Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Ford Racing
Starter Motor

Default An eBay query

I have a problem, well its not really a problem but just a question.

I am looking at this item on ebay and found something i wanted for my car, it was over $1000. I looked to see the guy selling this was kinda local to me, so i sent him and email asking if i could have alook at the item before i purchased it. To which i got the response of 'why, what do you want to know, click buy it now and i will deliver it'. When all i wanted to do was look at the item to make sure i was getting what i wanted.

Is it unrealistic to ask to view something that is advertised ebay?

Ford Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Kryton

no, its not unrealistic at all.
id say to just move on and not buy from him at all. it may be something you really want but if he isnt prepared to show it to you first, then whos to say he even has the item. at the end of the day you could be out of pocket $1000.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Sounds dodgy to me. My first thoughts would be that he is a fake and will probably take your money and run. If he was local, I cant see why someone coming to have a look at the item would be a big deal. Move on and save your time and money I reckon.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
nb_351
building the xe...

leave him alone... ****** him... he wants to be like that, hes lost my business... seems dodgy... been stung a few times myself...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Stay well away...sounds too dodgy
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

ive inspected lots of items ive purchased off ebay.... sellers usually dont have a problem with it.... if i were you i'd shoot him another email asking whats so unrealistic about inspecting the item...ask him if its broken or weather he actually has it.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

A mate of mine did a similar thing, he rang the bloke and offered a cheaper price for cash ( set of heads) he went over and picked them up 20 minutes later.
I think this bloke is hiding something from you, even if he isn't, his attitude sucks.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't drop $1000 on something you can't see. You also want an address from them. If they won't supply an address your being shiftied. Anyone who buys from myself gets constant emails and any other details so I'm 100% contactable if need be. I even give my address to interstate buyers. If you've got nothing to hide why not reveal where you are.

What type of item are you looking at buying?

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
Ford Racing
Starter Motor

Just what i was thinking. I was looking at buying a motor and gearbox. I've got another story from this person, of the motor was brought from america and he had no reason to doubt it didn't work. I think i might just drop the idea.

I had a look at his feedback and all has been positive
Ford Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he wont show you don't deal....its sus.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Exactly, if the person is on the level, what's wrong with checking out the goods before hand....if it was for sale on the trading post you'd expect people to see things before they purchase them, why would ebay be different if you're local ???

I'd look elsewhere for what you want.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #12
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

hmm, yeah sounds dodgy, i have had interstate buyers interested in my old dunny dore, i contacted him and said i would remove his bid unless he was 100% sure he wanted to buy it - he replied that he was serious, so i left it - he pretended to be him mum in an sms saying he lost his license and no point buying it - meanwhile im out the cost of the ad, the cost of the car selling at that price and the other interested party gone... not to mention these ARE LEGAL BINDING CONTRACTS, so just be careful on what you do buy as if you buy and its dodgy, unless you can prove it he can sue you... had it happen to me when i bought 2 amps for 40 bucks and the guy didnt reply to emails about bank deposite, then he told me he would only sell them for 50 as his friend said sell them for him with a min of 50... unfortunately i didnt get to bash the ****** out of him for it, but i did leave bad feedback with bad follow up feedback

there should be a thread with ebay account names so we can check for car parts and bargains
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
HOON69
Banned

tried to sell my bike on ebay
got 2 buyers both time non payers and now im stuck with a fee
i luv ebay (NOT)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #14
jonk

And non payers get banned ! That's how it works.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 04:26 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

No they dont. 3 strikes or something first.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #16
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Racing - if you know where he is located then go for a drive and have a look for your self if nothing then dont worry about it...
the other option is COD but tell him if its not as description im not paying a cent

as for ebay ... well they could care less they will not do a thing, cops will say they cant do a thing cause it wasnt done in your state or wasnt big enough of a loss, in other words everyone wants something for nothing but no one is prepared to do it on their own backs...stuff him i say

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

If i was spending over $1,000 I would want security that you get what you pay for.

I was going to buy $1,500 worth of Alpine Gear off a seller who was based in Melbs, I said to him he was in Melbs and I am in Melbs so I want to pick it up. He said that it all gets delivered from a warehouse and customers aren't allowed to go there. So I said well you get it delivered from the warehouse to your house and I will pick it up from your house. Needless to say he didnt like that idea and gave me the spill that he has 100% feedback. I told him that I didnt know who he is and how his company was running, what his turnover is, what his profits are this year so where is my gaurantee he wouldnt go bankrupt the next day after I paid.

ANYWAY he didnt let me pick it up so I didnt buy it......SIMPLE

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
Ringo
I see you....

Hmmm 100% of people in reponse to this question have said to let it go.....I agree.

How many people sell stuff for their friends using their account?

Perhaps he has promised to buy the thing from a mate for $750 and is trying to see what he will get for it on ebay.

