Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
TomXY
XY

Default Sandblaster Help?

Hey Everyone,

Im thinking of buying a sandblaster to clean up little bits and pieces in the engine bay.

-I would just like to know what size compressor i would need for it to work using a 10 gallon sandblaster? We have a 1/2 hp compressor, but would this be strong enough for removing all the paint off metal?

-Also i was thinking of using it WITHOUT a special sandblasting box, would it be ok to just spray it onto the ground? :ticking:
(Leave near the beach so no problem on how much sand we use)

Thanks to anyone who can answer either of those questions!

Tom

Old 18-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Bluefreak

Hey Tom, I don't think a 1/2 horse compressor will do the job... All the compressors I've seen capable of maintaining the 25 CFM minimum requirement for a 10 Gallon balster, are 3 phase... I'd hazard a guess that you'd need something around the 5+ HP motor to pump 25CFM.
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Agrees with Bluefreak the 1/2 hp wont do the job. I have a 1+1/2hp 15cfm compressor it could NOT keep up to my small $35 sand blaster. But it did clean up parts extremely well. I ended up taking it and my parts to work 200+psi is the G>O. I didn't want to burn out my compressor. Plus the wife was constantly nagging me about sand blowing everywhere.
I used very fine "river washed" sand from an old creek bed out of town for medium. First i dried it right out on a bit of corrugated iron over shed fire place then screened it threw and old bit of fly wire. Damp sand would not suck threw the pipe and it was a very sharp medium.
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
niko
likes falcon's

i think they come in a box with radiation style gloves for a reason lol

got a thermostat housing blasted just the other day, came up awesome!
Old 18-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

I have heard that sand blasting is to rough, it takes to much metal off. Beed blasting is the go. Is that right or just the beed blasting company wanting to make money.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPcoupe
I have heard that sand blasting is to rough, it takes to much metal off. Beed blasting is the go. Is that right or just the beed blasting company wanting to make money.
Bead blasting is much gentler but more expensive... If you were to run your blaster at it's minimum nozzle pressure, allow a little more gap between the job and the nozzle and have some patience all should be OK... Guess it depends whether or not you want a mirror finish in the engine bay, beads would be the go then...

Edit: sorry XP, I confued you with the thread author...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 02:40 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

I run a cheap sand blaster on a 13cfm Renegade compressor.

I use garnet as it seems fine enough to be picked up without being overly harsh.
Just got to wait for the compressor to fill, dont over work it and give it a break.

Seems to be fine.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post