Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Default Web Design

Just a question for those that do this either in their own time or professionally, how did you learn it ? TAFE ? School, Uni, Web Design for dummies etc ?

Also what are the must have things to learn (like Flash etc)?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

You dont NEED to learn flash, but it is good to know. I learnt by messing with programs, and it was a good enough way to land me a job. I also find itll help you to develop your own style that way, instead of how some other person likes to do it.

Its also amazing how fast you can learn something when you HAVE to.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
XRated
Shoot.

Flash is one of the most common multimedia platforms and is found on 97.5% of Internet desktop computers ;) I think it has even more potential.

I taught myself HTML, then CSS. I haven't really gotten into PHP, SQL, ASP etc but I will hopefully do some soon.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im doing a Cert 2 in multimedia at school, im in year 11 and got put into the year 12 class, and im pretty much blitzing it. Lol i've always had a huge interest in that sort of stuff. At the moment im really playing around with flash, always used photoshop and im a confident user of that. I suggest just fiddle and fiddle, read abit online, and teach yourself is the simplest if you wanna have some fun.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

As nice as Flash can make websites look, it is overkill 95% of the time. You would be amazed at how many of the flashiest sites don;t use Flash at all or sparingly. It has it's place but I feel it is overused. that's my 2 pence worth.

Sorry, I went off on a mini rant. I started by looking at other websites looking at the HTML behind the page I was interested in (don't tell anyone but this was back in 1994). When I had no clue about what was in front of me (the HTML code) I grabbed a "for dummies" type book and went through that.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Personally I HATE websites with flash. I just want to see whats in the site quickly and not have the whole show slowed down just to see some programmers toys load so I can say "Oohh! thats clever"

rant mode off
Old 07-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, i think if you incorporate some flash into html it looks awesome. Anyhu ive been meaning to give dreamweaver a go, might fire it up soon when i get a chance.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Flash is one of the most common multimedia platforms and is found on 97.5% of Internet desktop computers ;) I think it has even more potential.

I taught myself HTML, then CSS. I haven't really gotten into PHP, SQL, ASP etc but I will hopefully do some soon.
That's 97.5% of computers have A version of Flash - not the latest.

There are a lot of websites that I cannot view because the Flash 8 plugin is not available for Linux.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

self taught is my way of learning something extra, heres a tip get the programs that will help you have a play with EVERYTHING.....also theres a catch to this bit (copyright) but only if you sell or reprodcue it.....anyways go to a nice looking site and save it then open it in the program and have a look at how they did some things that how i did it.... then on the internet someone has made HUGE about 1-4gig flash movies on how to use the WHOLE macromedia suite every single button is covered

copyright is the biggest hurdle in web design so be EXTRA CAREFUL

also i tried a TAFE course in web design, very good though they (innisfail one) only covered the basic things i already knew....

but yeah anyways have a play with everything, threw a few tables in make the borders invisible, add css style sheets, have a play with php and asp (active server pages) << big money there trust me...also when you get use to designing and creating have a go at making your computer the server build a site on a HDD definently good fun

P.S. i dont endorse using pirated software, i wont be responsible for your actions..okies

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #10
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

As soon as i left school, i spent the next two years at Tafe and ended up with a Diploma in Website Design/Maintenance/Production. It pretty much covered everything you need to know about web design from backend stuff (networks, servers, hard coding to the grapihical stuff (manipulation of text, graphics, Asp, PHP etc...)

The main thing to learn above all is HTML. It is what all websites are based on. Once u master all aspects of it then the sky is the limit. But you must be aware the times change and new ways of doing websites are becoming second nature ie, flash.

Programs that I use

Macro Media Dreamweaver - This program does about everything you would want to do to a website. But i would suggest reading heaps of tutorials.

Adobe Photoshop - This program will handle all your image manipulation. You can also create a whole website out of it and save it in HTML format.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
XRated
Shoot.

Poor loading Flash sites are a sign of incompetent programming.. Use it sparingly & wisely and it's a great piece of multimedia software.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
big_pete
Sublime

Flash is great when used appropriatelly.
i only use it sparingly, when i feel its needed or the best solution.

the thing with webdesign is its constantly changing, with new technologies and browser etc etc.

ive done a Multimedia Course at uni and now doing a Digital Media tafe course, and ive still got alot to learn.
ive got the basics down pat, and im constantly working on my skills, especially my Graphic design skills as i believe looking good is as important as it working good (in most cases)
i still have no clue about php, asp etc, but ill hopfully leave that to someone else :P
Old 07-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
revhead24ads

I taught myself everything to do with web design along with help from thousands of websites. I started a TAFE course in web design but did not complete it, i only got as far as doing Network Administration.
But i personally think that if your learning web design yourself then just TRY THINGS, learn from other websites and have fun doing it. If it starts to not be fun anymore then STOP, thats what i did. I used to run a website about Craig Lowndes and Marcos Ambrose but it started to get too much for me to do it by myself and there was lots of bitching about with other &*^head's that ran other websites that i had enough.
So like i say just HAVE FUN and try DIFFERANT THINGS and IMPROVE YOURSELF.

Craig is my hero.
Jaimie's my mate,
Rick's lost his lolly bag,
so GO Triple Eight!
revhead24ads is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #14
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I run two websites and can confidently say to be a webmaster you dont actually need to know any flash or even any html. Both my websites are edited through dreamweaver mx. I dont know any html at all. I did have my template and initial design for one of my sites provided to me by big pete though.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #15
biomechanic
Freudian Slippers

If you're going to become a professional 'web designer' or developer, become familiar with Web Standards and Accessibility. Learn XHTML and CSS.

Here are some resources for you:
www.alistapart.com
www.australianinfront.com.au
www.sitepoint.com
www.zeldman.com
www.webstandards.org
www.adaptivepath.com
www.were-here.com
www.maxdesign.com.au
www.maxdesign.com.au

I've been a professional designer/developer for nearly 10 years, so if you need anymore advice just PM me

// JMM "Street Fighter" Headers
// JMM 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust
// JMM Ignition Leads
// JMM Hi-Performance Valve Springs
// Mandrel bent intake
// K&N Pod Filter
// 17" x 8" GT wheels
// 130+ rwkw
biomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
HLC
Audi S3