I have sold stuff for tens of dollars (and hundreds) and a few have come to inspect. I encourage it as it elimates the 'risk' in the bidders mind.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #19
shane3
FPV GT 0915

I was looking at buying a Cold Steel bowie on EBay from a guy in Richmond (20min drive) I sent him a PM asking if he would sell it now for $150.00 as the highest bid was only $80.00 and his reply was to buy it now for $300 AU (and then pick it up and pay cash in hand, the cheapest I can find on the net is $269.97 US) Well It didn't sell, as he said it was advertised else were and reserves the rite to pull it from auction, he still wants $300 AU for it.
This is the link to the knife $269.97

http://www.knivesplus.com/COLD-STEEL-FIXED.HTML
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #20
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is knivesplus.com in US$ if so? It's worth $355.43 AUD$ new. $300AU is good if it's new? It's probably worth $200 used.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
No they dont. 3 strikes or something first.
I had an ebay fight some time ago.

I won an ISDN concentrator that was supposed to be in Australia and complied with our standard (net3).
After I won it the vendor emails me that it is in Germany, uses a weird power setup and I need software to make it work (which he can supply at a good price) and I need to pay international freight.

I said "&%$%*&#@ you".

He said "$#%$#% you too" (in german) and reported me to ebay and I got a strike and terse email.

I replied to ebay pointing out the fraud and got unstruck while he got banned.

If this guy will not let you see it, it may be sus or he may be paranoid. Either way..... NEXT PLEASE.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #22
Miss_XR6

sounds very dodgy and sounds like someone who doesnt have the part and is just trying to rip people off i say look elsewhere or from another person on ebay
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
phoon
BOLLOCKS

I bid on an immaculate XP coupe, auction had no reserve price. I won the bid at $9000.00. I got an email saying the auction had been withdrawn. Contacted the guy and he told me he had another private buyer (not off ebay) who had offered him more 2 minutes after the auction finished. I asked how much, he said $11,000, but he would rather sell it to me if I wanted to match the $11,000. I told him to jam it and sell it the the "so called private buyer". Seen it 3 days later re - listed on Ebay. Complained to Ebay and they just didnt give a Stuff.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #24
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For $1000 I wouldn't pay before I buy nor saw it.
Old 16-08-2006, 01:55 AM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I had an ebay fight some time ago.

I won an ISDN concentrator that was supposed to be in Australia and complied with our standard (net3).
After I won it the vendor emails me that it is in Germany, uses a weird power setup and I need software to make it work (which he can supply at a good price) and I need to pay international freight.

I said "&%$%*&#@ you".

He said "$#%$#% you too" (in german) and reported me to ebay and I got a strike and terse email.

I replied to ebay pointing out the fraud and got unstruck while he got banned.

If this guy will not let you see it, it may be sus or he may be paranoid. Either way..... NEXT PLEASE.
So you actually got more than a response?

I asked a guy a question regarding a leather Momo gearknob. It was at $50AU, missus liked it, all black etc. The guy was fairly new to ebay but offered paypal, he had feedback of 3, all positive, but only 3. As the missus liked it for her car I thought Ill chance it, paypal at least. So anyway, I win the auction, he sends me a request for a money order. "Umm, no. What are your paypal details as offered in the listing?". He didnt know what I was talking about. I am not sending $50 to him as a gift, I investigate deeper as I should have before bidding.

So I look at the other auctions hes been involved in, only 2 are sill viewable. Theres the gearknob, clearly listed as non-genuine MOMO. Big red letters and in front of a NON MOMO box.

In his auction, his pic has it in front of a genuine MOMO box, and listed as genuine MOMO, assured me it was geniune in emails.

I email him, I aint paying you squat. I email ebay and let them know about this auction and the one he purchased it from. Clearly illustrating the fraud and included emails from him where he claims he had made an error in that pic, ??wtf??. They say its between me and him, nothing they get involved in.

Ive been a member since 04, had about 86 trades, about 30 sales, my feedback is 100% positive feedback. So mostly its fine, just gotta be careful. But he could leave a neg for me not going through with it and ebay would let it stand.

Theyve even changed the complaint system. You used to be able to actually select a complaint from the drop down menu, select "problem not listed", and type a message. Now all you can do is select from drop down boxes and send an item number. Most complaints they handle are where they lose, not you.

Bring on googlebay.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #26
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoon
I bid on an immaculate XP coupe, auction had no reserve price. I won the bid at $9000.00. I got an email saying the auction had been withdrawn. Contacted the guy and he told me he had another private buyer (not off ebay) who had offered him more 2 minutes after the auction finished. I asked how much, he said $11,000, but he would rather sell it to me if I wanted to match the $11,000. I told him to jam it and sell it the the "so called private buyer". Seen it 3 days later re - listed on Ebay. Complained to Ebay and they just didnt give a Stuff.
How shifty is that!!!! Hope the relist got no bids. Shonks like that deserve everything they get!!

Got any links??

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #27
ltd
Force Fed Fords

EBAY sucks.
It is where a trickle of legitimate trading is done amongst an ocean of fraud.

Quote: