Ford has learnt from FG.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #398
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
eeek dont even entertain that thought.... New Territory im betting will be a hit. Ford has learnt from FG.
Quote:
New Territory with bold nose, new interior, ZF across the board and V6 diesel will sell its head off.
Territory will be a hit, I'm just saying that globally, Ford has other options they could Explore....
Old 21-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #399
dylancox

Quote:
Territory will be a hit, I'm just saying that globally, Ford has other options they could Explore....
Territory will be exported this time around?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #400
The Snout

Quote:
I for one will not accept criticism because I won't say 'I like it' just because it has a Ford badge. Blue oval or not, as much as I love Ford, I can't do that. I have based my opinion on what's been shown, you don't have to agree, and if Ford decide to unveil a different car that looks great, I'll happily sit down and shut up.

I hope we're not all just blind sighted, and expect the Territory to sail through clear waters. In 2004 the car excelled, looked great, and blew what we thought about Australian cars out of the water. This car will be great, dated side profile or not. It'll drive wonderfully, be built better, be better equipped, and yes, it will look better. But this time around, it has some serious competition. And guess what, no amount of black tape can hide that fact.
^ Finally someone that won't accept being third best to Kluger and Captiva.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #401
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox

Is it just me, or do the two look like sisters?
Nope, it's just you.
I think you may want to look at the perspective of which these two shots have been taken and how it has made the proportions all askew; they're very dissimilar.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #402
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
My god, you can not be serious? Various sources who we all know are connected to Ford have confirmed this is pretty much what we'll be getting. Are you all expecting some glossy photos and pretty colours to mask the fact this is still the same Territory we had in 2004, this time with a pretty new face? It's all pretty much there, and if you can't look beyond some minor black tape others have photo shopped the tape out of the images.

I for one will not accept criticism because I won't say 'I like it' just because it has a Ford badge. Blue oval or not, as much as I love Ford, I can't do that. I have based my opinion on what's been shown, you don't have to agree, and if Ford decide to unveil a different car that looks great, I'll happily sit down and shut up.

I hope we're not all just blind sighted, and expect the Territory to sail through clear waters. In 2004 the car excelled, looked great, and blew what we thought about Australian cars out of the water. This car will be great, dated side profile or not. It'll drive wonderfully, be built better, be better equipped, and yes, it will look better. But this time around, it has some serious competition. And guess what, no amount of black tape can hide that fact.
I think it's safe to assume that as many of us have driven the territory, have experienced ford lift its game from the BF to the FG, that we can anticipate the improvement that this new vehicle will have. We're all familiar with fords, we all know that they have a certain way of handling; a certain confidence and personality not experienced in many other brands of which I won't name names - but rhyme with boy boater.
No, I think from the current offering and the changes between BF to FG we can have a sense of the direction Ford is taking; and in the RIGHT way.
I for one am excited about it, I love the look and think it truly is a testament to the passionate people of Ford Australia that they have something that is finally a competitor. After all, whilst in 2004 we were all blown away by Territory, it had the handicap of weight, engine and lack of diesel (which I can't fathom the appeal of. Ever had to wait behind a semi at a servo for the diesel bowser only to find out he's putting 1200 litres in his truck? Where's your global warmenings now?)

Anyway, I think we can get excited knowing what this car will do, it looks as though they've taken the conservative goggles off and built something which is aggressive, stylish and purposeful.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #403
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Third best?! Um... Sales don't dictate how good the car is mate - what, do you think the Falcon is completely **** then?

I think Ford is trying to make every car they make profitable before they even try to attempt to dominate the market. As Holden proves - you can sell more cars at a loss than less at a profit...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #404
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Nope, it's just you.
I think you may want to look at the perspective of which these two shots have been taken and how it has made the proportions all askew; they're very dissimilar.
They are? I can see a lot of similarities.

Did the missus test - who knows zero about cars. Asked her if they're the same car, she looked for about 5 seconds and said yes.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #405
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Side profile from the Territory 1
Rear End from the Commodore Sportwagon
Front End from the VW Scirocco

Looks alright but that front end doesn't gell with the rest of the car imo. I guess once we see the final result we should get a better picture.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #406
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

the **** end of that SSV looks farken hot though,hopefully the ghias have that chrome trim there
Old 21-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #407
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
- That 2004 mundane interior is really strugling against newer competition
That's the number 1 reason a bloke at work didn't buy one early this year, the interior was from 2004 and full of the BA Falcon's ill-fitting plastics.

If the FG interior is anything to go buy, the new Territory's interior should be a pearler.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #408
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have made the rear window a little smaller, with a matching side rear window profile that sweeps up higher, to make it look more modern overall. Wouldn't have been much more work to do that
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #409
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

New Ford Territory unmasked

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577FF0023FE1E

Quote:
Ford’s 2011 Territory emerges almost completely undisguised three months early
20 December 2010
By MARTON PETTENDY
FORD’S heavily overhauled 2011 Territory has emerged virtually undisguised at least three months ahead of launch.

