Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Default Anyone else in South East Queensland...

...getting this glorious rain? it was bucketing down here last night on the way home from work, just had a good decent shower just then as well (im in carindale)

anyone getting it where its needed most? i havent heard if the dams are getting some

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
anyone getting it where its needed most? i havent heard if the dams are getting some
thats the billion dollar question

Loving it here on the Sunny coast, but it means i wont get my Front bar painted till later lol
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed Old Mate - very nice spot of rain. So needed isnt it.

Its a nice steady rain too, so hopefully its replenishing the underground water table.

Ive had a few looks at the weather radar from time to time. Dunno - I dont think Somerset or Wivenhoe are getting much but.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Well I live on the Broadwater on the Gold Coast, lots and lots of rain, all rushing down the drains and into the Ocean. Hits the ground and because its so dry it just runs straight off. Hopefully the huge puddles forming are soaking through...

But in the end, what do we expect? For a new dam to be built by the coast where the most rain is? We just need to look into different methods of obtaining the water we need. Rain is great, but fact is, there isnt enought to fill our dams and provide the ever increasing population with the resources we need. But thats another thread altogether...

I like rain, only because we dont get enough of it, otherwise i would be annoyed that i cant put washing out, my hair goes frizzy, my shoes get wet...

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Yer not much out roma way but
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm home early from work because it is raining...

I know we need rain and we need this lovely soaking rain, but hope it doesn't go to long (purely selfish reasons too... I know :( )

Just think how steamy it is going to be when it decides to start to fine up again though.. that I am not looking forward to :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
red_hotxr6
Banned

Hopefully wivenhoe is getting some of this.I hear the gold coast doesn,t want to share their water with us here in brisbane, well i hope their dams overfill and floods every where. boo hoo.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

do i recall correctly that Brisbane did not want to share either when we needed it down here?

Find your own bloody water!! Or move the whole city of Brisbane down to Tasmania! LOL

Look, i will be nice, a special offer for the poor Brisban-ites, if you bring a few empty milk bottles down to my house i will fill them up for you from my own tap. You can even make a day of it and bring your kids to a real beach as opposed to the one in the middle of Southbank..LOL

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 31-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
do i recall correctly that Brisbane did not want to share either when we needed it down here?

Find your own bloody water!! Or move the whole city of Brisbane down to Tasmania! LOL

Look, i will be nice, a special offer for the poor Brisban-ites, if you bring a few empty milk bottles down to my house i will fill them up for you from my own tap. You can even make a day of it and bring your kids to a real beach as opposed to the one in the middle of Southbank..LOL
Oh dear, did we step on some ones toes.No thanks i can fill up my own milk bottles from my own tap here in brisbane.Believe it or not.
Old 31-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Im only joking around. Geez.

At least im not saying i hope where you live floods.
Just saying i dont mind sharing, thats all...

Gee, i thought the LOL at the end of each line kinda showed i was joking, perhaps next time ill have to make that more clear!

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 31-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Hopefully wivenhoe is getting some of this.I hear the gold coast doesn,t want to share their water with us here in brisbane, well i hope their dams overfill and floods every where. boo hoo.

I'm not sure on the dam part.. a few people were saying today something about it isn't raining where the catchment for the dams are or it isn't raining enough there to make a difference..

We don't want smelly old GC water anyway :
Old 31-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Gee, i thought the LOL at the end of each line kinda showed i was joking, perhaps next time ill have to make that more clear!
I think you should lol
Old 31-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #13
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im only joking around. Geez.

At least im not saying i hope where you live floods.
Just saying i dont mind sharing, thats all...

Don't stress, I am sure most would realise you were joking.. but in future reference a quick tip for you.. (yeah, I learnt it this way as well - someone taking something the wrong way cos they didn't read the post properly)... put the rolling laughing emoticon and surely people will realise then
Old 31-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard on the radio that Wivenhoe and Somerset dams are getting next to none of it, those dams are completely in the wrong place!!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We got 80mm on Mount Tamborine today and 35mm yesterday, so my tank is full and overflowing.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #16
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spent last night in Northern Rivers and it bucketed there to. Was great to spend time driving in the rain - love it!!
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #17
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Care to explain that Whacking great pipeline and why it only flows south?
Old 31-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #18
HOON69
Banned

i got bogged in my yard
first time in 6months :
so yeah i dont mind the rain ;)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #19
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Care to explain that Whacking great pipeline and why it only flows south?