Snapped by Ford Forums bloggers Brendan and Julian, these scoop images of the Blue Oval’s comprehensively facelifted homegrown SUV have surfaced less than a week after Ford Australia commenced a drip-feed reveal campaign for its crucial new model by revealing a striking official sketch of the new-look mid-size soft-roader.

The four images of a lightly camouflaged petrol-powered pre-production prototype – shot in a suburban Melbourne shopping centre carpark - confirm the upgraded Territory will feature the same bold Audi-like lower grille and triangulated headlights as seen in the sketch.

They also reveal the revised Territory’s hitherto unseen rear-end, which is less dramatically different but will feature a new tail-light design that echoes that of the next-generation Focus small sedan, which goes on sale alongside the all-new Focus hatch in Australia late next year.

Together, the 2011 Territory’s front and rear lighting treatments form a major part of a new worldwide SUV design theme for Ford, which was developed by Ford Australia and will be a progression of the brand’s global ‘Kinetic’ design language.

Although the images, which appear to depict an entry-level variant without the lower LED daytime running lights suggested in last week’s sketch, show next year's territory will come with fresh bumpers and new bonnet and front/rear quarter panels, they also revealed there will be no change to the Territory’s roofline or doors.

As we’ve reported, when it goes on sale in March or April next year the new-look crossover wagon will also preview a facelift for the Falcon upon which it is based – six months later in the third quarter of 2011, when turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost and Liquid Phase Injection (LPi) LPG powertrains will also debut.

While Ford’s redesigned Ranger one-tonne utility will also be released here around the same time – making 2011 an unprecedented year for new model launches from Ford – the six-year-old Territory’s big-ticket item will be the availability of diesel power for the first time.

To be offered in tandem with the Territory’s (and Falcon’s) long-running 4.0-litre inline petrol six, the new Jaguar Land Rover-sourced 2.7-litre V6 turbo-diesel engine is expected to reduce fuel consumption from a current minimum average of 11.6L/100km to around 8.0L/100km.

Finally matching its direct rivals like Holden’s Captiva, the Territory’s European-built diesel engine delivered 140kW of power and 440Nm of torque in Land Rover’s superseded Discovery, which delivered combined fuel economy of 10.2L/100km but weighed up to 500kg more.

As such, matched with the same slick six-speed ZF automatic transmission that is matched with its petrol engine in premium models, the Territory diesel should also lift towing capacity from the outgoing petrol model’s 2300kg.

Last week Ford said the 2011 Territory would come with a “heavily updated” interior, which like its exterior should herald next year’s updated FG Series II Falcon cabin and should include circular rather than rectangular air-vents and extra chrome highlights to deliver a more cachet value.

Other new technologies should include bi-Xenon headlights, voice-activated audio controls and, possibly, FoMoCo’s MyFord hard-drive multi-media system.

Reflecting Ford’s facelifted Mondeo line-up, the 2011 Territory range could also be crowned by a new ‘Titanium’ flagship in the model’s first update since a new bonnet, headlights and front bumper were added in May 2009.

Whether the new look, more upmarket feel and diesel engine can reverse a trend that has seen Territory sales fall by more than half since its first full year of sales in 2005, when the all-new Geoff Polites-inspired SUV turned Ford Australia’s fortunes around by finding more than 23,000 homes, remains to be seen.

During the same period, the Territory’s share of the red-hot medium SUV market has slumped from 33.5 per cent in 2005 – around the same as that now commanded by Toyota’s Kluger and Prado combined - to 14.1 per cent this year.

Currently, sales of the all-petrol SY Territory are up by 10.8 per cent, to 10,699 sales, in a segment that’s up 26.7 per cent. Some Ford dealers are offering discounts of almost $8000 on some models, with entry-level five-seat rear-wheel-drive TX variants on offer for $35,990 drive-away.

Curiously, the fresh Ford Forums images preceded today’s second instalment of Ford’s staggered release program - a press release explaining camouflaging techniques for developmental models, accompanied by images of the current Territory and next-year’s all-new locally engineered Ranger ute in disguise.

Ford revealed that its use of stretchy Lycra material to camouflage its upcoming Ranger and Territory models during development was pioneered by the FG Falcon.

Presented as an example of Ford Australia’s access to its parent company’s latest engineering techniques under the ‘One Ford’ vehicle development mantra, Ford said the spandex-like car-bra material it uses must be durable enough to withstand harsh Australian conditions and to be reusable in order to reduce costs.

Ford says that along with vinyl, foam, vacuum-formed plastic and fibreglass, Lycra is just one material its prototype team is using to disguise the many development mules it continues to test as part of its aggressive model rollout in 2011.

“These days most people have a camera phone so we have to be extra careful when we use public roads with a prototype,’ said Damian Lavric.

“It is a difficult job because we want to keep driving vehicles in real-world conditions but we don't want to inhibit key vehicle functions at the same time, like engine cooling.

“It's ironic because we want to disguise the vehicles and hide all the details, but all the stickers and camouflage draw the attention we are trying to avoid.”

Ford said its role as global development leader for the new Ranger, codenamed T6 and to be sold in 180 markets, presented new challenges because it required detailed full-body camouflage capable of withstanding everything from icy European winters to the extreme heat of the Australian Outback and Middle East desert.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #410
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Is it confirmed the headlights will be the same across the board? Or any idea if they'll be all projectors, but low series still halogen and high series HID's?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #411
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I want to know if it has conering headlights!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #412
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's that front grille I really don't like. Reminds me of looking front on at a potato cod. Or an audi. Same thing really.
I'll need to put plan B into action, anyone got a land lover freelander?
Old 22-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #413
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

For those not also following the thread in the Territory section XR8320 has spotted and taken pics of an unmasked black one in trafiic that's also wearing new wheels.

Link => http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...82#post3492582

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
I'll need to put plan B into action, anyone got a land lover freelander?
Nice plan B gz1 ;)
Old 22-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #414
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They need to concentrate their marketing in three areas - Australian made, offer only an AWD (get rid of the 2 WD completely), ensure it's got a 5 star safety rating and then plug it like Subaru did. AWD safety for the family. Then there's the diesel option which needs a big plug too, for family fuel economy.

They need to ensure the Aussie made thing to beat Captiva, they need to ensure they get the message across on family safety to get near Kluger & Prado.

If the quality is there then it will take care of itself.

Oh, a receptive & unbiased media would be nice on launch too.
Old 22-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #415
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
They need to concentrate their marketing in three areas - Australian made, offer only an AWD (get rid of the 2 WD completely), ensure it's got a 5 star safety rating and then plug it like Subaru did. AWD safety for the family. Then there's the diesel option which needs a big plug too, for family fuel economy.

They need to ensure the Aussie made thing to beat Captiva, they need to ensure they get the message across on family safety to get near Kluger & Prado.

If the quality is there then it will take care of itself.

Oh, a receptive & unbiased media would be nice on launch too.

i wont be updating unless you can get the rwd with the 6 speed auto and diesel option..stick the marketing, how about looking after the buyers needs first.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #416
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
They need to concentrate their marketing in three areas - Australian made, offer only an AWD (get rid of the 2 WD completely)
Umm 60% of the Territory's sales are RWD only variants!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #417
martynh
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Have you driven a Captiva? I'm not particularly a Ford fan, this is only my second Ford, but IMO there's no comparison between the Terry and Daewoo Holden Craptiva.

Regarding the new model I like the look of it, I do wish the side profile had changed more though. I'll be looking at replacing my Territory in a couple of years and it will be a toss up between a nearly new one of these or an older Discovery 3/4....
martynh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #418
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Umm 60% of the Territory's sales are RWD only variants!
Yeah that's true, but what sets it apart from the competition? 60% of third in the market segment? Wow.

I also suspect it would be a pricing thing. If they went AWD on the whole range they wouldn't need to integrate two drivelines in the build, the AWD/6 speed auto option would get cheaper.

It needs to be more than just a high riding Falcon.

Just my thoughts, that's all.
Old 22-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #419
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynh
Have you driven a Captiva? I'm not particularly a Ford fan, this is only my second Ford, but IMO there's no comparison between the Terry and Daewoo Holden Craptiva.

Regarding the new model I like the look of it, I do wish the side profile had changed more though. I'll be looking at replacing my Territory in a couple of years and it will be a toss up between a nearly new one of these or an older Discovery 3/4....
Even Aussie built Fords have better build quality & resale than Land Rovers. That's saying something. I speak from experience.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #420
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah that's true, but what sets it apart from the competition? 60% of third in the market segment? Wow.

I also suspect it would be a pricing thing. If they went AWD on the whole range they wouldn't need to integrate two drivelines in the build, the AWD/6 speed auto option would get cheaper.

It needs to be more than just a high riding Falcon.

Just my thoughts, that's all.
Keep in mind that we're talking about a vehicle that's been ridden into the ground with a very ordinary interior,
a 4-speed auto only transmission on RWDs, the lack of a diesel option is absolutely cruelling sales.

In spite of that,
Territory still manages just under 1000 sales a month compared to Kluger 1500 and Captiva (1300 odd),
not bad for a mistreated vehicle, it's has huge potential with serious updates and diesel.

So while we may be focusing on a few perceived shortcomings with the refresh, I believe that on the whole,
Ford have done enough to make Territory look fresh and more importantly competitive with the diesel competition.

Last edited by jpd80; 22-12-2010 at 02:38 PM.