1. Joking
2. It doesnt mean that Brisbane WANTED to send any water down this way. lol
3. They made a state-wide position in government for this, 'water minister' or some thing along those basic lines. So its not controlled by bitching councils anymore anyway. In the end i couldnt care less if Brisbane wanted 'our' water, that was what i was conveying in saying i will share water out my tap, even if the council wont.

Gee Whiz, it is more stressful to try convey a light-hearted quick joke on here than it is to explain why the sky is blue. There should be a smiley with 'WARNING-THIS IS ONLY A JOKE, THE AUTHOR IS IN A FUN AND HAPPY MOOD, MEANS NO OFFENCE AND ONLY WANTS TO HAVE A LAUGH'...wasnt that what lol was 'invented' for, so i dont have to write that and try to think of a way to make sure that nobody reads it the wrong way...

The little smiley thing takes longer to find than simply typing LOL, and i thought they had the same meaning online, so i type that so that i spend less time procrastinating and get beck to my uni work.

The original post that i commented after by red_hotxr6 had no smiley, no LOL, sounded condescending, yet i am the one being told to be clearer... :

: : :Reverend: :eclipsee_ :hihi: : :1syellow1 :nutsycuck :

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #20
red_hotxr6
Banned

Actually since january 2005 the govt was telling us that there was going to be water restrictions come july. What they should have done is allt he new houses should have had water tanks built with the houses.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #21
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Actually since january 2005 the govt was telling us that there was going to be water restrictions come july. What they should have done is allt he new houses should have had water tanks built with the houses.
True, and require them all to have the 'water saving devices' like shower heads, taps etc.

But one major hurdle with the GC is tourism. We may have it bashed into our heads that we need to look for ways to conserve water but the tourists dont see the need. Despite hotels putting little signs up and writing a little paragraph in the Guest Services books about the drought and conserving water, one study i read said that only 30% or so realised there was a water concern. And one would imagine when on holiday, you want to take a nice long shower in the morning, go to the pool or beach, have another bath/shower, use services like clean bedsheets each day, 2 fresh towels each day etc.

It is the sort of problem with all little problems attached. It is an easy solution...get more rain over the dams!

Now, who do we have to see about changing the weather....lol

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #22
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
We got 80mm on Mount Tamborine today and 35mm yesterday, so my tank is full and overflowing.
Just checked the rain gauge (9.00 am Friday)... got another 35mm last night, so that's 150mm for the week. Wish we could share some around with those in need.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brisbane just needs a Cyclone to come over, and dump its load of rain over the catchment area.... Basically We will never get enough rain to keep up with consumption and growth... Unless we get a Cyclone or Weeks of our classic '70mm of rain in 2 hours' storms. (Which i miss... I like a good storm...)

Weather people have previously suggested this summer 'could' potentially be the wettest for quite some time... But this Media release puts that to bed......

Anyway, lets hope at some stage in the future, we can put away buckets and start using our hoses again....

I should add, one thing i dont like about rain/summer is it means i have to mow my lawn weekly or fortnightly! And after being brown since basically March, It has decided after a little rain to go nice and GREEN
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #24
red_hotxr6
Banned

Some scientist here in australia was saying yesterday that november and december were going to be very wet.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #25
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well,that is what i heard, and then found the BOM's press release... hard to argue with a goverment organisations press release......!!! :
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #26
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Sunny Coast doesnt want to give over land for you to dam, damn you all. lol roflcopter
We arent experiencing water restrictions because we arent over populated and under resourced. Now the Brissy folk want our water, so we should just hand it over huh? Or maybe another valley, in our neighbourhood, not yours, one with real families and businesses so it can be flooded. You have water restrictions because you live in an area that hasnt been well planned but its growth encouraged regardless, nor has it met its infrastructure expenditure requirements to meet that growth. The people of Brisbane loved the property market boom, but didnt think longer term about its repercussions on infrastructure. You (OK, your elected reps) have robbed Peter to pay Paul, and now the roosters are coming home to roost. They scrimped on infrastructure, but capitalised on new rates and stamp duties etc, spent it elsewhere, why should farmers, and people who've lived in a valley for generations be put out for that?

May want to think about whats important when local and state elections come about. Just a tip anyway. The blame is elsewhere, and its closer to home than it is to the people who protest about being put out by bureaucrats who milk the system and then make the people pay as they scrammble to cover their ar5es.

i feel for ya's, but expecting other areas to make up for your (generalisation) shortsightedness, is draconian and misguided. If you wont put forth the energy to work out who is to blame, and take steps to educate and motivate change, then why should we pick up your slack, while you dont bother? We aint Peter, and you aint Paul.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post